• 183 results
#1 Posted by Gibbs_Acolyte (162 posts) -
#2 Posted by Food (374 posts) -

It's hard to resist sometimes.  I always feel guilty about it, though, unless it's a game that is out of print and can only be bought used for over 100 dollars.

#3 Posted by ColinRyan (295 posts) -

Yar! I know talk like a pirate day was yesterday but damn it this thread just asks for it.

#4 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

If the game is less than 8 hours long and it's not AAA...

#5 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6654 posts) -

Nah, I don't even know how XD

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

A lot of people are going to say "No" even if they have. Dodge the question. Or just not say anything at all.

I did pirate a copy of Daggerfall a couple of years back though. It's free to download now on the Bethesda site so I don't feel too bad. it's just when people pirate games AND sell them for their own profit which I really hate.

#7 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I tried to copy fallout 2 a couple months back but I couldnt figure out how to make it so its playable when I downloaded it, I suck.

#8 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Yes, though not many. I only do it if it's something old or hard to find, perfect example was X-Com, I downloaded it with a pre-configured DOS box so it ran perfectely on Vista.

If we include NES and SNES ROMs, then I've got a lot of them [although about 70% of them I do actually own]

#9 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3660 posts) -

I pirate a lot of things. Games are not one of them.
I want this industry to thrive and actually buying games is the way I help it.

#10 Posted by xCJES (58 posts) -

Yeah, i usually pirate old PC games since i can't find them anymore since i'm in a small isolated community with like no electronic stores besides "The Source"

#11 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

Is it still considered 'pirating' if the game was never available for purchase even if you wanted to buy it? Stuff like the D&D side scrolling beat'em up games. Or what about a game like Total Carnage that had all the blood removed for the home version?

#12 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

Nope. And I am being 100% honest. First, my computer is crap so I don't play many computer games in the first place. Also, if I tried to illegally obtain a game I run the risk of getting viruses or other forms of spyware so I don't want to do that; my computer is already crap, like I said. Also, I find it just low in a sense. If I want a game, I am going to pay for it. I know some people are not going to believe anyone who picked option "B" because they think piracy is omnipresent these days but I truly have never pirated a game. And I feel pretty good about it.

#13 Edited by AltDimension (257 posts) -
Yeah, I've done it. Back when it was easy tho. Don't do it anymore as it's really not worth the effort.
#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@WitchHunter_Z said:
" Yes, though not many. I only do it if it's something old or hard to find, perfect example was X-Com, I downloaded it with a pre-configured DOS box so it ran perfectely on Vista.  If we include NES and SNES ROMs, then I've got a lot of them [although about 70% of them I do actually own] "
Actually I did pirate X-Com as well. The closest I had to the real thing was demo of it on a floppy disk I got with PCGamer magazine. I think a lot of people have have pirated S/NES roms (including myself) but we tend to attribute pirating with newer games.

In my defence I do own a SNES, two working ones in fact.
#15 Posted by catalystex (63 posts) -
@Brunchies said:
" I tried to copy fallout 2 a couple months back but I couldnt figure out how to make it so its playable when I downloaded it, I suck. "
Fallout 2 is 6 bucks on GOG why would you even bother?
#16 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

Give me an alternative to playing Super Robot Wars games in english and I'll stop.

#17 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

No. It's wrong.

#18 Posted by mikeeegeee (1537 posts) -

Are you a cop? you have to tell me if you're a cop, man.

#19 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

I don't think most of you have a clue what "pirating" is. Copying a video game and playing it isn't pirating. Making illegitimate copies of a product and then distributing them for profit is pirating. That's what organized crime groups do throughout the world with everything from games to movies to fake Prada handbags.

#20 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I'm firmly against exclusively pirating and never paying for games. The only time I download games illegally are when I can't wait for the postal system to deliver them to me.  
For example I downloaded three games over the last week, which I had preordered months ago, because of my impatience. They should be coming through my letterbox tomorrow morning.

#21 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

As hypocritical as I am, I do pirate video games despite me not liking the piracy destroying the gaming industry. Games I download are ones that are some years more old (4-5 years or beyond) and games that I want to play but am not willing to fork over $200 for (see The Sims 2 and its expansion packs).

#22 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" I don't think most of you have a clue what "pirating" is. Copying a video game and playing it isn't pirating. Making illegitimate copies of a product and then distributing them for profit is pirating. That's what organized crime groups do throughout the world with everything from games to movies to fake Prada handbags. "
Well that term's have always been a bit blurry for me. In that case, no, I'm not a pirate. Never will be.
#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -

Oh hell yes, all the time. But to justify it, I don't pirate more recent games that would suck profit from the companies or anything; just PS1 games down.

#24 Posted by DerekDanahy (859 posts) -

No, I give props to the people that make games I want to play.

#25 Edited by Karmum (11509 posts) -

Have I pirated a video game? No, I wouldn't download a video game and distribute it, I'd be asking for trouble. Have I downloaded a few video games? Yes, and much of the time I ended up buying the game afterward. Sometimes when demos aren't out and you don't want to take the word of reviewers, you try it out for yourself.

Does that justify my actions? Absolutely not.

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Yes, some Japanese games not available in North America.  I don't pirate games that are easily available though.  If I can buy it from a store I will, but games that I can't buy and I want to try out, I have found alternate sources.  Half the time they still don't work or require some sort of weird set up to run properly.  I'm just too lazy to go through all that. 

@Branthog said:

" I don't think most of you have a clue what "pirating" is. Copying a video game and playing it isn't pirating. Making illegitimate copies of a product and then distributing them for profit is pirating. That's what organized crime groups do throughout the world with everything from games to movies to fake Prada handbags. "

The MPAA would disagree with your definition of pirating.  They believe copying a movie for your own use that you've already purchased is stealing.  The RIAA also used to take that same stance but recently have mellowed on the subject since all the record labels are allowing DRM free music to be sold now.
#27 Posted by Falkenfluegel (15 posts) -

Of course, i mean, i m a gamer since the C64 times. We were young, we had no clue and everybody had a collection with 300 games, but no one of us ever saw a original game. Nowadays i don t pirate anymore, i earn my own money, buy the games i want and that s it. i dont have time for so many games anyway, so it s not that expensive.

#28 Posted by RipTheVeins (1540 posts) -

I thought about doing it once, for Batman AA (since I wasn't sure how the hell I'd be able to pay for it with school and no job and whatnot), but I just couldn't do it.

#29 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Bought an R4, pirated a load of games which ruined gaming on my DS for me, haven't played the thing in a year and a half.

#30 Posted by Fallen189 (4921 posts) -

Of course.

#31 Posted by Nexas (623 posts) -

I pirated some SNES games a few years back, but I got rid of them.

#32 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
It seems as though most of you have taken the high ground and only grabbed games that are old or hard to find.  Not me though, if its single player and on PC I am not paying for it.
#33 Posted by mdllewel (2 posts) -

Pirating a video game is not just downloading it and playing it. It is downloading it SELLING IT FOR PROFIT, and then either playing it yourself or having someone else play it. Otherwise all you are doing is coping a game, or backing up the game.

#34 Posted by _Nuno_ (183 posts) -
@mdllewel: Sorry, but if Pirating a video game required you to sell it, then Pirate Bay wouldn't have run into problems with the swedish government. Pirating a video game might just be copying a game from a friend for your personal enjoyment. That alone would be considered illegal I believe.
#35 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Lots. I got caught once, got my internet shut down because my ISP was called. I haven't pirated a game that can be purchased easily again. I got caught on the most stupid game, too.

I still do it, just with different ways than I used to, and never with new games.

#36 Posted by natetodamax (19141 posts) -

No, because I'm not a dumbass

#37 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

Tons. It's not my fault that alot of companies can't seem to figure out how to do the following: 

1. Worldwide release. I'm European. I really don't like waiting to get games just cause alot of other european dudes are too fucking lazy to learn English. 
2. Making decent PC ports, so to check to see how good or bad a certain console port is (I'm a PC gamer). 
3. Because they can't seem to do digital distribution properly, so I have to buy the game at a later date as a physical copy (I don't want stupid plastic boxes/discs really), because its 10-20 euro cheaper in stores. 
4. To release the game when it's done. Pirated games usually leak like a full week or more ahead of store date, for no apparent reason. 

And of course cause I'm a poor asshole, or was, but now a days I pay for all my games because I can afford it and also want the industry to survive. This reason isn't justifiable, the others are.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" Lots. I got caught once, got my internet shut down because my ISP was called. I haven't pirated a game that can be purchased easily again. I got caught on the most stupid game, too.  I still do it, just with different ways than I used to, and never with new games. "
Wait, what was that game? Was it something huge, like Halo 3? Or was it something embarrassing, like Custer's Revenge :P?
#39 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

Yes. but just once, I always buy pirated games. it's not pirating anymore is it?

#40 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Nope.  I've purchased all my games legit.  I'd screenshot all the games if you want proof.

#41 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@_Nuno_: Technically pirate bay made money through ads and the like, as fas as I know the site was really profitable.  While not directly selling games, they were still making money from offering pirated material.
#42 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

Nooooo of course not =D
#43 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yes

#44 Posted by Doupi (13 posts) -

Nearly 99% percent of the games I've played are pirated. Recently I started a work and started buying games for the PS3. If there was a way I'll gladly pirate ps3 games too.. I only buy games for multiplayer like, warcraft, cod4, cs:source, ect.

#45 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

yep most of the DS games i have are pirated, and PSP as well, I may want these games but not enough to purchased them they'd have to be of a better quality of me to purchase them at the price they want.

#46 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @PureRok said:
" Lots. I got caught once, got my internet shut down because my ISP was called. I haven't pirated a game that can be purchased easily again. I got caught on the most stupid game, too.  I still do it, just with different ways than I used to, and never with new games. "
Wait, what was that game? Was it something huge, like Halo 3? Or was it something embarrassing, like Custer's Revenge :P? "
Guitar Hero 3 for the PC.
#47 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

Yup, and I'm a games designer as well. lol

#48 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

I used to pirate a crapload of games, then I moved on to movies. The last game I downloaded was System Shock 2 because I'm not about to buy a shifty used copy of that game for the price I would pay for a game today. I used to own it though, so I'm not sure how bad this would be considered to be.

#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -
@PureRok: 

Yea, that's pretty damn embarrassing. Lucky for me, I limit myself to the oldies. That and my computer probably couldn't run Guitar Hero 3 :P.
#50 Posted by coolfurby (70 posts) -

you are all under arrest