• 62 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by valvefan84 (43 posts) -

Is there anyone here who agrees with me that the first Halo game was great but the sequels are probably the most overrated games ever? Or the whole Halo series itself is overrated?

#2 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

For me, Halo 2 delivered excellence in all the ways I expected it to.  Halo 3 did not.

#3 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

That's what the cool non-conformist people say.

#4 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Holy crap you are such a rebel Vavle.

#5 Posted by Destroyeron (356 posts) -

I had a lot of fun playing Halo 1, single and multiplayer, Halo 2 a little less and Halo 3 I played for the story, multiplayer I really couldn't care for at all now.

#6 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I liked Halo 1 alot, and played alot of multiplayer. When Halo 2 came out, I had had my full, so I got it for the single player. I didn't bother with Halo 3.

#7 Posted by dankempster (2259 posts) -

I played through Halo 1 over the course of a couple of weeks, and loved every minute of it. Halo 2, I have yet to finish, but then again I didn't give it much consideration (I started playing it around the same time as FFXII came out). I haven't even thought about Halo 3. I'm sure I'll play through the whole trilogy eventually. As things stand, for me, the first is the best, but that is an admittedly unfair judgement given my position.

#8 Edited by xruntime (1920 posts) -

All three games' multiplayer were excellent. The first one was most memorable for me.

I agree with dankempster, I loved the first one and replayed it several times, the second one I just got bored of halfway through, and the third one I haven't played (I wait for the PC version).

#9 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

They're all pretty much perfect.
Halo 1 is notable for its bumpmapping everything and being revolutionary at the time.

#10 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

I essentially think Halo 1, 2 and 3 are exactly the same.  The only difference is that Halo 1 came out in 2001 so I consider it good for its time.  And didn't Bungie say somewhere that because of the crap ending that Halo 2 had that Halo 3's would be amazing?  Because I played Halo 3... and got to the end where the game is an EXACT cut/paste of Halo 1 and you have to do that stupid driving scene (essentially) 3 times.  And then I saw the ending and was like... "okay... what happened?  Why are they - oh... is that what happened?  Well this is anti-climactic." *Credits*

Oh, and what was up with that end boss?  Was that even supposed to be a boss...?

#11 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -

Halo bored me. but for the little I played it, it was fun. great multiplayer, as well.

#12 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
#13 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I don't know. I think Halo 1 is one of the best FPS games ever made. So I wouldn't call it overrated. As for the following 2, the multiplayer is so great that I can't gripe much about them, even though I did think Halo 2's campaign was garbage.

#14 Posted by sketch (194 posts) -

I don't dislike Halo, it's good fun in co-op, and people that say it is bad have obviously never played a bad game ( or they are FAR too intelligent for FPS games /sarcasm ). But I've played games I consider better, or were more influential i.e. Valve's games. Halo did a lot to improve console shooters, just as Goldeneye did, it raised the overall standard, but that standard was one PC games had already set for the PC years before. The consoles just took a bit of time to catch up.

#15 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3101 posts) -

I LOVE Halo 1. I almost bought an XBox for it. But then Halo 2 came out and really dissapointed me. Not sure what it was, but it didn't feel like a true upgrade. Halo 3 was what Halo 2 should have been. Bungie was just too late with that one.

#16 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
Tanuki said:
"I essentially think Halo 1, 2 and 3 are exactly the same.  The only difference is that Halo 1 came out in 2001 so I consider it good for its time.  And didn't Bungie say somewhere that because of the crap ending that Halo 2 had that Halo 3's would be amazing?  Because I played Halo 3... and got to the end where the game is an EXACT cut/paste of Halo 1 and you have to do that stupid driving scene (essentially) 3 times.  And then I saw the ending and was like... "okay... what happened?  Why are they - oh... is that what happened?  Well this is anti-climactic." *Credits*

Oh, and what was up with that end boss?  Was that even supposed to be a boss...?"
Yes, but that's the formula of the Halo series - most series are similar. Call of Duty is always going to be a very intense rambo shooter, Battlefield is always going to be a large-scale warfare game, etc. etc. Otherwise it would make more sense to give the game a new name if you re-invented it every single time. Sure, there are exceptions, like Half Life, where the second one has very little to do with the first.

And dare I say, its a pretty damn good formula because it's turned the franchise into a classic, and one of my favorites.
#17 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

I still play CE somtimes, its good.

#18 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -

Halo 1's multiplayer component provided one of the most competitive and well-balanced shooter experiences to ever grace a console, and had an enormous skill gap separating the seasoned veterans from the inexperience newcomers.

In regards to the multiplayer, Halos 2 and 3 aren't even fit to be called sequels -- Bungie butchered so much of the gameplay style that made Halo 1 a success that the two successors could be considered a franchise unto themselves.

#19 Posted by ZombieJesus (231 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Not really.  Believe it or not, for most people, Halo truly is that good.  Most people who say they dislike it just  ride this

caption


"
I couldn't agree with you more. It really annoys me that it is "cool" to hate a brilliant trilogy.
#20 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Halo: CE was awesome. 2 and 3 were not.

#21 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -
ZombieJesus said:
"I couldn't agree with you more. It really annoys me that it is "cool" to hate a brilliant trilogy."
the only thing more annoying would be thinking that everyone who doesn't like that series is just "hating".
#22 Edited by TEAMHOLT (438 posts) -

The Silent Cartographer stage pretty much summed up why I enjoyed the first Halo. Halo 2 and 3 never really recaptured that feeling of wide-open areas for the single player game, and Halo 2's multiplayer always irritated me for one reason or another. However, since they changed the way melee combat works in 3, I ended up enjoying it a hell of lot more than I ever expected to. I never though I'd say it back when I was playing the beta or after my achievement-fever with the game subsided, but it's one of my few and favorite Xbox Live games.

#23 Posted by normajean777 (450 posts) -

Halo 1 was good and fun with friends, halo 2 was good because it introduced me to online play, but halo 3 was just halo 2.5 the story was blah and the multiplayer was the same as 2.

#24 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

from my experience anyone hating halo a) didn't play it b) was terrible at it or c) disliked it. but it is awesome. oh and there's the cod fanboys

#25 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
TEAMHOLT said:
"The Silent Cartographer stage pretty much summed up why I enjoyed the first Halo. Halo 2 and 3 never really recaptured that feeling of wide-open areas for the single player game, and Halo 2's multiplayer always irritated me for one reason or another. However, since they changed the way melee combat works in 3, I ended up enjoying it a hell of lot more than I ever expected to. I never though I'd say it back when I was playing the beta or after my achievement-fever with the game subsided, but it's one of my few and favorite Xbox Live games."
That level was brilliant. As are my memories of tackling the first hunters I ever saw with a buddy in co-op. Halo 1 truly was a revolutionary console shooter. Halo 2 and 3, for what they're worth, hold no candle to it. Especially the sniper pistol. God, I love sniper pistols.
#26 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Halo 2 was the shit when it came out. Halo 3 got old fast.

#27 Posted by Dakota (248 posts) -

I think all the halo games are overrated, but I did enjoy all of them.

#28 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Halo CE wasn't overrated much, really. It brung the genre to a whole new level for consoles. Now Halo 2? Kinda overrated, but still a great sequel in terms of MP. Halo 3 is overrated, plentyful, it's still great and all, but after playing Halo 2 for years, I can't see myself playing H3 for many years like I did with the others, simply because there wasn't enough new brought to the table for me. It was playing it to safe on Bungie/MS' part.

#29 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"from my experience anyone hating halo a) didn't play it b) was terrible at it or c) disliked it. but it is awesome. oh and there's the cod fanboys"
logic, apply to any game. especially that last part.
#30 Posted by pause422 (6248 posts) -

Yep, Halo CE was the best in the series, its not even a competition. Don't bring forge into it either, you've been able to do a better job on Pc's for making levels for over 10 years.

#31 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Halo in general is overrated at this point. But I'd have to agree with the TC that Halo Combat Evolved was good - Halo 2 and 3 are just "fillers".

#32 Posted by HitNRun (344 posts) -

Halo CE was Goldeneye with aliens, lasers*, more polygons, and a bigger draw distance. For people who had never had the party game shooter experience, it was definitely a world-opener. I'll admit that I was partial to the fluff of Halo CE (the story and especially the music). I just played through it recently and am surprised at how well that stuff has held up.

Halo 2 fulfilled my expectations of expanding the series' potential, Halo 3 did nothing like that at all but still was a solid title.

pause422 said:

Don't bring forge into it either, you've been able to do a better job on Pc's for making levels for over 10 years."
Bold, underline, italics. I'm not sure why people think this is groundbreaking. Half of the PC shooters released in the last decade plus have level editors.

*Don't say it, I remember the damn Goldeneye laser.
#33 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
HitNRun said:
"Halo CE was Goldeneye with aliens, lasers*, more polygons, and a bigger draw distance. For people who had never had the party game shooter experience, it was definitely a world-opener. I'll admit that I was partial to the fluff of Halo CE (the story and especially the music). I just played through it recently and am surprised at how well that stuff has held up.

Halo 2 fulfilled my expectations of expanding the series' potential, Halo 3 did nothing like that at all but still was a solid title.

pause422 said:
Don't bring forge into it either, you've been able to do a better job on Pc's for making levels for over 10 years."
Bold, underline, italics. I'm not sure why people think this is groundbreaking. Half of the PC shooters released in the last decade plus have level editors.

*Don't say it, I remember the damn Goldeneye laser."
but forge isnt just a level editor.  Way differerent.  You can make it into essentiallachos system.

No game has every had a real time map editor.   Spattering people with walls = win

Why cant people just accept the fact that Halo is really as good as they say?  Ever notice that despite everyone nearly playing it at a point, no one still plays madden on xbl?   Yet everyone still plays halo?  Yea, that shows you if something is overated.  Jees, just accept it.  Everyone who actually has Halo loves it.  THe only people who don''t are,. for the most part, people who have never played the game!  Wow, go figure!
#34 Posted by VyyyE (21 posts) -

I didn't think any of the Halo games were particularly good. I was always a PC gamer and I'm guessing it was different for consoles.

No I'm not a fanboy, I just never liked Halo.

#35 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

besides whats more awesome about halo 3 is that unlike 99% of other games bungie actually interacts with the community and keeps adding to halo 3.  like the much speculated auto update 2 fully fledged mapmaker. which must be like the biggest most awesome thing ever to be patched into a game if you can call that patching more like upgrading. all assuming that we assume correctly though :P

#36 Posted by normajean777 (450 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"besides whats more awesome about halo 3 is that unlike 99% of other games bungie actually interacts with the community and keeps adding to halo 3.  like the much speculated auto update 2 fully fledged mapmaker. which must be like the biggest most awesome thing ever to be patched into a game if you can call that patching more like upgrading. all assuming that we assume correctly though :P"
they do this in warhawk to that doesnt mean its a great game it just means they are great developers which bungie are.
#37 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Halo 2 is he best one out of all three of them and the only one that is over rated is 3.

#38 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

Halo 1: Awesome
Halo 2 (Xbox): Made Me Want To Kill Puppies On How Overrated It Was
Halo 2 (PC): Made Me Buy A 360 Controller
Halo 3: Well at least it's better than 2.
Just kinda wish the story would of been good at any point throughout the series.

#39 Posted by pause422 (6248 posts) -
Kenzo287 said:
"Halo 1: Awesome
Halo 2 (Xbox): Made Me Want To Kill Puppies On How Overrated It Was
Halo 2 (PC): Made Me Buy A 360 Controller
Halo 3: Well at least it's better than 2.
Just kinda wish the story would of been good at any point throughout the series."
Well, thats why Half Life shall remain the sci-fi king.
#40 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Halo CE is my favorite Halo out of the three, no doubt.

#41 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Shawn said:
"Halo CE is my favorite Halo out of the three, no doubt."
i agree
#42 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Agreed.

#43 Posted by Soap (3644 posts) -

Halo = geniunely awesome game, really well made.
Halo 2 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V.
Halo 3 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V, then add lighting effects.

The game is practically unchanged from the first, which for it's time was amazing. Personally though I don't think it fits well with more modern games such as COD4.

But, of course this is just my opinion and therefor will be cut down by some fanboi accusing me of riding some form of Halo related hate transport.

#44 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -
valvefan84 said:
"Is there anyone here who agrees with me that the first Halo game was great but the sequels are probably the most overrated games ever? Or the whole Halo series itself is overrated?"
I very much enjoyed the first Halo game.  Played the second one and was disappointed by it.
#45 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I assume that people that don't like Halo just don't like it because everyone else does like it, and because they were too busy playing their sophisticated fancy pants PS 2 JRPG's with sub dreamcast visuals.

#46 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
keyhunter said:
"I assume that people that don't like Halo just don't like it because everyone else does like it, and because they were too busy playing their sophisticated fancy pants PS 2 JRPG's with sub dreamcast visuals."
Yeah... all the people who don't like Halo 2/3 is because everyone else did like it... ?

Honestly I can see how someone might not have liked H2/3, since it might've been a bit too empty to some people (in comparison to Halo CE).

But it would surprise me that many people wouldn't like Halo CE, which apparently is very few, which is a predictable thing (since the game was great).
#47 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -
Soap said:
"Halo = geniunely awesome game, really well made.
Halo 2 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V.
Halo 3 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V, then add lighting effects.

The game is practically unchanged from the first, which for it's time was amazing. Personally though I don't think it fits well with more modern games such as COD4.

But, of course this is just my opinion and therefor will be cut down by some fanboi accusing me of riding some form of Halo related hate transport."
Actually, that's highly incorrect. On the surface, Halo is Halo; but, the differences between the gameplay of the three games, from a multiplayer standpoint, are enormous.

I don't feel like writing an essay on the subject (since I already have), but let me just say that if Halo 3 were an actual copy/paste of Halo 1's gameplay, yet it also included its current features and online play, threads like this one questioning its quality or suggesting that it is "overrated" would never see the light of day.
#48 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Halo CE was just one long ass level. The library.
Halo 2 and 3 are in my opinion far better.
Especially 3 since it added so much crap. And the co op was a blast.

#49 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Soap said:
"Halo = geniunely awesome game, really well made.
Halo 2 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V.
Halo 3 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V, then add lighting effects.

The game is practically unchanged from the first, which for it's time was amazing. Personally though I don't think it fits well with more modern games such as COD4.

But, of course this is just my opinion and therefor will be cut down by some fanboi accusing me of riding some form of Halo related hate transport."
um halo 1,2 and 3 play completely and utterly different to each other
#50 Posted by Soap (3644 posts) -
Fosssil said:
"Soap said:
"Halo = geniunely awesome game, really well made.
Halo 2 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V.
Halo 3 = Ctrl C, Ctrl V, then add lighting effects.

The game is practically unchanged from the first, which for it's time was amazing. Personally though I don't think it fits well with more modern games such as COD4.

But, of course this is just my opinion and therefor will be cut down by some fanboi accusing me of riding some form of Halo related hate transport."
Actually, that's highly incorrect. On the surface, Halo is Halo; but, the differences between the gameplay of the three games, from a multiplayer standpoint, are enormous.

I don't feel like writing an essay on the subject (since I already have), but let me just say that if Halo 3 were an actual copy/paste of Halo 1's gameplay, yet it also included its current features and online play, threads like this one questioning its quality or suggesting that it is "overrated" would never see the light of day."
Right ok, well I don't play Multiplayer and here is another problem I always have with the series. From a single player stand point I saw very little to no improvement throughout the series, and surely a game that got such high ratings as this can't be justified purely on it's Multiplayer. For the scores it got, it should have been a well rounded package all the way through, which it wasn't