#1 Posted by Silock (238 posts) -

...but turns out to be a game you really enjoy and invested hours and hours into it?

I guess we can call these 'guilty pleasures' I have a few, the most noticeable one would be Superman (Xbox 360), not many people liked that game at all, but I played it, completed it and even after doing so still played it for many days on end just flying around and wreaking havoc.

What about you guys?

#2 Posted by DeeGee (2121 posts) -

People talk a lot of shit about Alpha Protocol, but that may be one of my favourite games of all time.

#3 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Too Human. Nothing else needs to be said.

#4 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

I really like Dues Ex: Invisible War. I just never thought of it as a Dues Ex game, and bam, it's an enjoyable game.

#5 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Brutal Legend.

#6 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

People talk a lot of shit about Alpha Protocol, but that may be one of my favourite games of all time.

Not too sure that was badly received by the general public, though; all Alpha Protocol threads I've seen here have a lot of people saying they enjoyed it (while pointing out its faults). Most of the negativity came from the press, which is partly why I don't trust official reviews all that much.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Probably Alpha Protocol.

Honourable mention goes to Dark Reign, which wasn't so much critically blasted (it actually scored well) so much as it was completely overshadowed by Total Annihilation.

TA did a lot of new stuff, and I understand the reverence it is held in, but DR is one of the best RTSes of all time, and deserved a lot more attention than it got considering it also did several revolutionary things that were cribbed from by later games.

#8 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

RAGE is one of my favourite games in recent years.

I also loved Final Fantasy V, even though I can kind of see why others wouldn't.

#9 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -
#10 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Put me on the alpha protocol team. Game was pretty fun. Hope they can do another one

#11 Posted by Dixavd (1344 posts) -

All the .hack games were generally reviewed extremely badly in the US and Europe but I love all the games. Other than that I don't know, I generally don't look into how games are percieved and I can't really think of any that are felt to be horrendously bad but I liked (I can think of games that generally people don't like which I do such as FFX-2 or FF13 but in actuality they aren't really considered bad games just not really liked relative to the series they are in but review wise they are still considered solid games).

I also wouldn't call this a guilty pleasure thread as I have no guilt about liking them, I am actually quite happy about it.

#12 Edited by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Brutal Legend. I'm one of the weird people that really liked it and the strategy combat.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3796 posts) -

The Dynasty Warriors series is probably the biggest one for me. Liked them for a while even when they were getting panned like crazy by every reviewer.

Even I had my limits though. Fell out with the series a couple of editions ago. Tried the games but they just bore me. No new additions that are worthwhile and the biggest change in the form of the combat system moving to a chain system made the game a lot worse IMO.

#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Alpha Protocol was pretty great. It probably wouldn't have received such harsh reviews if it was from a higher profile developer.

I also quite liked Two Worlds. It had a lot of problems, but if you're a fan of open world RPG's, there was a lot to like. The world itself was much more interesting to explore than Oblivion's and the combat was much more in depth (if you could look past the terrible animations and hilarious voice acting).

#15 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Alpha Protocol was fun indeed and I enjoyed it a lot (other than the horrid first mission). I enjoyed Spec Ops The Line as well, I even thought the combat was decent enough.

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3341 posts) -
#17 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

Tenchu Z, one of the only games I've played that almost feels like a lite ninja RPG. A combination of sub-par graphics, kind of janky controls and no tutorials about all the combos and such put people a lot off I think. The maps are reused a lot too, but I loved it.

#18 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

Nier, Alpha Protocol

#19 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

Dark Void, sure i only payed it through once but i really enjoyed it and would welcome a sequel with open arms, I really enjoyed the mix of ground and air sequences and a sequel could alleviate some of the problems reviewers had with the early to mid game and have a jet pack all the time.

#20 Posted by Daiphyer (1333 posts) -

The Saboteur.

I loved every second of that game.

#21 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Mega Man X6. It really does have a lot of terrible design choices, and the story is not good in comparison to the stuff that came before. However I got it at the age where I looked at that as just part of the charm and challenge and got really good at the game. The soundtrack is decent though, and I play through it every once in a while.

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Have to go with the saboteur as well. One of my favorites of this gen.

#23 Posted by Peanut (953 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

Tenchu Z, one of the only games I've played that almost feels like a lite ninja RPG. A combination of sub-par graphics, kind of janky controls and no tutorials about all the combos and such put people a lot off I think. The maps are reused a lot too, but I loved it.

You're the only person I've ever seen say they loved this game and it feels so fucking great to finally see it. I loved and played the hell out of Tenchu Z.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

Dynasty Warriors 5 Xtreme Legends. I was only like 15 when I played it though.

#25 Posted by Sbaitso (532 posts) -

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. BOOM!

#26 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Peanut said:

@Grimhild said:

You're the only person I've ever seen say they loved this game and it feels so fucking great to finally see it. I loved and played the hell out of Tenchu Z.

/highfive

#27 Posted by ShaggE (6417 posts) -

Just to name a few recent-ish (very "ish") ones: Alpha Protocol, Brutal Legend, Manhunt 2, Splatterhouse remake, Doom 3, Guitar Hero 3, the Mortal Kombats between 4 and 9.

#28 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

@Sbaitso said:

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. BOOM!

#29 Posted by tread311 (356 posts) -

I really enjoyed the Risen games, especially the first one. Something about the janky European RPG appeals to me.

#30 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

Advent Rising.

#31 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

I loved the strategy element of Brutal Legend but I recognize it was heavily flawed. I still played a ton of that game and played at ton of online multiplayer. I also really loved Wet despite the at times jankiness.

#32 Posted by Loafsmooch (348 posts) -

Deadliest Warrior on XBLA. Played it so much I got up to top 10 on the leaderboards, think I still should be somewhere up there since no-one plays it anymore :/

Man I loved that ninja..

#33 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

Brutal Legend, Far Cry 2, and Resident Evil 5 to name a few. The first two I understand why people don't like them but I don't even get the hate for RE5.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever.

#35 Edited by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Tenchu Z and Alpha Protocol comes to mind. Alpha Protocol should have a warning along the lines of "Guns are rage inducing trash until you max out their skills".

Oh yeah, Saboteur. I liked that one too.

#36 Posted by Sbaitso (532 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Now you're just being silly.

#37 Posted by mbr2 (564 posts) -

Far Cry 2

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

FInal Fantasy XIII. In fact, I'm going to play that right now. Later.

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@Sbaitso said:

Not even; I really enjoyed it. A lot of people just went in with the wrong idea of what that game was going to be.
#40 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Depends too much on personal taste and such, I've enjoyed a lot of 'bad' games.

#41 Posted by The_Nubster (2096 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Marry me.

#42 Posted by mosespippy (4113 posts) -

At the time I enjoyed Driv3r. I hadn't played very many other games so I didn't have much to measure it against and the physics and graphics beat the shit out of GTA. I still disagree with the 5.4 that Jeff gave it considering a week later he gave The Guy Game a 7.5.

#43 Posted by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

Mirror's Edge, people hated the combat and they were right to, it shouldn't of been in there at all but the parkour first person free running was just great.

#44 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Sbaitso said:

You know it is possible to find enjoyment out of something that was badly received right? That game was flawed as hell to me and I doubt I'll ever play it again, but I did surprisingly enjoy parts of Duke Nukem Forever and was not offended unlike most others.

Would I recommend people to play it? Probably not. Did I regret buying and playing it? Honestly not at all. I hope Gearbox takes a crack at a Duke Nukem game because I'm interested in seeing one done from a developer that likely won't be going through a decade-long dev-cycle of hell.

#45 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Yep, put me down for Alpha Protocol and Too Human as well. I really enjoyed those games.

#46 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

I liked FEAR 3 a lot when I played it. Some confusing level design and a stupid story didn't stop me from having fun with the weapons and screwing around in co op.

But the bigger crime there, at least in my opinion, was the multiplayer, which was left unmentioned by many people and had network issues. But when played with four of your buddies (the game's maximum number of players), it was one of the most fun and inventive things I've messed with this generation. And Fucking Run is one of the best modes I've ever played.

I sold it for Rage. And then sold that for Skyrim.

#47 Edited by Quarters (1677 posts) -

Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain. That game is AWESOME. Oh, and Alpha Protocol. One of the most criminally underrated games ever.

#48 Posted by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

I'll go to my grave screaming that Nier was the best game of 2010. Had better music and story than any game that came out that year.

#49 Posted by gsquirrelgo (48 posts) -

@Ben_H: Oh hells yes, all the Star Wars games should go back to that model. Double Dragon with Light Sabers!

#50 Edited by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

A lot of JRPGs fall into this category but the two that I really enjoyed but got high 60s in Metacritic are Magna Carta 2 and Infinite Undiscovery. Infinite Undiscovery in particular had some great combat that I still wish would be implemented more in other JRPGs.