Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

So, I've been playing some Sega games. Yeah. My family never had any Sega consoles, we were an Atari and Nintendo household, so I only ever got to play Sega games when visiting friends. As such, I missed out on a lot of good Sega stuff. To remedy this, I'm going to play through the SEGA Genesis and Mega Drive Classics Collection, which is available on Steam.

I picked it up a while ago when they were offering all four packs that were out as one purchase. There are 46 games in total - so far I've played through and recorded about half of them - which will be featured in videos that go up daily.

Come along on this retro adventure with me!

1. Altered Beast | Comix Zone | Crack Down

2. ECCO The Dolphin | Gain Ground | Golden Axe

3. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi | Shinobi III | Sonic 3D Blast | Space Harrier 2

4. Vectorman | Alex Kidd | Bonanza Bros. | Columns | Mean Bean Machine | Ecco Jr. | Eternal Champions

5. Fatal Labyrinth | Galaxy Force II | Kid Chameleon

6. Ristar | Sonic Spinball | Super Thunder Blade | Alien Storm | Bio-Hazard Battle | Columns III | Decap Attack | Ecco: The Tides of Time

Part 7. ESWAT: City Under Siege | Flicky | Golden Axe II | Sonic The Hedgehog | Sword of Vermillion | Virtua Fighter 2

Part 8. Gunstar Heroes | Landstalker | Light Crusader | Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Part 9. Sonic 3 & Knuckles | Streets of Rage | Streets of Rage II | Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

The next video is the start of the 5th and final pack of the collection.

10. Beyond Oasis

Enjoy!

#1 Edited by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

So, I've been playing some Sega games. Yeah. My family never had any Sega consoles, we were an Atari and Nintendo household, so I only ever got to play Sega games when visiting friends. As such, I missed out on a lot of good Sega stuff. To remedy this, I'm going to play through the SEGA Genesis and Mega Drive Classics Collection, which is available on Steam.

I picked it up a while ago when they were offering all four packs that were out as one purchase. There are 46 games in total - so far I've played through and recorded about half of them - which will be featured in videos that go up daily.

Come along on this retro adventure with me!

1. Altered Beast | Comix Zone | Crack Down

2. ECCO The Dolphin | Gain Ground | Golden Axe

3. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi | Shinobi III | Sonic 3D Blast | Space Harrier 2

4. Vectorman | Alex Kidd | Bonanza Bros. | Columns | Mean Bean Machine | Ecco Jr. | Eternal Champions

6. Ristar | Sonic Spinball | Super Thunder Blade | Alien Storm | Bio-Hazard Battle | Columns III | Decap Attack | Ecco: The Tides of Time

Part 7. ESWAT: City Under Siege | Flicky | Golden Axe II | Sonic The Hedgehog | Sword of Vermillion | Virtua Fighter 2

Part 9. Sonic 3 & Knuckles | Streets of Rage | Streets of Rage II | Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

10. Beyond Oasis

Enjoy!

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hamst3r said:

1. Altered Beat

Is this like a beatboxing version of Altered Beast? How much money would I have to pay for that to happen?

I'd also watch one of the videos, but I have yet to play Crack Down or Gain Ground.

#3 Posted by Wampa1 (725 posts) -

@Hamst3r: Oh man, Altered Beast is all but impossible to play through without dying dozens of times. At least for me, hope you enjoy the SEGA classics. Growing up I was in the opposite situation. Finally starting to dig into the SNES library!

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

Altered Beat is a good title for a DJ Hero sequel.

#5 Posted by onimonkii (2452 posts) -

I grew up on Genesis and Sega Channel, going back now though, either none of them hold up or there are not very many good games on the Genesis.

A sad realization.

#6 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

WISE FROM YOU GWABEwubwubwubwubwubwuwbwubwuwbwubwuwbbbb

#7 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hamst3r said:

1. Altered Beat

Is this like a beatboxing version of Altered Beast? How much money would I have to pay for that to happen?

Something like this? :P

Altered Beat

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hamst3r said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hamst3r said:

1. Altered Beat

Something like this? :P

Altered Beat

I was expecting a lot more techno and bass. But not dubstep. SCREW DUBSTEP.

#9 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

Golden Axe is still awesome, need to play it again soon.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9427 posts) -

@Hamst3r: ooo Can't wait until you get to the Shining Force series! I like their port of SFII in the collection.

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

For some bizzare reason, Flicky is my most played game in that collection. There is something about the uniquely simple but challenging gameplay of that game.

#13 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

@PollySMPS: Really? :O

Someone else posted a similar comment on the first video on this series - but a quick search brings up all kinds of SEGA and Shining Force videos that have been up for years. 5 years in some cases. So, seems really odd that some videos would get pulled but not those, which are the first results.

#14 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Hamst3r: It's true. 
Bigger Youtubers (Like Totalbiscuit who has The Game Station behind him) got one of his accounts flagged because of his Shining Force Let's Play videos.  
So suddenly he couldn't do a bunch of stuff with his account because one guy at SEGA probably decided that having a stick up his ass would be a good idea. 
#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: @PollySMPS: Well that's some crazy bullshit. I've been reading about it on the Shining Force Central forums.

The takedowns seem to be official and coincide with the announcement of a new Shining Force game. You know, the ol' piss off your biggest fans and then ask them to buy your new game tactic. :P

I guess I'll be skipping the two Shining Force games.

#17 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

#18 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

Okay, the Ecco Dolphin Jr. song was hilarious. Good stuff.

#19 Posted by GunstarRed (5402 posts) -

Brilliant. The second video just confirmed my hatred of Ecco.

#20 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

Woo! Thanks. :3

Now, more videos:

#21 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

#22 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

, you don't like at all like I imagined you would. For some reason, I imagined you as a being a big ol' fat guy. It must be the user name or something. Also, those videos have really nice production values. Good job. Also also: That Comix Zone music...

#23 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@Hamst3r: Ham, you sound like Anthony Birch.

#24 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

It seems I set this video to publish at the wrong time, so it's already up. So...here you go:

@Jrinswand said:

, you don't like at all like I imagined you would. For some reason, I imagined you as a being a big ol' fat guy. It must be the user name or something. Also, those videos have really nice production values. Good job. Also also: That Comix Zone music...

Thanks! :D

@Mesoian said:

@Hamst3r: Ham, you sound like Anthony Birch.

That's a first. Normally it's Jack Black or Nicolas Cage. :P

#25 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

Pack 5, starting off with...

10. Beyond Oasis