Have y'all ever romanced someone of the same sex in a game?

• 143 results
RX_78_2_Ver_Ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By RX_78_2_Ver_Ka

Are there any mainstream RPGs outside of Bioware games that actually let you go for a same-sex relationship, though? The only one that comes to mind is Persona 2 Innocent Sin and it seems to come so out of left field at the very end of the game after my main character was already pretty well established with Maya.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By gamefreak9

Thumbs up for the lesbo scene in ME3!

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By clstirens

Poll seems skewed in a way I don't feel right answering.

Barring maybe the sims, I've never had a male character romance another male character in a game. However, the games I have played where this is an option is limited to Sims, Kotor, Mass Effect 2 (only one I played through), and fable 1-3.

It's just never been interested in having such a relationship because the options have never seemed like legitimate characterizations for me. If, for example, I had played AS Gay Tony (as opposed to Louise) and had to choose between my current love interest, or partying/coke, that would be a fun side story. Otherwise? No interest, but I've never been squeamish about it.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By tread311

I haven't but it was fun to mess with Yosuke and Kanji in P4.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By UlquioKani

I wished you could romance Thane in ME2, he was the best romance in the game and I only discovered that during my play through as a lady. Garrus was awesome as well. I've recently found that I prefer playing as ladies as they seem to usually have better voice actors, or at least preferable ones. So in Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I did have a lot of same sex relationships. If I was playing as a dude on Dragon, I probably would have romanced Zevran, he was a really interesting character.

Also, to the people saying Traynor was terrible, I couldn't agree more. With the exception of Dragon Age 2, the female-female relationships have been less interesting compared to the male-male ones in Bioware games.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By blackichigo

I cant romance guys in games. If I play a guy, he is as straight as an arrow. If I play a girl, she is always a lesbian.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#107  Edited By monkeyking1969
@BaconGames said:

By my logic, playing characters that are heterosexual because they reflect how I am in terms of sexual orientation leads me to deliberately avoid starting relations with a character of the same sex. I don't think that's homophobic at all so I went with that but I'm okay with other people maybe thinking otherwise. Just wanted to err on the side of full disclosure.

If you deliberately avoid something, not merely accidentally or circumstantially avoid something, but rather you go out of your way to avoid something - that is phobic by definition.  Now is such an action in this case homophobic? Maybe not, but it is phobic.
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Turambar: Well if Witcher 2's excluded all of the retarded Bioware subplots and conveniences etc certainly fall into the category of "dumb," the thing with Witcher 2 is it seems like a genuine mature relationship that isn't hinged on some 14 year old reading a walkthrough on how to get characters to bone.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By blackichigo

@MonkeyKing1969: I don't know about that. I don't want to go to a football game. I'm not scared of football and i realize there are people who love football. I don't actively hate it and I'm not going to try to prevent you from loving it. I just love baseball so much more.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#110  Edited By monkeyking1969
@clstirens said:

Barring maybe the sims, I've never had a male character romance another male character in a game. However, the games I have played where this is an option is limited to Sims, Kotor, Mass Effect 2 (only one I played through), and fable 1-3.

It's just never been interested in having such a relationship because the options have never seemed like legitimate characterizations for me. 

I think this is why coming up with examples for this question is more difficult.  The romance options for male NPC characters in games are often skewed to make them unlikely choices.  In Mass Effect 2 most of the male characters are less human aliens, not the very humanoid aliens.  Also, so many of the male characters in ME are standoffish, childish, or just not allowed as choices.   Dragon Age was a bit better in that respect providing more choices, but even so aside form Sims there are few games outside of RPGs that even allow choice or make the choice meaningful.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Meowshi

@AlexW00d said:

Ugh. Can you post this on the beta site so I can flag it?

What a nice and convenient way of saying "take away my flagging privileges I plan on abusing them!"

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By UlquioKani

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

@clstirens said:

It's just never been interested in having such a relationship because the options have never seemed like legitimate characterizations for me.

I think this is why coming up with examples for this question is more difficult. The romance options for male NPC characters in games are often skewed to make them unlikely choices. In Mass Effect 2 most of the male characters are less human aliens, not the very humanoid aliens. Also, so many of the male characters in ME are standoffish, childish, or just not allowed as choices. Dragon Age was a bit better in that respect providing more choices, but even so aside form Sims there are few games outside of RPGs that even allow choice or make the choice meaningful.

I disagree with you on the male options being skewed to be unlikely choices. I think the Male options in Mass Effect 2 excluding perhaps Jacob were better than the female options.

Also, because I am a heterosexual male, I was mostly looking at the female options for romance in my first play through of Mass Effect 2 and as a result didn't know how good the male options were until I played as a female. I think it's less that the male options are not as good but rather that personal sexual preferences tend to lead us towards the female options. When I was forced to choose a male romance option in my play through as a lady, I found them to be far more preferable. Also, I am speaking only about the romance aspects of the characters. The female characters in Mass Effect 2 were great.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Jeust

I'm not gay or bissexual, and in game i tend to mimic my real life behaviour.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#114  Edited By GunstarRed

Loads of dudes in Fable 2. I think I was trying to get an achievement. Probably doesn't count, but in Mass effect I'm all about doing alien dudes.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By JoeyRavn

Yeah, sure. Why not? I don't have a problem with playing a character that's *gasp* different from me in real life. I don't complain about playing a master ninja or the Chosen One. Why would I have any problem with a romance option?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Spoonman671
@JoeyRavn said:

Yeah, sure. Why not? I don't have a problem with playing a character that's *gasp* different from me in real life. I don't complain about playing a master ninja or the Chosen One. Why would I have any problem with a romance option?

The rest of us are master ninjas/Chosen One(s). Don't condescend to us because we're superior.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Turambar

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Turambar: Well if Witcher 2's excluded all of the retarded Bioware subplots and conveniences etc certainly fall into the category of "dumb," the thing with Witcher 2 is it seems like a genuine mature relationship that isn't hinged on some 14 year old reading a walkthrough on how to get characters to bone.

Regardless of the maturity of the relationship, within the context of this thread, the game still doesn't apply. There isn't player agency in romancing, as Trish is predefined as Geralt's love interest. There is only player agency in determining who to fuck, and the game itself also has some side quests specifically designed to get you more sex scenes, making that part not that much better than what you're criticizing ME for.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By GalacticPunt

My wood-elf lady in Dragon Age: Origins had a committed relationship with Lyriana the ginger rogue. I think they were still sending each other love letters in Awakening.

I believe in the original Fable, I was straight-married in one town, and gay-married in another. Pretty forgettable "romance" in that series.

Tried to get some kind of hate-fuck thing going with default bearded Hawke and Fenris in Dragon Age II, but made some wrong choices and it never worked out.

If it seems interesting in a role-playing game, I'll do it. It's just a game, after all. Don't be so suburban!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Hunter5024 said:

@Brodehouse: I don't think that's right. There's a lot of different conversations we could be talking about, but in the one I'm thinking of there was either a flirty heart option, or a red option, and when I chose the red option my Hawke was a dick and Anders got mad at me. Also I don't think there's ever a choice in that game where Hawke actually gives a one word answer like "No" because it clashed with their divergent personalities mechanic.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure it was arrows, not red.

I actually got it backwards, I think. I'm referring to the very first time he propositions you, when your only options are two hearts and a broken one. Anders asks if he's making you uncomfortable, if you hit the broken one, Hawke knits his/her brows and says "Yes." Maybe says it a little harshly too, but it's still pretty simple. Most people don't, because they've been taught by years of BioWare games to play like sociopaths and tell everyone what they want to hear in order to get the most rewards. That's why everyone went nuts over Anders 'making them gay' because there's no way to let him down without bumming him out or changing the topic (unlike every other companion, Anders initiates it), and rather than just rip the bandaid clean they go "That's surprising..." and wind up with a flirty Anders.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Sayishere

i sexed up fisto the robot, or was it the other way round.....

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Turambar said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Regardless of the maturity of the relationship, within the context of this thread, the game still doesn't apply. There isn't player agency in romancing, as Trish is predefined as Geralt's love interest. There is only player agency in determining who to fuck, and the game itself also has some side quests specifically designed to get you more sex scenes, making that part not that much better than what you're criticizing ME for.

Well one part is just hookers at which point there's not any bullshit relationship dialogue in the first place; the other isn't based on some weird affinity relationship point system (whether hidden or opaque) and still seems like a fairly legitimate relationship, not an artificial one.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By warxsnake

FEMSHEP

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Turambar

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Turambar said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Well one part is just hookers at which point there's not any bullshit relationship dialogue in the first place; the other isn't based on some weird affinity relationship point system (whether hidden or opaque) and still seems like a fairly legitimate relationship, not an artificial one.

You beat up what's her name from the Blue Stripes, and now she wants to bone you. That's not a "legitimate relationship". I never did go down the other route, but don't you have sex with some elf girl that feels indebted to you, as well as some succubus? I loved Witcher 2, but you're giving it way too much credit in the "well done romance" department.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AlexW00d

@Meowshi said:

@AlexW00d said:

What a nice and convenient way of saying "take away my flagging privileges I plan on abusing them!"

Or what it really means is I don't think this poll with very clearly loaded answers is appropriate content. Also you probably don't understand how flagging works if you think that I could possibly abuse them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Turambar: Ultimately it's still a game and thus still artificial; I'll eventually play Iorveth's path whenever I upgrade computers and can answer the second point. The point isn't that the Witcher 2 is perfect it's simply less stupid and less arbitrary than Bioware's style of crap. You also can help Vex out of some disturbing situations in the first act, the main point here is that it is all based on events occurring and not random conversation selections, which does seem like a better foundation for a relationship especially in a fantastical world; in the absence of a dating sim I think that's the best you can hope for.

Edit: A succubus is a succubus; I don't really find that relevant to the overall construct.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By MiniPato

I tried romancing Kanji, but the game wouldn't let me.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Yes because achievements.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Clonedzero

in dragonage origins i was trying to be friends with that elf assassin guy and we ended up having sex, i dunno how it happened.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#129  Edited By Hunter5024

@Brodehouse: Yeah I just looked it up and that's the conversation I was thinking of. I really think that specific exchange could have been handled better, I can conceive of about 3 different options that would've let your character turn him down without coming off rude and (in the male's case) a tad homophobic.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130  Edited By Animasta

@AlexW00d said:

@Meowshi said:

@AlexW00d said:

Or what it really means is I don't think this poll with very clearly loaded answers is appropriate content. Also you probably don't understand how flagging works if you think that I could possibly abuse them.

how is it loaded?

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By wmoyer83

I accidentally all of Cortez in ME3

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By QuistisTrepe

No, I was concerned that same sex romance scenes like the ones in Mass Effect would emasculate me, so i went back to playing Final Fantasy X-2 where female characters try on different outfits, that's more manly.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By BaneFireLord

All my New Vegas characters are basically Jack Harkness when it comes to sexuality. Men? Women? Robots? Don't care, had sex, got Well Rested bonus.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By buft

I was just trying to be nice to you Fenris, you where depressed i was lonely, i said " you arent that bad" then you kissed me... why dude? i was trying to tap merrill

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Meowshi

@AlexW00d said:

@Meowshi said:

@AlexW00d said:

Or what it really means is I don't think this poll with very clearly loaded answers is appropriate content.

Imagine if you had just posted this in the first place!

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Neonie

@Animasta said:

WHY DO YOU HATE LOVE

Because LOVE IS OVER!

(...I am very sorry)

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By deadmanforking

When I re-played Mass Effect 3 with my male Shep, I got it on with Cortez.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#138  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yup, my Female Hawke had impulse sex with Isabela in Dragon Age 2.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I had many husbands in Fable.

I wanted to bone Kanye West in Mass Effect 2 but I wasn't allowed :(

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It's a video game so fuck it why not my FemShep needs love too.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By nightriff

Yes because whenever I rock a female...just it seems weird to me that she would be "dominated" by a man, these are strong female protagonists and the usual male choice is a weak male, that doesn't fit in my book. Now if there was a stronger male counterpart to my female character then I would definitely go down that path but hooking up with Jacob, Kaiden, Alistar (ones coming to the top of my head) just didn't mesh with the protagonists I created. Now I don't think I've played a game where you can be man on man (elf from DA:O was a whore and wasn't worth it) so I feel bad that I am always a lesbian ....dammit I'm a horrible person.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Age Origins, man.

Female MC and Leliana.

Because redheads are hot!

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By FlarePhoenix

No, but I've only played one game which had any sort of romancing (Persona 3) and same-sex relationships aren't an option in that game. I tend to play as females in games that give me a choice, so I'm not entirely sure what it would mean if I had them pursue another female.