#1 Posted by BisonHero (6156 posts) -

I can't think of one.

Is there any likelihood they will cover some of the recent ones, like Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, or Endless Space? I feel like that would fall squarely on Dave's shoulders, though Vinny could probably manage it. And hey, Jeff seems to have the capacity to randomly obsess over nearly any game if it just randomly grabs his attention, though I can't think of the last time he's gotten deep into any kind of 4X strategy game.

#2 Posted by hacksword (41 posts) -

The Total War series is arguably a 4X game, and they Quick looked Shogun II.

#3 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

Did they not do Sins of a Solar empire? Weird. Hopefully they'll do one on the new expansion, I love the original.

#4 Posted by EchoEcho (815 posts) -

Vinny showed interest in Endless Space when he brought it up during the Dwarf Fortress stream. Would be pretty cool if one of the PC Trio would do the new Sins, too. Haven't had the money to pick it up yet, and I'm curious to see some of what's changed.

#5 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

What do you mean by a 4X game?

#6 Posted by Bubbly (251 posts) -
Online
#7 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -
#8 Posted by BisonHero (6156 posts) -

@hacksword said:

The Total War series is arguably a 4X game, and they Quick looked Shogun II.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. And welcome to the forums!

#9 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -
#10 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
#11 Posted by BisonHero (6156 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

@Ares42 said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-anno-2070/17-5381/

Does this count ?

Yeah now that I think about it. Never thought about it that way but it does tick all the right boxes. Though I suppose you can argue that every strategy game is a 4X game.

Well, one of the Xs is "exterminate", and I don't think the Anno games have combat, do they? However, yes, it has the other 3 Xs, but without the exterminate component, it's closer to a construction and management sim like Tropico or Rollercoaster Tycoon.

#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@BisonHero: All of the Anno games have combat in them, land and naval though it's not very complex it's totally viable (but expensive) tactic of winning. I dunno what the exact definition of 4X game is but generally speaking it's always a turn-based empire management game, in my head anyway. See Master of Magic and Alpha Centauri as my personal examples.

#13 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

Vinny showed interest in Endless Space when he brought it up during the Dwarf Fortress stream. Would be pretty cool if one of the PC Trio would do the new Sins, too. Haven't had the money to pick it up yet, and I'm curious to see some of what's changed.

Given that there are so few releases out, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a QL. Random Steam games make great content (see Rollercoaster Rampage) when there aren't big releases.

#14 Posted by Zelnox (383 posts) -
#15 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@eroticfishcake said:

@Ares42 said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-anno-2070/17-5381/

Does this count ?

Yeah now that I think about it. Never thought about it that way but it does tick all the right boxes. Though I suppose you can argue that every strategy game is a 4X game.

Well, one of the Xs is "exterminate", and I don't think the Anno games have combat, do they? However, yes, it has the other 3 Xs, but without the exterminate component, it's closer to a construction and management sim like Tropico or Rollercoaster Tycoon.

You uh... bust boxes!

#16 Edited by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

@BisonHero: They do have combat, but it's probably the least developed system in the games. It does matter though, but usually not before quite deep into the campaings afaik.

#17 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

Vinny showed interest in Endless Space when he brought it up during the Dwarf Fortress stream. Would be pretty cool if one of the PC Trio would do the new Sins, too. Haven't had the money to pick it up yet, and I'm curious to see some of what's changed.

Quite a bit has changed. Added 3 new factions, Titan ships, fuck tons of research and just a better time all around. My favorite new thing though is the faction that doesn't keep planets, just blows them up and moves on, collecting all the resources in one solid lump.

#18 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Rebellion is awesome.

#19 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

I believe it's considered 4X, though I'm not 100% sure, they did a video on the space sim Evochron Mercenary.

#20 Posted by Fistoh (119 posts) -
@Zelnox: I wouldn't consider CK2 as a 4X game.
#21 Posted by BisonHero (6156 posts) -

@Fistoh said:

@Zelnox: I wouldn't consider CK2 as a 4X game.

Yeah, it's almost there, but it lacks an "explore" aspect. You can already see pretty much all areas that you can possibly conquer.

#22 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@Butano said:

I believe it's considered 4X, though I'm not 100% sure, they did a video on the space sim Evochron Mercenary.

4X games are a subgenre of strategy games, often but not necessarily turn based. Evochron Mercenary is more of an open world space trading game á la Elite/Frontier.

#23 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@Butano said:

I believe it's considered 4X, though I'm not 100% sure, they did a video on the space sim Evochron Mercenary.

4X games are a subgenre of strategy games, often but not necessarily turn based. Evochron Mercenary is more of an open world space trading game á la Elite/Frontier.

Yea, that's kinda what I figured, though I only suggested Evochron because the X series is considered 4X when it just seems to be an open world space sim.

#24 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -

@Masin said:

@EchoEcho said:

Vinny showed interest in Endless Space when he brought it up during the Dwarf Fortress stream. Would be pretty cool if one of the PC Trio would do the new Sins, too. Haven't had the money to pick it up yet, and I'm curious to see some of what's changed.

Quite a bit has changed. Added 3 new factions, Titan ships, fuck tons of research and just a better time all around. My favorite new thing though is the faction that doesn't keep planets, just blows them up and moves on, collecting all the resources in one solid lump.

IM BUYING THIS GAME NOW!

#25 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@Butano said:

@fisk0 said:

@Butano said:

I believe it's considered 4X, though I'm not 100% sure, they did a video on the space sim Evochron Mercenary.

4X games are a subgenre of strategy games, often but not necessarily turn based. Evochron Mercenary is more of an open world space trading game á la Elite/Frontier.

Yea, that's kinda what I figured, though I only suggested Evochron because the X series is considered 4X when it just seems to be an open world space sim.

Weird, I've never heard them called 4X games, though I see that someone's written that in the wiki page for it. Not sure if it's confusion because of the game's titles or if there's some larger 4X-ish strategy element later in the games (like building space stations, fleets or stuff, I've barely played the games, so I can't speak for how advanced they get, but they do tend to get compared to EVE Online, so it's possible there's a lot of depth to them)

#26 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I have to say, Endless Space looks promising, watched a few lets plays of it and man the UI is Civ 5 inspired to say the least.