#1 Posted by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

It took a while (though there always was support from Vinny and others) but I'm glad these games finally get the appreciation they deserve. Even Jeff seems to respect them more.

This will make for a great Dark Souls 2 release on Giant Bomb and I expect that one to be better than the one when Dark Souls came out.

#2 Posted by crithon (3458 posts) -

I think a lot of it has to do lets players, youtube and twitch, just showing it even as a goof. Like Jeff Green inspired me to play it.

#3 Posted by MormonWarrior (2671 posts) -

Word?

#4 Posted by ConfusedOwl (972 posts) -

Yeah definitely. Vinny was the one that inspired me to go back and finally finish off my play-through of Dark Souls after thinking I would never be able to beat it because of its difficulty. I also got and beat Demon's Souls in anticipation for Breaking Brad. Without this site I probably never would have gotten back into those games and I'm really glad I did because I've been thinking about Dark Souls ll everyday now. Super excited.

#5 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6173 posts) -

Well I was about to say something dismissive but the first few posts in this thread are actually kind of neat. I don't really like the Dark Souls community but the more people buy it the more likely it is that other companies try to copy the Souls games, which can only be a good thing.

#6 Posted by Dixavd (1381 posts) -

Praise the Sun

#7 Edited by bybeach (5009 posts) -

I get a kick out of Jeff's attitude. And for the longest time I was personally irritated by the constant Souls threads...like this one. With always a lot of posters. But I played Dark Souls and while it is an event still short of the second coming of Baal, I liked the game. It's not that hard, and lets you complete it by sheer over-leveling(me) if you cannot put together a more imaginative build. My dainty female Far East Traveller had the strength and dexterity(yes they did combine!) of Conan the Schwarzenegger by the final boss.

it's a great game, and very pretty, almost eerie in parts with it's dark fantasy. With even implied intrigue behind it. Looking forward to DS 2 now instead of hating the avalanche of threads.

#8 Edited by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

It got me to dust off my copy of Dark Souls, which I never got past the moth boss guy in (I know, I'm terrible).

#9 Edited by Melvargh (517 posts) -

I played Demon's Souls back on release for about 15 hours, and never really made it past the Tower Knight on two different playthroughs. I just didn't get it.

Fast forward, Vinny plays Dark Souls and I thought it was so exciting watching him play through the Tomb of the Giants. I was like "Ok, I need to play this". I get it, and play for 70 hours. Unbelievable, I fell in love with it. Decided to go back to Demon's Souls, and I loved that too; a lot shorter, I finished at 18 hours, but it was great. I immediately went back in to Dark Souls and played a no-shield 2H run, and loved that! And then I went back to Demon's Souls again! I'm addicted! The Souls games are so good, and I'm so happy Vinny pushed for it to be on the site, because I don't know if I would have tried again.

Thanks Vinny! And thanks Giant Bomb for pushing the games so hard!

BRING ON DARK SOULS 2

#10 Posted by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

@ezakael said:

Yeah definitely. Vinny was the one that inspired me to go back and finally finish off my play-through of Dark Souls after thinking I would never be able to beat it because of its difficulty. I also got and beat Demon's Souls in anticipation for Breaking Brad. Without this site I probably never would have gotten back into those games and I'm really glad I did because I've been thinking about Dark Souls ll everyday now. Super excited.

Great, so am I!

#11 Posted by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

I remember Demons Souls just coming out of nowhere and EDGE giving it a 10, basically saying it was one of the greatest games of the generation, if not ever. Yet still nobody seemed to take much notice.

I myself faulted so far into Demons Souls, though I completely recognised the praise certain outlets such as EDGE were giving the game.

Fast forward a couple of years and Dark Souls is released. It took awhile, but the game has legs like few others, and I think its finally starting the click with people and seeing the regognition and respect From deserve.

#12 Posted by s10129107 (1213 posts) -

Woulda been game of the year if they played it when it came out.

#13 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5417 posts) -

Doubt it. Maybe top ten though.

#14 Posted by sub_o (913 posts) -

Bring it on the next Soul game !

#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

It's been so long that I've forgotten what my expectations were going into Demon's Souls, but I'm glad that a series that forwent a lot of the modern trends of quick time events and dialogue wheels, that focused purely on immediate gameplay and exploration, like it was some kind of old NES game or something, could get as popular as the Souls games have become.

I've seen a lot of excitement for Dark Souls 2 around, and I'm really curious how well it will do with the momentum that it has behind it. If its success could inspire others to ape its style then all the better, I love this sort of game.

#16 Posted by TehPickle (549 posts) -

At the end of this year, I hope for, nay, demand a full apology for it's snubbing in the GOTY awards, and a special award made for it, while Jeff sulks in a corner.

#17 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6173 posts) -

@shagge: How does one get past an optional boss?

#18 Posted by Flappy (2360 posts) -

If it distracts people from the P5 hype, I'm totally okay with this.

#19 Edited by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

He's optional? ... Fuck me. Fuck me sideways with a Scraping Spear. Goddammit. Hahaha.

Of course, that boss isn't even hard from what I understand. I just went at it the wrong way, and ever Brad-like, refused to adapt my flawed strategy. The last time I played the game (not counting my current revisit, which just started. I'm facerolling through Undead Burg currently) I didn't quite know what the deal was with Dark Souls, whereas now I "get" it.

#20 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6173 posts) -

@shagge: Butterfly is, if fought early enough in the game, maybe the 3rd or 4th hardest boss outside of the DLC. It's trivial later on of course but there's no shame in being blocked by it. Also, great music.

#21 Edited by Melvargh (517 posts) -

@shagge: Butterfly is, if fought early enough in the game, maybe the 3rd or 4th hardest boss outside of the DLC. It's trivial later on of course but there's no shame in being blocked by it. Also, great music.

I love that tune. I don't remember when I fought it the second time, but I remember it being all about dodging. If you can dodge, you can beat it at any level. Unless I'm missing something.

#22 Edited by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

I can categorically say that if it wasn't for Youtubers like EpicNameBro and Vageta311, I would never have picked it back up. When I did, it took some time, but I came round to how great it was. I had seen the reviews and stuff, but I thought it was just a game I wasn't going to like, (like other actions games like DmC, Bayonetta, etc).

#23 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6173 posts) -

@melvargh: Yep and plenty of other bosses don't force you to dodge at all.

#24 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

Oh? Man, I must have been Dark Trolled. Good to know, though, cheers. I figured with it being so close to the Capra Demon and the tree dudes being relative pushovers that I was meant to take that route next.

#25 Edited by Turambar (6898 posts) -

@shagge said:

@fredchuckdave said:

He's optional? ... Fuck me. Fuck me sideways with a Scraping Spear. Goddammit. Hahaha.

Of course, that boss isn't even hard from what I understand. I just went at it the wrong way, and ever Brad-like, refused to adapt my flawed strategy. The last time I played the game (not counting my current revisit, which just started. I'm facerolling through Undead Burg currently) I didn't quite know what the deal was with Dark Souls, whereas now I "get" it.

The boss is not optional if a player approaches the game in the traditional path of going down into the depths. It grants you access to the key needed to get into Lower Undeadburg. There is an NPC summon that makes the fight incredibly trivial. Having a shield with decent Mag Block % also makes the fight a lot more manageable, regardless of how adept you are at dodging.

#26 Posted by Gruff182 (877 posts) -

Yeah give it a year and they'l discover they love the DayZ mod.

#27 Edited by UitDeToekomst (750 posts) -

Regardless of the amount of attention they receive, i have zero interest in playing Dark Souls, Demons Souls or Dark Souls II (assuming it is not a great departure from the prior two games). I must admit, however, that I do kind of like watching other people play them (and by "other people" I specifically mean Vinny, Jeff Green and to a lesser extent Brad), so i suppose I lean toward the side of the argument in favor of more attention. I can tell from watching others play these games that they would frustrate the hell out of me.

#28 Posted by HatKing (6129 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

Doubt it. Maybe top ten though.

Yeah, maybe. Vinny, the person who appreciates the series the most even said it's just a good game. It's the community who blows the series into what it's become.

I lean a little closer to Vinny's perspective than the community on this one. The games are really neat, do some stuff fantastically, and are based on some really great ideas. The execution isn't always on point, and there is some stuff in those games that just seems needlessly frustrating (lizards). But I get the impression that with a larger following the issues are being mostly addressed in Dark Souls 2. I'm really looking forward to that one. I hope it doesn't let me down.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the attention this series is getting (on Giant Bomb). On one hand, the attention did reignite my interest in the series. On the other, I can't help but feel this website has sort of become more than a little heavy with Souls content over the past couple months. I mean, there are a ton of other games of just as high of quality (or better, believe it or not) that do not get any coverage. It just feels kind of weird. Not that I don't find Giant Bomb's content really entertaining.

#29 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I bought a PS3 after I saw the Demon's Souls quick look.

It's great to see people enjoying these games. They're system-sellers for me. I'll buy whatever system has the best version.

#30 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

@shagge said:

It got me to dust off my copy of Dark Souls, which I never got past the moth boss guy in (I know, I'm terrible).

In that dark green forest? Moonlight Moth or whatever?

Spam firebombs!

#31 Posted by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

@sub_o:

@sub_o said:

Bring it on the next Soul game !

hmmmm.....

#32 Posted by Belegorm (680 posts) -

@hatking:

Still, it really IS major that all of the recent focus on the Souls games has gotten people to start playing them. I stopped playing the game right after getting the lordvessel (this was shortly after release), then left off playing for years until I started playing Patrick's stream (then figured I should beat the game before I finished the stream archives).

#33 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6012 posts) -

I think it's wonderful as well.

#34 Edited by Zlimness (577 posts) -

Yeah, the Souls-series was a bit too weird for it's time and the grimy aesthetics didn't help either. I'm not surprised a lot of people didn't play Demon's Souls. But with the recent trend of unforgiving games with vague mechanics gaining popularity, the Souls-series seem a lot more approachable today. People take the time to either research or just enjoy the experience of discovering something new every time they play the game.

#35 Edited by HatKing (6129 posts) -

@belegorm said:

@hatking:

Still, it really IS major that all of the recent focus on the Souls games has gotten people to start playing them. I stopped playing the game right after getting the lordvessel (this was shortly after release), then left off playing for years until I started playing Patrick's stream (then figured I should beat the game before I finished the stream archives).

I guess. And I'm not really complaining because I do enjoy the content, and I do think it is genuinely an important game. Though I'm not sure how much of that is the self fulfilling prophecy of all these streams (steaming because it's important or important because of the streams?). Still, it is nice that people like me who are happy with the little amount of time they spent with the game to be sufficient, and being able to follow streams to see the rest. I can honestly say without the coverage I probably wouldn't be excited for Dark Souls 2 in the least.

I'll be happy as long as the staff continues covering other niche products (the Spelunky stuff is great!) with such conviction, after this Souls fever passes.

#36 Edited by Cactusapple (77 posts) -

In the future, historians will label all games of yore into two categories. Those that came before Dark Souls, and those that came after.

#37 Posted by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

In the future, historians will label all games of yore into two categories. Those that came before Dark Souls, and those that came after.

Very true!