Has a poor presentation ever turned you off?

• 61 results
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Yep, I'm definitely guilty of judging a game by its "cover", particularly JRPGs or indie games. Mostly its the art style I'm judging though, not its technical proficiency (or lack thereof).

Tonch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To be honest, Hotline Miami's undulating, bright background colors give me an enormous headache. I can't play it for very long because of that.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish:

I suppose the equivalent for me would be Jojo's bizarre adventure, wich do have some really great designs, but is also is full of fashion-nightmares that are equally horrible and freaking awesome in my eyes. It wouldn't be the same without it.

Jojo's bizarre adventure allstar-battle has probably one of my favorite presentations from the last few years. To bad it's not that good of a game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pip-boy was one of the major reasons I had a really hard time getting into Fallout 3. It was before I jumped back on the console train, so for someone used to PC gaming only that UI was incredibly annoying.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Steadying

@yummylee: I dunno what happened to me while playing that game, but I was SO into the story. Like I almost couldn't put it down. Looking back it wasn't even that great.

And I will never forgive them for that total bullshit, rushed piece of garbage ending. I was not satisfied with anything that happened there. In fact, I would have just preferred them to end the game at the hand holding scene. JUDE JUST FUCKING GOES BACK TO SCHOOL?!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?

rant over sorry

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, the live action commercials for Diablo 3 made me not want to play it. I hated the obvious sexual innuendos they were forcing, and it was too "Yeah, 90's gamers are edgy and we like sex too!!!" for me. It disappointed me so much that I turned my head and still haven't played it to this day.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

@yummylee said:

The increasingly worsening presentation of the Tales games hasn't helped my fandom for that franchise any. For while the gameplay can be a lot of fun, the mediocre presentation of Xillia in particular bored me to tears. I reached a point where I just couldn't look at that game anymore it was all so bland.

This

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really liked the fluidity of Skullgirls and can see the love of fighting games from the people who made it. The character designs really put me off on the series though and I have only booted it up a couple of times just to play some locally. It's really tough to create a new fighting ip that can compete with the big boys, especially if you are an indie developer like they are. I heard there's a decent size community for Skullgirls so that's always a good thing to hear that some people are enjoying it.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all the trash out now you kind of have to deal with it. I also find that retro games have a insane level of charm and "magic" in them that is rare across the board now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Not really, no. It takes something with a Nethack/Dwarf Fortress level of presentational inscrutability to make me not want to deal with it. Otherwise I play old RPGs from the 90s with 2D Sprites in 3D environments all the time, and those games weren't even lookers by the standards of 1999.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored. Awful. The same sentence.

Sorry, if a game of that caliber turns you off.. you might be beyond redemption. Or you just don't like good things.

cyborgx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored managed to turn me off as well but with a trailer instead of the actual game. I remember watching it and during the first half I thought that this game might be for me. I liked the atmosphere and I like stealth games in general. But then the second part of the trailer was one, long, throat-slitting montage which made me give up on it immediately. By now I know it gave me the wrong impression, but I still couldn't bring up the enthusiasm to actually play it.