• 128 results
#1 Posted by Masterherox (59 posts) -

I was reading what some people had to say about what the Wii U needs to survive, and one of the biggest ideas was that it needed a system seller which got me thinking...

I have never bought a system for one game. I've bought them for a couple of games, or for the promise of games in the future , but I have never personally seen any one game as a system seller. I have to believe they exist, but I've never seen any one game that would make me buy a system.

So now I ask all of you: Have you ever bought a system for one game? Why?

#2 Posted by Johnny_Sailor (12 posts) -

I've currently got an Xbox One pre-ordered just for the new Forza. I'm sure other games will come along that I'll enjoy, but I'll still be happy if Forza is the only game I ever get for it.

#3 Posted by laserguy (432 posts) -

i bought a 360 for dead rising. ima go play it now.

#4 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Twice. I bought a PSP for P3P and a Vita for Persona 4 Golden.

#5 Posted by winsol (73 posts) -

I bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4, then two months later they announced it was coming out for the ps2 aswell. Was not a happy bunny. Still, got to play some other great games on the system so was worth it in the end.

#6 Posted by Armoes (64 posts) -

After reading about Halo and then playing Halo in a store (outdoor beach level, in the warthog), I bought the original Xbox because I wanted to play that. Of course I got games for it after that / rented games. But no Halo, no buy.

(Interestingly, I'm not really that into Halo anymore. I had my fun with it, now it feels like: been there, done that.)

#7 Edited by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

I mostly initially bought my PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4.

#8 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I bought my Neo Geo for Samurai Showdown 2. Still have it to this day.

#9 Edited by afabs515 (1003 posts) -

Playstation 2 for kingdom hearts

#10 Edited by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

A PS3 for Tools of Destruction, but I knew MGS4 was also on the horizon.

#11 Posted by Ares42 (2556 posts) -

I bought the Wii U to play Monster Hunter. That doesn't mean it's the only game I'll ever play on the system though, but it's probably not gonna be more than 2-3 games/year.

#12 Posted by vikingdeath1 (925 posts) -

I got my PS3 originally for Infamous, alot of games have come since then but at the time I had played Prototype and Infamous just looked so much better.

@nux said:

Twice. I bought a PSP for P3P and a Vita for Persona 4 Golden.

This too.

#13 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

I Had no interest in console gaming until Gears of War 2 was announced as a 360 exclusive, i loved Gears 1 on pc and wanted to play Gears 2 and thats why i own a 360 today. Not long after i changed my attitude about console gaming and eventually switched to my 360 as my primary gaming system

#14 Posted by FLStyle (4532 posts) -

I've been very close to buying a Vita just for Persona 4 Golden, but I've held off so far.

#15 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1691 posts) -

Well, I bought my PS3 last year mainly jut because I wanted to play The Last of Us, but there were enough other games I was interested in that I didn't feel like I was literally only getting it for one game.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (35826 posts) -

Any Nintendo system for Fire Emblem.

#17 Posted by n11n12 (101 posts) -

Twice

I bought the Xbox 360 just to play The Orange Box. I had bought Half Life 2 for the original XBox a few weeks before without knowing anything about it, played it, loved it, and then found out about episodes one and two. The 360 had already been out a few years and I had no intentions of buying it before then.

I also bought an ipad mini in January when I heard Frozen Synapse was coming out for it.

#18 Edited by rickyyo (122 posts) -

I bought a PS3 for Ratchet and Clank. That is it. Eventually I branched out and picked up some downloadable games. But, since nobody was online with a ps3 and everyone I knew was on an Xbox I stuck with that for the rest of the console crap.

#19 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

360 for Mass Effect.

#20 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

PS3 for Lair, thank god other games came out because that was disappointing as hell

#21 Posted by Hone_McBone (95 posts) -

Genesis/megadrive for Streets of Rage 2, Dreamcast for Marvel vs Capcom 2, PS2 for Gran Turismo 4. A friend bought a Saturn just for Guardian Heroes.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

A Gamecube for Metroid Prime. There were other games I had a little interest in, but really I wanted Metroid Prime.

It did not disappoint.

#23 Edited by itspizza (427 posts) -

Forza 2 made me reallllllly want a 360. I wouldn't say I bought the system just for that game but it pushed me to save up for one as soon as I could.

#24 Posted by refriender (2 posts) -

PS1 for FF7. I actually rented a PS1 and my roommates rented that game. After returning the system and game, I promptly drove to Best Buy and purchased both.

#25 Posted by Carlsen (34 posts) -

I bought an Ipad mini mainly to play Super Hexagon.

#26 Posted by Doskias (300 posts) -

I didn't buy a PS3 only for Infamous, but that was the main thing that drew me in.

#27 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
#28 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

PS3 for Lair, thank god other games came out because that was disappointing as hell

this made me laugh

#29 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

No, but I just might if GTA V doesn't show up on the PC.

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

I bought a 3DS pretty much exclusively for Fire Emblem, but the rest of the games it has aren't half bad either.

#31 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

More than one. Well I ended up getting more than one game and more than one game interested me at launch which added to the value but even if they were not available I would have still bought them for one game.

N64 - Super Mario 64 - Rented the Japanese console and game for $25/day prior to being available in the US.

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure - Japanese imported console and games. $~700 with 3 games and tax. By far, the most expensive launch entry for me.

Xbox - Halo - Cheapest launch price since the PSX for me since it came out in the USA first.

#32 Posted by rachelepithet (1329 posts) -

I believe the Super Mario 64 demo played at KB Toys led me to want the system, yet I never owned or played it. By the time my folks got me a 64, Goldeneye was out and that's all I played for a while, then Rush 2, WWF,

#33 Posted by falserelic (5277 posts) -

I think we all have....

#34 Posted by Pie_Romancer (7 posts) -

I bought a new pc just so I could play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Man, that game turned out to be such a bummer. It wasn't all bad though since it got me into playing WoW.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (35826 posts) -

I bought a 3DS pretty much exclusively for Fire Emblem, but the rest of the games it has aren't half bad either.

Same here, even if I've only played four games for it.

#36 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I bought a 3DS entirely for Animal Crossing, though 2 years early. I basically bought my N64 just for Mario 64 since I didn't wanna play Pilotwings.

PS2 is a maybe, since only GTA:Vice City motivated me to buy it, but I knew I'd be playing plenty of other games on it too.

#37 Posted by HouseOfBalloons (41 posts) -

I had a PSX when I was young, but ended up selling it for some reason. When Final Fantasy 9 came out, I had to get another just to play it. Too bad I was disappointed by it after playing the hell out of FF7 and FF8.

#38 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Bought a Gamecube for Rogue Leader. That and Tony Hawk 3.

My left thumb is still recovering from that.

#39 Edited by hacksword (39 posts) -

No. Sometimes I might upgrade my computer because of a game, but I haven't bought a whole console for a game.

#40 Posted by BatmanBatman (311 posts) -

Sort of... I bought my PS3 initially for MGS4 and Demon's Souls..

#41 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

I bought a Xbox 360 for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Totally worth it! I played it for six months to one year, and loved it to death.

Before it, I bought a Gameboy Color for Pokemon Gold and also loved it.

#42 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

Playstation 2 for kingdom hearts

Yup, same here.

#43 Edited by Hector (3352 posts) -

Id say the Xbox 360, I originally bought it because I wanted to continue playing the Halo games. Also Nintendo handhelds, I buy them for Pokemon.

#44 Posted by StarvingGamer (7915 posts) -
#45 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I picked up the x360 in ~2010 for Halo (had played Halo CE on the first xbox, felt nostalgic).

That turned out to be a bad idea though >.>. The three consoles I have (x360, PS3, Wii U) are all at a max of ~30hrs of games played on them.

#46 Edited by Phoenix654 (259 posts) -

I got the GameCube for Smash Bros. Melee. I found other stuff for it that I liked, but that was the main reason I picked it up.

#47 Posted by Legion_ (1253 posts) -

Bought an Xbox 360 for Oblivion. Probably will buy a WiiU for Wind Waker HD.

#48 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

believe I grabbed a ps3 specifically for metal gear solid 4.

#50 Edited by Vermisean (154 posts) -

I bought a Wii U, for what I must assume was Zombi U because very few other games have come out for that system that I haven't played elsewhere.

Also a PSP for Final Fantasy Tactics.