• 108 results
Posted by Fobwashed (1887 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Has the removal of Forum Activity from the main page altered your forum use? (471 votes)

No change. 25%
I use the forums more. 2%
I use the forums less. 67%
The what was removed when now? Tralse! 6%

While it looks like it may be making a return according to the What we're working on page, front page forum activity is currently gone. Has this change had any effect on your forum usage on the site?

Was wondering whether or not this was actually affecting anyone other than myself. I personally almost never went into the forums unless a topic on the front caught my eye but do find myself more frequently clicking on forums to have a look see what's going on, but not nearly as much as I used to. I do still check up on @zombiepie 's weekly community spotlight. Overall though, much less than I used to -_-;; It might also be interesting if there were a way to have a Blog Activity type thing that mimics forum activity, cept. . . you know. . . for blogs. I feel like I'm missing a lot of interesting stuff that may even slip through zombie's sticky fingers.

#51 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

To me, not having the forum list on the front page only serves to highlight how there isn't much new content on the rest of the site. I don't mean that in a negative sense (well, maybe kind of - they do employ five writers, two of which seem to do the only writing) but I used to consider the forum activity part of the site content. If there wasn't anything new on the site I'd check out the latest threads. Without that option, the front page only serves to magnify the fact that Klepeck and Navarro are the only ones who put out (non-video) content.

#52 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -

I miss seeing what forums are active on the front page. It made me more likely to dive into those conversations. That being said, I now go to the forum tab and do essentially the same thing. It has decreased my forum use a bit though.

#53 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@fobwashed: I like the idea of a ticker or something along those lines.

It'd be nice to not just see a million sticky threads though...

#54 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

As of the prior revamp, I switched my bookmark to the forums. So it's no different for me. I use RSS so I never miss anything. And videos are posted mostly when I'm at work, so my routine is to grab them in batches when I get home.

#55 Edited by TheHT (10804 posts) -

I use it less. Also the posts being of the left instead of the right really trips me out. I'll get used to that though.

#56 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

I miss them for sure but now I just click on the forum tab. There has seemed to be a decrease in forum activity since the change.

#57 Posted by Fobwashed (1887 posts) -

@irvandus said:

I used to only really join in topics that were on the main page unless I was looking for something specific. It's very rare for me to actually hop over here now.

Say it ain't so big bo!

Why would you scroll all the way down to check on the forums when you can just click a button? Oh, Internet, you so cray cray.

It's stupid, but I feel like going to the forums themselves were a bit overwhelming compared to the bite sized, easily digestible at a glance snippets on the front page. I do check twitter often enough separate from the GB website that I'd rather have the forum snips there than the staff tweets.

#58 Posted by spookytapes (261 posts) -

I go less, I used to click on random interesting looking threads from the home page even before I was a member, now I forget to even dive into the forums (I got sent to this thread via twitter).

#59 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -

Is there any other way to just have a list of threads, no matter what forum section, with the most active ones on top. Basically, is there an equivalent right now? Because that was basically my interest in the forums, random threads that just caught my eye.

Isn't that what happens when you click on the forum button?

#60 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

Just posting here to celebrate my 1700th forum post. And I'm not the slightest bit ashamed that it's spam. Ha!

#61 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

I look at the forums maybe once or twice per day now as opposed to every 10-30 minutes I did when it was on the front page.

#62 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

I use them less now, but I feel more engaged now that I use the forum link instead. I had this bad habit of just going to the main page to check out the forums, and then I would just f5 the homepage until I found something interesting.

#63 Posted by Bollard (5202 posts) -

Why would you scroll all the way down to check on the forums when you can just click a button? Oh, Internet, you so cray cray.

It's stupid, but I feel like going to the forums themselves were a bit overwhelming compared to the bite sized, easily digestible at a glance snippets on the front page. I do check twitter often enough separate from the GB website that I'd rather have the forum snips there than the staff tweets.

I agree with this. Also less button presses. Also it became a habit. I still scroll down to the bottom now and then get sad there is nothing there.

#64 Edited by cannedstingray (386 posts) -

Granted I'm not a huge forum poster, but I would usually scroll down and see what folks were chatting about. definitely not as much anymore.

#65 Edited by Cyrus_Saren (529 posts) -

While I was never a very frequent poster, I definitely do not check the forums as often as I used to. I usually used the front page and just checking the activity feed from people I follow to reply to anything. Since currently neither of those are working... yes, definitely a lot less often.

#66 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

I view a lot less topics that's for sure, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess.

#67 Posted by Ares42 (2556 posts) -

I never actually knew you could click just the forums button and get the same thing before this thread :P The way the website is made it just seems very unintuitive to actually click those main buttons (because of the insta-popup submenus).

#68 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@fobwashed said:

I agree with this. Also less button presses. Also it became a habit. I still scroll down to the bottom now and then get sad there is nothing there.

It's one button press. If you guys are trying to avoid one button press, then you guys are hopeless.

@ares42 said:

@winternet said:

I never actually knew you could click just the forums button and get the same thing before this thread :P The way the website is made it just seems very unintuitive to actually click those main buttons (because of the insta-popup submenus).

Wait, wait, wait. The button with the word "Forums" on it links you to the Forums page? OH. MY. GOD. No way. No fucking way! :p

#69 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, I didn't realize there was forum activity on the main page. So I guess D.

#70 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I hardly look at them any more :(

#71 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Yes. I used to visit the forums all the time, but I do so infrequently now.

The Forum Activity is only a part of it, though. Like OfficeGamer below me stated, smaller avatars, non-colored names and a layout that I'm not pleased with are also contributing factors. (As well as the indeed badly designed PM message when a user receives a reply)

#72 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

What altered my forum use is the tiny post space on threads, tiny avatars and all red names that make you all "person 1, person 2, etc.." to me rather than different people with faces and names, and the terrible PM message about getting replies.

#73 Posted by Ares42 (2556 posts) -

@winternet: Hehe, I know it sounds stupid, but when all the options pop up it makes no sense to actually click the button. Like what would you expect to find other than the exact same list that popped up ? It's just a stupid assumption but it's pretty much standard procedure for clicking "Forums" buttons that all they do is list all the different forums. I can't really think of any other forums I've ever been to where clicking the forums button would list recent topics.

#74 Posted by TehBuLL (589 posts) -

It takes the whole fun out of reading threads I would normally not search out. If I'm just reading news and I see "penis pictures in COD" or whatever it is i will click it and enjoy. Especially on the pc I don't understand the change because the community stuff doesn't get updated enough for a daily spot. There is shit there from months ago. You should look at every section of the front page as a unique feed. What I get from the community feed I'd that I should only visit once every couple weeks. Especially since it is so prominent.

#75 Edited by Bollard (5202 posts) -
#76 Edited by CallMeTetris (72 posts) -

Yeah, actually visiting more now that I have to actively go to the forums instead of getting randomly sucked into the occasional front-page thread. I'm still not really posting, but maybe I'll be more active now?

#77 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

I come to the forums less, but I may just get used to navigating the new site.

#78 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

I'm on the forums less now. I was just used to scrolling down to the bottom to see what's up. Another click doesn't sound like a lot of work but the convenience meant something to me damnit!

#79 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

I use it less.

#80 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

I look at the forums maybe once or twice per day now as opposed to every 10-30 minutes I did when it was on the front page.

This basically is what happened for me as well and I hate it.

#81 Edited by JBG4 (385 posts) -

I actually do use them a bit less. I miss having that quick feed to take a look at to just see if there was something there that grabbed my attention. I also enjoyed having the most reason blogs of my followed users being a bit easier to find.

I personally think the bottom section on the front page is a bit too cluttered for my liking now. It looked much cleaner and easier to navigate before.

#82 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

This is my first forum post since the relaunch of the site. I'd say that's a yes. Also I've actually had shit to do recently. I'm not a complete slacker anymore.

It sucks. I want to go back to being a complete slacker.

#83 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I barely go on the forums now.

#84 Posted by illegalnull (112 posts) -

No change here.

#85 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3760 posts) -

Nope. Forgot it was even there before people talked about it being gone.

#86 Edited by akeripper4 (152 posts) -

@shaunage said:

I keep scrolling down looking for it. It's the one thing I really miss in the new design.

i'm just finding i'm less likely to jump in on random threads.

+45

I'm on the forums less now. I was just used to scrolling down to the bottom to see what's up. Another click doesn't sound like a lot of work but the convenience meant something to me damnit!

@ajamafalous said:

This basically is what happened for me as well and I hate it.

#87 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

It would be best if we could switch between user community blog crap and forum activity. To me, that user stuff is filler because the staff can't think of enough content themselves to fill a home page.

One thing that mags did very well was random features like what games could they find for under XX dollars. Sites just never got that thou IGN seems to get the idea a little.

#88 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

A lot less, I don't think I ever used the forum button until the redesign.

#89 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

Apparently sparsely updated Twitter feeds are better than fostering an active community.

#90 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

Yes. I used to visit the forums all the time, but I do so infrequently now.

The Forum Activity is only a part of it, though. Like OfficeGamer below me stated, smaller avatars, non-colored names and a layout that I'm not pleased with are also contributing factors. (As well as the indeed badly designed PM message when a user receives a reply)

What altered my forum use is the tiny post space on threads, tiny avatars and all red names that make you all "person 1, person 2, etc.." to me rather than different people with faces and names, and the terrible PM message about getting replies.

These are definitely other hugely contributing factors for me. I mean, I only got to this thread through twitter, and I'm only here again because of the (really poorly laid out) message notifications that someone had quoted me.

#91 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I want the option to switch between latest forum posts and twitter on the main page. On second thought, scratch that last part; I don't really care about the twitter feed.

#92 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I really miss it. I hope it comes back, but I can't see that happening right now after Dave and co. literally just finished launching this bad boy.

#93 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

I like the change, although that's mostly because I always would follow the same pattern on the old site:

1. Refresh to see if any new content was posted on the site

2. Scroll down to see the most recent forum activity

3. Find a thread that looked particularly stupid or interesting and click on it.

4. Encounter ungodly stupidity which was either expected or unexpected depending on #3

5. Get mad and want to punch someone in the face.

It's my fault of course - no one forced me to click on anything - but getting mad less has certainly helped my blood pressure.

#94 Posted by Strife777 (1490 posts) -

@lebkin said:

@strife777 said:

Is there any other way to just have a list of threads, no matter what forum section, with the most active ones on top. Basically, is there an equivalent right now? Because that was basically my interest in the forums, random threads that just caught my eye.

Isn't that what happens when you click on the forum button?

Well, I had been using my iPad ever since the site launched, and on there, it doesn't let me click the forum tab directly, it only opens up the menu. So I didn't know I could do that, thanks for answering.

So basically now I don't really have a problem with any of the changes.

#95 Posted by DeathByWaffle (628 posts) -

I definitely use the forums less now. I'd much rather have the forum activity back at the bottom instead of staff tweets.

#96 Posted by Giefcookie (580 posts) -

I only use general forums now because I don't have time to go looking around game forums for worthwhile topics.

#97 Posted by Yummylee (21207 posts) -

It did at first, but I've gotten accustomed to it. Still, it'll be really unfortunate to see the game-specific boards become even more reclusive and inactive.

#98 Posted by darkvare (757 posts) -

i don't get the point of the twitter feed though most of the time is jeff and ryan speaking nonsense which i already see in my twitter feed and even when they post stuff about the site i'm already on the site why would i bother going to the twitter feed?

#99 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

I never used that. What I did use constantly was the friend activity feed, and it being broken has meant I pretty much don't have contact with anyone.

#100 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

I use them less. Bring them back please.