Has anyone thought of this on GB before?

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RoxasXIII

So I was thinking that it would be cool for the staff (Jeff, Ryan, Brad, or Vinny) to do things like gameplay marathons like Gamespot does. I love the quick looks and all, but I think people would find it interesting to see even more of the game in some cases. I think it would be more fun for the users than helpful, but I think it could be an enjoyable feature to Giant Bomb. Of course, they wouldn't need to be live marathons like Gamespot's, but I think just a recorded video would be fine because live feeds are total bandwidth eaters.

Well anyway, I just wanted to see what other people thought of this idea. I have absolutely no authority to make it happen, but maybe a staff member would stumble upon the thread and consider it. Who knows?

P.S. Sorry if this has been brought up before... I just thought of this and wanted to type it up right away before checking for similar threads.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Have you seen the Endurance Run feature?

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoxasXIII

Yeah, of course, I just mean like 2 hours or so on one game in one sitting. There wouldn't need to be one a week or whatever, but whenever there is a game that has some promise or people are interested in it they could do one decently long marathon. I know what you mean by the endurance run, but thats a bit different from what I mean. Not a series exactly, if you know what I mean?

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NukeGoBoom

1UP does something simmiliar "game night" i think its called.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tylea002
RoxasXIII said:
"Yeah, of course, I just mean like 2 hours or so on one game in one sitting. There wouldn't need to be one a week or whatever, but whenever there is a game that has some promise or people are interested in it they could do one decently long marathon. I know what you mean by the endurance run, but thats a bit different from what I mean. Not a series exactly, if you know what I mean?"
Technically thats what the endurance runs are (you actually thought they just played 20 minutes every day?) but cut up into easy chunks. I prefer, personally, 20/30 minutes a day rather than marathons. Bitesize and constantly coming.
RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RoxasXIII

No I knew they didn't play it everyday, I listened to the podcast last week and I think thats where they said that. But I dunno, sometimes I like to just see the first 2 or 3 hours of a game just because most of the time I don't end up playing them. Now if it was a game that I wanted to play for instance, than I probably wouldn't watch it, unless I wasn't sure about how good the game actually is. But I think we can all agree that a endurance run for all games would be good, I think its fine for Persona 4 among others. But I wouldn't mind something more every once and a while.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Optiow
MB said:
"Have you seen the Endurance Run feature?"
I have not
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Drebin_893

Yeah, I really agree with what you've said. Great idea.

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RoxasXIII

@Optiow: You should definitely check it out, it's great.

@Drebin_893: Thanks a lot dude! I was hoping someone would think it was good. It may not be totally original, but hey, it would be nice to have.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

So instead of a short video like the Quick Looks, or the Endurance Runs which are recorded in longer sessions and split up, you want a longer video recorded over a longer period of time? Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. :)

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
LordAndrew said:
"So instead of a short video like the Quick Looks, or the Endurance Runs which are recorded in longer sessions and split up, you want a longer video recorded over a longer period of time? Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. :)"

All that I don't understand is how people are having such a hard time understanding what he's saying! :O He'd like one-two hour gaming marathons, each marathon for a different game, each game decided sometime in advance. Like closed-Bombing Runs for the staff, that are recorded.

It would be neat to see them try it, and if it works out they can keep it up; if not, then don't continue it. It wouldn't have to be on a weekly basis, but whenever the staff likes a game enough, they could show it off. I think it's worth a shot.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Drebin_893

Same, he put forward a great proposition, and presented it in a clear concise manner, but people don't get it.

And they did do two for GTA IV and MGS4 on the blog as CitizenKane said.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
CitizenKane said:
"While they weren't long marathons, they did do a small playthrough in Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 via Justin.tv back in the Blog days."
I really wish that they would do more of these. I missed both of them.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny
CitizenKane said:
"While they weren't long marathons, they did do a small playthrough in Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 via Justin.tv back in the Blog days."
I missed them! Shit!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"CitizenKane said:
I really wish that they would do more of these. I missed both of them."
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"CitizenKane said:
I missed them! Shit!"
GTA IV 107 Minutes of Madness

Anyone know when the Metal Gear Solid 4 playthrough happened? I could create a clip if I knew the date and time.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Mushir

Personally I don't like to be shown 2 hours of a game I might be buying.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By twenty0ne

That would be pretty fun.

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoxasXIII

Hey, thanks guys! I'm glad people like the idea! I don't know, I just think it would be interesting especially because we all know how great the staff are at commenting and playing games so that it's interesting. I don't know about you guys but its boring as hell to watch those demo videos on Gamespot that show you the game without any commentary, and also, you have no idea how the game is being played! 

But yeah, I think it would be fun to see and would help some people decide if they want the game or not, more than a quick look could help in some cases. And if you don't want it spoiled for you, then don't watch it! I've done that before when Gamespot put out the marathon for the Prince of Persia game that recently came out. But for some people they like to see the game for more than 20 minutes. If you go through some of the comments on the P4 Endurance Run, you will see some people who actually want to buy the game despite seeing 6 hours of the game.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Steve_C

It could be neat. I rememeber watching the super paper mario marathon on gs back in the day. That was pretty fun.

However, having quick looks, 'extended looks', and marathon runs might get too much for such a small team, considering the other stuff they have to do too.