Halo Wars Impressions.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By gearhead

So, Halo Wars demo got released yesterday over Xbox Live, and well, it's a really big, "eh" for me.
I am not the biggest RTS fan, but do enjoy Relic's work like Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War, and maybe some Age of Empires,

No Caption Provided
but it just feels, really shallow. Maybe it's just because they are trying to 'dumb it down' for console players, who people think are stupid, but here's a little advice Ensemble and any other game developers. Halo has a huge following, bigger than maybe any other game, everyone knows it. But people who play Halo, 99% of them will not play this game because it is, well, and RTS. So if you are going to make an RTS game, try to at least make one that people who are a fan of the genre, will actually enjoy playing.

Am I being a little harsh, or what did you guys think of the demo?
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gearhead

So, Halo Wars demo got released yesterday over Xbox Live, and well, it's a really big, "eh" for me.
I am not the biggest RTS fan, but do enjoy Relic's work like Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War, and maybe some Age of Empires,

No Caption Provided
but it just feels, really shallow. Maybe it's just because they are trying to 'dumb it down' for console players, who people think are stupid, but here's a little advice Ensemble and any other game developers. Halo has a huge following, bigger than maybe any other game, everyone knows it. But people who play Halo, 99% of them will not play this game because it is, well, and RTS. So if you are going to make an RTS game, try to at least make one that people who are a fan of the genre, will actually enjoy playing.

Am I being a little harsh, or what did you guys think of the demo?
Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ashuku

Read muh blog

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TheHBK

I enjoyed it, especially being on the console.  Yeah, it doesn't have the depth of Age of Empires, but without a mouth, I am glad it didn't.  I am looking forward to this because of how great the action and time playing it on Heroic was.  My friend and I were playing, he wasn't enjoying it until he saw it wasn't gonna be so easy to finish.  He is still iffy about it, but I am sold, maybe not.  I wish it had random maps.  Also, what did you want out of a demo, to give you everything the game has?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pie

In my opinion its kinda like command and conquer the tiberium wars without the whole resource management

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By crunchUK

my interest is slowly rising over this game.. i am a halo fanboy apparently after all even though i dont go in much for RTS. mind you i'd sooner spend the cash on other things

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By DBoy

I don't care for Halo, so I don't really care for Halo Wars.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By time allen

I think you should tone down the amount of commas Dan. :P
And I'm on the same wavelength as DBoy here. The only Halo game I really enjoyed was the first one.
Besides, RTS for consoles is a dumb idea.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I don't think I'm going to do a blog anymore about it so I'll just write it here.

Overall it's pretty dang good. 
They seem to have struck a very nice balance.  Unlike many rtses, it's not a real time strategy resource manager and at the same time it's not a point and click game to activate battle.

They basically seem like they've balanced it to an extent where the game moves rather quickly.  It only takes a small amount of time before you can send units.  The strategy comes from the RPS method and what you build yes, but how you approach things make just as much as a difference two.  Each unit really feels like a character and they're just damn satisying to use.  By contrast, I find that most rtses have little instant satisfaction and are either about resource management or barely truly a rts (looking at you dawn of war 2)

It's actually suprisingly good.  The demo campaign levels are rather meh though.  But at the same time, I have to doubt that's how the actual game is set up though.
Skirmishes are the best part of the demo.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By vidiot

It felt like a big "meh" as well for me.

Coming out the same day that the Killzone 2 demo dropped (comparing hype, not actual game.) it seems this thing is going under everyone's radar. A bunch of quick promotional material, I had almost forgotten the game completely until I had read a few days back the demo was being released.
Gearhead
said:

Halo has a huge following, bigger than maybe any other game, everyone knows it. But people who play Halo, 99% of them will not play this game because it is, well, and RTS. So if you are going to make an RTS game, try to at least make one that people who are a fan of the genre, will actually enjoy playing.
Could not have said that better myself. Especially after playing the demo. A good majority of Halo players don't even touch the campaign so they are pretty much out of the picture. It sounds like Halo, and looks...kinda...like Halo, but the big risk is if hardcore twitch gamers will embrace an RTS because it has Halo on the box.

It defiantly does feel simplified to accommodate console play and incredibly faster too. (which I feel for a game like this is a good thing.) Time will tell if the fans bite.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maxszy

I haven't played too much of the demo, just the two tutorials and a little bit of a skirmish.

Overall though, for a console RTS it is pretty good. But that is the problem, in the end a Console RTS game is not going to be nearly comparable to a PC RTS game. Once you take that into account, you realize not that many people on consoles would really even want to play an RTS which means their interest and how good they think the game is, is much lower than for something on the PC.

What I am attempting to get at is that, for the time its feeling like the best console rts on the market, but there aren't many and none of them are amazing. They can't be, because of what an RTS is. There's not enough buttons on a controller to do it properly. So to make it work it needs to be "dumbed" down for the sake controls. (The thought that it is being dumbed down because console gamers are stupid is ludicrous. They just don't have the same interests.)

So my prediction is that it is going to do alright as a game. Though you'll probably see quite a few ending up in the used section of your Gamestop sooner rather than later. It will probably get a pretty avid, active following of a good number of pepole that will play it for awhile. Most though will probably pass over it after a short while.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

The demo is a BEAST (literally, it's 1.40 GB!).

It's been 3 hours and it's only at 54% completion. Is this normal, how long did it take for everyone else to dl?

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Xandurson

In my opinion Halo Wars is MUCH better than Halo 3 ever was. Halo 3 gets boring quickly...this may not. So far it looks like it won't.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Artie
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman

I DL'd it thinking it would be a quick go and a quick dismissal.   I like the Halo games and the whole mythos, so I thought I'd at least try the demo. What I found was a pretty fun game, and after several runs through the campaign levels and several skirmishes, I find it pretty addictive.  It controls super easy, and although I don't usually play RTS's, I'm sure it has been simplified too much for the hardcore pc player....but that's not who M$'s studios was aiming at.  They intend that all Halo fans can get into it.  It will cover events 20 years prior to the Halo event so the ground the story covers will be fresh.  And the cg cutscenes that do the story telling are simply gorgeous, and worth playing through the campaign for alone imo.  Day one purchase now for me...and kudos to M$ for putting out such a huge sample in their demo.  BTW, it's much more fun on the Heroic setting in either mode.  And I look forward to playing the legendary mode w/a friend online...woot!!!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Artie said:
"I thought the game was terrible."
wow, you didn't give it a chance at all.
that's pretty pathetic.  "rtses can't be done on a console" ...(i've played this for about 2 minutes)

yea, very smart there.  Very smart. 

It honestly seemed like a joke video.  No, I'm not talking about your rather... unique narration style, but you just were on it without giving it any chance.
that's honestly sad.

Even with Bomberman: Act Zero (i have it) I gave a chance where I played without thinking it sucked or was good.  I let it do the talking.  Granted, it said it sucked, but I still gave it a chance at success.
Halo Wars could have honestly have been the best game ever made, but you really wouldn't know, you just got rid of it.
---Let me guess, you also hate Halo 3 and think it's "overhyped and gets too much attention" but you admit its an okay game and you think Stalker, FarCry, and Call of Duty are the saving graces of gaming?  Yea, probably lol.
Just judging by your halo wars video and your "im starting a channel video", you hate what's "in" and you you think people who play more complex games are hardcore gamers. Yea...

-As for my impressions, the game feels streamlined from a pc rts, which is a good thing.  Units are satisfying, base building is simple and quick, and it's just funner than the average.  It doesn't seem incredibly deep or whatever, but it hits that mark of fun much better than other rtses.  It does feel rather weird at first though, but it soon feels very natural and extremely easy to do things.  Must be because I typically play rtses on the pc.