Avatar image for alucardalacarte
AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

I gotta ask why everyone has started the hate on QTE? The alternative is to just sit and watch the cinematics in a game, this keeps you involved in the game, and lets your character interact with enemies in such a way that would be incredibly difficult to program into the game.
I can understand it when it comes to something like Force Unleashed because they put it so far out of the way that you have to ignore what's happening onscreen to hit it effectively.
But what's the problem, community?

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

If they are implemented well, a la God of War, then I have no qualms with them. If they are implemented in a shitty fashion, a la Force unleashed, then I do have a problem with them.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

I don't mind then on God of War, I can't say I like them anymore, but I don't mind them in it at all, but most games add them when they aren't necessary at all, and it is really dumb.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

They are one of the most annoying parts of "gameplay" and I would be glad to see them go extinct...there are a few exceptions (such as the GoW series), but overall I find them to be terrible.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By oraknabo

IMO, we need two different names for two totally different things. There are the Shemnue/RE4-style QTEs that make cutscenes more interactive and the GOW-style ones that are basically just an advanced combo system. The second was also used in RE4 for the fights with the giants, but most QTEs in that game are the cutscene type. Both can be done well and have an impact on the gameplay but done badly, they are just huge annoyances.

I think the Ubisoft Naruto games have used the first style pretty well in the big battles. I would like to see them done more in a branching way where there are a few different outcomes based on your reactions than just total failure for missing one event.

I think the other should just be optional. In GOW it can be a quick way of killing a big creature, but there can be a different way to kill it as well or you get multiple chances to do it over.

I think the game I like these in least was Mercenaries 2. I like the idea of it being hard to take over a tank, but since you get the chance  take tanks and helicopters so often in the game, it gets old quick and works against the "do anything you want and do it big" feel of the game.

hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By hendersonman

I dont mind them most of the time, except sometimes they get into the way of a great cinematic. And other times they pop up so fast and give you very little time to react. Resident Evil 4 was one of the worst in that regards. I dont know how many times I failed at that stupid knife fight.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

Exactly, so many people think everyone wants 'interactive' everything, and by adding a stupid fucking QTE in places they shouldn't be, they claim you're always in control of 'gameplay' even in cutscenes, and they always fail at how its executed. Like I said the God of War games are about the only ones I don't mind QTE's in, but I honestly wouldn't mind if they were gone all together in everything,

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Is it seriously this time of the month again?  I didn't realize it had been that long since a QTE thread was up.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

I don't really mind it, but some times, if you press the wrong button you get screwed, but that is poorly made QTE. As I said, I don't hate it a bit.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Black_Rose

I can't say i hate them, unless they're extremely repetitive

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

QTE's are poor design, simply put. A game should rarely have to fall back on cut scenes, and if they do, they should be interesting enough to not require some arbitrary method of getting the player 'involved'. Tapping a seemingly mindless series of colored buttons is not fun unless the name of the game is Rock Band.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The problem I have with them is that they seem so detached  from what is actually happening on screen. If I felt like the buttons I was pressing were actually controlling what was happening on screen, they'd be fine, but that isn't the case.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#13  Edited By Dimsey

I like the idea but most of the time I don't like the implementation because I'm too busy looking at what buttons I'm supposed to press I often miss out on the cool stuff said button presses results in, which can suck.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brukaoru
hendersonman said:
"I dont mind them most of the time, except sometimes they get into the way of a great cinematic. And other times they pop up so fast and give you very little time to react. Resident Evil 4 was one of the worst in that regards. I dont know how many times I failed at that stupid knife fight."
I actually think RE4 did one of the best implementations of QTEs. I failed a few times on the knife fight, but I believe that is partly to blame on the PS2 port of the game, I played the GameCube version and the QTEs were much smoother, actually working when you hit the button in time.
hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By hendersonman
brukaoru said:
"hendersonman said:
"I dont mind them most of the time, except sometimes they get into the way of a great cinematic. And other times they pop up so fast and give you very little time to react. Resident Evil 4 was one of the worst in that regards. I dont know how many times I failed at that stupid knife fight."
I actually think RE4 did one of the best implementations of QTEs. I failed a few times on the knife fight, but I believe that is partly to blame on the PS2 port of the game, I played the GameCube version and the QTEs were much smoother, actually working when you hit the button in time."
It was worse on the PS2? I never played that version. So I cant imagine it being worse.
AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AkumaX

Shenmue was the first and only game (aside from the sequel) to do them well in such an obvious way. Mirror's Edge has them, but they're not obvious (such as when enemies' weapons turn red). I think that's the next step.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By diz

I agree with MattyFM. I think they destroy any immersion I have in a game by ramming home the fact that I need to press certain buttons. The very nature of the QT "gameplay" seems trivial and disconnected.

Sure, it may be more difficult to program immersive interactive sequences and even compelling cut-scenes in a game, but doing things the "easy way" tends to lead to mediocrity.
Avatar image for alucardalacarte
AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

RE:4 is a perfect example, that whole knife fight, which I had no problem with, would've been impossible to do in-game. Sadly I can't think of any other than GoW to do it well even though I started this whole mess...how embarassing!
Jakob-Yet no one seems to mind.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By dsplayer1010

If they're done well, like in God of War, they're fine. Uncharted has you using them fight the final boss, which sucks.