Has anyone beaten Catcher Chocobo in FFX?

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I've read all of the guides online and watched many youtube videos but I can't at all beat Catcher Chocobo with 0.0 seconds in FFX. I hate to give up on it because I want the trophy (I'm playing the HD remake version) but I've been trying for 2 hours every single day for the past month! My closest time is 1.7 seconds. This is the worst mini game ever created.

Has anyone just given up on it? I want Tidus' celestial weapon and the trophy so bad but I can't do it! It seems my controllers are faulty. In one of them, the left button doesn't really make the chocobo go left, and in my other one, the right button doesn't really make the chocobo go right. I think my controllers are stopping me from doing it. So frustrating.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

In the end, it's luck. Luck that balloons will spawn on your side and birds will leave you alone for the most part. Best advice I can give is to leave the other rider alone. Trying to take their balloons will often lead to them overtaking you and you cursing a lot so just stay on your side and hope for the best.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played through FFX about six months ago and I did it. I had to dedicate like, an afternoon to it, but I did it. Unfortunately, I don't really know if I have any tips or anything. I remember it feeling very luck based so your best bet is persistence, I guess.

Oh also, I played the original on ps2, so maybe there is something up with your controls (though, I recall the controls being really unresponsive there, too). Are you playing on a vita? Maybe that's doing weird stuff?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I did it when the game came out on PS2, but it took hours of attempts. It is mostly a test of patience.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mwng

Not that it's helpful, but I managed it recently. Took me maybe an hour or so, I agree with the above sentiments, seems kinda luck based (doesn't help that the controls are wonky either).

I doubt you're doing anything wrong, just sometimes the stars align and the birds decide not to grief you/the balloons all line up.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlue

The controls are supposed to be unresponsive, as if you can't control the Chocobo. Yeah, it sucks and it comes down to luck. Make sure you get at least 4 balloons on the first ramp and remember that the birds alternate going after you and the other guy. Keep at it, it's not impossible and you'll probably get it when you don't even realize it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it on ps2 years ago. I have the HD version waiting for me and I didn't remember having too difficult of a time with it.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did it on PS2, yeah. Took me a while, but got it. It's nothing like dodging 200 lightning strikes.. ugh.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

I did it many years ago on the PS2. I don't remember any specifics about it, so I can't give any tips, but I do remember it being drastically easier than dodging lightining for Lulu's weapon. Doing that almost gave me a stroke at how much it made my heart race.

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even want to think about dodging the lightning! The HD version for PS3 has some weird, delayed controls so it's nearly impossible unless you do the trick a couple of people on youtube have found. I tried it once but gave up quickly.

I just can't believe that all these people have spent only a few hours on Catcher Chocobo, and here I am, spending around 30 hours on it! It is a lot of luck...I am very good at controlling the stupid chocobo and avoiding the birds. I've found the perfect route to take. But sometimes the balloons aren't placed correctly or that one set of birds is totally unavoidable. It's driving me crazy! I come close every time I try it but can never quite beat it.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I hate to be that guy, but on the HD version I think it only took me like... 30 minutes? Mind you, I've done it for way longer in past files of the game. It's largely luck, but is totally doable.

And yeah, there's a trick you can use for the lightning bolts that makes it a joke. A long, time consuming, joke. I personally had way more trouble beating the dark aeons and Penance than I did those 2 mini-games.

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl said:

Yeah, I hate to be that guy, but on the HD version I think it only took me like... 30 minutes? Mind you, I've done it for way longer in past files of the game. It's largely luck, but is totally doable.

And yeah, there's a trick you can use for the lightning bolts that makes it a joke. A long, time consuming, joke. I personally had way more trouble beating the dark aeons and Penance than I did those 2 mini-games.

I swear my controllers are messed up. I have half a mind to go out and buy a new controller. Too many people like you are able to beat it, and I am good at it. I know the controls are supposed to be hard and wonky but my stupid controllers just aren't cutting it. And yeah, I don't see myself beating those two other challenges you mentioned anytime soon, lol.

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I DID IT!! Thanks for chatting with me about it! Oh, it was glorious. 14 balloons and 1 bird at 37 seconds. I had been trying for about 50 minutes this time and I finally did it. Too bad it's only a bronze trophy! But still, I can get Tidus' weapon now so all is well.

AP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AP3

Back on the PS2 I did it in my first attempt. I don't know how, but I did. I went back on another playthrough and it took me hours. I thought the celestial weapons were fine - but between the chocobo race, dodging lightning for two hours, and the blitzball required, the process for getting them was...tedious, to say the least.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sjaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I played the HD version I did it in 2 hours or so. I remember ending one run with a time of 00.00.3 or something and that was really frustrating. In the end it was part luck, staying in front of the other rider, getting the few first balloons and much more luck. When getting 13 balloons youre pretty much in for a good run.

Defeating Penance is in any way much easier then completing that stupid chocobo challenge and dodging 200 bolts in a row. That last thing is the only trophy im missing, even with the HD version trick its prettty hard to do.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Years and years ago. Those balloons were hell, I don't know if I could do it today.

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat Catcher Chocobo 3 months ago, but like everyone else here has said it's luck. I made a topic than and @rorie gave some very good advice. Just try like a couple times a day. That way you don't get so frustrated with the game. It took me like a week or week and a half of doing that and I finally did it.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lindsaypez: Congrats! I did back on the PS2 years back. Never could do the lightning challenge which if memory serves is for Lulu's ultimate weapon? Have you done that yet?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I did it the first time I 100% the game. Every time I play through again (about once every 2 years) I SAY that I'm going to 100% again.... But seriously. Fuck that race.

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha, I hear you @tobbrobb!! It's the worst mini game put into a video game, I swear. I feel nothing but anger when I think about it, even though I beat it.

@hippie_genocide: Yes, Lulu's weapon is given for the lightning challenge. I have not done it yet. There are videos on youtube about a way that makes it easy to achieve, just time consuming. I'm not sure I have the motivation to even try. I tried it for like 5 minutes a few weeks ago before reading about the trick. There's a long delay between my controller and my TV which makes it worse. I hit the button and it doesn't register until after the stupid lightning comes so I never dodge it. So annoying.

My other problem is completing the sphere grid...I just don't see it happening. I'm not even close to it. I don't think I'll ever 100% this game. :/ I want to so bad.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sinusoidal

Oh lawrd, I shit you not this thread gave me vivid flashbacks of moments of sheer, pop-a-vein rage. I'm not sure I can replay FFX now if it means I'll end up playing that awful, awful minigame again.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the Chocobo Catcher frustrating but not really all that time consuming, probably only spent like 3 hours on it.

For the lightning dodging just use the tricks posted online, it still takes a while but even with input lag you will eventually be able to do it no problem. I can't imagine doing it the standard non-exploited way, that challenge is just utter bullshit. My method of counting was done by figuring out how long it took to dodge 10 then just multiplying that by 20. I did 198 and thought I had done at least 200. I didn't touch the game for a week.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TobbRobb

@lindsaypez: I think I could maaaaybe stomach the chocobo race, but everything falls apart when I have to play more than one blitzball game for Wakka. How about I just beat the story, get Tidus/Auron/Lulu and Yuna's weapons, ignore the rest in Omega, and never ever play blitzball again.

LindsayPez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

@lindsaypez: I think I could maaaaybe stomach the chocobo race, but everything falls apart when I have to play more than one blitzball game for Wakka. How about I just beat the story, get Tidus/Auron/Lulu and Yuna's weapons, ignore the rest in Omega, and never ever play blitzball again.

I'm really good at Blitzball now...I win every time but it's so repetitive. It's so boring. The same things happen every game. I probably don't have the motivation to play all the Blitzball games to get the weapon!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did it on the ps2 version twice. Both times involved many hours of running the race straight, and being about ready to throw the controller through a window. Eventually you get it though, and you try your best to forget the rage and continue with the game. Blitzball and the lightning dodging without any internet tricks was similarly annoying.