Hardware Sales - Why do people still buy the PS2?

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

Okay, so I was reading my usual; Engadget, Hackaday, Joystiq, and stumbled upon these numbers from Joystiq. 

-DS: 1.7M1.2M (+262%)
-Wii: 1.26M753K (+149%)
-360: 820K570K (+228%)
-PS3: 710K389K (+121%)
-PSP: 294K119K (+76%)
-PS2: 203K85K (72%)  

Hardware sales. 
Notice at the bottom of the list lies the [long forgotten] ps2. I know that people can now officialy buy the PS2 in mexico (I think it's mexico) but why so many, 203K many....? 
It's still selling like hotcakes even though its old technology. : / 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Might have something to do with it having the best selection of kickass games that are not playable on other systems.  

And what's this bullshit with "long forgotten" that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on these forums. 
And we have some weird threads on here. :P

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Just for the sake of playing countless classics, also maybe for people who started their gamage with the ps3/360 and then decided to work backwards =P I did that with my ps1 then moving to the sega megadrive.
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By face15

I think the PS2 has a pretty good appeal to casual gamers. It's continuing success comes from the same market that the Wii has had such great success with.  
Look at games like SingStar, Buzz, Eyetoy and Guitar Hero and the incredibly low price tag and you can see what would attract young kids and teens,  or parents buying for young kids and teens.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Cerza
@ZeForgotten said:
" Might have something to do with it having the best selection of kickass games that are not playable on other systems.   And what's this bullshit with "long forgotten" that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on these forums. And we have some weird threads on here. :P "
This!
essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By essaregee

That's why I added the long orgotten in square brackets. Sure there are good - really good - games on the PS2, but in one month, 200K of PS2s - that's a bit overkill, almost 1/4 of the total PS3 sales.  

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By skavanker
@Abyssfull: The numbers are way to high to justify that hardcore gamers buy it to play their backlog.
RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By RiddleBrother
@essaregee said:
 I know that people can now officialy buy the PS2 in mexico (I think it's mexico) 
That's Brazil you're thinking of. 
Majinken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Majinken

Hell, I might end up getting a new one soon if Sony doesn't find a way to reincorporate backwards compatibility. If the PSP Go's approach to UMDs is any indication, I might be S.O.L. on that.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By essaregee
@RiddleBrother: Thanks!

@Majinken: Yes, that's what some people think. But that's so many, 200 000 people buying ps2 consoles.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

Well, at its price point it actually makes sense. If the PS2 were selling at $200-$300 still THEN it wouldn't make any sense. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Cerza said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Might have something to do with it having the best selection of kickass games that are not playable on other systems.   And what's this bullshit with "long forgotten" that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on these forums. And we have some weird threads on here. :P "
This! "
This this. The PS2 has a great library of games, especially recent 2D fighters like Unlimited Match and Accent Core. And its still a legit platform for casual gamers.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

Its cheap, and it has a huge collection of games. That might just be the reason.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yani

Its a great option for families with little spare cash.  The system is pretty cheap now, as are the games, and there are a ton of amazing games for the ps2 with more coming out all the time (like Persona 4).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

With no backwards compatibility in the current PS3, it's a good buy if you want to play those old games.  Additionally, PS2 games can be had for less than a fast-food lunch very often.  And, the PS2 because of it's price point and massive selection of games, makes a perfect starter-system for children.  Why should we only assume that teens and adults are playing on the device?  If a parent wanted to get their 7-year old a system that had a lot to choose from and, considering how kids treat their toys, wasn't a sizable investment, the PS2 is the perfect choice.

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InTheEnd

You know, the PS2 is still a viable platform. I mean P4 came out just a year ago and it's still being supported by major franchises like Madden and Guitar Hero.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By guiseppe

In my opinion the PS2 still beats the PS3 in the amount of quality games there are for it. So it doesn't seem that strange to me. If I didn't have a backwards compatible PS3 I'd have to go buy a PS2 too.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Phaseshift

because brazil needs some gaming yo!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Mushir

Because it has the most kickass collection of games of any console.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teh_Eel

Because it is the best console of all tme, and has an awesome selection of games.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

it is cheap to buy and the games are also cheap. people want to play some of the classic games that ps3, xbox 360 and wii don't have. 

sony should have put backward compatibility into the ps3. it could have got more sales by that.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

Singstar, Buzz and  kids games... theres no reason to but a 360 or a ps3 for a 5 or 6 year old just so they can play some shitty film tie in... cheap reliable and awesome party games for all the family... 

and on top of that  the best selection of brilliant videogames like...ever (probably)
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By farmer

I almost bought one recently for the pure number of games.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By therabidfrog

I bought one earlier this year. We got mold in our apartment and I had to sell a chunk of my DVD collection because they wouldn't let me bring them back into the apartment. At that point I was PC only, but I happen to be in Gamestop next to the hotel where we were staying and thought "What the hell? I never got to play Dragon Quest VIII."

The games are cheap now so if you're strapped for cash like a lot of people you can build up a pretty big library of great games and not spend too much money. Why not buy one?

acecards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By acecards
@Phaseshift said:

" because brazil needs some gaming yo! "

in brazil almost everyone that wants to have a ps2 already have it(since a realiable modchip got out to be exact but that's is another subject)