Avatar image for big_daddy_brent
Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent

I just found this article on n4g where some guy is bashing ryan davis and giant bomb.
 http://n4g.com/NewsPendingCom-429115.aspx?CT=2&Page=1&Page2=1#C3027340
Does anyone agree with his opinion?
I think I losely remember Ryan Davis saying some of the things that he mentions but I guess I never realized how bad it was until their all pointed out together. I might have to listen back to some episodes, and maybe re watch  the Demon's Souls quick look cause that's the only time I remember Jeff talking about Demon's Souls.
edit - 
Here's a direct link to the blog post (Thanks Driadon)
http://theplaystationshow.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ignorant-opinions-in-video

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

"You Must be a registered user to be able to view this page"

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

You should post the article here, since N4G seems to require a log-in.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buzz_killington

Ahahahahah... N4G!!!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By ez123

Copy and paste...

and No, I probably don't agree.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DanielJW
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CarolinaFan3515

I didn't visit your link, but Cheap Ass Gamer was jokingly bashing Mr. Gerstmann on their podcast a few weeks back.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidSwords

I'm activating my TROLL sheild, I suggest everyone does too
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Big_Daddy_Brent: You should add a lot more commentary than just a link if you don't want to see this topic locked.
Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent

It's a pretty big article with pictures so I didn't want to copy and paste but I guess I can copy and paste the meat of the article.

edit - look below

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon

Actual article:  
http://theplaystationshow.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ignorant-opinions-in-video  

And to some degree I agree with this guy, but I think the article is poorly worded. Ryan, in particular, is rather quick to judge a game before giving it a go, though when he does end up getting the controller in his hands that tends to change (or not) for the better. I can understand people's preferences, but there seems to be some sort of extreme disdain within the jolly Davis.

Oh and on that whole Jeff thing: From his twitter

Text message from a friend: "Play Demon's Souls already you weakass chicken pussy!" Hm. I was planning on getting into DA:O next, but maybe?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Proof or I am not believing those claims.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rhaknar

jeff never said he wont play demons souls because its bad, its just not a game for him. same reason ill never play GT5. and blogs about Ryan being a bit of an ass, when HE has said he's an ass, and most of the crew has said he's an ass multiple times are redundant

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@LiquidSwords: 

Screw that, I'm gonna equip my Goblin Mace and Genji Gloves. I'd like to see a troll survive this onslaught.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

I have made no attempt to read the offending article because, whatever dude. Opinions and all that.

Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent
@Rhaknar: From what I read he mentions Jeffs opinion on the game affecting some one elses decision. Maybe he didn't explain it well in his post but I think he was more upset by Jeff having an opinion on the game then choosing not to play it. I don't remember what Jeff has had to say about the game so maybe I'm wrong and Jeff hasn't said anything bad about the game.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Evilsbane
@Big_Daddy_Brent: Watch the quicklook Jeff has a low outlook on the game.

Ryan doesn't like the game whoop dee doo and I haven't played it even though I really like games with swords and stuff because the game frankly just looks janky as hell I may rent it, and if you watch the quicklook Jeff clearly seems disillusioned by the game by his own accord so this whole article is BS.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Milkman

When it called Ryan Davis "the face of evil", I lawled and clicked the x. No thanks.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By GunstarRed

It's amazing how anyone could take anything seriously random internet dude with blog #135626792866227627826278  has to say... 

But then I remember what the internet is like...  

I cry myself to sleep some nights.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By buzz_clik

This is a sample from the 'article':

I notice this happening more often with Ryan Davis, he was bashing anyone who was excited about Batman Arkham Asylum because it was a Batman game and those never turn out well, he obviously ended up looking stupid but instead of saying that he said people were exaggerating when they say it's a game of the year contender but it's good.

See that? That's all one sentence. When you intend to berate someone for being ignorant, it's probably better that you cease abusing the English language before deploying your rant. Joke article or not, that's just sloppy.

Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent
@Evilsbane: Jeff seems to be the smaller part of the article. It's mainly focused on Ryan Davis and the fact that his opinion on the game can have a large effect on the games sales because it's his job to play games and critique them. But according to the article he is making decisions on games without playing them which is fine for games like petz but people notice when his opinion differs from the majority.
nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nick69

I like how the call him the face of evil...why does it matter if he doesn't like the game? He didn't go around ranting about how shitty the game is.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By JJOR64

Gotta love blogs from people you have never heard about before.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Belonpopo

It's on like muthafuckin' Donkey Kong.

Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent
@JJOR64 said:
" Gotta love blogs from people you have never heard about before. "
True That! it seems he just posted this on some small site and the admin submitted it to n4g so I don't think he thought this would get back to Giant Bomb.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, besides the article itself being poorly written, the man also seems to not understand everyone's motivation for disliking the game.

First off, Ryan is ALWAYS the skeptic when it comes to games.  He seems to do it on purpose just to be obnoxious many times, and that's what makes him an endearing character (or not, as the case may be to some).  His Batman comments seemed somewhat justified.  This was an unproven developer with a license that hadn't put out a good game since a couple decent beat'em ups on Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, yet it got a ridiculous amount of coverage and early praise.  Luckily the game turned out excellent, but I cannot fault Mr. Davis for staying level-headed among all the hoopla. 

Secondly, Jeff's not wanting to purchase the game was based solely on personal preference.  He admitted his distaste for the level of difficulty and time-consumption the game seemed to put forth, which had nothing to do with Ryan or anybody else's comments.  If someone, let's say, doesn't have a penchant for playing FPS games, and therefore dislikes Modern Warfare 2, I believe they have an excuse for doing so despite the overall quality of the game. 

I also think he overstated Vinny's supposed enthusiasm for the game, but that's getting into places even I do not wish to enter.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Adamantium

I really can't see that being a truly serious blog. Just a dude ranting and knowing he's just being a douche about the whole thing. Meanwhile the GB crew are f*cking internet rock stars, and this "Johnathan Ramirez" guy is.... wait who the f*ck is Johnathan Ramirez? 

Oh: 

No Caption Provided
<---- This is Johnathan Ramirez; he loves him some Demon's Souls.... and hot dogs. Is he jealous because he didn't get a kick-ass hot dog warmer?

In addition, he has some wonderful insight into the Ryan Davis mind control program than we've all long suspected:

"I think it's worth noting that the only person in the giant bomb offices who actually played the game (Vinny Caravella) actually bought his own copy after enjoying the free copy Atlus sent them, and has been trying to save Jeff from Ryan's Mind Control, but unfortunately it is to late for Jeff and he will never enjoy this amazing game. I write this blog because hopefully it is not too late for Bsmith or anyone else who has fallen for Ryan Davis' trap."

Johnathan Ramirez, thank you for saving all of us from the evil Ryan Davis Brainwashing Cult knows as Giant Bomb. I hope you don't choke on that hot dog.

Psych. I totally hope you choke on that f*cking hot dog.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Evilsbane
@Big_Daddy_Brent: I think its fine to have predisposed about something before you play it if it has history of being sub-par like I am about Dynasty Warriors games the last I don't know 1400 of those games have sucked monkey balls so I would assume that the next one would be bad, and Batman is another good example many games came before it and they blew ass so what would make you feel differently about the next I mean I think this is one subject where its ok to be proven wrong in fact thats great because Batman turned out to be one of the best games of the year but for some reason I just don't see Demon Souls doing that its got some cool ideas but its not a triple A title and in this age of gaming some of the old school stuff it does is neat but in the end there is a reason we moved beyond that stuff, you know to actually have fun? A game can be difficult without being obnoxious about it.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spike94

Ugh. The amount of ignorance in that article is ridiculous...but it's a good thing we really don't care. :D 
Nor do the GB cast, I'm sure. 

EDIT: Spelling... >.>
Big_Daddy_Brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Big_Daddy_Brent
@Adamantium said:
" I really can't see that being a truly serious blog. Just a dude ranting and knowing he's just being a douche about the whole thing. Meanwhile the GB crew are f*cking internet rock stars, and this "Johnathan Ramirez" guy is.... wait who the f*ck is Johnathan Ramirez? 

Oh: 
No Caption Provided
<---- This is Johnathan Ramirez; he loves him some Demon's Souls.... and hot dogs. Is he jealous because he didn't get a kick-ass hot dog warmer?

In addition, he has some wonderful insight into the Ryan Davis mind control program than we've all long suspected:

"I think it's worth noting that the only person in the giant bomb offices who actually played the game (Vinny Caravella) actually bought his own copy after enjoying the free copy Atlus sent them, and has been trying to save Jeff from Ryan's Mind Control, but unfortunately it is to late for Jeff and he will never enjoy this amazing game. I write this blog because hopefully it is not too late for Bsmith or anyone else who has fallen for Ryan Davis' trap."   Johnathan Ramirez, thank you for saving all of us from the evil Ryan Davis Brainwashing Cult knows as Giant Bomb. I hope you don't choke on that hot dog.     Psych. I totally hope you choke on that f*cking hot dog. "
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's trying to be funny with the mind control thing and doesn't actually think everyone here is brain washed, or Ryan Davis is the face of evil. Looks from the picture that he is in a football stadium and actually on the field. Maybe he is a very important person :P
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Suicrat

So wait a sec, this guy is saying that any shortfall in sales of Demon's Souls is the fault of a guy with a podcast and a website whose userbase is only 60 000 (at most?)

Talk about your tenuous links....

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By rjayb89

Davis is an ass, but Ramirez is an asshole.

skippyscissors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By skippyscissors

Troll shield activated. Adds +5 defense against hot-dog stuffing bloggers.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Who cares, Ryan is awesome.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous

I lol'd.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37  Edited By Symphony

Wait... you mean to tell me Ryan and Jeff don't like most fantasy / RPG games?! You mean there's a reason they get Dave to review titles like Dragon Age and Wrath of the Lich King? Well shit, here I thought Dave had lost a bet or two and was forced to write those reviews while the rest of the crew got to talk smack about Demon's Souls.

Seriously, anyone who comes to GB to get info or reviews on RPGs is looking in the wrong place and it's pretty easy to figure that out if you've spent any length of time here.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38  Edited By the8bitNacho

Ryan does have a weird track record of game-bashing before actually playing it.  He was shit-talking Arkham Asylum and Demon's Souls both quite excessively on Twitter weeks prior to either release.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZmillA

Are people taking that  "article" seriously?

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JazzyJeff

Ryan has gotten on my nerves in the past, but then I reminded myself that he's just writing and doing commentary about video games. Sometimes you have to take a step back and ask yourself: "Why am I upset about this?" They're just games, after all.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lowbrow

That dude sure does have a boner over demon souls.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Brendan

I don't see why everyone is jumping down this guys thoat.  He may have worded the article poorly, but he makes a few decent points.  To people who aren't used to Ryan's style, his choice of words do seem harsh, even though we know his tone is not always reflective of his opinions.  However, I disagree with his rant on Batman, where he totally misread what Ryan said about people being overhyped for the game when he thought (and truthfully) that there was no real precedent for the hype.  He never bashed the game.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Adamantium
@Brendan said:
" I don't see why everyone is jumping down this guys thoat.  He may have worded the article poorly, but he makes a few decent points.  To people who aren't used to Ryan's style, his choice of words do seem harsh, even though we know his tone is not always reflective of his opinions.  However, I disagree with his rant on Batman, where he totally misread what Ryan said about people being overhyped for the game when he thought (and truthfully) that there was no real precedent for the hype.  He never bashed the game. "
While I don't know if you're referring specifically to my post, I hope you realize that I was just giving him a taste of his own medicine. If you think I'm being serious you should know that.  :)
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rayfield

I think it's general knowledge that Ryan Davis presents himself as a bit of an ass, but whatever. I think I remember him saying once that when he was 13, he rode his bike around  with a boombox strapped to the back of it blasting Star Wars Disco at loud volume for the simple reason that "it's retarded". If he's that dedicated to 'ass-ery', then more power to him.

@Adamantium
said:

fkn lol
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Expletive

Once again someone who can't seem to understand the difference between opinion/taste and someone stating what they think is a fact. 

Do I always agree with Ryan and And Jeff's opinions? 
No I don't, but part of what I love about GiantBomb is that they have no other agenda, then to tell you what THEY think about the games that THEY care about, or think are important enough to cover.

Yes they're opinionated, and yes they might come off as assholes to the untrained ear.  

But that's why we love Ryan, Vinny, Jeff and Brad. 
If you can't handle it Fuck You. 
My heart belongs to GiantBomb.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Well, I do feel uncomfortable about the staff would write off a game as "not good" after not even playing a game or just playing two levels like House of the Dead: Overkill. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Mr. Davis, but there are topics that I don't agree with on.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By mikemcn

Im thinking its time for a lynching.... 

No wait, snap out of it mike, control yourself.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By izzygraze

Sounds like a lot of fanboy speak.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Reuben

and so were dealing with people who are butt hurt. great!

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rayfield
@Rayfield said:
"I think it's general knowledge that Ryan Davis presents himself as a bit of an ass, but whatever. I think I remember him saying once that when he was 13, he rode his bike around  with a boombox strapped to the back of it blasting Star Wars Disco at loud volume for the simple reason that "it's retarded". If he's that dedicated to 'ass-ery', then more power to him.

@Adamantium
said:

fkn lol "

Hey Ryan! Get this image on a Giant Bomb T-shirt, STAT!