• 91 results
#51 Edited by Corvak (1077 posts) -

I've met a bunch of people online who have become 'real life' friends, mostly from a game cataloging site called The Backloggery.

We all fly to DC twice a year, for Otakon in July/August (Baltimore, technically) and for MAGFest in January.

#52 Edited by Glottery (1279 posts) -

A whole bunch from various games, with WoW probably being the most influential. That said, even if we're still talking after all these years, I have only met a few of them in person and outside the digital world.

Some I met through different forums and sites, some just by playing and some with the combination of both, so to say.

#53 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2305 posts) -

I met my best friend in middle school and had found out later that he was into games as much as I am. Otherwise I don't have any other friends that I've made through gaming.

#54 Posted by Bipa (94 posts) -

I met so many friends in Star Wars Galaxies, back in the day when MMO players socialized with each other.

#55 Posted by salata (8 posts) -

i never made via gaming. but i would like to do so. i was hoping i could make some friends here on the forum. any ideas?:D

#56 Posted by Rowr (5664 posts) -

I met my wife through this website. So yeh.

Otherwise no. Most friends I've had have had a common interest in it, but weren't met through it.

#57 Posted by takashichea (353 posts) -

In my experience, I made friends with my neighbors during middle school. It was through the N64 era. Nowadays, I play games with family since I moved around a lot. My roommates don't play games or watch anime or meet anyone who have the same interests as me. That's why I have Anime Vice and Giant Bomb to fill the void.

#58 Posted by DoctorDonkey (265 posts) -

I have no friends outside of the internet. I have 2 great friends I met a long time ago on WoW.

#59 Posted by ajamafalous (12000 posts) -

Yeah, I've got a few that I've met online and play a wide collection of games with. I've even met up with some of them in real life.

#60 Posted by JCGamer (663 posts) -

My 2 best friends became my friends due to gaming. Of course this was back in the NES days where we went over to each other's houses to play games but videogames is what brought us together.

#61 Posted by Naoiko (124 posts) -

It's a bit late (and already been said) but welcome to the site! =D

Let's see... I guess I'll just jump right into it.

I was very antisocial in school and my first real friends I met from our common love of video games. I had key chains and walk throughs and the like with me during school, and when folks saw it who knew what it was it started a conversation. I'm still good friends with 2 of my friends from school (both whom I've been friends with now for over 12 years+).

I even have a few friends online that I met in MMO's whom I've been friends with now for close to 10 years. Even met some of em a few times in person since they live far away. One friend I met on an MMO, the others I met on a forum about a video game series.

MMO's are really great way to make friends . In fact, I met my husband on an MMO not long after getting out of high-school. He lived in Cali, and I was in GA. We were just friends at first and their just ended up being a spark there. After two years of dating we got married, and have been married for over 5 years now.

One of our biggest common interest is still games. Heck, when we moved last year the first people we made friends with (and are still friends) were gamers. The topic of hobbies came up and I just blurted out that I love games and anime/manga and the rest is history.

If MMO's aren't your thing then forums like this would be a good place to start. I don't care for other types of online games or multiplayer games myself but I do have a soft spot for MMO's. I've met the most people on a game called Ragnarok Online (which is also where I met my husband) but it's over 10 years old now and gone free to play. Not as many people play these days and most are in countries outside the US (though a good deal speak English.)

WoW is also a good one but I'd stay out of general chat if your looking for a meaningful conversation.It gets trolled...alot.

Hope you enjoy your time on the site!

#62 Posted by gokaired (534 posts) -

Back in the olden days when we hung around arcades that's all you ever did.

It was a simpler time, it was great time...

#63 Posted by helvetica (97 posts) -

I have! This is was through FPS games on a server that we all played on. I'm not very good at MMOs.

#64 Posted by development (2350 posts) -

Nope. I would usually make some decent friends in MMOs, but deep down I pitied them and I thought they were depressing to be around. I've more than a couple times totally dropped of the face of the Earth after having been in MMO guilds for months as an active member. Usually that happens when they say or do something truly awful, like banning members on dubious grounds or making weird rules, or when I quit the game entirely because it's sucking away my time.

I made some acquaintances playing Minecraft servers, but after I got tired of Minecraft there really wasn't any way for me to stay in contact with them... or I just didn't care enough to try.

A few times other people had started talking with me on Steam through other games, but (just by chance, I'm sure) they ended up being super immature or racist and I felt gross or like I was wasting my time speaking with them.

I think the best way to make good gaming friends is to keep meeting people normally until you find them... although I've never personally found any that way (at least none who play anything besides CoD or sports games).

#65 Posted by Tom_omb (401 posts) -

I've made some of the best friends I've ever had from my guild in WoW. Actually, the reason I started playing WoW was because an internet friend I met in City of Heroes left for the Blizzard MMO. In WoW I went on to make more friends that I would then play other games with. I've never met any of them in the flesh, but that seems trivial when compared to the many hours of conversations we've had while playing games that puts to shame my real life friendships.

#66 Edited by bgmnts (31 posts) -

Not really. I dont really fit in anywhere. Not even the gaming community.

#67 Posted by DoctorObviously (2 posts) -

@naoiko: Thanks for your response! I'm actually looking through the answers here to find me some friends :)

#68 Posted by LikeaSsur (1532 posts) -

Welcome to Giant Bomb, where you find heartfelt stories, one word posts, and sarcastic comments all in the same thread! This site's great, really. My only word of advice is to watch out for the "hive mind" mentality that plagues all communities. If you're against the majority, be prepared for some backlash.

I've met exactly 3 real life friends because of video games, specifically FFXI and WoW. One person in particular I met entirely by divine intervention, because I was running through a starting zone in FFXI (Ronfaure for those in the know) going somewhere else, and I saw her running away from some monsters that were apparently too tough for her. I stopped to help and cure her, and after the fight we just clicked. 8-9 years later, we're still good friends.

#69 Edited by Invader_DooMest (24 posts) -

Gears of War 1. I found out my art teacher played (funny enough I remember the gamertag from previous games) and from there I was introduced to what later became the group (I called it cult). We had so many people on Gears 2 we had 2 full matches (so about 20 of us) and would swap between games just to play with one another.

Later, being in the Military, I made a ton of gaming friends. The last house I roomated with while in Japan, we would game like crazy. From playing Battlefield 4 or Mass Effect 3 on two separate TV's in the same room all the way to doing Horror nights whenever a new horror game came out. Had tons of fun there.

#70 Edited by MackGyver (546 posts) -

Not yet.

#71 Posted by NTM (7383 posts) -

Eh yeah, I guess so. Not if you're referring to meeting someone online, and then in real life, that has never happened, nor do I care to do that, but many of my friends I have gotten to know due to the mutual interest in video games, and the ones that have still kept in contact with me are the ones that like to play games just as much as myself. They're all from high school.

#72 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I kinda did, but that turned out bad. I do have some GB members on my friends list, but we don't talk much. Sometimes I might game with them from time to time.

#73 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (579 posts) -

I met some friends through Socom II of all things. They'd come out here from Chicago for a couple E3's, and I'd gone back there once to visit. Also made some good friends in FFXI that live all the way in Denmark, but we've never been able to meet face to face.

#74 Posted by Zrais (144 posts) -

Real friends:Yes. Met them in person:Yes.

#75 Posted by Musou (381 posts) -

I met one of my best friends playing Halo 3 coop with strangers, aong with him I developed a couple of great friendships exclusively through online gaming. I also made a lot of friends "in the real world" because of gaming, so I'd say yeah, I made a lot of friends through gaming.

#76 Posted by InfiniteSpark (307 posts) -

Yes, I've made some good friends through gaming. In fact, it was here in Giant Bomb where I made my gaming friends, some from the FluxWaveZ's Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena tournaments, some from MikeFightNight's fighting game sessions. A few of the folks I met from those events posted on this thread. I thank them for being cool folks and not minding me being absent/not talking much this year due to some thing (a lot of work hours this year the major culprit). I haven't met any of them in real life, but they're awesome nonetheless.

#77 Posted by Whimsee (10 posts) -

Since you mean gaming in any form then yes, most if not all of my friends are closely connected to gaming in one way or another.

It's probably because of where I grew up but I had an easy time making friends through gaming. I remember having my first friends when Final Fantasy VIII just came out and we were stuck at the early boss battles because we were young and stupid. It eventually escalated to in-depth talks about boss strategy and general frustration with the GF boost system.

Later on Asian MMOs, Counter-strike, Red Alert 2, Generals and WC3 DotA happened and I also made friends just geeking out and discussing just about everything about the game and what we do in them.

As for single player games, I have a best friend who just plays them exclusively since he can't handle FPSes (because it makes him nauseous) and won't play Multiplayer games because it's too stressful. We bonded over Red Alert 2, Generals, and Bioshock.

There are others and some of them include other types of games like MtG and Resistance: Avalon. And some I was already friends with before we dove into other games so yeah... Outside online interaction, I kinda grew up having friends through gaming.

#78 Posted by bgmnts (31 posts) -

Welcome to Giant Bomb, where you find heartfelt stories, one word posts, and sarcastic comments all in the same thread! This site's great, really. My only word of advice is to watch out for the "hive mind" mentality that plagues all communities. If you're against the majority, be prepared for some backlash.

I've met exactly 3 real life friends because of video games, specifically FFXI and WoW. One person in particular I met entirely by divine intervention, because I was running through a starting zone in FFXI (Ronfaure for those in the know) going somewhere else, and I saw her running away from some monsters that were apparently too tough for her. I stopped to help and cure her, and after the fight we just clicked. 8-9 years later, we're still good friends.

I experienced that on another, very popular, forum recently. took a stance against the liberal 'hive mind' and got ganged up on and then banned for no reason. It was awesome!I havent seen anything like that on here.

#79 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

@bgmnts said:

@likeassur said:

I experienced that on another, very popular, forum recently. took a stance against the liberal 'hive mind' and got ganged up on and then banned for no reason. It was awesome!I havent seen anything like that on here.

Amen, I sometimes appear as a troll because I have to respond to everyone who disagrees with me and that's usually the majority of the posters.

#80 Posted by Steadying (1250 posts) -

yes

#81 Posted by bgmnts (31 posts) -

@bgmnts said:

@likeassur said:

Amen, I sometimes appear as a troll because I have to respond to everyone who disagrees with me and that's usually the majority of the posters.

Especially in the gaming world, its a very liberal environment. And thats cool, but being a bipartisan contrarian guy can get you gangbanged on forums. Solidarity brother!

#82 Posted by Rebellion91 (24 posts) -

Way back in the day, when WoW was still full of wonder. The days when you couldn't stand in a major city all day and get phat loot using the auto queue system. I met a group of players in a guild. It was my first character on the Horde side. I ended up getting on ventrilo with them with a shitty microsoft desk mic. I had a lot of fun conversing with my new guild. When time came and people started logging off for the night, one person stayed on. We got to talking, and realized we had very very much in common. We stayed up way passed a working mans bedtime talking about music and the like. We've now been friends for 5 years. We literally live across the country from one another but pretty much talk every day.

#83 Edited by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Do you mean strictly online, or are we allowing having met the person in real life beforehand, but then bonding over video games? Because I grew up on the tail end of not having online capabilities unless you were a pc gamer. My four best friends became my best friends because we'd all gather at each others houses and play N64, Super Nintendo, Gameboy Advance, etc. So technically we became friends due to gaming, but the way things worked back then was just different. College has worked similarly, I've made a good college friend by meeting him in a class and finding out we both game. Now we play games online all the time and meetup on campus whenever possible.

But no, I have never met anyone online and then became friends in real life with them. I met some good people playing Neverwinter Nights HotU back in the day who I chatted with daily online while we played, but I wouldn't consider any of them real life friends. I couldn't even find them now if I tried.

#84 Posted by slyspider (1233 posts) -

Absolutely, I was in the SC2 amateur scene back before the new expansion released and had some teammates that really were awesome dudes. Most of them went on to DOTA or stopped playing games competitively (if you can call the amateur scene that, and I mean the REAL low amateur level, I was never very good at SC). I'm still in the League of Legends scene and play tournaments all the time. I've been on like 6 teams now and made some really cool friends out of there. Most of my League friends I keep up with and continue to talk to even if they were replaced on the starting roster/I left and joined another team.

#85 Posted by BobDobbsJR (4 posts) -

I met my first wife while playing The Shadow of Yserbius on TSN (The Sierra Network)

Take that WOW n00bz ;P

#86 Edited by TheDew (114 posts) -

I recently met this rad lady I'm talking to now through Velvet Sundown. Unfortunately she lives 2 states away but we've been talking everyday. Other than that I had a group of online friends I met a few years back, we were constantly using TeamSpeak and playing all sorts of games together (Counterstrike, Killing Floor, etc.). Haven't talked to them much in the last couple of years though.

#87 Posted by Marduke1913 (30 posts) -

not yet, but i think people will make friends through gaming as time goes on an tech becomes more integrated into our daily lives

#88 Posted by IamTerics (414 posts) -

If you mean strictly online then no. Offline, I've totally met and bonded through people with games.

#89 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1456 posts) -

Everyone I know through gaming has been through this website and mainly from Guild Wars 2. I've had chances to meet them in person by going to PAX East but things always come up and I'm cheap.

#90 Posted by ninjalegend (431 posts) -

Yeah. I made friends in grade school I would have never associated with if not for the love of games. I kind of miss having to talk with my friends about how to beat certain parts of games rather than just looking up a guide. It is one of the reasons I am so excited when a Souls game comes out. I have never met a friend online though. I think that may change as the internet as we know it today matures. I am waiting for the day I can post an unpopular opinion without getting killed by the vocal majority. When the opinion is met with rebuttal instead of rubbish.

"Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock." Sigmund Freud

#91 Edited by Mortuss_Zero (322 posts) -

I have basically the same definition of friend, I have only 3ish. So I get what you're talking about, especially as I also loathe playing Multi with randoms. But the important thing is that; hell yes I have! My second best friend I met through Dungeons and Dragons (I was his DM at our local game store), then it spread to video games and hanging out outside of Dnd. Now we buy games with the intent of playing them together even though we live in different cities. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is going to kick ass!

#92 Posted by Bedouin (46 posts) -

I have made some of my best friends through gaming especially back in college. All I had to do was walk around the halls of my dorm and people would be playing stuff with their doors open, so I would just come in and strike up a conversation and jump in on their game or watch them play some single player stuff. I also enjoy multi-player games though. Just get out there and meet more people and you're bound to find someone you have similar gaming interests to!