Has a game soundtrack ever made a game for you?

• 58 results
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tebbit

Yeah, I know Brad said in the review that the music is good, but holy crap: 

It really kicks out at about 2.10, not that the rest isn't good and atmospheric. 

Anyway the point of this post is, has there ever been a game (and there have certainly been a few for me - que spyro the  dragon) where regardless of great level design or gameplay or graphics, the main thing you remember from a game is its music?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Diablo's Tristam music really burned itself into my brain. Most JRPG titles do the same. The most recent example I can think of is Half Minute Hero.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

This one.  Great game, sure but wow, I want that playing in everything I do in everyday life.  

(Well, a long time ago I said I wanted the Godzilla theme as my personal soundtrack, and I stand by that, but as far as something from a video game, I'll go with Oblivion every time.)
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SlowHands

Amon Tobin's soundtrack for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.  The game was excellent, but the music is super-excellent.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

I would have loved Half-Life 2 anyway, but the game's soundtrack is excellent. 

I thought it was great how they would almost reward you with a new bit of music at important scenes, instead of playing the same tune over and over.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
@PenguinDust: Is is just me or does the title sound track sound different in the main menu and the introduction video when you start a new game?
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tebbit
@Br3adfan said:
" I would have loved Half-Life 2 anyway, but the game's soundtrack is excellent.  I thought it was great how they would almost reward you with a new bit of music at important scenes, instead of playing the same tune over and over. "
I always felt that way too. Any game that makes it feel like a new 10 - 20 second piece of music is a reward is doing something right.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I used to love getting into battles because of this music. Its starts off all aggressive but the best part is from 50 seconds onwards, when the music changes. 

Hilikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hilikus

Kelly Bailey is the man

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ToxicFruit

This is one of my top most loved  video game song ever

@PenguinDust: That one is pretty great to :P
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Puzzle quest had some damn good music, although I have to give my vote to Halo for having some of the best music I have heard.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DeadMan

Zelda anyone?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

Dude, Bully had SUCH a great soundtrack, I fucking love that game, and a big part of it is because of that awesome soundtrack.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By harrisonave

I'm never much for original video game soundtracks, but the Ocarina of Time soundtrack is one I have never been able to forget.  EVERYONE on this website should have fond memories of that soundtracks.

Also, the opening theme from Maniac Mansion = Fucking awesome.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138

Civilization had a amazing soundtrack 

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By angelkanarias

Great song, it made me happy for buying the game.
 Bonus: 

this also made me happy for buying the game (not official soundtrack)
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

A bad game will always be a bad game, but music still makes a huge impact, whether you realize it, or not. I remember seeing some sort of special on this a while back where they played a section of a game with great music, then played the same scene again with different music, then no music at all, and the latter two really showcased the point of just how much music affects your perception of a moment.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Spiral_Stars
@Toxic said:

"
This is one of my top most loved  video game song ever

@PenguinDust: That one is pretty great to :P "
No Caption Provided

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Recently? Torchlight. I also almost bought Aion for the soundtrack, but I was able to stop myself on that one.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Griddler

Max Payne 2 no question

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Rockband 2 LOL, and you can add more to the soundtrack! no game has ever done this, other than the other music games...

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nasar7
@DeadMan said:
" Zelda anyone? "
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Icemael

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Galaxy, Okami and The Darkness come to mind.

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KennyPowers

vice city's soundtrack made the game feel even more "decadent 80's"

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Viva Pinata has some beautiful music... 

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 02sfraser

There are a lot of games where the soundtrack make the game that bit better. Final Fantasy VII has to be my favourite game soundtrack of all time (i know suprise). Metal Gear games, Zelda, Littlebigplanet and Mario are all games where I love the soundtracks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:

" Dude, Bully had SUCH a great soundtrack, I fucking love that game, and a big part of it is because of that awesome soundtrack. "

Fuck yes! I absolutely loved the soundtrack for Bully. There was something intangibly charming about bicycling around to the Bully Main Theme

labam89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By labam89

Diablo's Tristam theme and Shadow of the Colossus, pretty much all the tracks on that game rocked. 

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Mushir

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Seriously that game sucks ass. The gameplay is bad and so is the level design. And the game is so unclear about certain stuff. But the music, KICKS ASS!

I even have that song as my freakin' ringtone.
gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gazel_ministry

I can think of a lot of games where the music was more memorable than the game itself, but one that sticks out the most for me  is Morrowind. It's an amazing soundtrack

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob

Amazing game, even better music- 

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By Symphony

As many have said there are plenty of games where the soundtrack made the game better -- FFVI, Xenogears, FFVII, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Parasite Eve, Persona 3, etc are all examples that stand out for me.

As for a game where the soundtrack "made" the game... for me it would have to be the Ar Tonelico series. The games themselves are not all that great. They're generic dating-sim RPGs with really poor localization, but the music is so phenomenal that I find myself playing less for the story and more to hear the music Akiko Shikata composed.

Oh, on second thought how about DDR, Rock Band, Beatmania, or Frequency? Without music those would have been unplayable! ;P

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By bed
@TooWalrus: bully was so fucking awesome. really had a good time with that game.  

as for me. the music is a huge factor for me in a video game. with shit music, it just ruins a lot for me. i really like the Red Faction: Guerrilla soundtrack, it's great.  

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By roofy

vice city

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Persona anyone? I was going to say Half-Life or the Elder Scrolls or even Lost Odyssey but those were already taken. Still, the music in the Persona games is tight.

Actually, some of the best music I've ever heard is in the Persona games.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking

Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion 
An epic score in a RPG can really make the game feel significantly more exciting. 

Also the music from GTAIII through IV will hold a special place in my heart, probably due to the insane amount of times I've heard it all. 

EDIT:  Oh and I really like the score in Halo, I honestly don't think that game would be as epic without it... in fact I don't think the story is all that epic and I personally did not like the ending, but the music kind of made up for it... at least a little.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By RHCPfan24

Super Mario 64 still has some of the best music in any game I have listened to. I just listened to a few yesterday and had a great trip (huh?). Check some of them out: 

It is really beautiful music. Also, I would put Oblivion, Uncharted 2 and Halo 3 up there in terms of cinematic quality. Braid has a great soundtrack just because of how original and mysterious it is.
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Kyle

There are plenty of game soundtracks that I love, but I don't think a soundtrack has ever made me really like a game that I wouldn't have otherwise.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#40  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Quest for Glory V.  It wasn't a terrible game, but I remember the game's score with much more fondness than the game deserved.
n8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By n8
@Twilight said:

" Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Seriously that game sucks ass. The gameplay is bad and so is the level design. And the game is so unclear about certain stuff. But the music, KICKS ASS!

I even have that song as my freakin' ringtone. "
OK so the engrish was bad to the point where cheating was required... but..  this game did NOT suck ass.  Me and a buddy took a day out of our busy college schedules and beat this game start to finish..  and I can safely say the time was not mis-used.  

And for some on-topic stuff:  Anything Shoji Meguro touches is absolute gold in my opinion.  I've even gone to the point where I listen to his game soundtracks in my car... which is a little bit crazy even for me. 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#42  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think I'd ever go so far as to say music as ever made a game for me, but I think my two biggest examples of music having a major impact on me with a game were with the Halo trilogy and Viva Pinata, the soundtracks on those two really blew me away. I also have very fond memories from when I was younger of the music in Pokemon Yellow, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Bros 2. The music in general in Mario has also been great, as have the soundtracks for Legend of Zelda, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, Oblivion and World of Warcraft.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By bed
@Symphony said:
" As many have said there are plenty of games where the soundtrack made the game better -- FFVI, Xenogears, FFVII, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Parasite Eve, Persona 3, etc are all examples that stand out for me. 
i'll agree with you on Blazblue. the soundtrack for that game is one of my favorite this gen, and i have to admit the music is kind of catchy too. 
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JCGamer

Final Fantasy II for the SNES and Super Castlevania IV.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By bacongames

Oblivion and Ocarina of Time.  GODDAMN

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Adamantium
@roofy said:
" vice city "
n8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By n8

Oh, and this:

Obviously, it is one of those games that was truly epic on all fronts...  and the music definitely held up it's end of the bargain.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DJ hero

EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EyeNixon

There are quite a few stand-outs I'm aware of.
The first of which is the Total Annihilation soundtrack, it was orchestral, and it was Jeremy Soule, however unlike his later work, especially on games such as the Elder Scrolls series, it wasn't mundane, drab, annoying music that forced me into switching off the audio five minutes into the game.

It fit perfectly well, the orchestral swells and explosive quality of its soundtrack matched wonderfully with the rampant chaos and destruction prevalent in Total Annihilation, it's one of the few RTS soundtracks that isn't ambient yet manages to do something other than be annoyingly grating.

Beyond that there are the obvious titles such as Diablo, the C&C series. However, I always admired the Kane & Lynch soundtrack, Jesper Kyd is consistently able and talented when it comes to composing video game soundtracks, and his work with IO on the Hitman series was phenomenal, but he really hit his stride with Kane & Lynch, wonderfully subtle behind the scenes music that worked to build a great atmosphere.

My absolute favorite soundtrack for any game can be found in Skullmonkeys, it was a pretty low-profile PSX platformer that was too difficult to really find its stride and simply wasn't advertised enough to sell all that well, but despite all that it both had an extraordinary art style (completely animated with clay) and excellent music composed by Terry S. Taylor, a soundtrack weird, catchy and just damn good all around.

InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By InsanePotato

Blizzard can basically do no wrong music wise. Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 2 and 3 for sure. Even WoW has a ton of good music and I truly believe people wouldn't fall in love with that world without it. The barrens music, stormwind castle and darnassus priest temple music are all great examples.
Morrowind and Oblivion for sure (love the start of Oblivion with the flyover of the city).
Megaman 2 has some of the best music ever. Tell me you didn't get pumped the first Dr Wily stage.  

The halo series in general. I love that series but I totally believe the music is THE major reason of why that series has been successful. Gameplay alone would not of sold it.
Final Fantasies 4 and 6 without question.

Basically all of these games are good but its the music that makes them something truly special.

Edit: Totally forgot ODST (not really including that in Halo series). ODST has some of the best ambience setting music ever. If you were playing that game alone with the music cranked you got an amazing sense of isolation as you wander the streets as the rookie.