I'm wondering has anyone ever bought a normal edition of a game when it first came out then sometime later when they announce a new edition of a game like Game of The Year edition, that comes with all the game's DLC, buy that copy? If yes, which game was it?
I bought Fallout: New Vegas when it came out. Then all the stories came out about how broken it was with it locking up a lot and corrupting saves. So I decided I wasn't going to play it until the majority of the issues were fixed, but I ended up forgetting about it until the Ultimate Editions came out. The base game that was mostly patched up and all the DLCs for $40 was just too good an offer to pass up.
So yeah, I have two copies of New Vegas sitting side by side.
I have three copies of Metal Gear Solid 3. One that came with the MGS Essential Collection, a second copy of Subsistence that includes the bonus disc that the Essential Collection omitted, and the HD rerelease for PS3. I'm not even the biggest fan. I only played it once.
Yes, quite a few times, and not necessarily because of a new edition being released. I've bought all of Bethesda's TES and Fallout games twice (once on 360, once on Steam; I bought Morrowind twice on PC, once on disc and then again on Steam after my disc had become so scratched that my computer was refusing to read it...a similar thing occurred with my copy Age of Empires III). I bought GTAIV twice (again, PC and 360) and if Rockstar ever gets around to porting Red Dead and GTAV to PC I'll gladly buy them again there. I also somehow bought Jedi Academy three times for PC; first time I traded a friend for a copy of Battlefront, then re-bought it on disc three or four years later and then got it again digitally in the May the Fourth Star Wars Steam bundle. I'm probably forgetting a few others.
Generally speaking, if I enjoyed a console game a lot (it was only comparatively recently that I got into PC gaming) and Steam/Humble Bundle has a good deal for the PC version, I'll buy it again.
hmm quite a few times i think... not for game of the year dlc though, just buying another copy because i wanted another copy.
- starcraft ( lost jewelcase with cdkey bought digital version )
- morrowind (physical + digital)
- oblivion (physical + digital)
- fallout 3 (physical + digital)
- baldur's gate (physical + enhanced edition)
- final fantasy 7 ( ps1 + PC)
- dark souls (xbox360 + PC)
I'm pretty sure I've bought Grandia 4 times over the course of my life:
- When it first came out for the PSX
- Something happened to my original copy, so I had to get another one.
- The second disk couldn't be read by my ps2
- Bought it for $5.00 for my Vita.
That's a whole lotta money spent on a PSX RPG, but nostalgia and the greatest turn-based battle system in an RPG can make a dude do some crazy things. Grandia is a pretty good game, y'guys.
I also bought NIER and FFXIII-2 twice (originally had them for the 360, but I purchased them again when I made the switch to PS3).
NO but I have bought multiple copies of a game before.
I bought FEAR multiple times because one of the discs the first time I bought it had a bubble and it wouldn't install (I know, i should've just complained but I didn't care at the time).
I bought multiple copies of Painkiller when it came out because it wouldn't install. It was later found that it was just a problem with the game that they eventually patched.
I don't really regret it, both those games were great, but I do realize that it was silly to do that.
I've bought several "back ups" (games I already own) on steam and gog when they are on sale as well.
I have purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum 4 seperate times. First was the collectors edition for PS3, I traded that in. Later bought the regular PS3 version when I felt like playing it again and ended up giving it to my brother. I then bought it for Xbox for the achievements. Finally I bought the GOTY edition for PC.
I've also bought the GOTY edition of Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Batman: Arkham City, and Borderlands on the PC when I had the regular version on console, some of which I had all the DLC for already. Though I usually picked up the GOTY version during a steam sale or something.
- GTA V brother stole my ps3 and was playing it online so i got another PS3 and copy (this is also the 4th ps3 ive owned)
- Metal Gear Solid 4 3rd copy just keep wanting to play it again (stupidly got a NTSC copy this time and cant load my save) might have to buy a 4th
- Valkyria Chronicles. When it had terrible sales in it's first month but was highly acclaimed I knew it would become rare so I bought 2 copies.
- Persona 4/P4G. Self explanatory.
- Infamous. Bought it for the Uncharted 2 Beta and another copy came with my second PS3.
- Red Dead Redemption and Medal of Honor Frontline. My roommate stole a couple games from my collection. These are the ones I've replaced so far.
- Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit. Bought it in a bundle of 10 EA PC games that Staples had, then bought it again as a bundle of Need for Speed games.
- And I got a bunch of stuff that I bought on disc then received from Playstation Plus.
- GTA Vice City as well. Got it on launch day in 2002 and bought the rerelease on PSN.
I would like to note that three of these games are in my top five of all time (VC, P4 and GTA:VC) while another one is a sequel to one of these games (NFS4: High Stakes).
Too many times, honestly, and none of it is logical...
- Dead Space AND Dead Space 2 (PS3, 360, and PC)
- Dark Souls (PS3/PC)
- 3 copies of Metal Gear Solid 1 for some reason.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3/360)
- The Orange Box (PC/360)
I'm sure there are more but I can't remember.
I've only done this a few times. Fable and The Lost Chapters. Doom 3 on PC, the collector's edition on original Xbox and then the BFG Edition. Last I remember is that I actually bought the regular edition of Halo 2 after I got the Collector's Edition, that was because the manuals are different. Then I bought another sealed Collector's Edition just for the hell of it.
I asked because there is a couple of games I already own but are coming out with new editions. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Injustice are the ones I'm thinking of. Lords of Shadow came out with an Ultimate Edition that has the original game, the 2 DLC and an HD version of Mirror of Fate. I already played the game and the DLC I'm thinking of buying so I can get Mirror of Fate. & I sadly don't own a 3DS. Buying Injustice really depends on whether or not the Ultimate Edition gives me the costumes that require to play the ios version of the game and to get all the other DLC costumes and characters.
I own two copys of Black Ops because for some reason the first copy wouldn't load one certain level. I was either half way or 3/4 way through the game. So I bought another so I can beat the game.
Owning the same game on multiple consoles or an a console and pc seems to be a lot more common than I thought.
OH I almost forgot. I own the first three Zero games on the GBA & in the Zero Collection. I couldn't find Zero 4 and I get all 4 games in one thing.
I've bought a few digital games more than once, such Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami and FEZ. On different platforms of course.
Otherwise, I've bought a second copy of San Andreas because the other one I had was used from a while ago, and the case/disc/manual were in a shape I wasn't satisfied with. Same for Gears of War 2.
There might be some others I forget.
I own Fallout 3 on PC, PS3 and 360. I recently purchased GTAV for 360, traded it in for credit, then just bought it for PS3 today to play with friends. Skyrim is owned on 360 and PC. Most of the PC games came recently as I built a new PC last year that was capable of running everything at max settings. I also have chosen to go the digital route and have many games digitally on consoles and PC's that I originally owned in disc form.
Many times. With many games.
- Mass Effect - 360 collectors and regular edition, 360 xbla and PC
- Mass Effect 2 - 360 regular, PS3 collectors, PSN version.
- Mass Effect collection which includes all three and all dlc (also already owned mass effect ps3)
- Oblivion - PC, 360, ps3, goty edition on ps3, and 10 year anniversary edition 360.
- Skyrim - ps3 collectors, 360 regular and pc. PS3 legendary edition.
- Fallout 3 - PC, 360, PS3. PS3 goty edition
- The Witcher - collectors and digital deluxe edition
- The Withcer 2 - PC and 360 collectors
- Dragons Dogma - regular and dark edition
- The Walking Dead - 360, ps3 and vita versions
- Demon's Souls - Collectors, deluxe, all three regions of regular edition, black phantom edition, greatest hits
- Dark souls - collectors, regular, pc and prepare to die edition ps3
- Dragon Age - PC collectors, ps3 collectors, ps3 regular, ps3 ultimate edition, 360 ultimate edition.
I've bought Bastion like 4 times. Even though I owned Dragon Age: Origins I bought the GOTY edition when I wanted to replay Awakening, because it was cheaper. There are several Final Fantasy's that I own on multiple platforms. I have a couple of HD collections where I own one of the games on ps2. I have Persona 3 FES, and p3p. When I wanted to replay HGSS I bought a new copy of Heart Gold rather than delete my Soul Silver save.
Enough people owned two copies of Super Mario Bros. 3 when I was little for some reason that I thought that was the norm.
And beyond that...I dunno, I have some duplicates of games I own elsewhere on Steam because of bundle deals. I may buy Spelunky again for the daily challenges. I've repurchased games too. And I've owned almost every version of Resident Evil 4 for some reason. (Answer: because I'm an idiot)
I already had Darksiders, Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed on Xbox 360 (purchased for about $10 each), but once I upgraded to a damn fine gaming laptop, I rebought all three of those games on PC for even less. I'd much rather play a game on my laptop than its console cousin.
Oh yeah. I've partaken of this ritual quite a few times. Though my craziest was buying the first Borderlands three times, one for each system (PC, 360, PS3) so that I could play with all my different subset of friends at the time. In retrospect, mistakes were most certainly made. Really didn't need to get it on PS3. But wasting money is my favorite pastime, so what the hell right!?
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Xbox and Gamecube)
- L.A. Noire (PS3 and X360)
- Super Street Fighter IV (PS3 and X360)
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (Gamecube and Xbox)
- Devil May Cry 3 (original and Special Edition)
Those are just physical copies, way more with digital copies and HD collections.
Pretty sure I bought 3 copies of Oblivion since first I got the PS3 version, then PC, and then PC GOTY. Fuck, now that I'm thinking about it I'm probably going to buy it again on Steam. I loved Oblivion and don't own it digitally (Also can't find those disks to save my life).
I've bought Dark Souls for almost everyone I know.. and when they finish it they give me my copy back so I can pass it on to someone else.. I have about 13 copies of dark souls right now.
Spread the word, man. This Dark Souls resurgence is great.
Well, I've bought Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 on multiple consoles, I have re-bought a bunch of games I idiotically traded in when I was younger, and in several instances I've gotten games on PC either in bundles or super cheap on Steam that I already had on consoles.