• 80 results
#1 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -

So, for the first time in my many...many years of gaming (damn im getting old) I bought a game I already owned on another system. The game in case is Marvel VS Capcom 2 for PS3, which is half off at the moment ($7.49 or 6.99 euros), which I already had on the 360. Well technically its the third time I buy it since I used to have it on the DC. So now I have the same game on 2 systems, and the reason i got it was, well, its so cheap at the moment, I would rather A) play it with the ps3 controler and B) its one of those games I want to have "forever", and my ps3 is likely to outlive my (second) 360... dont get angry, its true :P

So, have you ever bought the same game on multiple systems, and if so, why?

#2 Posted by Jost1 (2225 posts) -

Prince of Persia (2008), both on 360 and then later PS3. I had traded in the 360 copy and I regretted it so I got it cheap on PS3 a year later.

#3 Posted by toorima (204 posts) -

I bought the orange box on 360 when it came out, then I bought it on the ps3 to play tf2 with a buddy, and later ended up buying it on a steam sale. So at one point I owned Orange box on three platforms, but now I have sold the ps3, so I own it on two platforms.

#4 Posted by Fudgeblood (222 posts) -

I re-purchased some of my Xbox 360 games for PC when I got my gaming PC (And then traded off all my Xbox 360 games or gave them away). But that's about it.

#5 Posted by HistoryInRust (6579 posts) -

Only once. Need for Speed Most Wanted. I owned it originally on the Xbox, then bought it again for the 360 about a year later. 

It was mostly for the achievements. Which says nothing about the game, because it is a great game.

#6 Posted by c1337us (5877 posts) -

Yeh several times. A whole bunch of multiplat 360 game I bought on PS3 when my first 360 died because I still wanted to play them. Bioshock, Oblivion etc. But most recently was Resident Evil 5. I originally bought it for PS3 when it came out but I bought it again a few weeks ago when I seen it brand new on special for 7 dollars. I dont really know why.

#7 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (372 posts) -

I have plenty of duplicates, but mostly on older game systems. 

On the topic of Marvel vs Capcom 2, I was in my local Play n Trade today and they had it listed at $79.99.  I think i'm going to get it on the playstation network instead.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (23197 posts) -

GTA4, for the ps3 initially then for the 360 for the DLC.
#9 Edited by MildMolasses (3189 posts) -

All of the GTA III based games I first bought it for PS2 when they got released. I never finished III or Vice City and traded them in. I bought them again for xbox when that bundle came out. Got San Andreas at launch, finished it and got rid of it. Then when all the Hot Coffee hooplah came about, it reminded me how great that game was, so I went and bought it for xbox
#10 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1195 posts) -

I bought Burnout 4 for the original Xbox and later when I had a 360 and saw it for $20 I picked it up. Also, I had bought Half Life 2 for the PC and then when the Orange Box came out I got that.

#11 Posted by Zaapp1 (691 posts) -

I try to avoid it, but I did get Guitar Hero II for PS2 and then later for X360, though that was improved a good deal, so I don't regret it.

#12 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -
@Zaapp1 said:
" I try to avoid it, but I did get Guitar Hero II for PS2 and then later for X360, though that was improved a good deal, so I don't regret it. "
i also got GH2 for 360 after owning it on ps2, i totally forgot that. I guess MvC2 wasnt the first >_>
#13 Posted by DrFidget (262 posts) -

Probably more but off the top of my head:

Batman Arkham Asylum got it for PS3, PC later off a Steam sale for points.

Shining Force for Genesis and Wii Virtual Console Just because it's awesome. (Have it in Sega compilations for PC, Dreamcast, and 360 also.)

Pokémon Snap, N64, thought I had lost it and got it on the Virtual Console, then found original cart.

Kirby 64. See Pokémon Snap.

Kirby’s Adventure. NES and VC because NES doesn’t work great anymore.

Braid. PC and 360 for double points.

Donkey Kong Country for SNES and GBC. No reason other than portable monkeys.

Final Fantasy VII. PS1 never finished it so I got it off the PSN thinking I might play it on my PSP… someday.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. N64 then got that GameCube one for preordering Wind Waker.

Myst. PC and got the Saturn version bundled with the console when buying a replacement Saturn off ebay.  

I need to be more responsible. 

#14 Posted by PureRok (4268 posts) -

Yep.

#15 Posted by StarFoxA (5256 posts) -

I have two copies of Marvel Ultimate Alliance because I wanted achievements.

#16 Edited by PenguinDust (12773 posts) -
Half-Life 2 on the PC when it came out originally, and The Orange Box on 360.  Also KOTOR on the original Xbox in 2003, but then I gave it away, so I repurchased it off Steam (PC) for $2.50.  EDIT: Oops, I forgot I have Saints Row 2 from the THQ sale off Steam in addition to my original PS3 copy.
#17 Posted by Valkyr (742 posts) -

Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles for the ps1 first and then the Dreamcast version

#18 Edited by Gruff182 (937 posts) -

I have Max Payne 1 + 2 on PS2 then fixed my PC and got it on there. I also have Mafia on PC and Xbox. Needless to say once I had the PC versions, I never looked back.

I also own Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Gurrerra on PC and PS3. Damn you Steam!!!

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

Morrowind... three times. Once for Xbox. Once on disc for PC after I decided the Xbox version wasn't doing the game justice. Once again on Steam as part of an Elder Scrolls pack sale for cheap.

I still never got into the game.

#20 Posted by MythDarK (578 posts) -

I bought Braid when it was on a Steam sale for 1$. Then I bought it for XBLA, because my Steam client decided to revolt against me and refused to boot for some odd reason. 
And also because I value console gaming over PC gaming nowadays.
#21 Posted by zudthespud (3327 posts) -

I have Burnout 2 on the Gamecube and the xbox, I have PC and 360 version of CoD4 and the PC and Gamecube version of NFSU2.

#22 Posted by Rumour (95 posts) -

I bought Dragon Age for the PS3 and PC.

#23 Posted by Liminality (450 posts) -

Orange box for PS3, and then years later when I got a good PC, I bought TF2... and some months ago bought Orange Box for PC.

#24 Posted by ZenaxPure (2584 posts) -

I'll be buying FF13 for 2 consoles so yeah, but even then someday I wish to buy prince of persia (2008) on the PS3 and L4D2 on steam for more achievements.

#25 Edited by Cerza (1678 posts) -

Yes I have. I bought Morrowind for the Xbox and the PC (twice for the PC). I bought Oblivion for the 360 and PC (twice for the PC). I bought Escape from Butcher Bay on the Xbox and PC. I bought DOOM 3 on PC and Xbox. I bought the first three Splinter Cell games on Xbox and PC (bought Chaos Theory twice on PC). I bought Borderlands on the PC, PS3, and 360. I bought Call of Duty 1, 2, and 4 on the PC and 360. I bought Sam and Max Season 1 on the PC and 360. I bought Battlefield 2 on PC and 360. I bought Bad Company on 360 and PS3. I bought The Simpson's Game on 360 and PS3. Yes I have played through all of them on each platform I bought them for. No I'm not crazy, or at least I keep telling myself so I can sleep at night.

#26 Posted by benjaebe (2870 posts) -

I ended up with Dragon Age: Origins on 360 and then bought it later on PC once I had built myself a decent rig.
Other than that, Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube and then PS2, and Resident Evil 5 on 360 and then PC.

#27 Posted by Von (330 posts) -

Yep, but the only one worth mentioning is Need For Speed Shift which I first bought for the 360, noticed that the 360 didn't support the wheel I had so I got it for the PC. Then I bought a PS3 that came bundled with it and finally I got it for my iPhone...

#28 Posted by Kowbrainz (949 posts) -

Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, on XBLA when I've had the N64 versions in good condition and ready to play for quite some time. Although I guess the XBLA versions gave easy achievements and had smoothened graphics.

#29 Posted by Doctorchimp (4160 posts) -

Orange Box on the 360 and PC

And I ended up getting Dragon Age on the 360....and then I decided I wanted hotkeys entertainment centers be damned so I went to Fry's and picked up the PC version, it was at discount though so I spent like 35? Maybe 40.

#30 Posted by Gaughan (97 posts) -

Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. 

Only problem might be that I've included collections into the mix. With Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, I have a original Mega Drive/Genesis copy, both came in Sonic Mega Collection on the Cube and lastly I bought both on XBLA.

Zelda:OoT I have the original, the free disc with Wind Waker and lastly came with the Zelda: Collector's Edition disc...

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Yeah I have GTA IV for Xbox 360 and PC. The PC version I bought to keep me busy on a plane flight and it did well. Unexpected bonus was doubling up on the achievements. Boo yeah. 

I also initially bought MW2 for the PS3 (because it sold out on the xbox), but then all my friends play the 360 version, so I traded it in and bought the 360 version. 

#32 Posted by CharlieTuna (325 posts) -

Bought the first skate for both PS3 and 360, bought it at launch for PS3 and then later traded it in, missed it and found a copy for like $5 on 360. 

OT but I also bought warhawk twice, retail (for the headset) and download (retail was delayed in europe). Amazing game.

#33 Posted by GunstarRed (5796 posts) -

A few.. a bunch of older games I have rebought on XBLA but I think loads of people do that. 

but Retail gamewise Bayonetta because it came with a gun, Tomb Raider legend, Lego Star Wars 2 because there was nothing else out at the time for the 360 and I really enjoyed them on the PS2 .  and Street Fighter IV  because of a steam sale.... I know there are others.

#34 Posted by JokerSmilez (1373 posts) -

I have the GBA versions of a bunch of games I own for other systems. Rock and Roll racing, Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past, Mario 3. I also have both the SNES and DS versions of Chrono Trigger. I have Jagged Alliance for the DS and PC, but I don't think my computer could run it anymore anyway.

I'm going to get MW2 for the PS3 when I finally get one (soon!), so I can play with my couple friends who don't have 360's. That would be the only "modern" game that would be for 2 different consoles, and not just an older game on a portable console.

#35 Posted by kennybaese (708 posts) -

Just virtual console stuff mostly.  And a couple Wii games that were multiplatform on other systems, I bought for PS3 when I bought one last year, though I don't know that they really count considering Wii versions of multiplat games tend to be way different.

#36 Posted by Venatio (4654 posts) -

Yes, I had Assassins Creed 1 on my PS3 but I traded it it at Gamestop 

I bought it again a couple of months later for my 360

#37 Posted by masterpaperlink (1910 posts) -

orange box, damn steam sales, cant even play it.

#38 Posted by AgentofChaos (1575 posts) -

Well I bought NBA Live 06 on PC and Xbox. But to be fair, the Xbox game had been "ringed" to death.

#39 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1494 posts) -

Like 12 different versions of Street Fighter II.  

You can never have enough.
#40 Posted by Whisperkill (3046 posts) -

Sure, like Peggle and shit. But that's a given. 

#41 Posted by gannon16 (97 posts) -

I bought Twilight Princess on the Wii and the Gamecube.

#42 Posted by watsonphys (27 posts) -

I originally got Tiger woods 06 and Guitar Hero II on PS2, then purchased them again for the 360, just for the points.

#43 Edited by Bghattas (46 posts) -

The only retail games I have bought on multiple consoles are Max Payne (PS2 and Xbox) and BioShock (PS3 and 360). I may have bought DL stuff that I bought years ago on a console but I can't think which ones right off the top of my head.

I have thought about importing No More Heroes from Japan for the PS3, I played the Wii version back in 2008.

#44 Posted by TheHBK (5658 posts) -

Yes, Yes I have

Orange Box on the 360 and on the PC
GTA III and Vice City on the Xbox and PS2
Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 and GC, but that was a remake

#45 Edited by Jeust (11376 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:

" So, for the first time in my many...many years of gaming (damn im getting old) I bought a game I already owned on another system. The game in case is Marvel VS Capcom 2 for PS3, which is half off at the moment ($7.49 or 6.99 euros), which I already had on the 360. Well technically its the third time I buy it since I used to have it on the DC. So now I have the same game on 2 systems, and the reason i got it was, well, its so cheap at the moment, I would rather A) play it with the ps3 controler and B) its one of those games I want to have "forever", and my ps3 is likely to outlive my (second) 360... dont get angry, its true :P So, have you ever bought the same game on multiple systems, and if so, why? "

I bought the Force Unleashed on the PS2, DS and Xbox 360, and played the PC version. I love that game, though it's getting old...
#46 Posted by tomte (293 posts) -

Myst for the PC and DS.
Also i bought several games with EU and japanese version. for ex. i own both the european and the japanese version of FF X and XII also i own the jap version of XIII and will buy the european, Guitar Hero 3,  GTA 3, Shadow of the Colossus and probably some other games. Stupid PS2 for not being region free :(

#47 Posted by Pazy (2682 posts) -

Bioshock: I bought it on Xbox 360 but quickly traded in it because I didnt enjoy the experience of the first 4/5 hours but I got it again on PS3 recently because people keep telling me how awesome it it is and there is apparently some "twist" I need to see (plus it was cheap). 

Call of Duty 3: I originally got it on Xbox 360, when I got a Wii the best package also had Call of Duty 3.

Tomb Raider: I own it on PS1 (many times over), I then got it for Ngage so I could replay it on the bus and I just got in on Sega Saturn because it came with the console.

Tomb Raider Legend: I originally bought it on Xbox but shortly before Underworld came out I wanted to replay it and since it wasent backwards compatable I bought the preowned xbox 360 version for £3.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow: I originally got in on PC when it was cheap to try out the series then I got the Xbox version since it was cheap so I could play co-op with my brother.

Resident Evil: I got the DS version for a present, having never played Resident Evil for more than 30 minutes before, and then I got the Gamecube version cheaply since it still looks pretty awesome and I wanted to play it on a TV.

Sonic Adventure 2: My parents got it for me with a Dreamcast and I rebought it on Gamecube because I loved the game but my dreamcast broke (fairly swiftly).

Pandemonium: I own it on PS1 and bought it on the Ngage to play it on the bus.

Im sure there are many others, especially on PC, but those are the ones I can remember. I dont really like to get the same game more than once but I will if I have traded it on, so I still own one copy, the original system I had it for dosent work, so I can still play it, or in order to play it on a handheld platform. A rare time I will rebuy a game for a diffrent system since its cheap (less than £5 at the most) to have an excuse to replay it.

#48 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5703 posts) -

I bought Braid on both the 360 and PC (it was $2 on Steam!). 

I also rented Resident Evil 5 for both the 360 and PS3 so I could play through it with different friends.

#49 Posted by JJOR64 (19541 posts) -

I've done it with Resident Evil 4, Burnout Revenge, Street Fighter IV, Banjo-Tooie, and Gears of War.  That's all I can think of at the moment.

#50 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

I got L4D2 on PC for 30 bucks, and then on 360 for 34 during Amazon.com's holiday sales.