splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 splodge  Online

I hope they get it.

I know they are catching a lot of shit because they are a "big developer", but 775k is a very small amount of money when it comes to making a game.

Wont be backing it myself, don't have the platform to play it on, but best of luck to them.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be backing it - I have no interest in Amplitude - but its awesome they got this far

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By fattony12000
freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they will just barely get it. At least I'm assuming the last day of a Kickstarter is typically a good day with a rush of last minute donators hoping to be the ones that put it over the edge.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By DoctorTran

I was interested up until I saw it was going to be PS3/PS4. I have a PS3 but I prefer Xbone and PC, and I won't be buying a PS4 for awhile.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

$713k with a little more than 28 hours to go. The finish line is in sight, and it looks like this one will cross it.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Hopefully it gets backed. I'm not donating because I've never played Amplitude, so nothing is really motivating me to. I am interested in checking out the finished product though.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backed it really early on, hope it makes it (and at this point, it looks like it will)!

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm afraid it gonna barely make it, and then that they'll end up getting less money (cancelled payment and that kind of stuff) than they asked for. It would put them in a bad spot where they'd need to do the game but with less financing that they hoped for.

Still, I'm rooting for them and I hope this game gets made. Never played amplitude before, but every Harmonix games I played I loved.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By kishinfoulux

@kishinfoulux said:

This is exactly why I can never support Kickstarter, because I knew this day would come. Big publishers/devs using it is gross. I don't care what kind of rationale they spit out. Can't wait for Activision to kickstart the next Call of Duty. You laugh and say I'm exaggerating, but would you honestly be shocked by that or something similar? I have no ill will towards Harmonix and I know they are friends of the site, but again this is gross.

I don't think comparing Harmonix, a rather niche developer (especially after the fading popularity of Rock Band), to one of the biggest publishers in the world is fair. Hell, even comparing a developer asking for money to a publisher is incorrect, as publishers are often the ones funding projects while developers have to beg/prove their worth for that money.

They want to bring back a game that didn't make a great deal of money when it was originally released, AND they have to license it from Sony, a deal which also restricts their ability to sell it on every platform. Also, Harmonix is putting twice as much as the asked for Kickstarter amount into the game's funding themselves, so it isn't just some charity case.

I can understand if you feel this is crossing a line; this type of funding is very new and will take some time for everyone to get used to. I don't think, however, that calling it gross is correct. Harmonix just wants to return to a loved franchise that they has had no luck finding funding; why not ask the fans for the money if they really want a new Amplitude?

Harmonix is hardly niche. C'mon now. They aren't Activision, but they aren't exactly some small indie upstart. If it's a hassle to bring back, that's just a sign they shouldn't bring it back. I don't have any sympathy for that cause. If they don't have the funds for it maybe they shouldn't do it.

@kishinfoulux said:

This is exactly why I can never support Kickstarter, because I knew this day would come. Big publishers/devs using it is gross. I don't care what kind of rationale they spit out. Can't wait for Activision to kickstart the next Call of Duty. You laugh and say I'm exaggerating, but would you honestly be shocked by that or something similar? I have no ill will towards Harmonix and I know they are friends of the site, but again this is gross.

On the surface it may seem gross but if you actually took the time to read what they have to say and not just jump to conclusions then you would find that it's not so gross after all. They've tried asking Sony/other publishers/venture capital to help them fund this but they all turned them down so now they are turning to Kickstarter as a last resort. Kickstarting a relatively niche game like Amplitude is on a completely different level than kickstarting a new Call of Duty. If this leads to other publishers/devs trying to kickstart sequels to big AAA franchises then yeah, that would be pretty gross and we should protest that shit. However, this particular kickstarter ain't doing that and so I see no reason for protest.

If they got turned down I'll take that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be. The hilarious thing is that Kickstarter was doomed failure. I don't know if they met their goal or not (nor do I care), but I know that it was not even close to making it until they all starting screaming about it every minute of every day, and media people (which is gross in of itself) started getting into the act as well. Nobody cared about it, but they forced the issue as hard as possible.

@kishinfoulux said:

What's gross about it? Games cost money to make.

Well fuck then I guess Blizzard should just Kickstart Diablo 4 then right?

That seems like an illegal amount of money.

Apparently you aren't allowed to think that here, among the Harmonix Defense Force. They are tiny and niche damn it.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: Why do you have to be so agressive about it?

Amplitude is a niche project for a niche audience. If that audience wants it they should kickstart it. Everybody that pay for the kickstarter do it of their own volition, media coverage or not.

750k is not much to make a game. Comparing them to Blizzard potentially kickstarting Diablo 3 is misguided.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harmonix is hardly niche. C'mon now. They aren't Activision, but they aren't exactly some small indie upstart. If it's a hassle to bring back, that's just a sign they shouldn't bring it back. I don't have any sympathy for that cause. If they don't have the funds for it maybe they shouldn't do it.

Yeah! Fuck people wanting to follow their wants, desires, dreams, and hopes! If you don't have the means to do something you should just accept you don't have those means and move on! Accept only what is within your current grasp and never aspire for anything!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: you can make your statement by not supporting it, and me and many others can make our statement by supporting it. that's all you need to do, rather than this aggressive internet bandstanding.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By Itwastuesday

740k! go go go go gogogogogo

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By defaultprophet

@fistfulofmetal said:

Apparently you aren't allowed to think that here, among the Harmonix Defense Force. They are tiny and niche damn it.

It has nothing to do with a "Defense Force", which jesus christ just stop I bet you call people social justice warriors too, it has to do with people not knowing how much games cost.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Itwastuesday

750,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's gonna happen what are we gonna do let's throw a party

mintyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow they actually might make it...

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than $25k to go. The dream is real!

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

@fistfulofmetal said:

It has nothing to do with a "Defense Force", which jesus christ just stop I bet you call people social justice warriors too, it has to do with people not knowing how much games cost.

Loading Video...

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they'll make it.

My only concern is that with them promising more stuff to backers than when they first started the Kickstarter, that $775k may not seem enough to offset the extra rewards =/

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fistfulofmetal said:

And YOU DO?!

I'm kidding. People are just dumb, when it comes to things they know nothing about. Makes sense really.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@kishinfoulux said:

Is Harmonix the smallest developer? Of course not. I never meant to infer that they are incapable of funding a project themselves. At this point in time, however, they are still a group that doesn't make a lot of games with widespread appeal and moneymaking potential. I understand why you are so off-put by this whole thing. On some level, a company directly asking for money to make a project--a project no one obviously sees enough financial potential in to fund--seems skeevy and unethical.

You're also absolutely right that the Amplitude Kickstarter got a huge amount of coverage across games media, from a variety of games writers who may seem slightly biased in the way they noted the public of the Kickstarter. This coverage likely got it funded (well, almost at this point). I can understand why this seems to go against journalistic integrity; why don't those writers cover all the Kickstarters, to ensure no bias? This is the one part of the issue that makes me a little squeamish, as I feel some good, well thought-out Kickstarters fail just because no one knows about them.

On the other hand, do these writers not get to act like human beings? Why can't they be really excited about something and want everyone else to be excited about it too? I don't necessarily like this concept that games writers should be these emotionless, perfeclty unbiased people who show no favor to one game over another. Everyone is going to be at least a little biased about certain games; the test of a true games writer is how they don't let that bias get in the way of the truth about a game or company. I like that these writers got passionate about a game they really used to love, even if it seems a bit favorable to one developer over another.

Everyone has to draw their line at some point; it just seems that you are in the minority for this issue. Is a bigger developer going to try this at some point, pushing the ethics of the whole thing too far for most people? Absolutely, and I hope that the backlash is as big as it deserves on that day. Kickstarter is, and always should be, a last resort for developers who can't get funding for their project any other way. It's a way for users to vet game ideas they want to see made and ignore those they don't care about.

I'm not trying to convince you or anything, but I wanted you to understand why someone can find this whole thing acceptable. In the end, it all comes down to how each of us feel about the whole thing on a personal level.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Itwastuesday

@wemibelec90 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Is Harmonix the smallest developer? Of course not. I never meant to infer that they are incapable of funding a project themselves. At this point in time, however, they are still a group that doesn't make a lot of games with widespread appeal and moneymaking potential. I understand why you are so off-put by this whole thing. On some level, a company directly asking for money to make a project--a project no one obviously sees enough financial potential in to fund--seems skeevy and unethical.

You're also absolutely right that the Amplitude Kickstarter got a huge amount of coverage across games media, from a variety of games writers who may seem slightly biased in the way they noted the public of the Kickstarter. This coverage likely got it funded (well, almost at this point). I can understand why this seems to go against journalistic integrity; why don't those writers cover all the Kickstarters, to ensure no bias? This is the one part of the issue that makes me a little squeamish, as I feel some good, well thought-out Kickstarters fail just because no one knows about them.

On the other hand, do these writers not get to act like human beings? Why can't they be really excited about something and want everyone else to be excited about it too? I don't necessarily like this concept that games writers should be these emotionless, perfeclty unbiased people who show no favor to one game over another. Everyone is going to be at least a little biased about certain games; the test of a true games writer is how they don't let that bias get in the way of the truth about a game or company. I like that these writers got passionate about a game they really used to love, even if it seems a bit favorable to one developer over another.

Everyone has to draw their line at some point; it just seems that you are in the minority for this issue. Is a bigger developer going to try this at some point, pushing the ethics of the whole thing too far for most people? Absolutely, and I hope that the backlash is as big as it deserves on that day. Kickstarter is, and always should be, a last resort for developers who can't get funding for their project any other way. It's a way for users to vet game ideas they want to see made and ignore those they don't care about.

I'm not trying to convince you or anything, but I wanted you to understand why someone can find this whole thing acceptable. In the end, it all comes down to how each of us feel about the whole thing on a personal level.

i didnt read this post but if you would like to see a new amplitude on PS3 and PS4 you should give your 20 bux to harmonix before 24 hours pass from this point!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By ajamafalous

Wow, looks like they'll actually make it. Checked it a day ago and it seemed doomed for failure. Good on them.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least if this finally makes it my twitter feed will no longer be full of thousands of tweets a day from Drake, Pope etc about the fucking kickstarter. It's kind of sad that they had to make so much fuss about the whole thing to finally get money for it, but whatever, it's done now.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skullgirls devs kicked in $7500 today, so one of their music pieces will be in it.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

At least if this finally makes it my twitter feed will no longer be full of thousands of tweets a day from Drake, Pope etc about the fucking kickstarter. It's kind of sad that they had to make so much fuss about the whole thing to finally get money for it, but whatever, it's done now.

it's too bad you're mandated by law to follow them!

755k barrier crossed! 20k to go!

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

Weird, I also follow them on twitter and at most see maybe 3-5 posts about the kickstarter each day.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I can understand why some people also may be harping on them for how much attention they've been trying to get this, I think it's important to understand that they've probably only been pushing it so hard because of the fact that due to some slip-ups/the way things are they ended up with only a portion of their normal time available to get it funded. Instead of the normal 30 days to get it funded, I believe they ended up having only 16 or 18 days or something available, which cut deep into how much money that they may have been able to earn organically for the project.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i guess people can't promote their own businesses nowaday huh.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no doubt that a big developer has the ability to just call up a friend to put them over the top. People that thought this wouldn't get backed are funny. Just senseless hate.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

There's no doubt that a big developer has the ability to just call up a friend to put them over the top. People that thought this wouldn't get backed are funny. Just senseless hate.

hardly. before the last couple days it wasn't looking good at all. I wanted harmonix to succeed as i liked amplitude but i was big weary they would do it. good for them.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Kickstarter successful!

$776k passed!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

hardly. before the last couple days it wasn't looking good at all. I wanted harmonix to succeed as i liked amplitude but i was big weary they would do it. good for them.

Yeah, I would've given it around a ten percent chance of actually reaching the goal if you asked me a week ago. 75k or so came from big-pocket donors who put in over $3.5k, but I didn't think they'd even get to 700k last week. Good on them for bringing it home.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

I don't really care about the game, but a lot of people were saying this would never get funded in a hateful tone when this first got announced. If you weren't "hating", then you don't need to get defensive. I'm clearly not talking about everyone. People read too much into generalizations on the internet.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first stretch goal is online multiplayer.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

@darkstalker said:

@freakin9 said:

I don't really care about the game, but a lot of people were saying this would never get funded in a hateful tone when this first got announced. If you weren't "hating", then you don't need to get defensive. I'm clearly not talking about everyone. People read too much into generalizations on the internet.

i wasn't being defensive. its all in good conversation. there is always people who want people to fail i didnt really bother noticing them but with them being 150k away a couple days ago and the fact there is no pc/mac release there was no reason to believe it was a sure thing. not even harmonix would think that.

It may be the first bigger goal kickstarter game to get funded without a pc or multiplatform release.

were missing the real question here: where is the barkerville dlc?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! They got funded \o/

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Awesome. I hope they have a video of the whole office standing around a computer screen while refreshing when they hit the mark. Everyone jumping around and screaming.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally didn't think it would happen, upped my pledge to 100 after never playing or seeing the game because I love what Harmonix does. But the last few days have been batshit crazy for them. So fucking cool that they pulled it off, can't wait till March next year.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

@darkstalker said:

@freakin9 said:

i wasn't being defensive. its all in good conversation. there is always people who want people to fail i didnt really bother noticing them but with them being 150k away a couple days ago and the fact there is no pc/mac release there was no reason to believe it was a sure thing. not even harmonix would think that.

It may be the first bigger goal kickstarter game to get funded without a pc or multiplatform release.

were missing the real question here: where is the barkerville dlc?

I don't know, that seemed like a sure thing to me. Like I said, Drake can just make some calls to put up that money easy. And I wouldn't put it past Drake that he'd even turn a trick or two if he had to.

Now we see how much more they get. Always crazy to me to see these Kickstarters sometimes get way more than they asked for. Yeah, means more stuff in the game, but still seems bonkers to me.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Online multiplayer is $1.125 million.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Capum15

Oh cool, good for them. Too bad the stretch goal wasn't a Vita version but I'll still keep an eye on this.

Edit: Lang Zone calling in, demanding more excitement.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i checked in on it i thought it wouldn't make it, but im glad it did

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Lang called in drunk, we need a video of this ASAP. Personally I hope he sang Baskerville drunk, that would be fantastic.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did not sing, but things got hilariously uncomfortable!