Have you ever played ICO? If you did, you're a misogynist.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Terramagi

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

People paid money for this? Feminism used to be cool, man.

what's "this"? A woman stating a correct opinion that wouldn't be controversial outside videogamer circles?

She shit on Dungeons of Dredmor because the "new female main character" was accompanied by various ethnicities and sexual preferences.

I'M NOT EVEN FUCKING KIDDING

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Terramagi said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

what's "this"? A woman stating a correct opinion that wouldn't be controversial outside videogamer circles?

She shit on Dungeons of Dredmor because the "new female main character" was accompanied by various ethnicities and sexual preferences.

Can we get a link on that, please?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By AlexW00d

If Yorba saved herself there would be no game at all.

Also the game is totally sexist... Towards men. It's all like "yo men you should do everything always". Damn sexists.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Terramagi

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Terramagi said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7336

"I didn't want to play this game because a bunch of sexist indie devs didn't have the funds to make a shitton of extra sprites for a female character. Now they put one in, but I can't play as a gay black woman."

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Laiv162560asse
@Nicked said:

@Jace said:

@stinky said:

@Jace said:

What if it was a little boy being pulled around by a girl instead? Do you think all the men would be in forums raging about a game that came out like 7 fucking years ago?

Don't you fucking people have something better to complain about?

why can't people think?

why was it not a boy? because the cliche is that women are powerless and need men to get through things.

if it was a girl leading a boy, people would assume the boy was sick, handicapped or a wimp and thus worthless.

what would be better for a woman to complain about than being thought an equal?

ugh, why do people want respect? derp.

"Why can't people think?"

Did you type that on accident or do you have trouble reading?

"Cliche is that women are powerless."

Oh, funny how the ruler of the castle they are in is a fucking QUEEN. Funny how you pick the parts that make your half-assed arguments look good on forums.

Try harder next time.

A lot of people have made the point that the Queen is powerful, but she's also totally demonic, so I don't think it's a very meaningful argument to make. She's the antagonist. The powerless girl is good and the powerful woman is evil.

I only ever played the demo, but Ico still seems like a game worth playing to me. However, I do think it's important to recognize what it is implicitly saying about women and how it might inform our culture or our ideas.

So let's break it down into components then. Ico contains one powerful, evil woman and one passive woman who is neutral (it's a stretch to call Yorda 'good'; her origins are a mystery). Are you saying that Ico contains an implicit message about how powerful women are evil and powerless girls are good? Because you definitely need to hunt out some more supporting arguments from the game if that's what you are alleging. It's a threadbare, uninteresting interpretation that ignores all the subtleties beyond 'the boy holds her hand and pulls her along'. The feminist interpretation necessarily ignores the fact that the boy is probably stronger because he's just arrived and the girl is weak from spending an unspecified amount of time in a cage. 

There is barely a single room that Ico can get past without Yorda. If he doesn't bring her with him, he can't get out. As the game progresses you're given the impression that perhaps Yorda was never meant to leave the castle, which presents another facet to her passivity. By the end of the game, it isn't Ico helping Yorda escape. So is the game an indictment of male power? A statement of how men present themselves as heroes as a means to furthering their own interests? A criticism of how men use women up and throw them away? The boy is an outcast, sacrificed because he has horns - does that, along with the emphasis on light and shadow in the game, make it an allegory about prejudice and race? No, not really - that's all just masturbatory waffle. But it has as much if not more supporting evidence than 'Ico is a male chauvinist game that says women have to be evil to be powerful'.

'Recognising what a game is saying about women' includes recognising when it is saying nothing. I don't think it's important to talk about Ico as a statement of gender roles at all, when there are so many other much more important things going on in that game - such as what it does for linear narratives in games; how it creates emotional resonance; how it creates a series of puzzlebox 'test chambers' which are not only believable as real spaces but mysterious and intimidating; how it creates a story with very little dialogue; how the specifics of the fantasy world in the game are fascinating (why the curse, who's the queen, etc); and how it is living proof that the style of your art and animation is more important than your raw graphical horsepower.

Unfortunately feminist theory has become the cheapest and easiest way for pseudo-intellectuals to make themselves appear all right on and progressive. It comes at the expense of meaningful and interesting discussion about games. I'm not part of the Pat-Klepek-hating brigade, but to use him as an example: he links to gender prejudice articles all the time, but I watched my first Ryan/Patrick QL yesterday and each of the women in the game were referred to by Klepek as 'chicks'. That's an example of the useless, tail-chasing posturing that much of the feminist discourse surrounding games amounts to - unproductive, unsubstantiated right on waffle, and that's definitely all this Ico thing is.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#156  Edited By galiant

Your thread title is bad and you should feel bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#157  Edited By Hailinel
@Terramagi

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Terramagi said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

"I didn't want to play this game because a bunch of sexist indie devs didn't have the funds to make a shitton of extra sprites for a female character. Now they put one in, but I can't play as a gay black woman."

Man, what.
Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Japanese games tend to be sexist. I've never played ICO, so I don't know about that game, but more than anything a hallmark of Japanese games is sexism.

@Hailinel said:

Art is shaped by and shapes culture, yes, but the game does not advocate treating women as inferior beings.

The point is that people shape culture and art is an expression of people's beliefs. Like how in Dead Rising most women won't use weapons, are worse at fighting, are slow, and many of them need their hand held. It isn't saying anything at all about them; it's assuming things about them. Clearly advocating a sexist belief is treating the subject as open for consideration, whereas assuming a sexist belief and never acknowledging it is treating that belief as an undisputed fact.

And Dead Rising isn't even really a problem because the game has a ridiculous tone. It uses caricature and absurdities throughout, of which sexism and racism can be a part. But games that are serious in tone and never talk about their inherent assumptions say something about the people who made them.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By mordukai

@Galiant said:

Your thread title is bad and you should feel bad.

Maybe the OP doesn't really know what Misogyny means. I do agree with you that the thread title is bad.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Laiv162560asse
@Cretaceous_Bob
Don't you see the irony of using the stereotype that says 'Japanese games tend to be sexist' while criticising gender based assumptions?
Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Arker101

Is this the same lady who got kickstarted to start a youtube series about this a while ago?

@Laivasse: What a fantastic post.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162  Edited By Ramone

But doesn't Yorda totally save Ico's bacon at the end?

EDIT: Also, yeah, the thread title is a misleading pile of garbage.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@Laivasse said:

@Cretaceous_Bob: Don't you see the irony of using the stereotype that says 'Japanese games tend to be sexist' while criticising gender based assumptions?

No, because a culture is a broad generalization of a subset of people's opinions, whereas a gender is not. You seem to not understand any concepts involved here.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Orbitz89

@Laivasse said:

@Cretaceous_Bob: Don't you see the irony of using the stereotype that says 'Japanese games tend to be sexist' while criticising gender based assumptions?

I don't see the irony at all, Japanese games do have a tendency to be more sexist than your average Western or European game, It's just the way their culture is.. Women are still thought of as second class or lesser people over in Japan if their entertainment media is any indication.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#165  Edited By Animasta

I really love how everybody is basing this on a fucking twitter post instead of waiting for an actual, I dunno, video or something.

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMONDS.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#166  Edited By Julmust

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

You aren't always right and people might not agree, tough luck. Welcome to the real world!

Feminists should stop thinking their views are the "correct", "progressive" and "good" ones and the only ones that should have a place in society. Most of you will blindly agree on anything that is labeled as feministic.

Feminist-analysis about culture is always so skewed to fit their political agenda that there really isn't much to argue about.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By smitty86

If there was a Hall of Fame for shitty threads, this would definitely be a first ballot-er.

And can we stop with the turning anything someone said on Twitter to a story. We all know Facebook is where the real news happens..... (sarcasm)

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Terramagi said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Terramagi said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is the same person. Also, you're kind of misrepresenting what she is saying. She is actually praising the game for its decision - though she laments why it wasn't in the game in the first place - and says it is a step in the right direction. All she is saying is the next step would be to add in some characters of different races. She does not specify gender, and sexual preferences aren't even bought up in her writing.

She is actually been quite reasonable in what she is saying, and is willing to acknowledge when a developer does something good. I hate to say it but you're starting to come across as quite sexist; it's getting rather uncomfortable, really.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#169  Edited By Animasta

@FlarePhoenix: you're right, that is a different person

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Laiv162560asse
@Cretaceous_Bob said:

@Laivasse said:

No, because a culture is a broad generalization of a subset of people's opinions, whereas a gender is not. You seem to not understand any concepts involved here.

Completely irrelevant. Saying a culturally based assumption is better because it ties into people's opinions does not make it better than a gender based assumption which usually makes no statements about opinion, but instead makes a broad generalisation about physical characteristics and social behaviour. The latter is even, surprise surprise, a cultural construct. You seem not to understand anything you are talking about.

@Orbitz89 said:

@Laivasse said:

I don't see the irony at all, Japanese games do have a tendency to be more sexist than your average Western or European game, It's just the way their culture is.. Women are still thought of as second class or lesser people over in Japan if their entertainment media is any indication.

You don't see the irony because you're only responding to the first part of the sentence. Yes, Japanese games tend to have some problems with female depiction, but it's no use accepting that and then saying all gender assumptions - eg. men are more physical, women empathise better, or whatever - are nonsense, purely because they are gender-based.
Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Nottle

Isn't Yorda blind or something?

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Animasta said:

@FlarePhoenix: you're right, that is a different person

Thanks, I was fairly sure but not one hundred percent certain. Still, it probably doesn't matter to him much; he seems rather determined to attack all feminists without regarding what they're saying. I actually read the post he linked (about Dungeons of Dreadmor), and the person was quite reasonable in what she was saying. His representation of what she said was so off base it's not even funny.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#173  Edited By Zleunamme

The title of this thread is more inflammatory than the tweet it was based on. I find this post to be accusatory and misleading. The tweet doesn't provide an explanation why the author found the game to be sexist. There are plenty of other games that are blatantly misogynist but ICO isn't one of them. There are better ways to address and discuss the role of women in that game.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god I'm going to burn in hell because I enjoyed a cute story book fairy tale.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#175  Edited By Brenderous

But.... what?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Before getting all up in arms about this why don't you wait for her video to be released where she will probably explain her reasoning.

She is being analytical of various trends in video games that she believes portray negative stereotypes towards women. While I never played the game myself I can see where she is coming from.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Meowshi

@Jolt92 said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

You aren't always right and people might not agree, tough luck. Welcome to the real world!

Feminists should stop thinking their views are the "correct", "progressive" and "good" ones and the only ones that should have a place in society. Most of you will blindly agree on anything that is labeled as feministic.

Feminist-analysis about culture is always so skewed to fit their political agenda that there really isn't much to argue about.

Everyone thinks their views are correct. Literally everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

You know, sometimes in school they let the boys go first in gym class. How sexist of them. Quite obviously. *roll eyes*

Astromarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Astromarine

jesus fucking christ.

OTOH, thanks to for injecting some sanity into this thread.

Everyone is screeching way too loudly over this. it's almost charming in its defensiveness and resentment. Bunch of MRA types scared of TEH FEMINISTS OMG.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#180  Edited By Brenderous

Doesn't Yorda become super powerful and end up protecting the boy?

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By prestonhedges

@Hailinel said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

If it's an opinion, it's not necessarily "correct."

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. The game is sexist. It's based on a boy saving a helpless princess. The thing is, it's supposed to be. That's the trope they chose to use. Like how Laura Bow 2 is racist because it features a pervy Chinese laundryman with a bad accent. But do you know why he's in there? Because it's set in the 20s, and that's how you get that shit across.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By iamjohn

I don't know what's worse: Feminist Frequency continuing to use her shtick for making facile, depth-lacking arguments that mostly serve no other purpose than starting flame wars she's all too happy to rile up while playing victim (as evidenced by her latest wonderful tweet), or the people in this thread who have turned this one crazy person into an excuse to make equally facile, depth-lacking screeds against feminism.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#183  Edited By Hailinel
@gladspooky

@Hailinel said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. The game is sexist. It's based on a boy saving a helpless princess. The thing is, it's supposed to be. That's the trope they chose to use. Like how Laura Bow 2 is racist because it features a pervy Chinese laundryman with a bad accent. But do you know why he's in there? Because it's set in the 20s, and that's how you get that shit across.

I don't think sexism means what you think it means.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By iamjohn

@Hailinel said:

@gladspooky

@Hailinel said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

Why are you even giving this extended joke character the time of day?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#185  Edited By BaneFireLord

Here we go again.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By TwoLines

Sexism and misogyny are two entirely different concepts. Is it misoginistic? No. Is it following an old trope of a knight in shining armor saving the princess? Yes. Is leaving short controversial messages a good PR move? Definitely.

Oh, and do a story on Mario while you're at it, cause Peach can't do shit by herself. Unless its a dream, then she's all "look at me, I can fly motherfuckers!".

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By FlarePhoenix

Alright, I should really be heading to bed but I'll just close off by saying this. All she has said is she found the game to be irritatingly sexist. Aside from the fact she never said the people who enjoyed it were sexist, she hasn't actually said why she believed it to be sexist. We're all just assuming she is referring to the fact a man has to drag a helpless woman around throughout the entire game. If we're so easily able to make that connection, doesn't that kind of give legitimacy to what she is saying? We are able to, on some level, acknowledge the game might appear sexist, but a lot of us aren't willing to accept it. Besides, you know what? I haven't heard a real reason why the game isn't sexist yet.

Regardless, this has to stop. We can't keep acting like the entire world is exploding every time someone has some criticism about a game. Disagree with it if you choose, but at least do it in a responsible and adult manner. Debate what is being said, don't attack the person saying it. We will all be better off if we could just accept what other people have to say. Games aren't going to change all that much if we do; all that will happen is the next big budget title might star a woman.

We're no longer in the days were every little thing someone says could spell the end for video games, and it's time we stopped acting like we are. I really want to get to a point where we can take on criticism, and really look at what is being said. If we find we don't agree, at least we have something to go back with. At least we can give reasons as to why we disagree. If the person doing the critiquing refuses to listen to what we say, they'll be ones in the wrong. Every time we throw a hissy fit like this, the critics win. We are willingly giving them all the power, and it is time to put an end to it.

We are gamers, it is time to show people we are willing to defend what we love, and it's time to show them we can do it like adults.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#188  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

You're all nuts.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By OllyOxenFree
No Caption Provided
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Jams

She finds (and will continue to find) everything sexist in everything she sees. It's just like a racist finds race issues even when they may not be there. Their life isn't worth living if they don't find something to fight about, so if there wasn't sexism, racism, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. These people thrive off of hate and fear. The scary part is when these people start gaining traction and get heard more than they should.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By coaxmetal

Ico was a good game

esp in HD

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#192  Edited By musubi

God this thread is dumb.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#193  Edited By krazy_kyle

@JoeyRavn said:

@krazy_kyle said:

Feminists are slowly climbing up my list of most hated people.

I have the feeling you haven't read jack shit about feminism and you base your opinion on what you understand "feminism" to be solely on a vocal minority. If so, I suggest you make the effort to understand what you're criticizing before claiming you hate it. Don't mistake the message for the messenger, or, rather, the message for whatever ulterior agenda the messenger may have.

You felt wrong. I know there are genuinely decent feminist folk out there but I still think it does get taken out of proportion and some feminists just become sexists themselves and lets face it, I'm sick to death about hearing about the "over-sexualization" of videogame characters where the focus is mainly on female game characters and to an outsider, no one gives a dick about over-sexualized male videogame characters.

I see an angry mob over the horizon any minute now.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By thedj93

@AuthenticM said:

@Shady: You're right, it is laziness. But this laziness has engendered a skewed and sexist view of gender roles. There is a misconception that for a work to be sexist or contain sexist elements, then its author has to be knowingly sexist and purposely inserted said sexism in said work. This is not true. I won't take Fueda as an exemple because after reading his comments on why he made the protagonist of The Last Guadian a boy instead of a girl, I do believe that the guy is sexist, at the very least unconsciously. Take Miyamoto and Princess Peach. Another great exemple of a video game using simple tropes which have caracterized works of countless authors since the dawn of time: the knight and the princess. The deal is the same as in Ico. I don't believe for a second that Miyamoto is sexist; but whether or not he is is irrelevant to the matter. The fact is, the games he made still use the concept of the helpless female princess who must be rescued by the brave chivalrous man. Regardless of the intent behind such games, they are still perpetuating the notion that helpless females must be rescued by none other than men. It is a sexist notion, because it makes use of predefined gender roles which in no way reflect our reality.

instant follow

Astromarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Astromarine

@FlarePhoenix said:

Alright, I should really be heading to bed but I'll just close off by saying this. All she has said is she found the game to be irritatingly sexist. Aside from the fact she never said the people who enjoyed it were sexist, she hasn't actually said why she believed it to be sexist. We're all just assuming she is referring to the fact a man has to drag a helpless woman around throughout the entire game. If we're so easily able to make that connection, doesn't that kind of give legitimacy to what she is saying? We are able to, on some level, acknowledge the game might appear sexist, but a lot of us aren't willing to accept it. Besides, you know what? I haven't heard a real reason why the game isn't sexist yet.

Regardless, this has to stop. We can't keep acting like the entire world is exploding every time someone has some criticism about a game. Disagree with it if you choose, but at least do it in a responsible and adult manner. Debate what is being said, don't attack the person saying it. We will all be better off if we could just accept what other people have to say. Games aren't going to change all that much if we do; all that will happen is the next big budget title might star a woman.

We're no longer in the days were every little thing someone says could spell the end for video games, and it's time we stopped acting like we are. I really want to get to a point where we can take on criticism, and really look at what is being said. If we find we don't agree, at least we have something to go back with. At least we can give reasons as to why we disagree. If the person doing the critiquing refuses to listen to what we say, they'll be ones in the wrong. Every time we throw a hissy fit like this, the critics win. We are willingly giving them all the power, and it is time to put an end to it.

We are gamers, it is time to show people we are willing to defend what we love, and it's time to show them we can do it like adults.

Marry me. It's legal in some states. I'm willing to move.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By prestonhedges

@iAmJohn said:

@Hailinel said:

@gladspooky

@Hailinel said:

@Astromarine said:

@Jolt92 said:

Why are you even giving this extended joke character the time of day?

Neither of you guys know how to read, do you?

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By thedj93

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@kashif1 said:

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

You're both missing the point. It's not about a few games that present women poorly. It's about an industry wide lack of positive female narrative. Playing up tropes as story devices is expected, they're tropes for a reason. What's bad is the seeming inability to escape those tropes. The constant repetition ingrains them to the point of alienation, and the lack of positive female narrative means those who are alienated by the constant barrage of negative portrayal don't really have another (good) game to turn to. It's essentially the industry, and to some extent the player base, saying that they don't want intelligent women playing their games.

While I'm not a female, as a minority I have a similar struggle with gaming. I've never found a video game character I can relate to and the lack of characters I can project on and attach myself to means that the majority of video games I enjoy are either extremely abstract or enjoyed in a strictly strategic or analytical way.

You really have not found anyone in the entire medium? The industry does have a problem with this but I find it hard to believe you havn't found some character somewhere to relate to.

Not many lower class native American/Caucasian mixed characters in gaming, and I'm pretty sure natives are one of the groups with the least representation and almost all of it being some sort of crazy stereotype.

yeah and the only video game character of indian origin that ive played as was dhalsim. not exactly a modern interpretation to say the least

EDIT: indian as in south asian descent not native to the americas

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Jams

@thedj93 said:

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

@kashif1 said:

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

You're both missing the point. It's not about a few games that present women poorly. It's about an industry wide lack of positive female narrative. Playing up tropes as story devices is expected, they're tropes for a reason. What's bad is the seeming inability to escape those tropes. The constant repetition ingrains them to the point of alienation, and the lack of positive female narrative means those who are alienated by the constant barrage of negative portrayal don't really have another (good) game to turn to. It's essentially the industry, and to some extent the player base, saying that they don't want intelligent women playing their games.

While I'm not a female, as a minority I have a similar struggle with gaming. I've never found a video game character I can relate to and the lack of characters I can project on and attach myself to means that the majority of video games I enjoy are either extremely abstract or enjoyed in a strictly strategic or analytical way.

You really have not found anyone in the entire medium? The industry does have a problem with this but I find it hard to believe you havn't found some character somewhere to relate to.

Not many lower class native American/Caucasian mixed characters in gaming, and I'm pretty sure natives are one of the groups with the least representation and almost all of it being some sort of crazy stereotype.

yeah and the only video game character of indian origin that ive played as was dhalsim. not exactly a modern interpretation to say the least

EDIT: indian as in south asian descent not native to the americas

That'd be Sikh!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#199  Edited By huntad

Ah, so we're back on this shit again.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers