• 95 results
Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Have you ever judged a person (negative or positive) for their tastes in video games? (263 votes)

JA 65%
NEIN 35%

Yo I was just wondering, because sometimes I do it, I am derisive of people who enjoy modern super technical driving games because cars are dumb.

and I automatically think more highly of people who mention Nier. Just like how half of my posts on video games always revert back to Nier.

Also the answers are in German just to FREAK YOU OUT

#1 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Praise Almighty Jah

#2 Posted by Ezakael (917 posts) -

I think negatively of one of my friends taste in games because all he plays is WoW and CoD, but I mostly do it because he thinks he has more gaming experience than me even though he plays 2 games and pretty much nothing else.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36106 posts) -

Yes. All of you. All the time.

#4 Posted by Daneian (1208 posts) -

Yes and I am trying to be better about it.

#5 Posted by TheHT (10932 posts) -

I'm sure I've done a lot of stupid things in the past, that included.

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6240 posts) -

@ezakael: I do this to basically anyone I know that plays exclusively 1-2 games.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

This may, in fact, be my primary means of judging people :o

Also: "No one that speaks German could be an evil man!"

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

NEIN.

#9 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

Not really.

But Nier was the craziest ending ive seen i can say that.

#10 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Not really.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14590 posts) -

I did a bunch of stupid shit when i was younger. Im usually understanding these days if someone has different tastes than me. I've got 99 problems and what everyone else plays ain't one.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1846 posts) -

Anyone that says their favorite game is Call of Duty pretty much instantly makes my list.

#13 Edited by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

Not at all.

#14 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

No. I ignore the shit out of anyone who uses Tumblr however.

#15 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

No. I ignore the shit out of anyone who uses Tumblr however.

Do you enjoy red noses?

#16 Edited by Bocam (3681 posts) -
#17 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Yeah. Anyone who goes on about the Mass Effect universe being a meaningful thing and it's incredible how far gaming has come... STFU. You're saying that because that's what you've been told and think you should regurgitate it while wearing your gaming beret. Go and play Elite on an emulator and feel the loneliness and massiveness of that universe. Oh Kotor is the best thing ever... STFU. Come back when you've played more games and can see it's a dry cracker in a plate of jam scones.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#19 Edited by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Yeah. For example, it baffles me that people are fans of Dynasty Warriors or similar games. There are probably more examples.

Edit: Anyone who is feel free to explain why.

#20 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I don't count those who play Dota as people so no.

#21 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Yeah, it's a factor. Game tastes, just like tastes in music, book, or film, do give you some clues, at least when you're filling in the broad strokes. But it's obviously chancy to rely on it much.

#22 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3023 posts) -

The idea that people don't want David Cage dead after Heavy Rain is still pretty confusing to me.

#23 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Nier is one of the greatest games ever, and cars are awesome. Now what do we do?

#24 Posted by wjb (1645 posts) -

Probably, but I really don't know a whole lot of people who play video games, actually. Weird...

#25 Posted by mason20 (137 posts) -

No this has never been much of an issue. I have found myself however laughing at people who look at what is considered a "causal gamer" with an elitist attitude.

I mean really they are playing a game regardless of "quality". What makes said game or gamer better than one another?

#26 Edited by TheHT (10932 posts) -

I'm judging the shit out of all of you that currently do this. Consider yourself judged.

I AM THE LAW.

#27 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

@daneian said:

Yes and I am trying to be better about it.

This makes me think of Madden. Sooo I hate you now. Cuzzz Madden sucks.

(Sarcasm has been used in this post)

On a serious note, I get angry when people say they are big into games and all they play is Black Ops or EA Sports games and that's it. I hate that I get angry, but if you spent that much money on a gaming system, shouldn't you expand your horizon's on video games and try something new?

Quick Story: My friend loves Call of Duty and I asked him if he will buy a PS4, he told me he would. I asked him what games he looks forward to playing and replied saying "Just Call of Duty". I don't understand it. Just stay with your ps3 and keep playing black ops 2.

#28 Posted by Wraith1 (556 posts) -

nein, I never do such things

#29 Posted by TurnipVegi (1 posts) -

I know I definitely do. Back in high school I had a group of friends that considered themselves "gamers" but literally all the played was CoD, Halo, or Battlefield. Seriously wat?

#30 Posted by MoonwalkSA (420 posts) -

Normally I don't for simple differences in taste, because sometimes shit is just different and people always like different shit.

But if someone told me that they genuinely loved Duke Nukem Forever, I would disown them.

#31 Edited by Tackchevy (261 posts) -

I had a conversation with a dude the other day on favorite ps1 games, as I'm playing a lot of those now. He pulled out Medievil, all I had was Xenogears. Respect.

#32 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Nope. This is something I've come to absolutely hate about the video game community. The overwhelming nerd allegiance, as to what someone else plays, is super fucking annoying. Who cares what games people play, let them play what they enjoy. I play stuff like Crusader Kings 2 and indie hipster games, but I also love Madden and MLB The Show...

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (8574 posts) -

Sure. Just as I might take something from someone's taste in books, music, movies, or art. They aren't necessarily more positive or more negative, but I certainly judge some things from people's preferences.

#34 Edited by Giantstalker (1541 posts) -

Yeah, I place very little value in artsy indie games and same goes for those who think highly of them.

#35 Posted by Reisz (1461 posts) -

I met someone in a pub once who turned out to be a big Way of the Samurai fan. That was all I needed to know that guy was alright. Also a co-worker that I didn't think highly of was playing Freedom Fighters one day when I arrived to pick him up. Suffice to say that relationship changed, I had no idea he was into video games, let alone fucking awesome ones.

#36 Posted by bigjeffrey (4813 posts) -

Tell me the games you like so i can judge them.

#37 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I judge people primarily on the basis of how invested they are in other people's judgment of them.

#38 Edited by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

Nope. That's ridiculous. Besides, I love my share of bad games.

#39 Posted by TehJedicake (879 posts) -

All the time. and I acknowledge that's a bad thing.

#40 Posted by slyspider (1161 posts) -

If you enjoy Rapelay, I will judge you.

#41 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Would you judge me harshly if I told you I got bored with Nier half way through?

#42 Edited by hinderk (685 posts) -

No. Who am I to say what games people should and shouldn't like?

#43 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2313 posts) -

I mostly just tease people about it. No need to hate yo.

#44 Posted by hollitz (1443 posts) -

On the internet, sure, but in real life, nah. There's just no accounting for taste.

#45 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

Yeah. Anyone who goes on about the Mass Effect universe being a meaningful thing and it's incredible how far gaming has come... STFU. You're saying that because that's what you've been told and think you should regurgitate it while wearing your gaming beret. Go and play Elite on an emulator and feel the loneliness and massiveness of that universe. Oh Kotor is the best thing ever... STFU. Come back when you've played more games and can see it's a dry cracker in a plate of jam scones.

Reading this is making me angry.

#46 Posted by Clonedzero (4094 posts) -

Nope.

I don't really like Call of Duty for example, and people on GB seem to HATE it (all the "omg CoD is killing gaming!" bullshit), i know alot of people who LOVE the series, theres nothing wrong with that.

I hate JRPGs, i find them tedious and mindnumbingly boring. (western rpgs being my favorite genre actually), but i know people who love them, nothing wrong with that either.

I constantly see around here people hating on shooters, first and third person ones. Why? Like look at any trailer for any shooter posted here in the last year, you'll see dozens of douchey comments going "oh another shooter? fuck that!". Why? You don't see me popping into the comments of your highcontrast color indie hipster platformer based on a single gimmick mechanic do you? I like shooters. Why is that a bad thing?

Its mostly the indie hipster movement, people have gotten snobby real quick about video games. Its even pretty prevalent here, like i said, look at the comments in trailers, you'll see alot of gold medals shitting all over stuff simply because of its genre. Kinda gross.

#47 Edited by Giantstalker (1541 posts) -
@clonedzero said:
I constantly see around here people hating on shooters, first and third person ones. Why? Like look at any trailer for any shooter posted here in the last year, you'll see dozens of douchey comments going "oh another shooter? fuck that!". Why? You don't see me popping into the comments of your highcontrast color indie hipster platformer based on a single gimmick mechanic do you? I like shooters. Why is that a bad thing?

It's doubly difficult if your favorite subgenre of shooter happens to be modern military.

I think people like us just need to lay low until they find something new to hate.

#48 Posted by ichthy (485 posts) -

My ex used to obsessively play Dynasty Warriors. ALL OF THEM.

#49 Posted by Sergio (2055 posts) -

Yes. I'm doing it right now.

You're a terrible person.

#50 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11498 posts) -

Yep. Not going to pretend I don't. Nothing lowers my opinion of someone quite like some good old fashioned retro-elitism. Even as someone who will willingly champion games that came out 10+ years ago, I think a good chunk of the users on say.... the GOG forums are crazy, bitter old men. Fallout 1&2 are not the pinnacle of the RPG genre, and yes, I do like Mass Effect.

Also people who play just Call of Duty or Halo are probably people I have no interest discussing video games with, but that's a given.