Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

As far as core gameplay goes...

Leaving the rich multiplayer suite with countless playlists and gamemodes aside, as well as Firefight and co-op campaign and Forge mode... I feel like Bioshock 2's multiplayer modes are very comparable to Halo's offerings in terms of design and balancing and pacing. It's pretty much the same core gameplay. Most interestingly, I found Bioshock 2's multiplayer to be very active (PSN Europe) and here's why I believe its community is persisting - I found its core gameplay mechanics to be better done than Halo : Reach's. 

More interesting weapons and unlocks and art design. Cooler character customization. Especially the countless plasmid and tonic and weapon combinations really beat the shit out of the loadouts and armor abilities of Halo : Reach. It's so much fun to play around with the combinations and come up with some awesome playstyle.

How about you guys? Have you given Bioshock 2's multiplayer a shot? I am really surprised by how awesome it is. While it's a lot more limited in scope and diversity in comparison to Halo : Reach, it offers pretty much the same core gameplay, arguably better in many ways. Especially on PS3, which hasn't got a proper Halo of its own, you really should try it out.

I have vastly underrated Bioshock 2's multiplayer component. I'd never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I do. I bought Bioshock 2 recently, because it hit the bargain bin. In order to play the singleplayer campaign. After spending a great evening with its multiplayer, I gotta say, it's the multiplayer that's made my second stay in Rapture memorable. Great stuff! I kinda feel bad to drop it for Medal of Honor tomorrow already. Guess I'll have to make time for it again later on. It's worth it!
JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By JokerFrown

I do not enjoy Bioshock 2's MP.  It just feels...off... Halo Reach on the other hand is near flawless imo.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

Bioshock's MP is OK. I just prefer me some Halo Reach over that game any day. Everyone's taste is different.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Mystyr_E

I don't like Reach's MP, it's better structured than Bioshock 2's but Reach just got...kind of boring and it's just a month old. I hate the maps, quitter ban is stupid and after awhile it just gets irritating

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Kbm600

I don't honestly see how they're comparable at all. Totally different types of shooters, other than the fact they're both first-person.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Bioshock's mp was cool, but just didn't hold my interest very long.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Bioshock 2 definitely has more variety, but it also seems like the most unstable of the two. I thought it was pretty cool though. 

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By wrathofconn
@Mystyr_E
I don't like Reach's MP, it's better structured than Bioshock 2's but Reach just got...kind of boring and it's just a month old. I hate the maps, quitter ban is stupid and after awhile it just gets irritating
Maybe you shouldn't quit in the middle of games then?
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli
@Kbm600 said:

" I don't honestly see how they're comparable at all. Totally different types of shooters, other than the fact they're both first-person. "

High TTK (time to kill). Samey control scheme. Plasmids/Tonics kinda similar to armor abilities. Mostly same style of maps (mazes) and similar gamemodes. Halo offers more diversity outside of Slayer, Team-Slayer, Capture the XY and the other classics - but Halo at its core (outside of vehicle maps and modes and SWAT balancing) is pretty much about the same stuff as Bioshock 2's MP.

To me, both games feel very much the same. Core gameplay-wise. Style-wise - completely different of course.
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mystyr_E
@wrathofconn: 

I like how you automatically assume that it means I quit out of matches. I've had 2 connection drops, one power outage and a failed host migration and hey guess what, I'm temporarily banned. But hey, game knows best and calls me a big quitter and not a team player so just gotta ban me, right?
Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spikester

They both suck! Team Fortress 2 FTW!

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wrathofconn
@Mystyr_E: A situation like that is highly unlikely, and whether it's your spotty connection or intentionally quitting, you're still hanging your team out to dry in any team game mode, so the system is technically serving its purpose either way. And when you take that into account, 15 minutes is hardly a dealbreaker.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

I enjoyed both, but I don't understand how you can even try to compare the two...unless... 

OH WAIT, IS TODAY HALO REACH HATE DAY AND I DIDN'T GET TEH MEMOZ?! 

Seriously, though, both are good.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mystyr_E
@wrathofconn: So something that I've actually seen and experienced is "unlikely"? You're not one of those Bungie apologists where you won't admit they can mess up, are you?
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wrathofconn
@Mystyr_E: No, unless you think unlikely means impossible. It has nothing to do with whether you've seen and experienced it, the vast majority of players never will. So do you think they should make it easier for players to quit intentionally without penalty to alleviate a rare issue like you had? It's not worth that tradeoff. 

Before Reach, I hadn't played a Halo game since 2, so implying that I'm a Bungie fanboy just because I think you are overreacting to something is laughable.
Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spikester
@wrathofconn said:
" @Mystyr_E: No, unless you think unlikely means impossible. It has nothing to do with whether you've seen and experienced it, the vast majority of players never will. So do you think they should make it easier for players to quit intentionally without penalty to alleviate a rare issue like you had? It's not worth that tradeoff.  Before Reach, I hadn't played a Halo game since 2, so implying that I'm a Bungie fanboy just because I think you are overreacting to something is laughable. "
Don't disagree with Mystery_E, because he's a Demon Souls fan. Halo fans are not Demon Souls fans because they're not not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are not Halo fans, only casual gamers are. 
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Spikester said:

" @wrathofconn said:

" @Mystyr_E: No, unless you think unlikely means impossible. It has nothing to do with whether you've seen and experienced it, the vast majority of players never will. So do you think they should make it easier for players to quit intentionally without penalty to alleviate a rare issue like you had? It's not worth that tradeoff.  Before Reach, I hadn't played a Halo game since 2, so implying that I'm a Bungie fanboy just because I think you are overreacting to something is laughable. "
Don't disagree with Mystery_E, because he's a Demon Souls fan. Halo fans are not Demon Souls fans because they're not not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are not Halo fans, only casual gamers are.  "
What is your problem?  We know you don't like Reach.  To try to cast the people who are fans of Halo into a sub group to make your self feel better is offensive and wrong.   
Now the OP thinks Bioshock 2 is better than Reach in terms of multiplayer is an alright thing to say but you have something against Halo and CoD for some damn reason I can't figure out.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

Both pretty average IMHO

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spikester
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Spikester said:

" @wrathofconn said:

Don't disagree with Mystery_E, because he's a Demon Souls fan. Halo fans are not Demon Souls fans because they're not not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are not Halo fans, only casual gamers are.  "
What is your problem?  We know you don't like Reach.  To try to cast the people who are fans of Halo into a sub group to make your self feel better is offensive and wrong.   Now the OP thinks Bioshock 2 is better than Reach in terms of multiplayer is an alright thing to say but you have something against Halo and CoD for some damn reason I can't figure out. "
Because both games series are ruining the industry. Generic , run of the mill games are selling better than creative games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033. They dumb down the gaming industry and Holllywoodnizing it to appeal to the dumb mainstream audience. It's true, and hardcore gamers will agree with me because it's true. Smart Giantbomb.com users like RsistncE will agree with me.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By buzz_clik
@Spikester said:
" Because both games series are ruining the industry. Generic , run of the mill games are selling better than creative games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033. They dumb down the gaming industry and Holllywoodnizing it to appeal to the dumb mainstream audience. It's true, and hardcore gamers will agree with me because it's true. Smart Giantbomb.com users like RsistncE will agree with me. "
Dude, your Halo flame baiting is now a dull and annoying monotone.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Spikester: I don't like the games either.  But to get so annoyed by their very existence is childish.  You need to suck it up.  Because you don't like these games it doesn't mean they are bad or ruining the industry.  You have to accept that different people like different things.  
I swear you started the account to troll.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Synthballs
@Spikester said:
" They both suck! Team Fortress 2 FTW! "
I like you. You speak good truths.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Belonpopo

Bioshock 2 multiplayer.....

No Caption Provided
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By DrPockets000

It's no secret that I dislike Bioshock, but 2's multiplayer was, I though, quite good.  However, I still prefer Halo.  Bioshock 2's multiplayer frequently seemed to dissolve into "mash every button until the other guy dies" and the win usually went to the person who fired first.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spikester
@Synthballs said:
" @Spikester said:
I like you. You speak good truths. "
Finally, a person who replied to my post who isn't an idiot. 

Synthballs > SethPhotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Spikester said:
" @Synthballs said:
" @Spikester said:
I like you. You speak good truths. "
Finally, a person who replied to my post who isn't an idiot.  Synthballs > SethPhotopoulos "
sigh.