• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MarkM (296 posts) -

Photo-realistic graphics and shit, you know it's going to happen.

Source engine was flawless and had the most revolutionary physics system in the first person shooter since Trespasser.

Assuming HL3 is going to be on valves new engine, we can expect this coming generation to continue the current golden age for another 5-6 years.

Left4Dead 3, Counter Strike 2014, Gary's Mod 2.

I can't even handle it.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12117 posts) -

Okay.

#3 Edited by MarkM (296 posts) -

Beach, the fuck you know about Trespasser? You ever knocked over some paint cans with a rock before?

#4 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

That's what they said when the PS2 was launched.

#5 Posted by MarkM (296 posts) -

PS2 had no games, bro.

#6 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1130 posts) -
"Yo, I'm photo-realistic and shit!"

#7 Posted by spiceninja (3064 posts) -

So it'll look kind of old and run at 24 fps?

#8 Posted by MarkM (296 posts) -

ENTHUSIAST SETTINGS!!!!!!!!111

#9 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Sounded a bit strange when they hadn't even finished Half-Life 2.

#10 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, I was too distracted by the video of David Beckham playing in the right hand side.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (12117 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Well, technically they still haven't finished Half-Life 2:P

#12 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11335 posts) -

I love threads like this because it's so dumb.

#13 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

I enjoyed reading this one.

#15 Posted by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

lol

#16 Edited by Andorski (5345 posts) -

Half Life is overrated garbage. Discuss.

#17 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1820 posts) -

Go back and watch the original Toy Story, it still looks good, but not that good. The ground textures in particular look worse than current games.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4423 posts) -

People like you still exist?

#19 Posted by fisk0 (4306 posts) -

Does anybody else remember how photorealistic graphics were just a year or two away back in 1994? With stuff like Myst, VR headsets and the FMV game wave, photorealism was just around the corner. I think we still have a decade or so to go, and even that is probably on the optimistic side.

#20 Posted by TheHT (11555 posts) -

@markm said:

Beach, the fuck you know about Trespasser? You ever knocked over some paint cans with a rock before?

I like you.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (12117 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

Does anybody else remember how photorealistic graphics were just a year or two away back in 1994? With stuff like Myst, VR headsets and the FMV game wave, photorealism was just around the corner. I think we still have a decade or so to go, and even that is probably on the optimistic side.

Well, to be fair, a lot of FMV games were already entirely photorealistic.

#22 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3225 posts) -

>IMPLYING

#23 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

@mooseymcman: Yea, this post is garbage, phrased in such a way to imply that it is referencing a quote as far as the HL3 development, but nothing of value is here.

What the actual fuck are you even trying to say here

#24 Posted by mlarrabee (2999 posts) -

@andorski said:

Half Life is overrated garbage. Discuss.

Hey, it's a better tech demo for Source than the id games are for idTech. In my own opinion, anyway. (I liked Doom 3.)

#25 Posted by Itwongo (1218 posts) -

>Toy Story

>photorealistic

Wait, is this 4chan?

#26 Posted by benpicko (2011 posts) -

Hopefully not the first Toy Story

#27 Posted by benpicko (2011 posts) -

Why are so many people in this thread shrektexting

#28 Posted by Korwin (2903 posts) -

Just like Mario 64

#29 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

man, but what if left4dead3 was left3dead4, cuz you kill the other three cuz you dont trust them or something maybe rob a bank?

#30 Edited by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@believer258 said:

Well, technically they still haven't finished Half-Life 2:P

I meant the "games will look as good as Toy Story!" bit, not that "games will look as good as Half-Life 2!" bit. Though, to be fair, Half-Life 2 eventually did come out on a console that gen. Just not the PS2.

But there is a more pressing issue in this thread.

@_zombie_ said:

@wolfgame said:

@mooseymcman: Yea, this post is garbage, phrased in such a way to imply that it is referencing a quote as far as the HL3 development, but nothing of value is here.

What the actual fuck are you even trying to say here

Specifically, this. It's like someone knows how to spell a bunch of words, but has no idea how to make a decent sentence out of them.

#31 Edited by Korwin (2903 posts) -

I'd also like to point out that Toy Story in real time has been possible for ages. The old Pixar stuff was done using rasterisation just like we do these days with any modern hardware and the majority of the scene detail was spent on character assets. If you sit down and actually look at Toy Story these days you can see the cut corners as clear as day (the scuff marks and scratches on the base of Andy's door for instance are a bunch of super low res normal maps).

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@korwin said:

I'd also like to point out that Toy Story in real time has been possible for ages. The old Pixar stuff was done using rasterisation just like we do these days with any modern hardware and the majority of the scene detail was spent on character assets. If you sit down and actually look at Toy Story these days you can see the cut corners as clear as day (the scuff marks and scratches on the base of Andy's door for instance are a bunch of super low res normal maps).

So Toy Story can run on the Xbox 360, then that means Cars can run on my Xbox One?

#33 Posted by Korwin (2903 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@korwin said:

So Toy Story can run on the Xbox 360, then that means Cars can run on my Xbox One?

Lol, nope. Cars is a post Pixar ray tracing world (I think they moved to Ray Tracing with Toy Story 2), that shit's expensive as hell.

#34 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's like someone knows how to spell a bunch of words, but has no idea how to make a decent sentence out of them.

Are you saying that Shoji Meguro created this thread?

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

lol

#36 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@believer258 said:

It's like someone knows how to spell a bunch of words, but has no idea how to make a decent sentence out of them.

Totally.

Apparently whoever said that baffling sentence has deleted his post because I can't find it. Well, we can always bitch about this:

@markm said:

PS2 had no games, bro.

or we can move on with our lives and pity the poor sods that actually think the PS2 has no good games. Or we can pity the poor sods whose lives are so terrible that they must take to trolling the internet to find entertainment.

Or we can just laugh and go play fun games.

#37 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

The opening of Halflife 3

#38 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I often find I have the opposite problem, I know a lot of words, but can not spell them. So instead of attacking my argument, they attack my grammar. Oh wait... I guess we both have the same problem.

#39 Edited by slyspider (1305 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

The opening of Halflife 3

i was not excited at all, cause why the fuck would anyone be hyped about the meer mention of a game that has been MIA for years of gameplay progression in the genre, but I'm fucking pumped now. Day 1 and will get the day 1 dlc Woody's Life.

#40 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Toy Story has never looked realistic or graphics pushing to me...

#41 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Toy Story has never looked realistic or graphics pushing to me...

Realistic? No. Graphics pushing?...Yes. Have you seen the last movie?

#42 Posted by RecSpec (3864 posts) -

So you're strolling through Half Life 3, near the end of the game. Then you come across a guy with his back to you. His head turns a 180, oh fuck, it's Gordon Freeman. Then he speaks. Fin.

#43 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2510 posts) -

Gordon's first and last words are "You've Got A Friend In Me."

#44 Posted by EXTomar (4863 posts) -

Why can't Half-Life 3 look like MLP instead?

#45 Edited by GreggD (4508 posts) -

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@extomar said:

Why can't Half-Life 3 look like MLP instead?

Give it a few days and the talented yet ultimately misguided modding community will have that covered.

#47 Posted by EXTomar (4863 posts) -

I'm just saying that if Valve wanted to go for "shocking, jaw dropping graphics", what better show?

#48 Posted by Damodar (1430 posts) -

So it'll look kind of old and run at 24 fps?

24FPS LIKE CINEMA. SO CINEMATIC.

#49 Posted by ShaggE (6573 posts) -

Toy Story is the Half Life 2 of Scholastic-published novelizations of hit films that are the Finnegans Wake of movies that are the Citizen Kane of other movies.

#50 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

I heard it was being done in claymation.