• 102 results
#1 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I find that most "horror" games these days are really no scarier than a teletubby. But once in awhile a game comes around that manages to scare me out of my chair.

Let's be perfectly clear here, I am not talking about one insignifcant pop-up-surprise! that may or may not have startled you. I'm talking about those games (or stages in games) so nerve-wracking that they instill in you a feeling of dread causing each step to be cautious, look in all directions, your ears to perk up, whiten your knuckles, trigger happify your trigger finger, and maybe even send shivers down your spine. I'm asking if a video game has ever scared you

The first time I experienced real fright in a video game was Condemned: Criminal Origins. Resident Evil, Shmesident Evil. Condemned: Criminal Origins is a real horror game.

Those who have played will hopefully vouch for me, because each moment playing that game is terrifying. Deserted and rundown buildings populated with the most violent humans and ferocious creatures imaginable, stalking you in the darkness waiting for the opportune moment to scream from only inches away whilst swinging a steel pipe or 4x4 with nails sticking out of it. I believe Ryan once said, "just looking at these buildings makes me want a tetanus shot." While the sequel is not as scary, it sure makes up for it in brutality. That's another story.

The only other time a game has really scared me was a stage within Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Not too many people have played this rather "indy" RPG, but those who have might know about the infamous Ocean House level. For the purpose of not revealing spoilers, I won't divulge much information about the events that take place in the haunted hotel. I will say, however, that Ocean House contains the scariest moments of any video game I have ever played.

I'm not some masochistic ass who loves to be frightened and I honestly do not like scary movies. Ironically, I more enjoy to be in the characters' shoes in horror video games. Go figure. I've kept an eye on Dead Space and hopefully it will turn out as I hope.

Your turn.

#2 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Bioshock was a little creepy. I actually found KOTOR 2 to have a sort of "scary effect"

#3 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -

yes, but that's not an achievement.

#4 Posted by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

I got scared when I first saw the flood in halo..I was youngggg back then, barely a teenager.

#5 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

F.E.A.R. really hit the mark for me. Anything of paranormal, mind bending style scary gets to me.

#6 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
pyromaniac said:
"I got scared when I first saw the flood in halo..I was youngggg back then, barely a teenager."

I forgot about that. I was playing co-op (on easy... >.<) with a friend and standing back to back in that room as the flood pounded on the doors. It was pretty scary.
#7 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

System Shock 2, played that alone in the dark, and it was fucking storming out...not the best idea -_-'

#8 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Tomb Raider 2, that butler was scary before you locked him in the freezer, those clanking glasses haunt me to this day. Seriously I'm not sure, I've never really gone for horror games.

#9 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -

Being about 5 years old playing the original Alone in the Dark scared the living s. out of me!! These days neither movies nor games scare me, besides jumpscares of cause, but they don't count!

#10 Posted by and333 (842 posts) -

The giant spiders in one of the resident evils can't remember which cause my brother would play and I would watch. Also the Spider in Sim ant.....I hate spiders!

#11 Edited by OroJackson (680 posts) -

I would play System Shock 2 from 12am to around 3:45 - 4:00 with all the lights off and the sound high

That was so fucking awsome and so damn scary!

#12 Posted by Trilvester (31 posts) -

I got really scared playing STALKER when I was in the underground labs.  That place was just plain creepy

#13 Posted by and333 (842 posts) -

Also condemned 2 is hella scary! even on the second playthrough I was on the edge of my seat!

#14 Posted by bowlerry (91 posts) -

Never been scared by a video game. Bioshock didnt effect me at all, and im only 15.

#15 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
bowlerry said:
"Never been scared by a video game. Bioshock didnt effect me at all, and im only 15."

That's because Bioshock isn't a scary game.
#16 Posted by roscone (33 posts) -

Bioshock never really scared me, but it certainly kept my nerves on edge.

The real example of being scared by a game for me is the sound that the fast zombies make in Half Life 2.  Those things always totally freak me out.  It's even worse because I have surround sound and I start running away from them, but the sound is behind me that way.  So creepy!

#17 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

Just yesterday I was adjusting one of those antenas in Condemned 2. As I turned around one of those dolls was just behind me. I just heard a "mommy" and then BAM!

My controller flew out of my hands and I accidentaly kicked my dog who was sleeping in my feet.

#18 Posted by Ravey (329 posts) -

I have memories of games that have startled me or given me the shivers, but not really any scary games.

#19 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

The most recent was Condemned 2, when you look in the mirror an see a dude behind you.
First and probably most scary game is Resi,was about 7 when i first played it, and the damn Crimson heads on the GC remake scared the living shit outa me first time i saw one.

#20 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"Just yesterday I was adjusting one of those antenas in Condemned 2. As I turned around one of those dolls was just behind me. I just heard a "mommy" and then BAM!

My controller flew out of my hands and I accidentaly kicked my dog who was sleeping in my feet."

Hahaha

I was also adjusting an antenna in Bloodshot when I heard the creak of wood behind me and the screen went red. I turned around and some thug started smashing my face in with a pipe.
#21 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -
roscone said:
"Bioshock never really scared me, but it certainly kept my nerves on edge.

The real example of being scared by a game for me is the sound that the fast zombies make in Half Life 2.  Those things always totally freak me out.  It's even worse because I have surround sound and I start running away from them, but the sound is behind me that way.  So creepy!"
I'd never call Half-Life scary, but it has a knack for building tension and suspense. No game series has made me jump quite like Half-Life, and those fast zombies are a great example. I think the last time I was genuinely scared by a game was when I saw my dad fighting The Abomination in the original Tomb Raider game. I was about seven, I think, and that thing gave me nightmares.
#22 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -

When the dog jumps through the window in Resident Evil....fucking dog

#23 Posted by roscone (33 posts) -
dankempster said:
"roscone said:
"Bioshock never really scared me, but it certainly kept my nerves on edge.

The real example of being scared by a game for me is the sound that the fast zombies make in Half Life 2.  Those things always totally freak me out.  It's even worse because I have surround sound and I start running away from them, but the sound is behind me that way.  So creepy!"
I'd never call Half-Life scary, but it has a knack for building tension and suspense. No game series has made me jump quite like Half-Life, and those fast zombies are a great example. I think the last time I was genuinely scared by a game was when I saw my dad fighting The Abomination in the original Tomb Raider game. I was about seven, I think, and that thing gave me nightmares."
Yeah, I know what you mean.  Coincidentally, Half Life 2 Episode 2's ending was one of the few times a game has actually moved me emotionally.  Damn combine adviser.
#24 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Jill sandwich...that line scares the fuck outa me every time i hear it

#25 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

King Kong when I first played it, and the start of Half-Life 2 freaked me out for some reason, the atmosphere was just fucking creepy.

#26 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

I dont really get scared by games in the sence of the freek me out and cant sleep for a month but they have made me jump and then I dont think anything else of it.

#27 Posted by bowlerry (91 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"bowlerry said:
"Never been scared by a video game. Bioshock didnt effect me at all, and im only 15."

That's because Bioshock isn't a scary game."
Well i know alot of people who was scared/ freaked out by bioshock so......
#28 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

I have yet to be scared from any game. Doom 3 had some cheap monster-in-the-closet moments, but there wasn't anything actually scary about the game. Didn't think FEAR was scary at all either. I might have to try Condemned though.

#29 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

I do want to try a game that has something that after playing stays in your head.

#30 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Colonel_Cool said:
"I have yet to be scared from any game. Doom 3 had some cheap monster-in-the-closet moments, but there wasn't anything actually scary about the game. Didn't think FEAR was scary at all either. I might have to try Condemned though."

The only time F.E.A.R. had any...

Fear was the first time Alma appeared .
#31 Edited by xxNBxx (970 posts) -

I think the first game that ever scared me was Wolfenstine 3 when you got to the first boss and for the first time in a game i heard voice.  Me and my brother will forever remember "I AM COMING FOR YOU" 

When playing doom when ever the shit hit the fan and things got crazy i would freak out

The first in-counter with "The Butcher"  in Diablo was a bit unnerving.

RE1 when the dogs jumped through the window, and when the frog things came after you.  "itchy... tasty"

There was one part in doom 3 early in the game where you go down this dark corridor and a dead body gets tossed at you I jumped and started to shoot all over the place only to be mocked by the demon laughing...  (shakes fist at demon)

The part in Bioshock where your in the dentist room and all that fog fills the room, next thing you know your facing a mirror, when you  turn around and there is the crazy dentist right in-front of you.  I almost jumped out of my seat.  (funny part was he just stood there with what must of been 3 sec before i took the wrench out and smashed him in the face.  and said out load "Stupid moron, you could have got me instead look at you now"  lol)

that pretty much covers all the games i ever got freaked out by.

#32 Posted by roscone (33 posts) -
Otacon said:
"I do want to try a game that has something that after playing stays in your head."
Well one that messes with your head is Eternal Darkness.  That's more eerie than scary, but still.
#33 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Otacon said:
"I do want to try a game that has something that after playing stays in your head."

Then I urge you to play Condemned: Criminal Origins.
#34 Posted by xxNBxx (970 posts) -
roscone said:
"Otacon said:
Well one that messes with your head is Eternal Darkness.  That's more eerie than scary, but still."
I can't believe i forgot about Eternal Darkness,  Walking around that house was eerie as all hell.
#35 Edited by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Sure it has, I just played System Shock 2 and I feel rather squeamish after ending my six hour session.

I generally don't like games that try to scare you but the fact that it does means its achieved its goal.

I found parts of Half Life 2 to be scary...Episode Two wasnt really scary, and thats probably the reason why I enjoyed episode two more. I HATE RAVENHOLM!!!!

The original half life wasn't really scary, but parts of it, especially the beginning, made you a little queasy. You want to know what the fuck is going on and stuff, and aliens are popping out everywhere, and you feel totally alone...

Episode Two had a lot of people fighting beside you, and that helps mitigate the fear you might get from zombies or even antlions.

#36 Posted by Demodocus (237 posts) -

For me it was DOOM 3. For some reason I loved getting scared playing that game. CANT WAIT TIL DOOM 4!

#37 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

A few games have scared me.  Bioshock, FEAR, Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm mission), and Condemned: Criminal Origins.

#38 Posted by PharoahCapcom (480 posts) -

Bioshock

The Darkness
Silent Hill 1 and 3
Metal Gear Solid..I wasn't look when Psycho Mantis appeared.
#39 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Bioshock scared me at one moment. I was going into a room to pick up an item and when I pushed back on the analog stick nothing was happening. I thought the game froze, but then realized that I could turn left/right. So I turned around and their was a splicer right in my face...freaked me out.

#40 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

not had too many occasions but thats because i can't handle scary games. movies yes but games... I basically would be stuck at the beginning of the game because i refuse to go forwards because i know there's something around the corner...

#41 Posted by PharoahCapcom (480 posts) -

Oh yea RE 1-3.

#42 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I shat my pants when playing Alien vs Predator

#43 Posted by GDub (104 posts) -

bioshock was crazy scary

#44 Edited by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Resident Evil 2... Playing Claire's story, Mr. X scared me when he burst through a friggen wall... I guess you could count Resident Evil 3, Nemesis always following after Jill would always get me anxious. "S.T.A.R.S!"

I'm pretty sure the REmake of Resident Evil freaked me out at one point too... Oh yeah, the first time I realized some of the zombies could reawaken, that was scary stuff... That game is so fantastic, a lot scarier than the first one.

#45 Posted by Vitefish (439 posts) -

For me it was playing re4. But only in the darker levels. Or the chainsaw people. Or the bosses. But that's it!

#46 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Resident Evil 4.  There were a couple of areas that made me jump.

#47 Posted by Vitefish (439 posts) -

Hey! You stole my idea!

#48 Posted by Vash_The_Stampede (254 posts) -

Silent Hill...although it has been long since I played it

#49 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

FEAR, when the damn girl came crawling at you in the vents. *Cries*

Other than that not really and I've played Resident evils, Bioshock, Condemneds, Silent Hills, Dooms.

#50 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Condemned: Criminal Origins, definitely. The section with the mannequins made me jump so badly that I turned it off and didn't play it again for a day or two. Only other time that's happened was when I was playing Eternal Darkness and I got caught by that scene of Alex in the blood bath.

Other than that, it's only ever been average jump scares like when something leaps out at you or something. Condmened 2 did that so often that by the end of he game, I was so desensitized.