#1 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

Now when I say good, I don't mean good for a video game movie. Has there ever been a movie good enough to stand on its own and called good film.

I was thinking about this and I couldn't think of a single one. Books, comic books, and even plays have been made into fantastic movies, but not a single video game film adaption jumps to mind as something that could hold its own as a movie.

#2 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

If you consider Indie Game: The Movie in that category (which i wouldn't) then there's that. The original Mortal Kombat movie was fun and stupid way back in the day. Granted i was 5 years old....

#3 Posted by BlastProcessing (917 posts) -

NOPE

#4 Posted by spankingaddict (2674 posts) -

POP was almost good . Indie Game : The Movie was a lot of fun to watch .

#5 Posted by MetalBaofu (1389 posts) -

Best ones are probably Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil. Whether or not they fit someone's criteria of "good" or not is up to them. There definitely hasn't been one anywhere near the level of book/comic adaptations, but they will probably get there eventually. Comic adaptations used to(and some still are) be complete trash as well.

#6 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Super Mario Bros duuhhhh

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@killacam said:

Super Mario Bros duuhhhh

I've actually seen the movie, and there are a billion reasons why it's terrible.

#8 Posted by Stonyman65 (2713 posts) -

I really liked the first Mortal Kombat movie. The Dead or Alive movie was kind of fun too (in that ridiculous kind of way).

The first Resident Evil movie was probably the "best" all things considered.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

Prince of Persia is good. Not "great", but "good".

#10 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

First Mortal Kombat was decent. Prince of Persia was passable. Resident Evil: Retribution was surprisingly entertaining in a "dumb fun" way, even though I disliked the first and second entries in the series.

#11 Posted by Soapy86 (2622 posts) -

King of Kong is a genuinely great movie, but it's not based on a game really.

#12 Edited by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

The first Resident Evil movie wasn't terrible. I liked it more than I should have when it first came out.

#13 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

The first Resident Evil movie wasn't terrible. I liked it more than I should have when it first came out.

This. Prince of Persia is a good Disney flick too. It doesn't resemble the games by any means, except the outfit from Warrior Within and the dagger.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

mortal kombat is as good as it's contemporaries are (those being summer action flicks)

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I have never seen a film adaptation of a video game that was genuinely good, and I think even a lot of the ones that are held in higher regard than others would be treated as completely forgettable if they didn't have the video game titles slapped onto them.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

I liked Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill. They weren't that good, don't get me wrong, but solid movies.

#17 Posted by kalibr (120 posts) -

I wouldn't call Street Fighter a good movie by any means but its enjoyable in the way Fast and the Furious is, plus it has terrible Van Damme lines throughout. I cant think of another video game movie I actually enjoyed tho Mortal Kombat wasnt too bad.

#18 Edited by Icemael (6322 posts) -

Sure. Resident Evil: Afterlife and Retribution are incredibly dumb, but in a good way. Particularly Retribution, which I am not ashamed to say was one of my most enjoyable cinema visits last year.

#19 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3208 posts) -

I loved Mortal Kombat back when I was a retarded, furry loving 12 year old.

Short answer: It depends.

#20 Edited by claybrez (76 posts) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

unless your definition of good is "so bad it's good", no.

#21 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2472 posts) -

The 3rd Resident Evil movie was really good. And I actually liked the Hitman movie.

#22 Posted by sf2733 (45 posts) -

street fighter. mortal kombat. Dunno if it counts since its video game themed but wreck it ralph was actually pretty decent.

#23 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Nope. There have been a couple I've seen that weren't totally inept, but I've never seen one that I'd say was actually good. Most have been pure dogshit.

#24 Posted by Landon (4144 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@killacam said:

Super Mario Bros duuhhhh

I've actually seen the movie, and there are a billion reasons why it's terrible.

I unironically enjoy the Super Mario Bros movie.

#25 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I actually found Final Fantasy Spirits Within to be pretty good. A lot of people thought it was crap because it had nothing to do with the game, but that's just a bunch of bull shit. Every Final Fantasy game is different from the previous. Unless it's a true sequel, like X-2 and XIII-2.

You should also watch Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Square-Enix did a very good job with that movie.

#26 Edited by GreggD (4505 posts) -
#27 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -
#28 Posted by Quemador (167 posts) -

@Animasta said:

mortal kombat is as good as it's contemporaries are (those being summer action flicks)

Agree

#29 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

The one with Wolverine as Hugh Jackman. Although the movie was terrible, the game was actually pretty good. i think it was developed by Blizzard, go figure.

#30 Edited by Yummylee (21695 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

I have never seen a film adaptation of a video game that was genuinely good, and I think even a lot of the ones that are held in higher regard than others would be treated as completely forgettable if they didn't have the video game titles slapped onto them.

This. What's especially baffled me is this strange fondness for the first Resident Evil movie. I suppose because when compared to the dreck that followed it it's like a damned masterpiece. But it's still a largely forgettable film all the same. It has one great scene and everything else is basically filler.

Silent Hill is probably the closest to being a genuinely good film, but even that is sorta mediocre overall. Half-Good you might say.

#31 Posted by Jeffmoocow (124 posts) -

The Phoenix Wright movie is probably the only one I've actually enjoyed.

#32 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Gamer_152 said:

This. What's especially baffled me is this strange fondness for the first Resident Evil movie. I suppose because when compared to the dreck that followed it it's like a damned masterpiece. But it's still a largely forgettable film all the same. It has one great scene and everything else is basically filler.

Silent Hill is probably the closest to being a genuinely good film, but even that is sorta mediocre overall. Half-Good you might say.

The laser grid scene? Also, I'd like to say that Mortal Kombat was actually pretty great. It stayed true to the source material, and was actually a pretty good action movie, on top of being a faithful video game adaptation.

#33 Posted by obscurefan (282 posts) -

Rec 2... no that's not actually based on any game whatsoever, but when they decide to relaunch the Resident Evil movie franchise, that's the film they should take notes from.

#34 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Rec 2... no that's not actually based on any game whatsoever, but when they decide to relaunch the Resident Evil movie franchise, that's the film they should take notes from.

That's the FPS horror film that ends in a boss fight, right?

And yeah, like someone else said it doesn't technically count, but fuck me is Wreck It Ralph the best film about video game culture, at least. Both in the cameos and themes of that story. It's good shit.