Has the Ico & SotC Quick Look been removed from the site?

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pr1mus

Plays fine for me.

Edit: I remember this not being one of Brad's finest moment but i forgot how displeased people were.

Edit 2: It works in HTML 5 but i can't get it to start in progressive or streaming.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pr1mus:

I don't remember anything bad about that video, did Brad call Yorda a homophobic slur or something?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: He failed miserably at beating the first Colossus and then people got mad as they usually do in these situations.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Edit 2: It works in HTML 5 but i can't get it to start in progressive or streaming.

Weird. So it's basically a premium only video now?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timing said:

@pr1mus said:

Weird. So it's basically a premium only video now?

I just learned now that HTML 5 is also members only... as if locking the Youtube player wasn't stupid enough. What a wonderful video player and business surrounding it they've got going.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks like some kind of bug. I'll let Vinny and Drew know and maybe they can re-encode it.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jimmyfenix

grip meter -_- and yeah it doesn't work for me aswell !

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Works fine for me. But I never get bugs, maybe I'm just lucky?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

@psylah: He failed miserably at beating the first Colossus and then people got mad as they usually do in these situations.

I don't criticize how the staff play games, because lol, but the SotC Quick Look was the lone exception. Brad actively got mad at the game and continuously blamed it for his failures, but he kept on disregarding simple mechanics and the obvious decreasing meter on the screen.

It's cool if people suck at games, but he was whining a little too much, more so than usual.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks for looking into it, I appreciate it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

I don't criticize how the staff play games, because lol, but the SotC Quick Look was the lone exception. Brad actively got mad at the game and continuously blamed it for his failures, but he kept on disregarding simple mechanics and the obvious decreasing meter on the screen.

It's cool if people suck at games, but he was whining a little too much, more so than usual.

To be fair, I tried to replay SotC in the HD remake and found the controls almost unbearably awful. And this was after I wrote an entire game guide for it for GameSpot. Feels like the guy who did QWOP did the controls for this.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't want to watch it anyways... avoid at all costs...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

To be fair, I tried to replay SotC in the HD remake and found the controls almost unbearably awful. And this was after I wrote an entire game guide for it for GameSpot. Feels like the guy who did QWOP did the controls for this.

Have you ever tried climbing up giant monsters? It's harder than it looks.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By schreiberty
@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

It wasnt the controls, brad kept complaining about falling off the colossus when the stamina meter was clearly running out and im pretty sure they tutorialize that aspect of the game minutes before

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

It wasnt the controls, brad kept complaining about falling off the colossus when the stamina meter was clearly running out and im pretty sure they tutorialize that aspect of the game minutes before

that aside the controls are absolutely atrocious.

Never played the original so can't say if something was mucked up in the hd port.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BisonHero

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

I feel like the SotC Quick Look may have been the Quick Look that finally taught Brad to never whine and blame the game for anything, because there is a 95% chance that the game is probably fine and they are the ones fucking up. I can't think of any particular time after SotC that anyone has blamed the game for their own failings in a major way.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

Indeed. I played it for the first time in 2012, and it was one of the most frustrating experiences I can remember having in gaming. Yet, also after finishing the final boss, somehow the most satisfying, too.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wjb

@rorie: Sure, I understand. It's been a while (8 years?), and I'm sure SotC isn't the most user friendly experience, even back in 2011. Again, that's why I say I don't typically criticize how people play games because the controls can end up sucking, but that QL was an example of why there should be some prep to familiarize oneself with the basic mechanics of a game. For instance: knowing that the circle on the bottom of the screen is a grip meter and it eventually runs out. Sometimes it can be fun going in blind (Vinny playing BioForge), sometimes it isn't.

I don't mean to come off nitpicky and I feel bad for even digging it back up, but I was trying to answer someone's question. I love Brad, but listening to someone act like that is hard, unless it's Breaking Brad and that's the whole point. Forget the game; I just do not care for that behavior since I come to the site for entertainment. He seems to calm down a lot more lately, right?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

Indeed. I played it for the first time in 2012, and it was one of the most frustrating experiences I can remember having in gaming. Yet, also after finishing the final boss, somehow the most satisfying, too.

Saying the guy from QWOP did the controls for the game is the best description anyone could have come up with.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Yea that was one of Brad's worst moments.

I wanted to comment though that the "bad" controls are intentional. Just like in Ico the character isn't supposed to be a Kratos like killing machine. He is awkward and weak and unprepared for the fight ahead. The controls make you feel a certain way. You feel helpless against these giant beings, more helpless than you would if the controls were perfect. Everything just isn't as accurate as you would expect. And that isn't a flaw, it is a strength. It is the point of Team Ico's games. They connect you to the character through the controls, and the animation, and the gameplay more than through dialogue. That's why people consider those two games two of the best in the industry.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Huh. I played it today and I thought the controls were totally fine. Except that triangle was 'jump', which I changed immediately.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, so it's now on YouTube since yesterday.

Loading Video...

Don't know if it's because of this thread or not, but thanks anyway!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh geeze, I remember watching this quick look. The most, mind-bogglingly painful quick look to watch in existence. The worst part was Brad saying something like "Let the record show I never let go of the *grip* button." after he'd fallen off the first, incredibly easy to defeat colossus for the nth time because he repeatedly failed to see the glaringly obvious stamina meter - the only HUD on the entire screen - flashing empty.

Not that I've never done anything that stupid.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, I had forgotten about this until now. Thanks.

In a surprise turn of events the Youtube comments happen to be 10x more interesting than the video.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@wjb: the ps3 version is known to control shiitier than the ps2 version, which also wasn't that great at it either

Its a game that needs more than 30 minutes to get used to. Sorry that brad isnt playing a 10 year old game all of the time to make sure he's sharp at it

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jimmyfenix
Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: I'd heard the HD collection is based on the PAL version, which is more difficult than the NA version at least. Grip strength, and things are reduced or drain quicker. What's worse with the controls?

But to be fair, Brad was really bad in this. His infamous "Let the record show..." is what annoyed most people, since he was blaming the game for his own faults.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@wjb said:

@pr1mus said:

You can change the controls though. That's what I did and it helped me a lot.