Hardest game/difficulty in a game you've ever beaten?

• 61 results
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Games are hard. Especially S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Clear Sky on Master difficulty, which I'm going to play to begin my 2 month "no pain, no gain" gaming until the holidays.  
Any brutally hard games you've finished on the hardest difficulty? 
Did you do it for the challenge, or do you just like inflicting pain on yourself?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Bangai-O Spirits.

Although honestly it's not too hard. It just starts off that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the most recent was I finished Call of Duty 2 on the highest difficulty a few years back. I don't know why I was doing it then, I still don't know why I did it.  

Fuck AI grenade spam and infinitely respawning enemies.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Agent47

I never beaten any of my Castlevania games so I can't say much.Lately I am trying Halo:Reach on Legendary, and holy hell.One of the hardiest FPS's I have played.The A.I. is ruthless and the "enemy scaling".I don't think I will beat this one neither.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Agent47:
......HITMANAGENT? 

Is it noticably harder than halo 3 legendary?

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HayFourZee

gears 2 on insane

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Mystyr_E

Call of Duty 4
Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2
Halo Reach
Gears 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
F.E.A.R. 2
Resident Evil 5

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

This thread made me realize how few times I've played through games on hardest difficulty... I usually play on normal not to wreck the experience with getting frustrated and then I kinda just forget about hard.  

My most fresh memory is definately Halo 3 on Legendary. Even though it was a blast talking smack with my friends while playing etc. when we got to the level Cortana I was seriously doubting my skills and 4 hours later still on the same map I was considering playing Dora the explorer instead. That map is mad horrible yo.  

Gears of War 1 was also pretty intense. I remember killing RAAM at the same time as he killed us after an hour of wiping or so. He was falling to the floor as the movement was slowing down and the screen turned red. I didn't even think that was possible. 

I've also beaten Splinter Cell Conviction on "Realistic" but it isn't really hard... There were maybe 4 scenes where I got the "WTF? This can't be done" feeling I usually get from hard games. Fucking hate the Iraq(?) level. 

Anyway, I need to finish something on hard... Anyone got any recommendations?

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuCTR

Demons Soul... no just kidding that games not hard.

I would probably say Devil Survivor, Naoya first play through.

Oncomouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oncomouse

I normally play games on easy, sometimes on normal. I totally get how people could enjoy the skill/challenge of beating a game. But I really dig games for the immersion and interactive narratives I can't find in any other medium. Brutally hard hard games just get in the way for me. Some people skip cut scenes; some play on easy. It all depends on what you want from your game.

NeoUltima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By NeoUltima

I beat MGS4 on big boss extreme in under 4 hours. I know I have bigger accomplishments than that but I have bad memory.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Mystyr_E:
COD4? 
MW2?
BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BionicMonster

Whats with all these modern games? You guys are pussies.
The Lion King for SNES was a motherfucker (some of you know what I'm talkin about.)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@Haru48:
You're a better man than I.  When I realized how screwed I was in the Boss Rush, I started over to get the Yuzu ending first.

I hardly ever like games enough to play through them at higher difficulty levels.  I made an exception for Bayonetta, and clearing Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode as Jeanne was amazing.  If the game wasn't so liberal with checkpoints, and if I'd been trying for anything higher than Bronze trophies, I never would have made it through.
ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryno9881

Demon's Souls 
Platinum Arkham Asylum (don't know the general opinion on how hard it is to get all the achievements/trophies) 
Uncharted 2

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Call of Duty 4 was definitely the most agonizing hardest-difficulty run I've ever done in my life with video games. Call of Duty 2 had trouble spots, but there's one portion of Modern Warfare that nigh-impossible on Veteran. Just shitty AI and arbitrary checkpointing and infinite respawns atop a level predicated on a time limit. Perhaps some of the worst design I've ever seen in a video game, in terms of difficulty balance. 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehexeditor

Soloed hell mode  in Diablo 2. No fancy gear, no cheating.
CoD4/MW2 veteran mode... I had more fun than frustration actually.
That's about it :|

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuCTR
@thehexeditor said:
" Soloed hell mode  in Diablo 2. No fancy gear, no cheating. CoD4/MW2 veteran mode... I had more fun than frustration actually. That's about it :| "
/thread
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
@BionicMonster said:
" Whats with all these modern games? You guys are pussies. The Lion King for SNES was a motherfucker (some of you know what I'm talkin about.) "
Damn straight 
smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By smcn

I guess Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. My ME run was at level 60 with infinite Immunity/Marksman so it was a trivial process, but I did play through ME2 Insanity from both level 1 (Vanguard) and level 30 (Infiltrator).  I plan to start ME3 at Insanity from the get-go. Should be easy if the systems don't change too much.

My first time through Uncharted 2 was on Hard, I would have finished Crushing but my save corrupted halfway through so I just gave it away. I fucking hate unlockable difficulty levels.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz

Now that I've got its patterns and such pretty well memorised its not that hard, but my first (inordinately large number here) or so attempts at beating Battle Toads were pretty intense. Then again, I also played that game when I was pretty damn young.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By benjaebe

Fucking Ghosts and Goblins. At a certain point it wasn't even fun anymore, and by the time I beat it I hated myself.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions
@BionicMonster said:
" Whats with all these modern games? You guys are pussies. The Lion King for SNES was a motherfucker (some of you know what I'm talkin about.) "
Hellz yeah. Still don't know how to kill those first things when you become a grown lion. Not that I've tried recently...
Halz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Halz

Demon's Souls is hard the first playthrough but really not all that.  

Fuck you, Maneater.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Call Of Duty 4 on Veteran. or better yet High Mile Club mission. 
Gears Of War on Hard. By My Self.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thehexeditor
@ZombieHunter said:

" @BionicMonster said:

Damn straight  "
Demon's Souls walks up to you, knocks you over the head with a mace, bends you over a table, and (BLEEP BLEEEEEP BLEEP BLIPPITY BLIPPPPPP BLEEEP)
@Stealthmaster86: I shat bricks when I finished MHC on Veteran.
@benjaebe: Fucking ghosts and goblins, NOW this thread is over.
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IBurningStar

A lot of the games I have seen listed so far aren't what I think of when talking about games that are fuck off super hard.  If I had to list what were the hardest games for me, then it would look something like this.

Forbidden Siren - Its a game for crazy people and if anyone ever says they beat that game without a guide then they are a goddamn liar. A lot of the difficulty comes from how abstract and incomprehensible the thing is at times, but it is also nonstop tension and terror, which is fucking awesome.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - No explanation needed.
Resident Evil 4 - Professional mode doesn't fuck around. 
Super Ghouls and Ghost - Again, no explanation needed.
Final Fantasy Tactics - When I think back on beating this game I can only remember two things about it. 1. It had a great story. 2. Many, many soul crushing defeats that robbed me of hours of my life.

Other games that I got close to beating but just couldn't do are Ninja Gaiden on NES, Doom 2 Nightmare mode, and Aladdin on Sega Genesis. Oh, and BionicMonster is totally right, The Lion King for SNES was an evil motherfucker of a game. I never got past the third level.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By smcn
@IBurningStar said:
"A lot of the games I have seen listed so far aren't what I think of when talking about games that are fuck off super hard."
Well, the subject of the thread is the hardest difficulty one has beaten. I think many people (including myself) give up on "fuck off super hard" games because such games are generally antithetical to fun.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jkz
Also,  

@IBurningStar
said:
"Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - No explanation needed.  
 Super Ghouls and Ghost - Again"
This and this.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cnlmullen

I've beaten a lot of games in my day, but I can't think of any that were super hard. Maybe Jak 2?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By csl316

I thought Comix Zone on the genesis was pretty damn tough.  I remember renting it quite a bit,

And the Devil May Cry games on Dante Must Die, always a pleasure.  Heaven and Hell difficulty was cool, too (you die in one hit, the enemies are on hard difficulty)

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SonicFire

Uncharted 2 was probably the nastiest (on Crushing). Modern Warfare 1 wasn't as bad, but still not fun. I am contemplating finishing Starcraft 2 on brutal...
m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By m2thek
@cnlmullen said:
"I've beaten a lot of games in my day, but I can't think of any that were super hard. Maybe Jak 2? "

Jak 2 only because of the "destroy 40 KG robots" on Hero Mode. The rest was easy. 

I'm quite proud of beating the first two God of Wars on the hardest difficulties.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By tourgen

surviving 1mil in geometry wars was kinda tough but very enjoyable.  ME and ME2 were pretty easy on insanity but both were a lot of fun.  actually Mass Effect was real easy once i had my sniper rifles setup.  Dead Space was easy and just tedious.  did it with just the plasma gun for a little fun.

back in the day Shadow of the Beast and Blood Money were pretty tough.  I didn't finish either.  Rushin Attack was tough on the NES.  felt pretty good finishing that one.

my issue is that it's hard to find a game that's both difficult and fun to play at the same time.  there just aren't many.

take splosion man for instance.  hard mode on that would be pretty difficult, but not in a good way.  collision detection and framerate are way too glitchy to support a no-checkpoint playthrough with single-shot kills.  It's not a case of the game being hard, just poorly designed and executed.  hard mode boils down to fighting against poor coding.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Phr4nk0

Lost Planet on hardest would be the one that I'm most proud of. Each level on the hardest difficulty took about a solid day of beating my head against a wall to get through. That plus getting all the target markers while your T-Eng is constantly draining is the worst.
Mysterion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mysterion

I once won a domination victory on diety in civilization 4 which i was insanely proud of at the time.
George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By George_Hukas
@Phr4nk0 said:
" Lost Planet on hardest would be the one that I'm most proud of. Each level on the hardest difficulty took about a solid day of beating my head against a wall to get through. That plus getting all the target markers while your T-Eng is constantly draining is the worst. "
That achievement is the hardest thing I've even done.. That Mission 4 boss still haunts me
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GoofyGoober

F.E.A.R on Extreme. I loved that game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#39  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to difficulty. The hardest thing I can think of is Resident Evil 4 on Professional, and even then, it's not that hard.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BionicMonster
@thehexeditor said:
" @ZombieHunter said:

" @BionicMonster said:

Damn straight  "
Demon's Souls walks up to you, knocks you over the head with a mace, bends you over a table, and (BLEEP BLEEEEEP BLEEP BLIPPITY BLIPPPPPP BLEEEP) 

heard its not that hard if you don't treat it like a Hack'N'Slash
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The Super Star Wars games. Those games are a bitch. 

sorachev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sorachev

Half-Life 2 on the hardest setting.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thehexeditor
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" The Super Star Wars games. Those games are a bitch.  "
Okay. NOW this thread is over.
HOly SHIT these games were FUCKING hard
puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By puercoperro335
@No0b0rAmA said:
"

@Agent47:
......HITMANAGENT? 

Is it noticably harder than halo 3 legendary?

"
It's very much noticeable how much harder this game is. Elites take enormous luck and skill to defeat. Grunts become pitching machines tossing plasma grenades. Skirmishers are quicker to flank you and hit you from behind. Hunters will shoot more often, and can take a beating. Brutes will punch you to the other side of reach. Vehicles offer no protection to you, and when used by the covenant they will shoot and hit you from across the map. Focus rifle Jackals will make you dash for cover next to a Concussion rifle equipped Elite. Jackals with shields, jesus christ they might as well be hunters, pray that you can find some grenades when you see them.
I hope I didn't discourage you from trying, but I must also mention that the AI has "Bottomless Clip" enabled, White Elites will regenerate their shields fully in the time it takes to reload your DMR, and all Covenant have some sort of aimbot enabled. 
Also, last but no least: Halo checkpoints, 'nuff said.

I bid you good luck if you decide to undergo this challenge. (It's actually not that hard once you know the layout of every level, you can practically run away from any engagement unless it is required, and also keep an eye out on invisibility and Drop Shield AA's, the former will speed up missions and the latter will save your life, and precious med packs.)
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eric_buck

Killzone 2 on legendary almost killed me.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By wealllikepie

generally vvvvvv wasnt that hard, but this part was a true motherfucker
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtiY5D6HCs
looking forward to super meat boy, and also i beat stuff like mw1 and mw2 on legendary, and i know ill get some flaming for this, but i beat dog days on the hardest difficulty as well, which was a bitch considering how bad that game is at letting you know how badly injured you are

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By xMP44x

I couldn't say the hardest gaming experience I've had on the highest difficulty, because I never took an interest in playing games on their hardest difficulties until I got my Xbox 360. Beforehand there was no real motivation. I suppose the hardest that I can think of has been Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Of course, if I go through Call of Duty: Classic on Veteran, that would likely be harder. I need Call of Duty 2.... one of my friends has it, and never plays it. Plus, I was getting through Veteran difficulty at a decent enough pace.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LiquidPrince

I beat these games on the hardest difficulties:

God of War 3
Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2
Batman Arkham Asylum 
Devil May Cry 4

Probably more then that, but those are the ones I remember. I also am in the middle of my Mass Effect 2 insanity run.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Shadow

Too much stuff to name, honestly.  I always try to go for the hard mode achievements in everything I play.  I think Lost Planet was the one I just couldn't stand (constantly decreasing health is a shitty way to structure a game and I got fed up with it about 5 levels in).  Just look at my achievements if you're interested.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lawrens

I don't even play that many games on hardest mode, in fact I don't even play games on hard until this generation, since they've gimped so many games' difficulty, so that's easy for me to list:

God Hand on hard
Uncharted 1/2 on crushing.
Bayonetta on non stop climax.
Persona 4 on expert
DMC4 on DMD

The hardest game was god hand, but it was really fun, and I usually hate hard games, that says a lot about it.