Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3727 posts) 1 year, 11 days ago

Poll: Halo 4 Designer calls Hideo Kojima a sexist manbaby (488 votes)

He's right, and he's right to say so. 15%
He has a point, but should have just kept his mouth shut. 10%
STOP TALKING ABOUT SEXISM! I'm so sick of all of this! I don't care! 34%
He's right, Cortana is tasteful and non-sexualized. 13%
Well, looking at Cortana's current appearance suggests he's a giant hypocrite. 57%

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/06/halo-4-design-calls-out-kojimas-recent-sexy-character-quotes-brands-it-disgusting/

The actual quotes:

I don't care if this gets me in trouble. This character design is disgusting. Our industry should be better than this.

Industry is full of man babies. Ugh.

#151 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

@brodehouse: A good reason would be that the character has some sort of ability to control her skin pigment and can use it to blend in. He gave us a bad reason, in fact no reason would have been far better because you don't really need one but he threw a bad one out there.

@darji: How many times are you going to say it's nothing new? I don't give a shit about the character design and how it fits in, Kojima's tweet wasn't very appropriate and he probably shouldn't have said it.

#152 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@skytylz said:

@brodehouse: A good reason would be that the character has some sort of ability to control her skin pigment and can use it to blend in. He gave us a bad reason, in fact no reason would have been far better because you don't really need one but he threw a bad one out there.

@darji: How many times are you going to say it's nothing new? I don't give a shit about the character design and how it fits in, Kojima's tweet wasn't very appropriate and he probably shouldn't have said it.

Why not? It is not like he attacked people like Ellis did.. He just wantts to have fun on twitter and he always does. Good thing he does not give a fuck about these people if he did he would end like the apparently removed rape scene in Hotline Miami 2 because of these mobs.

#153 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Some of you guys are getting a bit out of hand here.

regardless of all this sexism talk that character design is juvenile as hell in my opinion, she looks like a 12 year old thought her up, there is nothing practical or subtle about her, she is basicly just distractingly stupid looking and out of place even in a MGS game. Simply put she is shallow looking at best and the only aspect about her that is defined by her appearance is her sexuality, if you disagree that's fine I guess but I can't see how anyone would not look at her and go "uhg".

As for the Cortana thing, she is not that level of over sexualized, even down to her body language in the picture she a huge margin is less hypersexualised than 'Quiet' is it? She is also an AI, which has always been portrayed as a naked lady. Halo has always handled its females in a tasteful way in my view now lets take a look at these two female solders designs and compare shall we?

If you don't like what's in the game, then don't buy it. Simple as that. Also, Cortana is way more sexualized than Quiet. SHE'S NAKED. The only difference is that she's blue. Since she's a computer program, it should be easy to put clothes on her, but no, they decided to keep her naked for whatever reason. David Ellis has no business calling Kojima sexist.

#154 Edited by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

As an American, I am a little tired of Americans telling people from other countries how to act, think, behave and express themselves. We need to learn to shut up. With that, I will as well.

#155 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@skytylz said:

What tweet? Also if you dont like his tweets dont follow him. So he wants a sexy character? Why is that a bad thing. I mean i find the ripped pantyhose dumb too, but who cares?

are you just stomping your feet saying "I'm offended!" to get attention or something? It doesn't matter. He's going to make the character look anyway he wants her to look, if you don't like it, don't buy his game. He can also say whatever he wants.

#156 Posted by big_jon (5726 posts) -

@missacre said:

@big_jon said:

regardless of all this sexism talk that character design is juvenile as hell in my opinion, she looks like a 12 year old thought her up, there is nothing practical or subtle about her, she is basicly just distractingly stupid looking and out of place even in a MGS game. Simply put she is shallow looking at best and the only aspect about her that is defined by her appearance is her sexuality, if you disagree that's fine I guess but I can't see how anyone would not look at her and go "uhg".

As for the Cortana thing, she is not that level of over sexualized, even down to her body language in the picture she a huge margin is less hypersexualised than 'Quiet' is it? She is also an AI, which has always been portrayed as a naked lady. Halo has always handled its females in a tasteful way in my view now lets take a look at these two female solders designs and compare shall we?

If you don't like what's in the game, then don't buy it. Simple as that. Also, Cortana is way more sexualized than Quiet. SHE'S NAKED. The only difference is that she's blue. Since she's a computer program, it should be easy to put clothes on her, but no, they decided to keep her naked for whatever reason. David Ellis has no business calling Kojima sexist.

I can state my opinion as much as I like, so can David Ellis, Sexualization is not just about implied nudity either, if you disagree that's great, but sorry, you can't just shoot down an argument because you say it's so.

And this has nothing to do with me buying a game, this is me weighing in on something I feel pretty strongly about.

#157 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@skytylz said:

What tweet? Also if you dont like his tweets dont follow him. So he wants a sexy character? Why is that a bad thing. I mean i find the ripped pantyhose dumb too, but who cares?

are you just stomping your feet saying "I'm offended!" to get attention or something? It doesn't matter. He's going to make the character look anyway he wants her to look, if you don't like it, don't buy his game. He can also say whatever he wants.

Try to run around with a pantyhose and fight and you will rip it as well.^^

#158 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@big_jon: But you can not attack people and that is what Ellis did. He attacked Kojima and people who like MGS.

#159 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@darji said:

@clonedzero said:

@skytylz said:

So we're all agreed! She'd be better off just in the bikini!

We can close the thread now! We solved it guys!

#160 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@skytylz said:

Alright, now answer the other questions.

What would be a 'good reason'? Something that conforms to public ideology regarding sex, or gender? Why does there need to be a 'good reason' for him to make the characters however he desires? Would he need a 'good reason' if he wanted to have a male in sexually revealing attire? Would he need a 'good reason' if he wanted to have any other character in his game? Does Cho Aniki need a 'good reason' to exist? Does dys4ia need a 'good reason' to exist?

Why do you need a 'good reason' to design a character based on whatever criteria you want?

#161 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

@clonedzero said:

@skytylz said:

So we're all agreed! She'd be better off just in the bikini!

We can close the thread now! We solved it guys!

Yeah totally imagine he did that even more people would have cried foul there. I do not get whats so bad about a ripped pantyhose. Is it again some trigger bullshit? I really don't know. The only thing I remember is Madonna is having ripped pantyhose back then as well and no one called her out for being immature.

#162 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Hmmmm

Is your comparison supposed to be that women who dress in revealing attire are somehow worse than women in full body armor? Worse in what way, I wonder?

Feminists are often hanging up signs in schools that basically excoriate the school administration for having a dress code. You know "no low-cut tops, skirts down past knees, no visible thongs", that old shit. So feminists hang up signs that say "DON'T TELL WOMEN HOW TO DRESS, TELL MEN NOT TO RAPE". You know, because all teenage boys should be treated like rapists.

When it comes to a video game being created for adults, however, things are completely different. Now, not only should you tell (fictional) women how to dress, and tell them to put more clothes on because oh my god, what a harlot, it's also important to tell men (and even women) what they're allowed to find sexually attractive.

#163 Posted by Milkman (16782 posts) -

This thread is fucking terrible.

There is such thing as "middle ground", people. Not everyone okay with this is a misogynist man child and not everyone not okay with this is a sex-negative militant radical feminist whatever. Jesus christ...you're all insufferable.

#164 Posted by spraynardtatum (2943 posts) -

As an American, I am a little tired of Americans telling people from other countries how to act, think, behave and express themselves. We need to learn to shut up. With that, I will as well.

I like and subscribe to this. Sponsored by Wendy's.

#165 Edited by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

This kind of bullshit (both the sensationalist nature of the 'news' and this topic.) is making me hate video games, and the people who talk about them, and the people who talk about people who talk about them, any myself for talking about the people who talk about the people who talk about them.

Holy FUCK.

#166 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5021 posts) -

@penguindust said:

But, this is the American Way.

#168 Edited by ThunderSlash (1722 posts) -

Guys, we need to realize the true meaning behind Ellis's words:

ManBabies.com is a pretty great site.

Also let me just emphasize this bit right here:

Yeah, that specific tweet was referencing that character, but in a Q&A yesterday, he clarified that it was just part of a larger directive to make things sexier, from women and men to the machines and weapons.

Q: You tweeted recently about updating your characters' designs, especially Quiet's, to be more 'erotic' and thus appeal to cosplayers. Could you clarify what you meant by that? And, Stefanie and Shinkawa-san, could you share what your reactions were to the idea?

Joosten(Quiet's actress): I was definitely surprised at first when I heard about it. But without giving anything away, Kojima-san has... Quiet has her reasons for wearing what she does.

Maybe we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions this early.
#169 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Yeah I'm not hearing a word of this due to Cortana. Also I don't care, boobs aren't offensive to my eyes.

#170 Posted by HerpDerp (133 posts) -

@aishan said:
@falserelic said:

@aishan said:

@falserelic: It's such a shame that the truth is ugly and annoying to you. Perhaps if you stick your fingers in your ears and wish hard enough you can save your sanity by refusing to acknowledge there are problems in our society.

There always been problems in are society since the beginning of time.

So because problems have existed historically, we shouldn't try to address them now? I'm sure ignoring them will lead to progress.

I was getting ready to say something that probably would end up upsetting people, but to avoid that I'm just going to leave it alone. You seem intent on trying to get a point across which is fine. I will say that people seem to blow things out of portion, or just beat people in the heads about sexism. Even though when its small things like character designs in video games.

I notice you often stick to your guns, and most of the time you like to encourage discussion with other people to hear their opinions on subjects. Open mindedness is an incredibly lacking trait here on the interwebs, I don't think you should let him get to you.

#171 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@milkman said:

There is such thing as "middle ground", people. Not everyone okay with this is a misogynist man child and not everyone not okay with this is a sex-negative militant radical feminist whatever. Jesus christ...you're all insufferable.

#172 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I think the design looks dumb and creative and it's a shame he is forcing this upon his artists. Maybe they could of come up with something better. Not too surprising from Kojima though considering some of his decisions from MGS3 and 4.

#173 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

I think the design looks dumb and creative and it's a shame he is forcing this upon his artists. Maybe they could of come up with something better. Not too surprising from Kojima though considering some of his decisions from MGS3 and 4.

So now Kojima is forcing this on people to make such chars huh? It gets better and better. Also Kojima again has one of the most interesting characters created in this whole industry. He does not do some 0815 bald space marine stuff but he has a lot of creativity in his characters.

#174 Posted by Hailinel (24733 posts) -

@milkman said:

#175 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3727 posts) -

@big_jon said:

As for the Cortana thing, she is not that level of over sexualized, even down to her body language in the picture she a huge margin is less hypersexualised than 'Quiet' is it? She is also an AI, which has always been portrayed as a naked lady.

And how did the MALE AI look when one appeared in Halo 4?

Also, why do the size of Cortana's breasts continue to increase with each game again? What specific story element explains that? I must have missed that one.

And yes, David Ellis likely didn't have anything to do with the design of either of these characters, but if you publicly criticize McDonald's for their unhealthy food, and you happen to work at Burger King, you're still a damn hypocrite.

#176 Edited by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

@milkman said:

Yeah I think I'm done with this thread. Giant Bomb isn't the best community to discuss things like this with.

#177 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I think Quiet is a dumb design and is completely laughable. I also think Japan as a whole has a few issues culturally regarding women, and that gets reflected in a lot of their character designs.

I also think games designed in the west also frequently hypersexualise women, and that Cortana has become moreso over the series, which follows on from the fact that she is essentially the love interest of the Chief.

The main thing here, however, is that regardless of how I or anyone feels about these character designs or the thought behind them, the people making these games are perfectly fine to do it.

I won't be buying Metal Gear Solid anyway, as I think the games are garbage, but to each their own.

Anyway, point is dude was fine to express his opinion, albeit it was a little hypocritical. Kojima is fine to sex up his characters as well, and everyone can be as critical of everyone else as they want.

#178 Edited by EXTomar (4724 posts) -

I wonder what set Ellis off. I mean why complain about this and why now?

#179 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2561 posts) -

David Ellis should know better. I used to like that guy : /

#180 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@skytylz: It is only not the best community when they disagree with you huh? Again sexaulizing characters is not immature. Insulting and attack people however is. There is really no discussion here.

#181 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1851 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@milkman said:

#182 Posted by Digiwth (152 posts) -

i don't think you can dress like that in a desert and continue to stay alive

#183 Posted by Pr1mus (3905 posts) -

I don't get the complaints about Cortana.

The general design and what is the equivalent of clothing is very similar in every iteration. Her shapes and proportions look more natural now. So making her look more human is somehow making her more sexualized?

#184 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Hmmmm

The Halo defense force has arrived. Cortana looks no classier, at least Kojima's design isn't creepy 'look here's a fuckable computer' crap, also you are wrong about the AI thing.

and again, MGS is flamboyant, it is crude at times and tries to be sexy in others. MGS is not the series to point this shit out on, it is hyper stylised to the point of ridiculousness, and again, it had female characters like Meryl for christ's sake. I don't even like MGS anymore, this shit is just common sense.

All this sexism bullshit truly rips all the fun out of everything. Not every game is trying to be Downton Fucking Abbey.

edit: Is Edi's physical manifestation the elephant in the room here? Because that was pretty dumb, you know while we're here trying to claim things are sexist and detrimental to the females of the world - what this industry does best these days it seems.

#185 Edited by Daneian (1229 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@milkman said:

To everyone linked here, if you think this thread has lost its way, lets take this opportunity to steer it in another direction. What do you guys propose as a good middle ground?

Is it the content of the arguments you take issue with or is it the manner in which each side is presenting itself?

Should Kojima reign this sort of sexualization back, or should observers just look away? Is there middle ground here or can you only take one side or the other.

#186 Posted by Hailinel (24733 posts) -

@extomar said:

I wonder what set Ellis off. I mean why complain about this and why now?

Maybe he didn't like the way Kojima tweeted about the topic? All I really know is that Ellis is a hypocrite. Beyond that, this thread is a goddamn mess.

@digiwth said:

Probably not, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time a game character has been able to survive extreme elements despite inadequate clothing.

#187 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

So now Kojima is forcing this on people to make such chars huh? It gets better and better. Also Kojima again has one of the most interesting characters created in this whole industry. He does not do some 0815 bald space marine stuff but he has a lot of creativity in his characters.

Forced was too strong a word I bet for the reality of what happened. But he did encourage the direction. How the character would of turned out without that I have no idea.

#188 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@digiwth said:

Yeah lets put her in a parker in the desert after she escaped some torture. Or how about some Burka.

#189 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

@darji said:

@skytylz: It is only not the best community when they disagree with you huh? Again sexaulizing characters is not immature. Insulting and attack people however is. There is really no discussion here.

This post pretty much proves my point. I'm definitely not posting in here again, so feel free to make as many cheap shot posts as you want now and attack me however you feel you can.

#190 Posted by Hailinel (24733 posts) -

@daneian said:

@hailinel said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@milkman said:

To everyone linked here, if you think this thread has lost its way, lets take this opportunity to steer it in another direction. What do you guys propose as a good middle ground?

Is it the content of the arguments you take issue with or is it the manner in which each side is presenting itself?

Should Kojima reign this sort of sexualization back, or should observers just look away? Is there middle ground here or can you only take one side or the other.

Kojima is the head of the project and has the clout at Konami to do whatever he wants at this point. If he wants Quiet to be dressed in a way that would make for supposedly better merchandising opportunities, that's his call. I don't agree with the reasoning (and I don't know if his stated reasoning was in jest or not), but I'm not going to stand up and tell him, no, you cannot dictate how characters in a game that you have creative control over look. I don't necessarily have to like the design, but Metal Gear is his to do with as he likes.

#191 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@daneian said:

Should Kojima reign this sort of sexualization back

More than whether he should or not, I would like to know why. Why is sexualization or a relaxed attitude towards sex, clothing or promiscuity being portrayed as ethically corrupt, and if you believe that it is ethically corrupt, can you describe that position as anything other than anti-sex?

(The insane thing about me crusading for pro-sex culture is that I actually have a startlingly low libido or sexual appetite. Ask my girlfriend. Probably because I spend too much time arguing about ethics.)

edit: (Super double parentheticals; honestly the only thing I find sexually appealing about Quiet is that she's a girl carrying firearms. Which I suppose is my trip. I also thought Meryl looked awesome with her Randy Savage arms in MGS4.)

#192 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

Forced was too strong a word I bet for the reality of what happened. But he did encourage the direction. How the character would of turned out without that I have no idea.

Of course he does it is his universe his "baby". And again there is nothing wrong with it. People who work with Kojima know how he is and how he treats every character male or female the same. Also again this is not really an issue in Japan because everything there gets sexualized anyway, And there is nothing wrong with it.

#193 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2126 posts) -

@milkman said:

MIDDLE GROUND? THIS ISN'T SWITZERLAND PICK A SIDE

#194 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@milkman said:

MIDDLE GROUND THIS ISN'T SWITZERLAND PICK A SIDE

The middle ground would be not liking or liking it but not calling people out who like it. It is very easy. Do no like it do not buy it. MGS is not a new IP or has every changed in terms of sexualisation.

#195 Edited by Milkman (16782 posts) -

@daneian: I said some of this earlier in the thread but I think the design and Kojima's comments about why he now choosing to design the characters like this are pretty silly. But Metal Gear has always been silly, especially when it comes to sexuality (for both men and women). I'd like to see how it is presented within the game before passing full judgement. This design certainly seems a little more, let's say...blatant than past Metal Gears and it doesn't really surprise me at all it would rub some people the wrong way. Kojima doesn't seem like a guy who really cares about these criticisms. Hell, I'm not sure if he even knows they exist so I wouldn't expect them to change anytime soon. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer it if the characters were a little more...sensibly designed but I'm still pretty excited for MGS 5.

#196 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

Also again this is not really an issue in Japan because everything there gets sexualized anyway, And there is nothing wrong with it.

Japan is definitely a little more relaxed on sex (love hotels for one) but I think this comes from sexism being the in-thing for people to bring up in the industry, showing cleavage and sexualising some characters is apparently evil now and it of course it never happens in films or television...at least that's what you'd think judging by how some industry types get all in a hissy about it.

#197 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@sooty said:

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

@darji said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

Also again this is not really an issue in Japan because everything there gets sexualized anyway, And there is nothing wrong with it.

Japan is definitely a little more relaxed on sex(love hotels for one) but I think this comes from sexism being the in-thing for people to bring up in the industry, showing cleavage and sexualising some characters is apparently evil now and it of course it never happens in films or television...at least that's what you'd think judging by how some industry types get all in a hissy about it.

Yeah it is really bad right now. But I do not see any discussions about it for movies, books or even comics. Not one game can now come out which is not going to be judged how women are represented and I am really think of it because most of these claims are jsut stupid and ridiculous. We even had the argument that Lara's deaths in the new Tomb Raider game are sexualized and stimulating for men......

#199 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

It is kinda funny to think there was a time that EVA was the most eroticized character in the series and she wasn't that over the top. Well kinda, but nothing like the MGS IV bosses.

#200 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Linkara is not really someone who many people listen to. I like his videos but his few of feminism is rather bad in my opinion. I was more talking about insustry press like Kotaku for the games industry for example.

Also catwoman is normally very sexualized but also a very very strong woman. This comic makes her look very dumb and weak and tha its not because of her proportions. Quiet in MGSV even has very realistically proportions compared to catwoman in this comic.