• 53 results
Posted by Geralt (332 posts) 11 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Have you played more than 75% of the game GB crew discuss/will discuss in GOTY this year? (200 votes)

Of course! 38%
Don't be ridiculous! 62%

I was just wondering. For a enthusiast website like Giantbomb, how many of its members actually ready for GOTY deliberation podcast.

I'm pondering over the option of holding the GOTY consumption until I can finish most of this year game...should take about a month.

#1 Posted by Jaytow (703 posts) -

This has been the year I'm finally too busy with life to play many games, it sucks.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

I dunno, give me a list.

#3 Edited by hermes (1591 posts) -

I thought I was up to date (or close), until they started talking about Proteus and some other stuff.

#4 Posted by Turambar (6849 posts) -

Not at all. Certainly won't stop me or anyone else from judging them for their poor GOTY choices though!

#5 Edited by believer258 (12106 posts) -

I spent most of this year diving into Japanese games and, more specifically, Atlus's catalog. Nah, not even close. I don't even know what Puppeteer is.

#6 Posted by Zaccheus (1801 posts) -

I can't really make an exact count since there is no official list, but I think it's at least close to 75%. Especially since they talked about Puppeteer a lot and none of them had played that much of it (I played the demo). I think I'm as qualified as they are when it come to playing games that came out this year.

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3610 posts) -
#8 Posted by mosespippy (4379 posts) -

75% of them all? No. 50%? Maybe. Short free things like Bubsy3d.com and Candy Box 1 & 2 help with the averages though.

Have I played 75% of the games that they will talk about that actually interest me? Yes.

#9 Posted by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

dont think i have, have not played anything this year.

#10 Posted by BoFooQ (724 posts) -

On my list of stuff I want to play and haven't gotten to yet is: Papers, please, Last of us, Brothers, and all next/now gen games and nintendo stuff. Really the only current gen stuff I want to play is resogun and dead rising. I do always love these lists cause I hear of stuff for the first time. So far sounddodger is something I've got to look into.

#11 Posted by Dalai (7057 posts) -

The thing is I don't have the gaming stamina of 6 people. I'm only one guy and the dozen or so 2013 games I played this year is high for me personally.

#12 Posted by TheBlue (426 posts) -

A lot of games that they talk about are games they've been talking about all year. Even though I've played very few games that they'll discuss, mainly any PC game as I don't have the proper hardware to play most PC games, I feel like I've watched them play most of these games to still enjoy the deliberation.

#13 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Probably not, I've bought very few new games this year.

#14 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

Ive played me some games. Though, Im in foreign territory whenever nintendo comes into the mix.

#15 Posted by dr_mantas (2017 posts) -

I played quite a few, but there were a lot of games. It seems like they themselves haven't played most of them, just one or two of them have.

#16 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

The only major thing I haven't finished is GTAV. Probably never will unless it comes to PC.

#17 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

In years past I have played the majority of big games they would talk about. Was nice as it freed me from spoilers and gave me games to root for in their discussion. This year I have not so much done that. Today's categorys are going to be hurting. I don't want games like Last of Us and Gone Home spoiled but I will listen anyway, because who knows when I will get to them.

#18 Edited by probablytuna (3807 posts) -

I think I'm gonna skip most of the GOTY deliberations this year until I've finished The Last of Us and GTA V. Really don't want them spoiled for me.

#19 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

Not me. I really haven't played too many of the indie and smaller games this year yet. I'm usually pretty behind on those but then they start hitting big on stuff like Steam sales and I ended up getting them.

Kind of been this way for me a few times in the last couple years and last year it would have made a huge deal on my GOTY thoughts (with Hotline Miami for example, which was better than advertised to be through GOTY talk).

#20 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Nope... i only played Bioshock infinite ,last of us, Animal Crossing, Deus Ex HR ,SSX,Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, ICO,Vanquish, Deadly Premonition,Okami HD, GTA5 this year,that's quite a few games but not nearly 75 %

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

Nope because they won't mention a lot of the games I liked.

#22 Edited by erhard (436 posts) -

I barely play video games.

#23 Posted by PimblyCharles (1618 posts) -

The only major thing I haven't finished is GTAV. Probably never will unless it comes to PC.

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely refuse to play it until it comes out on PC, PS4 or XBOne

#24 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@flacracker said:

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely refuse to play it until it comes out on PC, PS4 or XBOne

It's going to come to PC at least.

Anyways, I loved it on 360 but it would be amazing looking on PC. It's only a matter of time.

It was maybe my best looking game of the year and I was a little dissapointed not to hear it brought up on GOTY. I think I'd probably just have to put Bioshock Infinite over it.

#25 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Don't know about 75%, but for the first time I feel like I don't have to worry about spoilers.

#26 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I'm typically about two years late when it comes to playing games, so hell no. I at least know what most of the games actually are this year though. I have plenty of spoilers to worry about though as I'm still working on Infinite and Tomb Raider and I'm still very far off from purchasing The Last Of Us.

#27 Edited by Skyfire543 (750 posts) -

I've played a lot of games this year. Enough that I don't care about spoilers. I don't know about 75% of them though

#28 Edited by BBAlpert (1562 posts) -

The only thing I'm worried about being spoiled (which isn't even a story thing) is whatever "that one scene" is in DmC Devil May Cry that they were hinting at. Whatever "that one scene" is, I don't know, but from the way they talked about it, it sounds pretty incredible.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

I played, like, 3 games that might possibly be in contention for something (tomb raider and blood dragon and antichamber)

so no

#30 Posted by Milkman (17202 posts) -

I mean, I haven't done the math but yeah, probably.

#31 Posted by ripelivejam (4627 posts) -

i bought a ton of games this year (not really AAA titles and not all released this year) but barely have completed any. it's a really bad problem. i think (one) of my new year's resolutions will be to clear the crap out of my backlog and not buy anymore damn games until then. :D

also i just started playing DmC and hell if isn't damn entertaining, regret not picking it up sooner.

#32 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Nope, not even close. I have to budget my game purchases, so i typically only get one game a month? sometimes skip a month, sometimes two games in one month. But yeah. There are a couple games i did not play but i can follow conversation about them. The Last of Us, i watched on youtube, some guy edited together all the gameplay and inventory stuff so it watched alot like a movie I also didnt play Bioshock Infinite but ive had that game so ruinously spoiled for me several times that i said screw it and just spoiled the rest for myself.

I could list off the games that i did and didn't play but i don't think anyone cares. But no, theres alot of games i didn't play but would like to. And alot of games that i look at and have no interest in.

#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5909 posts) -

My current blindspots are Assassins Creed IV, Super Mario 3d World, Saints Row IV, Guacamelee and The Swapper. I've played basically everything else I'm interested in that seems like it might come up.

#34 Posted by Humanity (9871 posts) -

Yah, but then again sometimes I feel as if I play more games than the Bomb Crew does and I don't even get paid for it (I mainly do it because playing games is fun).

#35 Posted by TobbRobb (4818 posts) -

I've probably played half or something like that. Actually maybe a little less. A lot of the big hits this year were very much not up my alley.

#36 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I've played about 2%. Busy year.

#37 Edited by laserguy (453 posts) -

I dont play 75% percent of what I buy.

#38 Edited by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

I'm catching up now. I'm going through all of the games that have been critically acclaimed such as Papers, Please, The Stanley Parable, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, The Wolf Among Us and eventually Gone Home if there's a flash sale on it. I’m also getting my Xbox One in less than a few days from now so I’ll be playing exclusives on that. I have regrettably not played The Last of Us yet or Assassins Creed IV and I don’t own any Nintendo products so all discussions relating to that are beyond me.

I'm holding up pretty well in these podcasts so far though.

#39 Edited by Geralt (332 posts) -

The fact that 2 out of 5 people here have played more than 75% (or somewhere around that) of the major and "important" games released this year is pretty impressive.

I'm quite surprised to be honest. Last year I've managed to play every top 10 games (the site list) and the feeling you get when listening to the deliberation podcast was something else. I missed that this year. Life just got in the way.

#40 Posted by StarvingGamer (8476 posts) -
#41 Posted by csl316 (9268 posts) -

Oddly enough, the podcasts have been a good motivator to stay current on games and finish the more story-intensive ones. I probably would've stupidly skipped Bioshock if it wasn't for these.

#42 Posted by JeanLuc (3605 posts) -

I've played a far number of games this year (39 to be exact), but I still missed games like Brothers, Beyond Two Souls, etc. So I don't know, maybe? I try to get gaming in whenever I can, but college has been really weighing me down this year.

#43 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

nope and it sucks cause I don't want any spoilers until I play them. oh well guess I'll just miss out on the discussion.

#44 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -

I have a job.

#45 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6011 posts) -

I've played most of the top contenders, 75% is like HoF ballot stupidity though.

#46 Posted by bluefish (531 posts) -

I've played probably %75 of the mainstream releases they talk about. When it comes to all the indi and browser stuff I'm more miss than hit for lack of available time and proper platform.

hint: I don't have a PC

#47 Posted by McLargepants (398 posts) -

I think the only ones I haven't played at all are A Link Between Worlds and Metal Gear Rising, and none of the XOne games. There are definitely games I missed this year but they don't seem to be coming up often at all.

#48 Edited by CornBREDX (5839 posts) -

I've only not played one or two.

#49 Posted by Otogi (268 posts) -

Not at all, to the point that I think I've only played Saint's Row IV this year. I've been mostly going through older games via mods or on GOG. Can't afford new consoles, can't afford most new retail games (or even slightly older retail games) and even games like Swapper, Paper's Please and Gone Home are just games I can't get.

Tell you what, though, it's been a great year for Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 3, Fallout 1, Civ V, Kentucky Route Zero, Arcanum, Chivalry and Under a Killing Moon.

#50 Posted by Zornack (202 posts) -

I think the only thing I haven't played yet that they've discussed is The Stanley Parable, which I'll probably play later tonight. I'm sure it'll come up in Best Moment/Sequence and I'd rather not have it spoiled.