Have you hated a game, but liked a later game in the series?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I can't begin to express my white-hot hatred of the original Scribblenauts; every single thing about that game was a horrible clunky mess. I only made it past a handful of levels before I sold the game in absolute disgust.

Anyway, enough about my hatred of Scribblenauts; I ended up buying Scribblenauts Unlimited during the Steam sale, and I really enjoyed it. It still does have its little quirks - thankfully, the majority of issues can be solved by the Steam Workshop and the item creator. Also, the ability to actually type things with a device intended for typing is an absolute godsend. Not to mention the fact that it builds on Super Scribblenauts' ability to use adjectives.

So, have you played a game and hated it, only to play a later game in the franchise and enjoy it?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Quite a bit, actually.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The first one or two Hitman games are really, really rough, but Blood Money is one of my all-time favorite games.

ilovebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't enjoy Fallout 3, but ended up really liked New Vegas.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

The Darkness II. I remember trying my hardest to like the first Darkness but it was oppressive in its story, visuals, and eventually its gameplay. Once I learned how much more I had to play to beat it, I resigned to just watching the GB guys do it (much better decision). On the other hand, I felt like while still a 4-star game, I absolutely loved The Darkness II by comparison. Thematically it was also way more interesting, fun gameplay, and a hell of an end sequence. Oh and Dirt 2. For one reason or another the original Dirt was a frustrating mess when I played it on mouse and keyboard. Dirt 2 on controller was night and day difference and I love that franchise now.

But that's pretty much all I can think of. Most games I like later in a franchise I picked up knowing that revisiting the earlier ones would be frustrating. I'm like that with RE4 for instance, loving that but knowing I wouldn't stand the way RE1-3 play. Same with Prince of Persia (love 2008, want nothing to do with the rest)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

Assassins Creed, RE, Uncharted are some from this generation that won me over.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clonedzero

I didn't like Assassin's Creed one at all. It was super repetitive, awful story. I thought the whole animus thing was dumb. (still do)

I really loved Assassin's Creed 2 though.

Just make an Assassins Creed game without the animus, its not needed. You don't need a clever meta explaination for a hud or menus. It'd also help get rid of those retina searing white transition / loading screens. Half the time playing AC games i feel like some jerk is sitting there with a flashlight just randomly flashing me in the face whenever i interact with something.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff
  • Oblivion, I just didn't get it - Skyrim, It just clicked with me instantly
  • GTA3, thought it was ok - San Andreas, better gameplay, story, randomness

I'll say looking at my games and what I've beat...more cases of I like the first one in a series and the sequels not as much. EDIT: Yeah looking at my games I could name close to ten franchises were I prefer the original games over the later ones.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

It's hit and miss for me really.

I loved Daggerfall, hated Morrowind and Oblivion, but loved Skyrim.

I hated Saints Row, only kind of liked Saints Row 2, and absolutely adore Saints Row 3.

I thought GTA 1 and 2 were meh, GTA 3 was fucking marvelous, and every GTA since then has been shit.

NBA Street was pretty bland, but NBA Street Vol 2 was a fucking masterpiece of a game.

Hated Need for Speed 1 and 2. Need for Speed 3 was the shit.

So it's kind of all over the place, but there are a few examples.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Nodima

I thought Gran Turismo was pretty dumb all things considered. Who wants to race real cars and race real cars realistically at that?

But then Gran Turismo 2 came out, and it was cocaine. Then Gran Turismo 3 came out, and it was crack.

I haven't touched the series since, but I turned around pretty hard on that series during the PS1/2 era.

Also, though fairly different and unrelated to this topic, I tried Morrowind and Oblivion, both of which were terribly unfun to me. But Fallout 3 was an addiction from the beginning.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Red Steel was balls, but Red Steel 2 was pretty good.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yup, I didn't like any of the Elder Scrolls games at all until Skyrim, which I really like.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say for sure since I haven't played it but the new Killzone actually looks decent to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never hated a game and loved a sequel, but I have been really "meh" about a game and loved the sequel. I felt Assassin's Creed 1 was very "meh", but got sucked into AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations pretty hard. I never really gave Saints Row much thought, found 2 to be very enjoyable, and 3 is one of my favorite games, though I wish the missions were less side-mission introductions.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of the reverse for me.

I loved Mass Effect 1, 2 was just OK, and 3 was a pile of crap.

Liked Morrowind, LOVED Oblivion, and hated Skyrim.

Loved Bioshock 1, 2 was just as good, and Infinite was horrible in every way.

So yeah, reverse.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Fearbeard

The Darkness series

Granted, I played the first Darkness several years after it had come out and it had not aged well. But I loved just about everything about the Darkness 2. The first games controls were just off-putting, and the mission structure was kind of annoying constantly heading back to the subway station. On the other hand, the second game controlled great making combat a lot of fun and the more linear mission structure made the pacing in the game much better.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Mortal Kombat, and Elder Scrolls come to mind. I could not stand the old mortal combat games or oblivion but loved Skyrim and enjoyed MK9.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nights

I hated the first Assassin's Creed, but I loved its sequel. Perhaps hate is a strong word, but I certainly wasn't a fan of it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I didn't enjoy Deus Ex but ended up having a great time with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

yeah what you want some?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Raven10

Killzone is the only one I can say I hated the first game in a series and liked later ones. I didn't love the first AC or the first Uncharted but the first Killzone was one of the worst games I ever had the displeasure of playing.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Dynasty Warriors: Gundam franchise comes to mind. G2 was a drag, very slow, clunky and generally undynamic. But this issue was greatly improved in G3, which I found rather addicting :)

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you asked the opposite question, I'd have 20 answers for you.. (games I liked whose sequels boiled my blood).

But no, there aren't any franchises where I disliked one and then liked a sequel.

I loved the first/original Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Crysis, Deus Ex, STALKER, Mass Effect, GTA, you name it.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed 1 was not a bad game...but the second one is 4000 times better.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Assassin's Creed. Maybe not hated, but there are few games that bored and disappointed me more than the original. Assassin's Creed II is one of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Assassin's Creed and Borderlands. Borderlands is kind of odd, the first one just bored me to tears. Something about the setting and gameplay just didn't click with me at all. I really like 2 though but nothing seems to have really changed so I don't know what's different. Well the humors worse so that's not it.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Hitman Contracts and just did not like it at all. I got Blood Money a couple of years ago for cheap and enjoyed it a lot more. Still haven't finished it though...

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really disliked inFamous the first time I played it. People generally seemed to love it and especially the ending but it didn't do much for me and thought the ending was guff. Loved the second game though. Went back and played the first after that and it's allright. I guess.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Zlimness

Assassin's Creed. Best example of this I feel. AC1 was a complete turkey. It's a chore to play through. So fucking boring and repetitive. AC2 on the other hand is one of the finest games this generation.

Saints Row 1-2. Did not care for that series at all until SR3.

Just Cause. Bland and mediocre. Second game: YES! YES!

Red Dead Revolver. I thought Revolver was forgettable and a waste of time. Redemption was epic!

Forza. Forza 1 was slow and ugly. The 30fps really killed my joy with that game. Forza 2 looks so much sharper and played so much better. Many Forza fans got hooked with Forza 1, but I had to wait until Forza 2.

Final Fantasy. Never cared for FF. I played 20-30 hours of FF8 and FF10, but I usually got to a place where I got stuck and never wanted to play another FF game again. I played through FF12 and loved the new combat system so much, I played through the entire game.

Far Cry. Hate is a strong word to use with the first game. I didn't hate FC. But when you peel off the layers of pretty graphics, it's a really standard shooter. FC2 is hot garbage for reals though. Yo, you like a FPS where every dude take so many bullets from a .50 cal, the gun is more likely to overheat than you killing anyone? FC3 is the first Far Cry game I actually enjoyed a lot.

mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have this thing where im playing trough every Final Fantasy game. ( Except the MMOs) And i was disapointed with the 2 first. I even just gave up on 2 cause i couldnt even figure out where to go.
First was ok but it got boring fast. 3-6 ( im playing 6 at the moment) are pretty damn good.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough Question for me. Hmmmm don't know can't think of anything.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If we can count reboots than Tomb Raider for me, I never liked any of the games up until the reboot earlier this year.

Not counting reboots, I hated Devil May Cry 2 but liked 3 so much it surpassed DMC1 as my favourite in the series.