Have you ever played a MUD?

aktillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By aktillum

So with 2012 right around the corner and so many new MMORPGs coming out all the time, has anyone ever played or still play a MUD? If you don't know what a MUD is, they're like the original MMORPGs. Lots of people still play them, and I actually still play Achaea in the background while Im playing CoD or whatevs. Alt+Tab ftw

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb

@aktillum: Original MMOs? Like Ultima? What's the definition of MUD?

Most likely no, since I don't know what it is.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

People still play MUDs?

I guess you can find anyone doing anything on the internet if you look hard enough.

Are they still totally crazy and grief-able?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've never played any type of MMO, so no.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Nope, never played a MUD game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

Once in a time. In my early internet years. when dial up was still a thing, and I would have to cover the computer in towels so my parents couldnt hear it up stairs in bed. about 13 years ago, in 1998, when i was 12.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Dimsey

I play them occasionally. I've played a decent chunk of Achaea myself, still go back to it from time to time but have trouble making myself commit to it.
About the only thing that keeps me from playing more of them is that most have no maps, which makes it kind of hard to navigate an all text enviroment.
It's pretty much why the only one I play consistantly is Hellmoo which actually has a useful, in-game map.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skogen

Wow. Haven't heard about MUDs in years.

aktillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By aktillum

@MikkaQ said:

People still play MUDs?

They are still extremely popular , there are many MUDs to choose from. I personally think Achaea is the deepest, but that's just my opinion

@Dimsey said:

I play them occasionally. I've played a decent chunk of Achaea myself, still go back to it from time to time but have trouble making myself commit to it. About the only thing that keeps me from playing more of them is that most have no maps, which makes it kind of hard to navigate an all text enviroment. It's pretty much why the only one I play consistantly is Hellmoo which actually has a useful, in-game map.

Dude, Achaea has a built-in map now! You just type MAP. Also, the Mudlet client (the best client for playing MUDs now, no more java or telnet or zmud crap) has a built-in map for Achaea, and auto-walking features

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By butano

I jump in and out of Achaea at random times. College roommate of mine was pretty into it, so that's how I started, and it helped me learn how to program scripts.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#12  Edited By Dimsey
@aktillum: Sweet, might have to give Achaea another look soon. The map problem really was the only thing that put me off of it.
ReanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReanA

I play Achaea, it's gotten really good last few years. Gods are becoming much more active, Divine interaction is no longer once a RL year thing, new trait/race system, new class, new class updates to every class through classleads, awesome tournaments every 50 in-game years. Should check it (or other Iron Realms games, each has their own flavor) out! There's a pay-for-perks system available for impatient people (or for those who like to support the games they play) or you can grind your way up to transcendence and artifacts. Lusternia has really cool questing systems too, while Imperian and Aetolia have really awesome classes and in-game prizes. Pick which game you'll likely be addicted to for years! :D

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I used to play Wyvern back in the day and I loved it. I don't even remember why I stopped playing, but I do know when I went to look for it again, the website and it's creator seemed to have just vanished off the face of the planet.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Mystyr_E

I think I clicked on this topic just to see if someone would explain what the hell a MUD was.

And now that I know......no.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Buscemi

I've played in MUD. But it's never been sexy so I gave it up.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. A long time ago I played MUDs. I cannot conceive why people still do other then they just prefer text over visual. I can understand that- I guess.

@TobbRobb: they're kind of like MMOs except only text. Its easier to explain by describing it as an online Text Adventure. Cus thats what it is. They're cool if you're into DnD maybe cus its a similar kind of thing I guess. Calling them the original MMO is a stretch though. They didn't have THAT many people per server, mainly because they were always niche to begin with.

The original guild wars but text only. Now that's more like it.

ReanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReanA

Thing about text > visual is the options are literally limitless in text, whereas visual will ALWAYS be restricted to what the devs can manage across a range of PCs large enough for business sales. The room for customization is exponentially larger in text games over visual games, but it does boil down to individual preference and a single question: do you want game depth or do you want pretty colors?

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rubberluffy

I played a lot of Waterdeep back in the day. It's still around, and so is my character (that I made Feb 2000), but its pretty deserted compared to how it used to be. There's 1 or 2 others I check from time to time and they have less and less people each time.

ReanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReanA

That's another thing I like about IRE games (Iron Realms Entertainment), their games usually have at least 50+ players on, sometimes 100+, other times 150+ (Achaea often has 200+). The games are also designed so that it feels like more people are playing due to the fact that there is so much player interaction. :)

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IAmNotBatman

HELL YEAH I HAVE!!! (I apologise).

No Caption Provided

On topic: I have never played a MUD, however they look more interesting than these MMOs.

BTW: I really am sorry for that.. thing.

aktillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By aktillum

@CornBREDX said:

I cannot conceive why people still do other then they just prefer text over visual. I can understand that- I guess.

Yes and no. I prefer MUDs because I enjoy reading very much, but I also play MMORPGs with graphics. I have some high level characters in City of Heroes. My eyes get tired from flying across the city after a couple hours. Plus with graphics I feel like I am just playing a character in a video game. In text, I feel like I am my character, seeing the world through their eyes (in my head)

@CornBREDX said:

The original guild wars but text only. Now that's more like it.

That's fairly accurate, but saying "text only" doesn't do MUDs any justice. Maybe 5 years ago, when people connected to MUDs using a Java client. However, today's MUDs are becoming pretty complex, and are starting to include some really nice GUIs and overhead maps.

@ReanA said:

do you want game depth or do you want pretty colors?

^This. Maybe in 2015 will video games finally have graphics awesome enough to look just like real life, and you'll be able to customize your character EXACTLY how you want them to look. But you still need a super awesome PC to handle the best graphics, so for right now, my brain creates better graphics than any Nvidia or Radeon card.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

@aktillum: then MUDs have advanced a lot since the 90s =P

But again I can see where you're coming from. I like Text Adventure games still and people think that's crazy. I totally get it, sometimes less is more =)

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nukesniper

Not at all. Runescape was my first MMO before I got a new computer. Then I built a computer for WoW. WoW ruined me and I played it for 4 years. Now I am free (To play way too much of every other game out there).

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TentPole

No, but I have played the hell out of some SCUMM games.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By PixelPrinny

I used to play Gemstone III and Dragonrealms years and years ago. Before that I played LORD back in the ancient days of BBSes.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@CornBREDX said:

Yes. A long time ago I played MUDs. I cannot conceive why people still do other then they just prefer text over visual. I can understand that- I guess.

Most MUDs are actually MOOs now, and allow higher-level players to create world content and locations. It can get rather interesting.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp

Like Aetolia?

I had a friend who was super into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I messed around with a MUD several years back. I think it was about vampires or something. I played it for like an hour, but it was the lamest shit ever so I never touched it again.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I was really into a MUD about a decade ago, I wonder if Moongate is still around...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Branthog

It's been quite awhile. The last one was probably on DJO, about eighteen years ago.