have you ever used a guide for a game and regret it?

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lemon360

i have several times when i got super stuck at some parts. afterwards i felt so bad about it i stopped playing the game altogether or i finished it while feeling very bad about myself, feeling stupid for not getting the task at hand. It was either painfully obvious what to do or i would have eventually gotten it if i commited myself. Even if i used a guide for only 1% of a game i still felt bad and me beating it made the accomplishment feel empty and hollow :(

i heavily used guides for ocarina of time, oracle of ages, and oracle of seasons, Several other zelda games i've had a bit of help with. God i regret not doing ocarina by myself. :*(

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I hate using guides for the Phoenix Wright games.  It just feels wrong.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sam and Max.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MKHavoc

I've never regretted using a guide because I would regret not finishing a game even more.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

most of the resident evil series when i was young. 

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Absurd

I love adventure games, but I'm too dumb to figure them out for myself, so I often use guides for those. Shooters: I never need a guide for them.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By macandcheese

Yeah Assassins Creed, I used it to find the flags but most some of the flags were miss labled in the guide and I ended up having to se an online site that had better maps and I had to try and find where the like 4 flags I missed were. took like 9 hours to get all the flags.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Clubvodka

Point and click games where I become addicted to using it and totally ruin the game.

Persona 3, I've been using it for bosses, I like a challenge but I put it on normal and I normally like my RPGs to be cakewalks and this wasn't.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I remember using a guide for Paper Mario, still not being able to beat the final boss with it. I lost it (both the game and the guide), and a good five or six years later, I bought a used copy of it at a Gamestop. Without any memory of what the guide taught me before (besides the little stair trick near the end of the game), I got through the whole game, Bowser boss and all, with ease.

Like Absurd said, I end up using guides to almost every adventure game I can think of, such as Grim Fandango. I really play those games just to see how the awesome story will unfold. Still, the puzzles, no matter how preposterous and far-fetched they are, always makes me feel stupid. I'd like that achieving feeling when I solve some of those crazy Grim Fandango puzzles. Alas, it didn't happen. Still an awesome game, though.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nick

Yeah I used a guide for part of Ocarina of Time back in the day, totally regretted it.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i dont regret using a guide because  i use a guide as a last resort 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

No, never.  I use a guide when I am stuck or am too lazy to work through the task at hand.  Often I use guides to help me better develop my character as I play through the game.  Is this skill going to be useful throughout the game, or am I just wasting my skill points?  These are things I want to know.  What is the recipe I need to create a specific spell or item?  This is something I look up in a guide.  What is the weakness of a trash mob?  What items does it drop?  I'll glance at a guide for that easy information. 

I'm (A) not all that patient and (B) in it for the fun, so I don't have any problems using guides.  I don't sit down and read the whole thing before I start even playing, and I tend to only research through the guide for specific information, but I have yet to regret using one in any game I've played. 

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ekajarmstro

I've definitely regretted it in old PC games, like Myst.  On the other hand, I'm proud to have beaten Braid without using a guide at all.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By mordukai

Nope.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By wosifat

When a friend of mine moved, he gave me most of his PS and PS2 games, including Dark Cloud 2, along with a guide he had bought for it.  A couple times I've looked at it when I just could not figure something out, and immediately regretted it because pretty much every time I look in that thing I end up having something spoiled.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kazu666

I used a guide for the Water Temple of OoT. I think without it i would still be trying it today XD

Any other times i've used a guide is usually on my second play through of a game.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#17  Edited By JackiJinx

I use a guide when I just want to get through a game as quickly as possible. I know I've regretted using them, but can't think of particular times. I'd say Braid (yes, I used a guide for Braid), but I didn't really like the game in the first place. 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tebbit

Riven. I was so damn close to figuring out the puzzle too. It turns out the key was in the roof...

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By j0rdan

I used one for Tomb Raider 2 when it first came out.

Spoilt it and have nevr used one since.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Verdugo

For the final colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, I resorted to using an online guide to figure out how to kill the damn thing.

It was so obvious that I pretty much kicked myself for not figuring it out myself.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By StarFoxA

I've used guides so many times in games that I'm absolutely tired of playing, but really want to finish,

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#22  Edited By citizenkane

I have only used a guide twice:  Super Mario 64(Official Guide) and Fallout 3(wiki).  I don't regret either of them.

Drrizzit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Drrizzit

Its k man, i know how u feel. I only go to guides when i get reallly man. I have a wow dungeon guide though that i don't feel too bad about

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sick_J0ke

Guides are great if you're stuck at a place in the game and have spent over an hour trying to move on. They're bad when you use it throughout the entire game. At that point, you're too busy reading the guide and trying to do everything possible within the game to actually enjoy it. 

Avatar image for dirtyfootprints
dirtyfootprints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By dirtyfootprints

yeah i kinda regret using a guide for fallout 3 even though i only used it to find locations.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

no, only time i feel bad is when the thing that i used a guide for is easy to get or something that i could have found on my own. i sometimes use guides to beat a game. something that i think of first is resident evil for n64 as that game was hard with the puzzles.

erik_wolff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By erik_wolff

I tend to use guides more for the actual reading than for getting through the games. Although guides for games like Morrowind and Oblivion can come in quite handy for alchemy recipes and whatnot.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Black_Rose

For the last few levels of Zack & Wiki... :'(

Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deathdealer108

I used a guide for pokemon yellow that told where each pokemon could be captured. I felt a little cheap especially because my friend found all of them without a guide. I just really wanted the 150.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illmatic

Used it for Tales of Vesperia. Wasn't enough to push me to finish the game. Makes me wonder if I would've liked it more if I didn't use one.