Happy First Birthday Giant Bomb

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Today is a rather special day for mein the history of video game journalism and I thought it was only fitting that I took time out of my "busy" schedule to show my appreciation for my favourite video game website. I still remember the depressing, rainy Friday on which I returned home from college ready to be met by the warm embrace of the internet, only to find that comment sections and forum boards all over Gamespot were exploding with a pandemonium of comments about thedismissal of Jeff Gerstmann from the site. This was neither the first nor the last departure of a great Gamespot editor from the site but Jeff was then and probably still is now my favourite video game journalist and at the time it was certainly grim news.

I was excited when I heard the news that Gerstmann had set up a small blog on the internet and was back with a means to communicatewith the public again, but it still wasn't the same. When news rolled in of Giant Bomb, who they were, what they wanted to doand their big launch I was very expectant and I was one of the many who signed up on launch day, July 21st 2008. Since then I've had an awesome time reading the articles, watching the videos and hanging out on the forums of Giant Bomb. Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are all excellent journalists and work together brilliantly as a team, creating such madness as the Giant Bombcast, the Endurance Run and TANG, all of which have been a realpleasure to follow. Giant Bomb works because it is run by people whose experience has taught them how a video gameswebsite should be built andit has allowed them to buildthe kind of website they'd want to useand although I wouldn't have said it at one time, I'm glad Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny left Gamespot because it allowed them to create something amazing.

Happy birthday Giant Bomb!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Today is a rather special day for mein the history of video game journalism and I thought it was only fitting that I took time out of my "busy" schedule to show my appreciation for my favourite video game website. I still remember the depressing, rainy Friday on which I returned home from college ready to be met by the warm embrace of the internet, only to find that comment sections and forum boards all over Gamespot were exploding with a pandemonium of comments about thedismissal of Jeff Gerstmann from the site. This was neither the first nor the last departure of a great Gamespot editor from the site but Jeff was then and probably still is now my favourite video game journalist and at the time it was certainly grim news.

I was excited when I heard the news that Gerstmann had set up a small blog on the internet and was back with a means to communicatewith the public again, but it still wasn't the same. When news rolled in of Giant Bomb, who they were, what they wanted to doand their big launch I was very expectant and I was one of the many who signed up on launch day, July 21st 2008. Since then I've had an awesome time reading the articles, watching the videos and hanging out on the forums of Giant Bomb. Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are all excellent journalists and work together brilliantly as a team, creating such madness as the Giant Bombcast, the Endurance Run and TANG, all of which have been a realpleasure to follow. Giant Bomb works because it is run by people whose experience has taught them how a video gameswebsite should be built andit has allowed them to buildthe kind of website they'd want to useand although I wouldn't have said it at one time, I'm glad Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny left Gamespot because it allowed them to create something amazing.

Happy birthday Giant Bomb!