Have You Ever Encountered a Truly Game-Breaking, Progression-Blocking Bug?

• 190 results
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PillClinton

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PillClinton

If so, in what game?

I hadn't until Darksiders II, which I legitimately cannot progress in until they release another patch or two. Shipping busted-ass games to meet a deadline because they can just fix it later with a patch, even though early supporters don't get what they paid for--oh, modernity!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

In Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo, at the end of the second world. No matter what, the main character gets stuck on an invisible barrier mid-cutscene and the game can't proceed from there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Nothing that jumps out at me at the moment, though I've had to deal with a scratched disc that stopped halfway through the game.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes, In Leisure Suit Larry 3, at the very end of the game, I used the soap in the shower before working out in the gym. Passionate Patti wouldn't get freaky with me smelling like balls and there's apparently only one bar of soap in the entire game.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By viking_funeral

KOTOR II (Xbox) -- There's a part on Nar Shadaa where a cut scene won't load, and without that cut scene, you don't get access to a certain part of the game to confront a Jedi Master to advance the plot.

An Aside: I still love this game, and I'm replaying it right now with the restored content mod. It's too bad Lucas Arts pushed it out the door so quickly with all the bugs (rumor being that Lucas didn't like the game expanding the Force beyond just having good & evil sides) because the story is excellent and up there with Avellone's other great games: Planescape & Mask of the Betrayer.

I know there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth 
There is a point where you have to look through a turret's viewfinder and shoot at a bunch of witches on the shore who are creating tidal wives and destroying your ship. This is immediately after an already nearly broken boss fight. The problem? It's way far away on a distant island and the witches models wouldn't appear. You had roughly 10 seconds to find them and fire at them, but all you could see was an island with seemingly no one on it. 
To get around this bug? There are walkthroughs online showing "guidelines" for where the witches are, roughly. These guidelines are along the lines of "shoot a little to the left of the slightly darker bit of grey smoke at the 3 second mark."  
I just downloaded a save file after that section.
robdburrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By robdburrows

Yes, I got caught in that Costume Quest bug (which is due to the save file) in which if you updated the game during a certain part of the game, the french fry costume will not work properly on the one individual you need it to work on. Never got fixed and never went back to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

During a horse race in Red Dead Redemption, the race started over and over again with their hooves stuck in the ground, unable to go anywhere. It was a main mission, so until it fixed itself, or a patch came, I would be unable to proceed.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePaleKing

Stalker: SoC and CS (both when played on release)

In SoC my save files just suddenly got corrupted, shortly after X-18. Unrecoverable.

In CS the game started spontaneously crashing to desktop right before the hospital area. I'd load the save file and walk around for 5 - 10 seconds, would crash without fail.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePaleKing

@MrKlorox said:

Yes, In Leisure Suit Larry 3, at the very end of the game, I used the soap in the shower before working out in the gym. Passionate Patti wouldn't get freaky with me smelling like balls and there's apparently only one bar of soap in the entire game.

That's not a bug. That's typical of the Leisure Suit Larry series, and other Sierra adventures of the that era.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

Hm. Unless the guide I was reading was a total ballcock, I did get stuck in Steambot Chronicles. The guy I needed to see wasn't there.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
@ThePaleKing said:

@MrKlorox said:

That's not a bug. That's typical of the Leisure Suit Larry series, and other Sierra adventures of the that era.

A game breaking design oversight is a bug as far as I'm concerned.

@ThePaleKing said:

Stalker: SoC and CS (both when played on release)

In SoC my save files just suddenly got corrupted, shortly after X-18. Unrecoverable.

In CS the game started spontaneously crashing to desktop right before the hospital area. I'd load the save file and walk around for 5 - 10 seconds, would crash without fail.

Pretty sure the OP isn't asking about crashes either.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Several times :(

This was one of them:

@ThatFrood said:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth There is a point where you have to look through a turret's viewfinder and shoot at a bunch of witches on the shore who are creating tidal wives and destroying your ship. This is immediately after an already nearly broken boss fight. The problem? It's way far away on a distant island and the witches models wouldn't appear. You had roughly 10 seconds to find them and fire at them, but all you could see was an island with seemingly no one on it. To get around this bug? There are walkthroughs online showing "guidelines" for where the witches are, roughly. These guidelines are along the lines of "shoot a little to the left of the slightly darker bit of grey smoke at the 3 second mark." I just downloaded a save file after that section.
Avatar image for marthroyeliwood
MarthRoyEliwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MarthRoyEliwood

@Paul_Is_Drunk: Does An aside have a full title? I can't find it anywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Skyrim, before it got patched (at least I think it got patched), during the Companions quest-line, there was a quest that wants you to clear out a fort of dudes. However the fort is in a location you can pass quite a few times if you've done anything else, which I had, and decided to clear. I guess clearing that dungeon automatically screwed the Companion quest up, so I was unable to kill the Chief guy, and was unable to cure my werewolf affliction, or get my achievement!

it made me bummed, as I was hell-bent on S-ranking Skyrim, so I had to make a new char and pretty much rush through the companions, then I never touched that char again.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stryker1121

@PillClinton: What's your DS2 bug?

I ran into the infamous Carth Stealth Glitch in KOTOR 1 (link explains it, beware of spoilers though) Found an a ridiculous workaround online that concerned numerous random button presses and sacrificing a chicken at midnight while standing on your head. I have no idea how the guy figured out the workaround but I was very happy to not lose 30 hrs or so of a great game.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePaleKing

@MrKlorox: You are objectively wrong. That's like saying that Ultima VI becoming unbeatable after using the Armageddon spell is a bug. It's not, the developers intended for that to happen, and it's the same thing with Leisure Suit Larry.

And yes, save corruption and crash to dekstops caused by faulty coding IS a bug.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

Unfortunately, that's not really a bug. That was just the insane nature of old Sierra adventure game design.

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By russcat

There have probably been several. FIFA 10 crashed every time I started a game in my second season of manager mode. Space Hulk on the Amiga always crashed starting the final mission. Dungeon Master couldn't get into gameplay on the A500+. Going even further back, Great Gurianos on the Amstrad CPC had a boss who could not be hit.

I'm sure there are more.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

Portal 2 

There was a bug earlier this month (I think it was caused when they patched in co-op support for community test chambers) where Wheatley's cubes wouldn't stay in gravity beams and instead would just fall out after half a second. It was incredibly frustrating, and it was made even more annoying because when I googled it nothing came up, but I kept checking and the next day someone posted a thread on the Steam forums about it so I knew I wasn't alone. They patched it a few days later, but still, super frustrating thing to run into when you're replaying a game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Karl_Boss
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
@ThePaleKing said:

@MrKlorox: You are objectively wrong. That's like saying that Ultima VI becoming unbeatable after using the Armageddon spell is a bug. It's not, the developers intended for that to happen, and it's the same thing with Leisure Suit Larry.

And yes, save corruption and crash to dekstops caused by faulty coding IS a bug.

Cool, if you want to destroy the context of the topic, I'm wrong and you're right. But neither is true.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Ace829

I was playing Metro 2033 on PC when I got to a church in one of the levels. The only way out was through one of the doors on the left side which leads to a small room with another door. I needed to hurry because two of my comrades were blocking the doors from rabid radioactive dogs. Unfortunately, the door in the small room refused to open wider than a small crack and I am eternally stuck inside the church with a time limit. I stopped playing after that.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PillClinton

@stryker1121: In the Foundry, where you have to collect 3 heartstones to awaken that big stone robot guy, I'm completely stuck because a worker construct I need to open a gate won't spawn, or is trapped underwater or something. Apparently, it's a pretty widespread bug, among many other DS2 bugs that have the potential to utterly halt progression.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Klei

Yep. 36 hours in Fallout NV I couldn't talk to a character that progressed the overall plot. That is, the robot called Yes Man. Never touched the game again.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

@PillClinton said:

@stryker1121: In the Foundry, where you have to collect 3 heartstones to awaken that big stone robot guy, I'm completely stuck because a worker construct I need to open a gate won't spawn, or is trapped underwater or something. Apparently, it's a pretty widespread bug, among many other DS2 bugs that have the potential to utterly halt progression.

=( that sucks; at least I only got a quest-breaking bug (the bridge not lowering).

Thankfully the core game is actually very good, otherwise I'd be more annoyed by the game's bugginess.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By chilibean_3

I never finished Fallout 3 because at some point it stopped letting me into DC. It would freeze up on the loading screen every time. If it weren't for those new Fallout games being so dang buggy they would probably be in my top 5 ever.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By WightnNerdy

Yup, it just happened to me while playing Darksiders II.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PillClinton

@BeachThunder said:

@PillClinton said:

=( that sucks; at least I only got a quest-breaking bug (the bridge not lowering).

Thankfully the core game is actually very good, otherwise I'd be more annoyed by the game's bugginess.

You're right, the core game is very good, and that's precisely why the bugginess is so annoying! I was really getting into it and surprisingly having a blast with the loot system and possessed weapons, etc., too. Not to mention, I payed 50 bucks to play it, which is all I want to do... :'(

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wjb

Not exactly "game-breaking", but when I got to the third act of The Witcher 2 on 360, I couldn't die. Tried restarting my system, but it would go back to the same bug after a few minutes in. Sort of sucked the experience I had; there was no skill/strategy because there was zero challenge.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PillClinton

@wjb: Wow, that's actually really bizarre. I can see how that would totally fuck up the experience.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By morningstar

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow on Ps3. Rare bug where the game crashes on last boss and erase your profile so you have to start over. I lost 25 hours....

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By nintendoeats

I believe that there was a bug preventing us from finding all of the turtles on the beach in Mary Kate and Ashley Olson's Crush Course.

Of course we had been drinking, so who fething knows?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shadows_kill

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg on the last level after a jump I always went through the ground.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wjb

@PillClinton: Yeah, I was already lukewarm on the game. I had certain expectations, listening to people talk about it for a year, and I kind of got tired by the second act. That bug didn't help my experience.

I was doing a side-quest involving gargoyles at the beginning of the third act, and there's a golem (I think) in one of the treasure rooms. My health was down to nothing, and at the time I realized I couldn't use magic either. I didn't give it much thought because I was too busy coming from behind to defeat the golem. After the fight was over, my health didn't regenerate and I still couldn't use magic. I thought, "I'll just die and start over." That's when I realized I couldn't die, either.

I looked online and it happened to a few people, so ~shrug~.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By BBAlpert

There was one quest Skyrim for the Thieve's Guild that required me to pickpocket someone that wasn't actually there. That was kind of annoying.

Jeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jeric

In Fallout: New Vegas I had that glitch where if you enter The Strip, the screen goes black and you can't do anything. As if The Strip being crucial to the story wasn't bad enough, I was inside the Lucky 38 so I couldn't leave no matter what. Fun times.

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Bleeble

@Jeric said:

In Fallout: New Vegas I had that glitch where if you enter The Strip, the screen goes black and you can't do anything. As if The Strip being crucial to the story wasn't bad enough, I was inside the Lucky 38 so I couldn't leave no matter what. Fun times.

That happened to me as well.

I also experienced a bug in New Vegas that would not let me level up past 1.

Jeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeric

@Bleeble said:

I also experienced a bug in New Vegas that would not let me level up past 1.

Okay that is some serious shit! Haven't had anything like that ever happen to me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By McGhee

The one flaw in Dragon Age 2 that I couldn't look past was the bugs. There were numerous, more than any except for maybe New Vegas, but the one that had me quit playing the game for good was one that kept me from completing a quest. Every time I would get to a certain place in the dungeon the character's feet would stick to the floor making it impossible to move. Any time you'd switch to a different character their feet would also stick to the floor. I reloaded from many saves and it kept happening. Pissed me off so much I never played again.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By falling_fast

mm, when my 360 started to spiral into brokenness, it broke red dead redemption, by making me fall into the world every few seconds, even after starting a new game.

Fortunately, I'd already finished the game.

not a bug, but the scratch on my used copy of god of war 1 didn't affect anything except for the final cutscene before fighting Ares :/. it took like half an hour to get through, crossing my fingers that it wouldn't just straight up freeze. After I finished the game, I rewatched the cutscene on youtube.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ninjalegend

@Jeric said:

This among many other bugs. This was one of the few games I really liked, but traded in before I finished it. How does a game so broken even come out?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By falling_fast

oh. I remember one. halfway through the Thieves Guild in Oblivion, the questline broke. I couldn't get the next mission. I stopped playing. not exactly game-breaking per se, but as close to a gembreaking bug as I've ever encountered.

reading peoples thoughts, I'm glad I waited to buy new vegas (for pc, I hear the ps3 version is FUCKED) until they got it all patched. I've never had a problem with it, thankfully.

edit: oh, also, in World at War, in the sewer level, I got to the end, and Reznov wasn't there, so I was stuck fighting infinite amounts of nazis, with no way to go back or do anything. this happened about three times before I gave up and reset the game. After playing the entire level over, and making a point of sticking by Reznov (the other times, I rushed ahead on my own) I finally got through the level.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By jonnyboy

Gears of War. Think I've just about managed to find every bug, glitch and error known to man in that series. In particular Gears 3 has a habit of not activating a cutscene when you cross the invisible trigger at the end of the level. So you can carry on walking around the corner until the level just stops existing. That's pretty annoying. What's worse is that when it's your first play through, you wonder what you're doing wrong.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By falling_fast

in Zombies Ate My Neighbors there's a level waaay in, like 60 something, where dudes with chainsaws are supposed to be chopping apart a hedge maze, and you kind of need them to open a path for you, unless if you have a rocket launcher to blast yr way through. problem was, they never found us, and we turned off the game after waiting for like 15 minutes.

edit: Saints Row the Third had a problem with my shitty computer having to run it at a very low framerate. One of the timed events went way too fast for me to be able to complete it. I managed to get through it by tweaking some ini values or something, though.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By audiosnow

Fallout 3, Operation: Anchorage.

I was following the main storyline, strolling through a bunker on my way to a mission-critical waypoint, when I suddenly hit an area of the corridor that caused the entire system to freeze. I'd reboot, reload, walk toward the other end of the corridor, cross some invisible line, and boom, the system would freeze again. If I had to guess, I was hitting some point at which the game was supposed to load assets but failing. I had to reload my previous, previous, previous save before it figured itself out and let me move past its unintentional, system-crashing, invisible barrier.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maginnovision

The only one I ever cared about was in Fallout Tactics, a robot died in a doorway to the last room of the last mission and I couldn't get passed him.

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kitsunezeta

@MrKlorox said:

@ThePaleKing said:

Cool, if you want to destroy the context of the topic, I'm wrong and you're right. But neither is true.

Actually, Pale's right, what you're claiming is a bug is what is properly known as "Unwinnable BY DESIGN" - the devs deliberately made it to where doing that one action out of order rendered the game unwinnable. Sierra was notorious for this (to the point where you can basically call this "Sierra Syndrome" and people would know EXACTLY what you're talking about), and the largest example is probably Gold Rush (which can be rendered unwinnable in numerous ways entirely by player input before you even leave the first town - such as selling your house after looking through your family album. There's a photo you MUST get from the album, and the game never hints for you to get it until near the end). The thread directly asks about bugs that end up making a game unwinnable, which can include bugs in the save mechanism that leads to save corruption. (Anyone remember Soul Calibur 3's memory-card corrupting save bug?)

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Example1013

I played Oblivion, so yes.