Has the Giant Bomb gone of with a whimper?

GarrardS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GarrardS

People, if this sight was not produced by Jeff and Company. Would it really be that 'Amazing'?
Dont get me wrong, the first few hours were fun fiddling around with editing topics and such; HOWEVER. What does this site do thats actually new?
I dont want to cause a rucus or insight hatred, Im just genuinely asking the question; What does this site bring to the table?

Gamespot circa 2006 was a special site to be on, I love Jeff and Co's work.
However, after playing with Giant Bomb for a few hours...I just get that MEH feeling.

It feels like the site is trying to do too much (wikki, forums, blogs, user generated content, profiles) and not doing any of it particuarly well.
Its early days, and I will stick with it. (the deserve the support out of principal).

I guess this is just me throwing out some constructive critisism. Feel free to flame away!

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tec3297

Well, I like the amount of content.  I think that it gives the user a good amount of options to "fiddle" around with.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By and333

I think it would have been popular because comic vine, basically the comic version of giant bomb, is pretty huge with comic book fans. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism either and I won't flame you cause you expressed your opinion in a civilized way which is weird on the internet. Me I love giant bomb and will be here for a long while!

Svenddv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Svenddv

You either love it, or you dont wich is okay I guess.

For me its like wikipedia with games and what GS used to be ; fun and entertaining

GagJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GagJ

Yes it would be, it seems like a Wikipedia of games, eyt with an easier editing interface. Remember this is a beta not the final roduct, and once again why was Gamespot circa '96 so good? SImply put, Jeff and co's editorial content, which will be coming.

Thsi site brings a different mentality to the table, by simplifying their reviewiing structure they stay away from the 100 point score structure, also the have a great amount of user editing thus making it better for other users, gone are useless facts, they are now replaced by more fun and quirky ones because people aren't going to input percentages.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By banksrob
no one should flame you, its your opinion and you said it in a proper way XD
personally i think its awesome and some things it doesn't do well will be improved on.

Rain_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Rain_Dog

I love the editors, but this site really is pretty awesome. It's like Facebook meets MobyGames. The community is really active (so far), so Giant Bomb has potential to have more game info than any other site, thanks to user submitted wiki's.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By banksrob

Plus, blogs from the GB team podcasts ect = awesome

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Met2609

I don't think it necessarily does anything new, but it brings so many things together. It really is a one stop shop for video game content. It's both Wikipedia and NeoGaf, with the "best of breed editorial product" thrown in, of course.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum

Not every video game website has a wiki for a good select of video games, and its right in front of you when you bring up the gamepage. All able to be edited, too. Something new and fresh.

GarrardS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GarrardS

I guess I have to get in the mindset that 'YES THIS IS A BETA'...

I just feels like the site has been coming for a while now, and that when it launched I was fully expecting it to be 'fully featured'.

I take onboard your points. I do hope that they introduce some form of news aggregator though. It feels very odd coming to a gaming site and not reading the latest news.

MrBrightside91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrBrightside91

Nothing new in content. But something new in idea. Bringing together all games, all characters, everything in gaming  AND It's fans into a huge community built through editing and expanding. It'll never "end" per se, making it a Wikipedia that you can really feel part of and valued in due to the community side of things imo.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By DARKIDO07

This site is amazing, its Wikipedia + Unbiased and trust worthy game reviews + Fourms. Its pretty much G4 for the internet back when G4 was actually about gaming.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By timeshero
GarrardS said:
"

I guess I have to get in the mindset that 'YES THIS IS A BETA'...

I just feels like the site has been coming for a while now, and that when it launched I was fully expecting it to be 'fully featured'.

I take onboard your points. I do hope that they introduce some form of news aggregator though. It feels very odd coming to a gaming site and not reading the latest news.

"
I'm quite sure, when all is said and done, it will one of the greatest successes on the internet, for ALL aspects of gaming.  I mean, they do have a couple "Electronic Three" videos up, and what is more full of gaming news than E3?  And besides, I am quite sure Jeff and everyone else will update their blogs with regards to the latest happenings in the gaming world.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FengShuiGod

So far the site is more than I can handle. There is SO much to do, and this is just the beta. I am more than content with Giant Bomb.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MichaelScott

I like it a lot. Quite a bit too do. All the editing stuff is fun, if not addicting. But yeah, Jeff and co really do make the site special.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brad

Guys and gals, keep in mind that once we're running at full tilt, the four of us will be updating the GB blog page throughout the day with all kinds of content (some serious, some wacky). We're here to provide the site's editorial voice, whatever that ends up sounding like. For now, we're working around the clock on the thousands of wiki submissions y'all have been cranking out. Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. I'm also working on a preview of American McGee's Grimm and a review of Final Fantasy IV DS at the moment, for instance. Keep the faith!

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By banksrob
Brad said:
"Guys and gals, keep in mind that once we're running at full tilt, the four of us will be updating the GB blog page throughout the day with all kinds of content (some serious, some wacky). We're here to provide the site's editorial voice, whatever that ends up sounding like. For now, we're working around the clock on the thousands of wiki submissions y'all have been cranking out. Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. I'm also working on a preview of American McGee's Grimm and a review of Final Fantasy IV DS at the moment, for instance. Keep the faith!
"
cheers dude :)
TehBonerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TehBonerer

my only complaint is that everything takes forever to do, maybe its just the flash and all, or maybe my firefox 3.0 hates me, either way, hopefully the speeds raise eventually

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FengShuiGod said:
"So far the site is more than I can handle. There is SO much to do, and this is just the beta. I am more than content with Giant Bomb."
Dude, I know what you mean. Every time i think I've made enough submissions, I discover something missing that needs to be added to the site. Sadly, the flood of submissions these first few days will take a loooooong time to approve/reject, so we've all gotta play the waiting game.
oWarlock360o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oWarlock360o
GarrardS said:
"People, if this sight was not produced by Jeff and Company. Would it really be that 'Amazing'?
Dont get me wrong, the first few hours were fun fiddling around with editing topics and such; HOWEVER. What does this site do thats actually new?
I dont want to cause a rucus or insight hatred, Im just genuinely asking the question; What does this site bring to the table?

Gamespot circa 2006 was a special site to be on, I love Jeff and Co's work.
However, after playing with Giant Bomb for a few hours...I just get that MEH feeling.

It feels like the site is trying to do too much (wikki, forums, blogs, user generated content, profiles) and not doing any of it particuarly well.
Its early days, and I will stick with it. (the deserve the support out of principal).

I guess this is just me throwing out some constructive critisism. Feel free to flame away!"
http://www.comicvine.com/

came out before GIant Bomb
Brandler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brandler
Brad said:
"Guys and gals, keep in mind that once we're running at full tilt, the four of us will be updating the GB blog page throughout the day with all kinds of content (some serious, some wacky). We're here to provide the site's editorial voice, whatever that ends up sounding like. For now, we're working around the clock on the thousands of wiki submissions y'all have been cranking out. Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. I'm also working on a preview of American McGee's Grimm and a review of Final Fantasy IV DS at the moment, for instance. Keep the faith!"
We appreciate the hard work.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a great site. It is early days too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good to me, and I dont think anyone is is losing the faith. ;)

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Cube
Brad said:
"Guys and gals, keep in mind that once we're running at full tilt, the four of us will be updating the GB blog page throughout the day with all kinds of content (some serious, some wacky). We're here to provide the site's editorial voice, whatever that ends up sounding like. For now, we're working around the clock on the thousands of wiki submissions y'all have been cranking out. Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. I'm also working on a preview of American McGee's Grimm and a review of Final Fantasy IV DS at the moment, for instance. Keep the faith!
"
Thanks Brad.

Love the site. This is pretty much what I was thinking, it's not like you guys are sitting on your hands and watching the clouds!
AnTiPRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AnTiPRO

I personally believe that it's the atmosphere of the site. It seems that the guys in the upper office tower are passionate about games as well as the community that they created. That is why I am here and that is why I am staying.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fade2Gray
Brad said:
"Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. "
I must confess that this is my only disappointment with the site. I was hopping that there would have already been a solid Mod team from day one.

Considering that that is my only major issue, that says a lot about the quality of this site and my excitement for its future.
StealthPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StealthPanda

I love the site because it reminds me of what Gamespot used to be, with all the editors that made this site. I like how many options it gives you, and is just fun to use.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By roofy

no one is here for the "content" or flashy pages. most people are here because they like to see how Jeff, brad, Ryan and Vinnie view the games were looking forward to. Who doesnt love their comedy?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By RedSox8933

there will be reviews, and hopefully devolopers will take notice at the fan response to this website and send games to Giant Bomb and Jeff and Co. will be able to write previews. Once they expand that much, they will be able to put videos on the site of upcoming games. i really believe that this will become just as good as a website as ign and gamespot. it will happen guys, it is the second day after launch. just give it some time. they need to get more moderators to speed up the process of submissions.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By banksrob
Fade2Gray said:
"Brad said:
"Once we get a moderator team assembled and handling the wiki stuff, the blog content will start rolling in. "
I must confess that this is my only disappointment with the site. I was hopping that there would have already been a solid Mod team from day one.

Considering that that is my only major issues, that says a lot about the quality of this site and my excitement for its future.
"
you have to asses who is responsible enough within the forum period though
AndyWilliams24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By AndyWilliams24

Good content, unbiased reviews and the staff are great.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By timeshero
Fade2Gray said:
"Brad said:

Considering that that is my only major issue, that says a lot about the quality of this site and my excitement for its future.
"
I'll volunteer.  =)
Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Knives

Unprecidented user-generated content + video games = win!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By I_smell

I'd keep it bookmarked even without the reviews. Adding games to the Fire Extinguisher page is a cool thing to do while you're waitin on a download.

Hans16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hans16

Considering Jeff is god of the internets I'd say without him this website would be as cool as having a pet millipede

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By yami4ct

I personally love the site, but there is still a lot of work to do. Most of it can/needs to be done by the community, because there are still a lot of not so high profile/ bad game pages that need to be filled in. I'm so glad they are having this open beta so we as a community can test and fill the site  with good content before the full featured site launches.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RVonE
Brad said:
"
Good stuff. I'm excited!
Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

I think the site is actually pretty neat.  Kinda surprised me how exciting some of these features are. What's exciting is the potential for this site to grow. It's like someone looking at a little sprout and going "man, what a bogus tree". Dude, wait. This place is set up to foster constant growth. It's gonna be rad

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By Cube
roofy said:
"no one is here for the "content" or flashy pages. most people are here because they like to see how Jeff, brad, Ryan and Vinnie view the games were looking forward to. Who doesnt love their comedy?
"
Uh.

The editorial views of Jeff, Brad, Ryan and Co. is the content. You are here for the content they give us.

45gergewf4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 45gergewf4545

The only problem with it right now is how long it takes to load different pages. That will be fixed soon though. :-)

Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Logan_Aybara

This site has fulfilled all of my wishes with the exception of one: news.  I love that users can edit gamepages and upload user content on their favorite characters, plots, designers, etc.  The reviews are what we all have come to love from an outstanding editorial team of Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny.  The video content is topnotch thanks to Vinny.  The podcasting is amazing from what I hear (when I'm not too busy laughing myself silly).

The need I don't see this site fulfilling is that of up to the minute news-flashes as far as games go.  Perhaps it will grow to fulfill this need, but right now, I don't see that happening with the limited staff, and, as many have pointed out, lack of a moderator team.  I'm ok with that though, as I truly respect the work of the founding 4.  This is my homepage, as it has been since it went live in its infancy stage months ago.  I'm ecstatic over what I've seen so far, and can't wait to see what's yet to come.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By zerok

I think it brings enough good ideas together to also live without Jeff, Ryan and the rest of crew, but on the other hand I think it might have been launched a little bit too early. I'm esp. not all that sure about the whole lists feature and esp. the collection list not being available from the get-go.

Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bruuin

i'm not sure that you can take the people running the site out of the equation to begin with.  The whole concept of Giant Bomb as a free-for-all, anything goes (within reason) gaming site comes directly from Jeff's dismissal from his previous employer and the general restrictions and censorships that the enthusiast press typically suffers from.  Hence, why Brad, Ryan and Vinny followed along and others have also left to pursue other interests.  In concept at least, Giant Bomb elevates itself above that censorship and offers something different than what's already out there, both with user generated content and that of the editors.  So from that standpoint, yes, Giant Bomb is awesome, with or without the four of them at the helm.

However, given that it's only four guys on the team at this point it's unrealistic to expect content to rival other gaming news sites, but I think that's kind of the point here, isn't it?  I never got the impression that Giant Bomb was supposed to be a news site.  I felt that it's primary purpose was to be an open and honest community that puts games first.  Not review scores or system wars or designated triple A titles.  Just games, and gamers and enjoying the hobby we all share.

So in a sense, the original poster is right.  Without Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny, this site isn't as awesome.  It would still be amazing and could easily stand on it's own, but with those four churning out weekly podcasts and the occassional blogs and reviews, they kind of bring everything together to provide somewhat of an outline of what Giant Bomb stands for and I've found it refreshing, ever since the first Arrow Pointing Down podcast that I listened to.  They do make Giant Bomb that much better.

Kowalski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kowalski

I'm here primarily for the Crews editorial stuff. I liked the GiantBomb site when it was just a blog and a podcast. So that's my incentive. This other cool stuff is just bonus features more or less, even though I think these promising community features are greater than any videogames site before it.

I think the site is awesome. Keep in mind, they aren't a huge company and this is just day 2. Gamespot took 10 years before it became Awesome. Have som faith.

Josef_Nastra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Josef_Nastra

I am not dissapointed in any way about this site since it's launch. Yes it has it's faults but those will be fixed. And i think this site will just continue to grow and grow.