• 58 results
#1 Posted by Tebbit (4565 posts) -

Yeah, I know Brad said in the review that the music is good, but holy crap: 

It really kicks out at about 2.10, not that the rest isn't good and atmospheric. 

Anyway the point of this post is, has there ever been a game (and there have certainly been a few for me - que spyro the  dragon) where regardless of great level design or gameplay or graphics, the main thing you remember from a game is its music?
#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7854 posts) -

Diablo's Tristam music really burned itself into my brain. Most JRPG titles do the same. The most recent example I can think of is Half Minute Hero.

#3 Posted by PenguinDust (12763 posts) -

This one.  Great game, sure but wow, I want that playing in everything I do in everyday life.  

(Well, a long time ago I said I wanted the Godzilla theme as my personal soundtrack, and I stand by that, but as far as something from a video game, I'll go with Oblivion every time.)
#4 Posted by SlowHands (366 posts) -

Amon Tobin's soundtrack for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.  The game was excellent, but the music is super-excellent.

#5 Posted by Breadfan (6803 posts) -

I would have loved Half-Life 2 anyway, but the game's soundtrack is excellent. 

I thought it was great how they would almost reward you with a new bit of music at important scenes, instead of playing the same tune over and over.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7854 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Is is just me or does the title sound track sound different in the main menu and the introduction video when you start a new game?
#7 Posted by Tebbit (4565 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" I would have loved Half-Life 2 anyway, but the game's soundtrack is excellent.  I thought it was great how they would almost reward you with a new bit of music at important scenes, instead of playing the same tune over and over. "
I always felt that way too. Any game that makes it feel like a new 10 - 20 second piece of music is a reward is doing something right.
#8 Posted by zombie2011 (5194 posts) -

I used to love getting into battles because of this music. Its starts off all aggressive but the best part is from 50 seconds onwards, when the music changes. 

#9 Edited by Hilikus (285 posts) -

Kelly Bailey is the man

#10 Posted by ToxicFruit (1884 posts) -

This is one of my top most loved  video game song ever

@PenguinDust: That one is pretty great to :P
#11 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2472 posts) -

Puzzle quest had some damn good music, although I have to give my vote to Halo for having some of the best music I have heard.

#12 Posted by DeadMan (153 posts) -

Zelda anyone?

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13319 posts) -

Dude, Bully had SUCH a great soundtrack, I fucking love that game, and a big part of it is because of that awesome soundtrack.

#14 Posted by Artemis_D (831 posts) -

I'm never much for original video game soundtracks, but the Ocarina of Time soundtrack is one I have never been able to forget.  EVERYONE on this website should have fond memories of that soundtracks.

Also, the opening theme from Maniac Mansion = Fucking awesome.

#15 Posted by turbomonkey138 (5281 posts) -

Civilization had a amazing soundtrack 

#16 Edited by angelkanarias (1523 posts) -

Great song, it made me happy for buying the game.
 Bonus: 

this also made me happy for buying the game (not official soundtrack)
#17 Posted by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

A bad game will always be a bad game, but music still makes a huge impact, whether you realize it, or not. I remember seeing some sort of special on this a while back where they played a section of a game with great music, then played the same scene again with different music, then no music at all, and the latter two really showcased the point of just how much music affects your perception of a moment.

#18 Posted by Spiral_Stars (481 posts) -
@Toxic said:

"
This is one of my top most loved  video game song ever

@PenguinDust: That one is pretty great to :P "

#19 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2031 posts) -

Recently? Torchlight. I also almost bought Aion for the soundtrack, but I was able to stop myself on that one.

#20 Posted by Griddler (3374 posts) -

Max Payne 2 no question

#21 Edited by Jeust (11373 posts) -
#22 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2233 posts) -

Rockband 2 LOL, and you can add more to the soundtrack! no game has ever done this, other than the other music games...

#23 Posted by Nasar7 (2960 posts) -
@DeadMan said:
" Zelda anyone? "
#24 Posted by Icemael (6795 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Galaxy, Okami and The Darkness come to mind.

#25 Posted by KennyPowers (252 posts) -

vice city's soundtrack made the game feel even more "decadent 80's"

#26 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1606 posts) -

Viva Pinata has some beautiful music... 

#27 Posted by 02sfraser (855 posts) -

There are a lot of games where the soundtrack make the game that bit better. Final Fantasy VII has to be my favourite game soundtrack of all time (i know suprise). Metal Gear games, Zelda, Littlebigplanet and Mario are all games where I love the soundtracks.

#28 Posted by TeflonBilly (4742 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

" Dude, Bully had SUCH a great soundtrack, I fucking love that game, and a big part of it is because of that awesome soundtrack. "

Fuck yes! I absolutely loved the soundtrack for Bully. There was something intangibly charming about bicycling around to the Bully Main Theme

#29 Posted by labam89 (318 posts) -

Diablo's Tristam theme and Shadow of the Colossus, pretty much all the tracks on that game rocked. 

#30 Posted by Mushir (2631 posts) -

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Seriously that game sucks ass. The gameplay is bad and so is the level design. And the game is so unclear about certain stuff. But the music, KICKS ASS!

I even have that song as my freakin' ringtone.
#31 Posted by Gazel_Ministry (130 posts) -

I can think of a lot of games where the music was more memorable than the game itself, but one that sticks out the most for me  is Morrowind. It's an amazing soundtrack

#32 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -

Amazing game, even better music- 

#33 Posted by Symphony (1934 posts) -

As many have said there are plenty of games where the soundtrack made the game better -- FFVI, Xenogears, FFVII, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Parasite Eve, Persona 3, etc are all examples that stand out for me.

As for a game where the soundtrack "made" the game... for me it would have to be the Ar Tonelico series. The games themselves are not all that great. They're generic dating-sim RPGs with really poor localization, but the music is so phenomenal that I find myself playing less for the story and more to hear the music Akiko Shikata composed.

Oh, on second thought how about DDR, Rock Band, Beatmania, or Frequency? Without music those would have been unplayable! ;P

#34 Posted by AjayRaz (12651 posts) -
@TooWalrus: bully was so fucking awesome. really had a good time with that game.  

as for me. the music is a huge factor for me in a video game. with shit music, it just ruins a lot for me. i really like the Red Faction: Guerrilla soundtrack, it's great.  

#35 Posted by roofy (1021 posts) -

vice city

#36 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1582 posts) -

Persona anyone? I was going to say Half-Life or the Elder Scrolls or even Lost Odyssey but those were already taken. Still, the music in the Persona games is tight.

Actually, some of the best music I've ever heard is in the Persona games.

#37 Edited by HatKing (6407 posts) -

Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion 
An epic score in a RPG can really make the game feel significantly more exciting. 

Also the music from GTAIII through IV will hold a special place in my heart, probably due to the insane amount of times I've heard it all. 

EDIT:  Oh and I really like the score in Halo, I honestly don't think that game would be as epic without it... in fact I don't think the story is all that epic and I personally did not like the ending, but the music kind of made up for it... at least a little.
#38 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8663 posts) -

Super Mario 64 still has some of the best music in any game I have listened to. I just listened to a few yesterday and had a great trip (huh?). Check some of them out: 

It is really beautiful music. Also, I would put Oblivion, Uncharted 2 and Halo 3 up there in terms of cinematic quality. Braid has a great soundtrack just because of how original and mysterious it is.
#39 Posted by Kyle (2375 posts) -

There are plenty of game soundtracks that I love, but I don't think a soundtrack has ever made me really like a game that I wouldn't have otherwise.

#40 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6912 posts) -

Quest for Glory V.  It wasn't a terrible game, but I remember the game's score with much more fondness than the game deserved.
#41 Posted by n8 (281 posts) -
@Twilight said:

" Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Seriously that game sucks ass. The gameplay is bad and so is the level design. And the game is so unclear about certain stuff. But the music, KICKS ASS!

I even have that song as my freakin' ringtone. "
OK so the engrish was bad to the point where cheating was required... but..  this game did NOT suck ass.  Me and a buddy took a day out of our busy college schedules and beat this game start to finish..  and I can safely say the time was not mis-used.  

And for some on-topic stuff:  Anything Shoji Meguro touches is absolute gold in my opinion.  I've even gone to the point where I listen to his game soundtracks in my car... which is a little bit crazy even for me. 
#42 Posted by Gamer_152 (14281 posts) -

I don't think I'd ever go so far as to say music as ever made a game for me, but I think my two biggest examples of music having a major impact on me with a game were with the Halo trilogy and Viva Pinata, the soundtracks on those two really blew me away. I also have very fond memories from when I was younger of the music in Pokemon Yellow, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Bros 2. The music in general in Mario has also been great, as have the soundtracks for Legend of Zelda, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, Oblivion and World of Warcraft.

#43 Posted by AjayRaz (12651 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" As many have said there are plenty of games where the soundtrack made the game better -- FFVI, Xenogears, FFVII, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Parasite Eve, Persona 3, etc are all examples that stand out for me. 
i'll agree with you on Blazblue. the soundtrack for that game is one of my favorite this gen, and i have to admit the music is kind of catchy too. 
#44 Posted by JCGamer (760 posts) -

Final Fantasy II for the SNES and Super Castlevania IV.

#45 Posted by BaconGames (3772 posts) -

Oblivion and Ocarina of Time.  GODDAMN

#46 Posted by Adamantium (891 posts) -
@roofy said:
" vice city "
#47 Posted by n8 (281 posts) -

Oh, and this:

Obviously, it is one of those games that was truly epic on all fronts...  and the music definitely held up it's end of the bargain.
#48 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3634 posts) -

DJ hero

#49 Posted by EyeNixon (9 posts) -

There are quite a few stand-outs I'm aware of.
The first of which is the Total Annihilation soundtrack, it was orchestral, and it was Jeremy Soule, however unlike his later work, especially on games such as the Elder Scrolls series, it wasn't mundane, drab, annoying music that forced me into switching off the audio five minutes into the game.

It fit perfectly well, the orchestral swells and explosive quality of its soundtrack matched wonderfully with the rampant chaos and destruction prevalent in Total Annihilation, it's one of the few RTS soundtracks that isn't ambient yet manages to do something other than be annoyingly grating.

Beyond that there are the obvious titles such as Diablo, the C&C series. However, I always admired the Kane & Lynch soundtrack, Jesper Kyd is consistently able and talented when it comes to composing video game soundtracks, and his work with IO on the Hitman series was phenomenal, but he really hit his stride with Kane & Lynch, wonderfully subtle behind the scenes music that worked to build a great atmosphere.

My absolute favorite soundtrack for any game can be found in Skullmonkeys, it was a pretty low-profile PSX platformer that was too difficult to really find its stride and simply wasn't advertised enough to sell all that well, but despite all that it both had an extraordinary art style (completely animated with clay) and excellent music composed by Terry S. Taylor, a soundtrack weird, catchy and just damn good all around.

#50 Edited by InsanePotato (210 posts) -

Blizzard can basically do no wrong music wise. Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 2 and 3 for sure. Even WoW has a ton of good music and I truly believe people wouldn't fall in love with that world without it. The barrens music, stormwind castle and darnassus priest temple music are all great examples.
Morrowind and Oblivion for sure (love the start of Oblivion with the flyover of the city).
Megaman 2 has some of the best music ever. Tell me you didn't get pumped the first Dr Wily stage.  

The halo series in general. I love that series but I totally believe the music is THE major reason of why that series has been successful. Gameplay alone would not of sold it.
Final Fantasies 4 and 6 without question.

Basically all of these games are good but its the music that makes them something truly special.

Edit: Totally forgot ODST (not really including that in Halo series). ODST has some of the best ambience setting music ever. If you were playing that game alone with the music cranked you got an amazing sense of isolation as you wander the streets as the rookie.