#1 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

(I totally should have put have instead of has, fuck)

HD Collections are great, there easy on the wallet, generally good games and they are in HD. But is it just me or do we hardly ever get remakes any more?

Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, is what I would call the dictionary definition of a remake. They added some mechanics featured in MGS2 and changed a few of the cutscenes but overall it was faithful to the original game. They even re did every line of dialogue for no real reason other than why the hell not. Then there was the remake of Pokemon Silver and Gold, which again stuck very close to the original game but updated the style to fir the later games as well as online and a few other gameplay mechanics.

So yes what happened to Remakes?

#2 Posted by VierasTalo (675 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Nothing. They were never common. I'm sure we'll still see the odd one every once in a while, just like the old times, despite the temptation of the HD release. If someone wants to do a remake, they'll do a remake. Before HD Collections there was no alternative to doing remakes so marginal stuff never showed up after the original release aside from Platinum etc. releases.

#3 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

I'd imagine it has to do with cost efficiency. It's cheaper to update graphics than to completely remake a game.

#4 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I actually preferred the original PSX MGS to the Twin Snakes remake.

That being said, I missed out on the God of War series last console generation. I was in college, and wasn't playing a whole lot of games. I picked up the God of War collection and was super satisfied. Twenty dollars for GoW I & II was a great deal.

Not playing the PS2 originals, I always wondered if they had been changed at all for the PS3 re-release?

#5 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

i think games from the ps1/n64 era and before make sense for remakes. HD remasters are all from the most recent gen, which i find to be not nearly as dated and not as needing of a full-blown remaking. but yeah, i'm all for remakes.

#6 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

@Hizang: I don't think they have destroyed it, but it's that time of the "generation" for remakes to happen, imho. As much as I think games just need to rest in the past, there are a few gems that really deserve a remake (most never get one). I just wish Thief 4 would ****ing release before me and my wife pop from anticipation.

#7 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

REMAKE FF7 lolol

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

There is a significant difference between remake and hd collection. I look at it like what they do with movies. People want there classic films on a new format so they convert them to blu ray. Hd collections are simple conversions for people to have on new consoles.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@MiamiRedHawks said:

I actually preferred the original PSX MGS to the Twin Snakes remake.

That being said, I missed out on the God of War series last console generation. I was in college, and wasn't playing a whole lot of games. I picked up the God of War collection and was super satisfied. Twenty dollars for GoW I & II was a great deal.

Not playing the PS2 originals, I always wondered if they had been changed at all for the PS3 re-release?

Oh its not question, the PS1 version is my favourite because some of the voice actors such as Naomi and Meling changed there accents for this version. Naomi should always have the British accent!

#10 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

I think the Halo Anniversary Edition would qualify as a remake. I mean, they gave you the option of playing it in its original form, as well as with the newer engine.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Butano: Yes that is indeed a good remake, giving both options was a nice thing.

#12 Posted by Andy_117 (169 posts) -

I think we've reached a point where the games that are a decade old and all that are solid enough on their own not to warrant a remake. People want to play an updated version of the game, sure, but we've hit critical mass; if we updated Banjo Kazooie, there'd be no point. It plays as well today as it did years ago. And so, re-releasing it in HD form is good enough.

I like to think of them more of HD ports than anything else. Because we don't need to make the game again, we just need to bring the game up-to-date. Fans will dig it up either way, of course, so it could just be cynical and lazy, but I like to think that it makes more sense to take the old game and bring new life to it than to take the old game and use it as a springboard for another, similar game. At that point, why not make a sequel?

#13 Posted by MEATBALL (3064 posts) -

@Hizang said:

(I totally should have put have instead of has, fuck)

HD Collections are great, there easy on the wallet, generally good games and they are in HD. But is it just me or do we hardly ever get remakes any more?

Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, is what I would call the dictionary definition of a remake. They added some mechanics featured in MGS2 and changed a few of the cutscenes but overall it was faithful to the original game. They even re did every line of dialogue for no real reason other than why the hell not. Then there was the remake of Pokemon Silver and Gold, which again stuck very close to the original game but updated the style to fir the later games as well as online and a few other gameplay mechanics.

Sort of, part of it is also that a lot of the games from last gen still look decent enough when running in HD, whereas by the time the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox came along MGS looked horrible. Also, we totally got a OoT remake last year! HD "remasters" have definitely made the ol' remake less common (and they weren't terribly common in the first place), but they still happen on occasion. Perhaps we'll see more of them as we become further removed from the first half of the '00s.

#14 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I think anything from the Playstation/N64 era is probably too new to be remade. I know there are money-grabs like the Halo Anniversary edition, but most other games will suffice with just an HD facelift. A lot of gamers in the market today have played those PS1/N64 games and so there are fewer motivations outside of nostalgia. Now for games made before then, I think the pool of potential customers increases. The NES is nearly 30 years old and teen gamers today might have completely missed all those old games. A full production remake of some of those older titles might be cool. Of course, the purists will bitch but they're old and change makes them anxious. ;-p

#15 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

Weird choice with Twin Snakes. I'd say Resident Evil on the GameCube is the all-time prime example for remakes. Simply because it simply made the game better in every regard while changing things around.

I, too, miss actual remakes a lot, though. But they all have their place. HD Collections or visually upgraded ports (think Super Mario All-Stars or the GameBoy Color version of Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time 3D that improved graphics and interface equally) help preserving the original game for later generations.

In addition to that, I also happen to agree with @Andy_117 about not a lot of games actually warranting a full-on remake. It is probably mostly the case where people would love some of the early 3D games to be remade to be appealing again since they're often very hard to get back into.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

I think anything from the Playstation/N64 era is probably too new to be remade. I know there are money-grabs like the Halo Anniversary edition, but most other games will suffice with just an HD facelift. A lot of gamers in the market today have played those PS1/N64 games and so there are fewer motivations outside of nostalgia. Now for games made before then, I think the pool of potential customers increases. The NES is nearly 30 years old and teen gamers today might have completely missed all those old games. A full production remake of some of those older titles might be cool. Of course, the purists will bitch but they're old and change makes them anxious. ;-p

I'd disagree with that, simply because there are a lot of PS1/N64 era games that, if revisited, would really benefit from revised/remade gameplay. Hell, that's pretty much what they did for The Twin Snakes in updating the game with mechanics from Metal Gear Solid 2.

And anyway, these HD Collections are hit or miss. For every collection that gets it right, there are others that end up with problems. Knowing the issues with the HD Collection version of Silent Hill 2, does anyone want to play that over the PS2 or Xbox version? And it's my understanding that the HD Collection version of MGS3 actually had that crazy Guy Savage sequence removed.

#17 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

it's not like we even need remakes, do we? i figured the purpose of remakes was for developers to remake their games on modern technology so they could take advantage of modern hardware in order to create the game that they really wanted. wasn't that the case with Resident Evil and the REmake? their true vision for survival horror was limited by the hardware on the PS1, and it prevented them from creating the experience that they truly wanted.

..or maybe i'm thinking of some other game. regardless, in the case of games from last generation, there's really no point to waste resources in recreating them since for the most part, all of those games still play well.

#18 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

And it's my understanding that the HD Collection version of MGS3 actually had that crazy Guy Savage sequence removed.

Wait what?

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

And it's my understanding that the HD Collection version of MGS3 actually had that crazy Guy Savage sequence removed.

Wait what?

That's what I had read somewhere. Apparently that sequence was removed from the HD Collection and 3DS versions of MGS3.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

Wait what?

That's what I had read somewhere. Apparently that sequence was removed from the HD Collection and 3DS versions of MGS3.

I don't know what sequence your talking about, do you mean the eye shooting sequence?

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (7995 posts) -

Prohibitive costs of game development have ruined the remake.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (35995 posts) -

@Hizang said:

They even re did every line of dialogue for no real reason other than why the hell not.

Actually, it was because the original dialog wasn't that good. Something about recording booths that weren't sound proof or something.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

Wait what?

I don't know what sequence your talking about, do you mean the eye shooting sequence?

No, it's the crazy-ass nightmare that Snake has at one point in which he dreams he's a vampire hunter named Guy Savage:

#24 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hizang said:

They even re did every line of dialogue for no real reason other than why the hell not.

Actually, it was because the original dialog wasn't that good. Something about recording booths that weren't sound proof or something.

I much preferred the voice acting from the original, the cast also seemed to care about what they were doing more in that one. Naomi sounded fucking bored in the remake.

@Hailinel said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

Wait what?

No, it's the crazy-ass nightmare that Snake has at one point in which he dreams he's a vampire hunter named Guy Savage:

Oh that, that was really weird, the SIGINT chat is amazing though. I'm currently playing through the 3DS version, I will try and see if its in there.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

But they're not remakes, they're remasters.

And what are you talking there are no more remakes? A reboot is a remake. Tomb Raider, X-COM were two of the biggest things just a week ago. Shattered Memories retold the orginal Harry Mason story with a twist. Do you only consider it a remake if it follows the plot exactly? In that case , what's the point of remaking it? Hell, REmake made changes in the plot.

Just seems like another stitch-and-bitch.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hizang said:

The recordings were OK for the PS1 game, but with the upgraded audio quality of the GameCube, flaws in the recordings were more evident, so they had to rerecord everything.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

But they're not remakes, they're remasters. And what are you talking there are no more remakes? A reboot is a remake. Tomb Raider, X-COM were two of the biggest things just a week ago. Shattered Memories retold the orginal Harry Mason story with a twist. Do you only consider it a remake if it follows the plot exactly? In that case , what's the point of remaking it? Hell, REmake made changes in the plot. Just seems like another stitch-and-bitch.

Tomb Raider is a different story entirely that completely retells Lara's origin and is not based on or structured around a preexisting game. The REmake is the same story as the original game with added elements.

#28 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I don't think they're dead and I think we'll see a handful of PS1 and N64 remakes in the next five or ten years. Apparently, simply bringing PS1 games into HD is not enough, as made evident by the Metal Gear and Silent Hill stuff. The same justification may be made for some N64 games. (Though there are certainly less games people care about for the N64 that aren't first-party, and I have a feeling those remakes will continue to hit portables primarily.)

#29 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Brodehouse said:

But they're not remakes, they're remasters. And what are you talking there are no more remakes? A reboot is a remake. Tomb Raider, X-COM were two of the biggest things just a week ago. Shattered Memories retold the orginal Harry Mason story with a twist. Do you only consider it a remake if it follows the plot exactly? In that case , what's the point of remaking it? Hell, REmake made changes in the plot. Just seems like another stitch-and-bitch.

Tomb Raider is a different story entirely that completely retells Lara's origin and is not based on or structured around a preexisting game. The REmake is the same story as the original game with added elements.

I agree, the new Tomb Raider is a reboot not a remake.

Not to derail this whole thing but I just found out there was an official Twin Snakes Trailer thats 30 minutes long, what the fuck?

#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

I think you should only remake a game when it's so dated that it'd be better to change it to be more modern than just up the resolution. for games like god of war a remake wasn't really necessary because they look and play amazingly to this day.

#31 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

Well I was hoping for a Splinter Cell Trilogy remake a long long long time ago, that was ruined by the HD Remake craze imo, was probably never going to happen anyway.

#32 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I'll never stop dreaming about a FFVII remake with XIII-2's graphics.

#33 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

Does anyone with knowledge of media formats and such know when we stop calling 1920 x 1080 high definition? Surely when everyone gets new consoles and stuff it will be standard by then?

#34 Posted by believer258 (11632 posts) -

Actually, OP, I'd say that the best remakes take the original idea and do something completely different with it. Compare Metroid 1 to Metroid Zero Mission - the two have some of the same beats but are vastly different in many other respects.