Have you ever bought a used console and was it problem free?

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Have you ever bought a used console and was it problem free? (126 votes)

No, I've only bought new consoles. 24%
Yes, It worked perfectly fine 65%
Yes, but it had some issues (load fan, disc reading, died, etc.) 6%
Other(?) Please explain below. 6%

Hello all, I'm thinking of buying a Wii U for pretty much Mario Maker and looking to save a little bit of money doing so. I've typically only bought new because I like my controllers crisp and clean and to have a warranty. Wondering what your experience is with buying used consoles whether it was from a certain chain, internet, or shady back alley drug trade and if it lasted.

Please tell me about your used console purchases or why I should just spend the extra to go new.

• 
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought a used PS3 Slim last year from a pawn shop and haven't had a problem. The controller's a bit janky in cold weather (occasional random button inputs until the controller warms up in my hands), but the console itself is problem-free save for cosmetic scratches on the case.

Of course, I prefer new in general for obvious reasons, but I've never had trouble with used. The only console I wouldn't buy used is an early-model 360. Just make sure there's a reliable return policy, and you should be fine.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Frybird

Bought a used PS3 Slim (with replaced hard drive) from a work colleague and a PSP from a friend. Both do fine. The PS3 Controllers were a bit gross (although i was warned about that), but do not seem to have unusual issues.

(The PSP was like a few months old when i got it though)

That said, i'd probably would be hesitant to buy used electronics from someone i do not know personally.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

There are so many great console deals these days, I'm wondering how much you'd actually be saving. Really not worth it for me.

That said, I did buy a used Gamecube around 2008 and though I never used it that much, everything is totally fine with it. Nintendo consoles I'd probably be more confident about buying used cause their shit lasts.

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought a 3ds and it works well. But it was from a friend and i tested it throughly before buying it.

Had a friend who bought a ps3 and it was slightly wonky, It had a 80% chance of reading a disc but sometimes screws up. But reseating the disc would usually fix it.

I have had bad luck with hardware (PC) and i would say the warranty usually gives a nice peace of mind and no weird problems. For games used is okay for me. Never really had any issues

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Teddie

I bought my Wii U used, and it has been totally fine. It was already cleaned, and they put it all back in the original packaging so it felt like it was new. Still wiped off the controller down with some disinfectant (probably didn't need to, but you never know). I also bought a 3DS second hand and I guess the guy forgot to properly wipe the memory card because there was a photo of an old man sleeping with "Sexy and I know it" scrawled across it.

Nintendo also sell refurbished Wii U's for $200, and those have a 12-month warranty, if that sounds safer to you (I think this is US only, though).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Every 360 I bought was used and problem free. Just bought a used X1 for $200 without a controller and it works fine as well. All of these instances were on craigslist. My PS2 and PS4 were retail new though.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes a PS2 many years ago but I was the asshole that went in with one of each type of disc media the PS2 supported and tested 3-4 consoles before finding one that read everything. The PS2 was a total crapshoot on the used market so the effort was worth it to me at the time.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost every console I've bought in the last few generations has been used:

• Dreamcast - disc drive cover occasionally reads as being open and kicks you out of the game (I think this is a common issue?)
  • Gamecube - no issues
  • PS2 - no issues
  • Xbox - disc drive is crappy first-generation and will often refuse to open (common problem with this console with the lousy drive)
  • Xbox 360 - red ringed about 1-2 years after I got it but it was still able to be repaired and refurbished by Microsoft, and has worked fine ever since
  • PS3 - no issues
  • PS4 - all good so far
  • Xbox One - all good so far

I'd say I've done pretty well. I try to cherry-pick nice consoles where people have taken some care with them (I find that people who keep the box for the system tend to give a crap about keeping them clean, but your mileage may vary).

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wallee321

I bought both a 360 and Xbox one off ebay piecemeal and both worked fine. The 360 red ringed but that was after 6 years or so.

Have you checked the Nintendo store it might still have refurbished units for sale, I doubt you find them much cheaper($225 or $200 with just Nintendo Land) than that.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Nintendo also sell refurbished Wii U's for $200, and those have a 12-month warranty, if that sounds safer to you (I think this is US only, though).

Have you checked the Nintendo store it might still have refurbished units for sale, I doubt you find them much cheaper($225 or $200 with just Nintendo Land) than that.

I did not know Nintendo did this! Thank you!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I bought one of those refurbished Wii Us from Nintendo a year and a half ago for $200. It arrived in great condition and has worked just fine.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By jadegl

Yes, my husband and I bought a used PS3 (original 60 GB model) from a seller on Ebay. I think it was 2007, I just I can't recall the exact date, but it was a bit after we bought our XBox 360. It worked great until a few years ago when it died. We had it repaired, because we desperately wanted to keep the original model at first, but after another year or so, it died and we decided it wasn't worth the money to try and repair again. I think, in total, it ended up lasting 6 or 7 years. And besides those issues, which arose long after we purchased it, the console was solid and didn't give us any problems.

I don't know if I would again, the risks are real and even when we first got the PS3, I was super worried. But it worked out.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I bought a refurbished PS1 a year or so after release. It worked fine, and I only stopped using it once I bought a PS2.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne said:
@teddie said:

@wallee321 said:

I did not know Nintendo did this! Thank you!

Also, the majority of people who have gone this route have reported that the refurbished units basically look and feel like brand new so it's one of the more recommended ways to obtain a Wii U. If you do have any interest in Splatoon and Smash Bros. though, there's going to be a bundle around Black Friday for $250 (Wii U + those games) you might want to look at.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To go along with InstantRyan above, here is a link to more information about the bundle with Splatoon and Smash Bros.: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/DoS0ECYyNPuy7RBETWfsWVzVCj9A0525 . I think if you want to get a refurbished unit, I would recommend that option. Like others have said, I have not read where that option wasn't a good one. I don't think you'll be disappointed in Super Mario Maker. The game has been fantastic every time I have sat down to play. It's a game that rewards you for your efforts. I know that for me, realizing that somebody played a course that I created and gave me a star for my efforts was both uplifting and amazing at the same time. On a side note, you may also want to take a look at USB storage at some point in the future. I purchased a 2 TB model for around $100 that I thought was a good deal at the time.

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blade_r

This is an interesting question I am excited to see the answers to as well. I am thinking about buying an Xbox One so I can play Killer Instinct and am also trying to save as much money as I can. Ill have to buy the console (which I assume will be at least 300 no matter what) ill have to pay at least 40 for a season of KI characters (I also plan on getting both seasons plus 3 when its available) and ill have to pay 40 for a Live Subscription, so I am thinking about buying a used XB1 to kind of reduce costs a little bit but I too want to make sure its not a complete joke and end up getting a defective console lol

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first PS3 I bought was a used 60gb back in '08. Worked fine up until holiday '11 when I sold it to get a slim model.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I bought a used 360 back in 2007. It worked fine. Sold it to my brother-in-law later on and it lasted til 2013.

I also have a used 40GB PS3 which still works, though the fans sound like a damn fighter jet if I play more graphics-heavy games on it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Trilogy

I bought a used ps2 and gamecube years ago. There was nothing wrong with the systems, but they both came with 3rd party knock off controllers. The knockoff ps2 controller was actually pretty close to the real deal, but the gamecube knockoff was a piece of junk that has the worst sticks. I don't remember if it was stated in the amazon purchase what kind of controllers I was gonna get, but I guess I just assumed I would get regular ass real controllers.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deerokus

Of the three 360s I have owned, the only one still working is the second hand one I bought six years ago. The others were bought new and RROD'd within a few years.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used controllers are a waste of money as those seem to be already worn out for the most part. I've not had issues with used consoles though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I bought a used PS3 last year and other than the part where it didn't come with cords or a controller it has worked mostly fine.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Yep I bought my Wii U used for 200. Works great! Just go to a good place. Usually they offer returns on hardware within a certain amount of time.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought a used ps3, worked fine for about a year then I had this weird issue where the hud in game and the menu ui would sort of double up. Tried it again a couple years later and it works fine except for the controller which if I twist it a tiny bit it activates random buttons.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I bought a cheap PS3 slim off of cowboom and it's been no problem.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Bought a used launch 60gb PS3 from eBay once - and it was like 2009 at the time. Have it to this day and apart from sounding like a jet engine it still works.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i bought my PS3 used and it was fine. the controller was disgusting tho

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stealthoneill

I've bought a used PS3 and was perfect. Don't most stores offer warranty on these things? Haven't bought any second hand in a long time so unsure what is out there.

Also, from what I've seen (In the UK) the second hand prices for consoles aren't all that great when you consider the deals on offer with new consoles - especially this time of this year.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BladedEdge

I went about 2 years ago and bout a Vita from my LGS..a gamestop.

They didn't actually have any new ones, nope not a one. But they did have a used one, with the same 1 year warranty that would have come with the new system for, effectively, the same price as a new one. Its worked with no problems.

That is I think the only way I'd buy a used system at least for anywhere near full price, if the people selling offered me at least a year worth of warranty, and were big enough to know I could hold them too it. Given I've bought brand new systems that burned out on me 18 months after purchase (i.e. 6 months out of warranty) and I am thus familiar with the process (and cost) of sending in a broken system to Sony say and getting a refurbished replacement? I've been fine doing it that way.

Once you own a system, even if its new, its about, or was, half price to send it in for them to "Fix" (which is just them sending you a rebuilt system effectively). I know when my original Ps3 burned out, it was 150 to get fixed. It was 90 to get my PSP fixed, and so on. I.e. half the price they were charging for those systems at the time i sent them in. I didn't need anything to do this beyond what I would have had if I'd bought any of those systems used however.

That said, in general I buy new if I am going to buy. Its just easier and since the difference is price is often less then 5-10% of a new system, if I am already going to be spending 300-500$ (games included) I don't see a point saving 30 bucks.. (especially if I end up spending that 30 dollars to buy a gamestop or etc warranty..)

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive had the same amount of problems with new and used consoles.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

My very first 360 was a Core system that I nabbed from eBay, and it had a 20GB hard drive as an added bonus. I had no issues with it besides the red ring issue.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The first console I bought was a used PS2, from my Uncle; worked fine except it's an original model which means it scratches discs but on the bright side can play blue discs. I bought a refurbished PS2 later and it was a piece of shit, returned it and bought a new, stylish one which I still have and works perfectly fine. I bought a used Gamecube and it works totally fine; also Gamecubes are really inexpensive.

I have very little desire to buy a used console in the future but if the price difference is ridiculous enough then I may (eventual Wii U owner in 5 years or so).

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used controllers are a waste of money as those seem to be already worn out for the most part. I've not had issues with used consoles though.

I bought four wired xbox 360 controllers once, but that was from some gaming startup which ran out of money or something like that, they were fine (I'm still using them).

Actual second hand consoles I had trouble with a dodgy PS2, which failed to read most discs after a little while. No trouble with a japanese PSX and a european PsOne, both of which I bought shortly after my first PSX died.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a used ps2, it was all I could afford but it worked perfectly, I did have to guess the parental lock code on it (2,4,6,8) but other than that I never had any problems and it still works to this day.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I've bought two different PS3s on eBay and have had no problems with them. One was an original 60GB phat in 2008, the other a 160GB Slim in 2014

I went for the listings that seemed the most complete (came with box, original cables/controllers), had actual user-entered product descriptions (not just the auto-populated PS3 info or a boilerplate eBay store listing), and had good pictures illustrating condition/contents. Skipped anything promising a bunch of preinstalled games.

The 60GB model had a shallow scratch across the top, but I'm pretty sure that was something shown in the photos and I went with it anyway, for the price. Have had no technical problems with either.

Went with eBay for price/availability, saving a bit vs. buying used from Gamestop.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: I totally forgot about that site!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and I've had no problems with my Gamecube. My PS2 slim failed to read discs shortly after purchase but was under warantee and replaced. The replacement still goes. I've shifted two knackered 360s and for that I can only apologise. Except for the second one which went to someone who sold it immediately for more gambling debts.

I know some stupid people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I bought a used SNES from a garage sale roughly 12 years ago and it still works as of last weekend.

supazio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're buying from a reputable source, big box stores/newegg type places, just make sure to check the return policy and you should be fine.

From craigslist or a pawn shop, I'd probably want to turn it on and play around for a minute or two.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bought an Xbox One with the Kinect bundle last year during Black Friday that's been going strong since owning it. Got it plus 3 games for $350 and don't have any regrets.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo just before Mario Kart 8 came out and it's still doing fine. I typically don't like buying used hardware but it was only $200 compared to new which was I think $330 at the time. Condition was pretty much new anyway, save for some scuffs on the bottom but I'm pretty sure that was my bad for setting it on my nasty floor.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember my fat nor my slim PS3s having any problems. I never had to buy new ones because of hardware issues. I bought the slim because my fat PS3 was only the 40GB version. My Wii U has not had any problems, no gamepad issues like Jeff or Brad have been having.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done it multiple times and never had a single issue, the consoles I did it for were the 360 (launch era even and it never died!), Wii U, iPad, and Vita. Outside of some device scratches or non-pristine packaging it's been perfectly fine.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LeStephan

Just stay away from OG xboxes without knowing which discdrive is in there! Had to buy 3 of em before I got one with a proper philips drive, none of the others could read discs that were even slightly scratched.

My snes, dreamcast , neo geo pocket, megadrive, vectrex and psp were all bought used though, If you can see the thing in action and it seems fine and you feel good about it, its probably OK. Or if theres a proper money back guarantee or something similar in an actual store its always fine.

Also : cleaning alcohol + microfibre cloth is perfect for cleaning nasty used controllers .(i think I might mean rubbing alcohol, I use 99.9% isopropyl as it almost immediatly evaporates so it leaves no trace of anything).

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother and I got our 360 secondhand and never really had any issues with it.

Unless you count the fact that the gamertag was pyschokillerxxxx or something.

Not psychokiller. Pyscho.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I bought 2 old PS1s and 10 games on eBay for £10 once, a few years ago. The seller had obviously mucked things up (he'd ticked 'free delivery') and it probably cost him more to post than he got paid. The consoles work fine and came with 4 controllers (2 originals and 2 Dualshocks) , memory units and a carry bag.

The other side of the eBay experience was me buying a couple of PS2s which were both DOA. I got my money back eventually.

Around the time of the 360 launch GAME were selling used OG Xbox Crystals with warranty for £15-20. I ended up with 4 of them - They made great media centres.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#47  Edited By sammo21

Most of my consoles do fine. I had my launch PS3 die about 6-8 months ago. Compare that to my launch 360...which I've had 10 360 red rings. The worst part was this was during the time when so many people were claiming the RRoD was a fanboy made up thing...it was even regurgitated on the 1Up Show podcast which was super frustrating.

I bought a used launch Ps3 for about $100 and its still doing well.

Avatar image for streets_of_vlad
streets_of_vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only console I've ever bought used was a Dreamcast I picked up when I was a kid. Amazingly it still works and that was like...12 years ago.