#1 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

I'm likely giving up on my 5.1 surround sound system (some decade old THX-certified logitec set). It's getting a bit dingy. To really get the most out of it, I'd have to turn it up loud - not something I like to do to my neighbors anyways. Muted surround sound doesn't really make all too much sense to begin with.

So I'm looking into alternatives for my high quality surround sound needs. I'm thinking I'll go with a 7.1 headset, but those are expensive and people's opinions are divided regarding sound quality - many prefer virtual surround sound on high quality stereo headphones.

Making some inquiries, I've found that Sony has a great looking line of 7.1 (virutal) stereo headsets made especially for Playstation. The Wireless Pulse something something. It's looking fantastic. It apparently works on PC too. Playstation 4 will eventually support it, but it'll come with a firmware update post launch.

Does any of you have any experiences with this particular headset? Is it worth its salt (150$)? Any other headset solutions I should look into for my Playstation 4 gaming and movie needs?

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on another Sony solution, which fits my needs better, since it's platform agnostic. My TV has optical out, so I can grab the audio off my TV - so it'll work with both PS4 and Xbox One (which I intend to get eventually), as well as regular TV and such. Also, it's got 16-20 hours battery life, rather than just 4-6 hours like the Pulse ones. I guess if I need to chat, I'll just stick that earbud thingy that comes with the box into the headphones.

#2 Posted by bombedyermom (221 posts) -

Check out Turtle Beach headphones. They have surround-sound headphones that can work across platforms (although with varying quality). They're pricey, and delicate (don't throw them off in Dark Souls anger, trust me) but really good.

#3 Posted by Blomakrans (133 posts) -

Can someone explain to me what "surround sound headphones" do differently and what is gained by that?
It's always seemed like such a silly concept to me.

#4 Edited by Andorski (5106 posts) -

I don't know about the PS3 Pulse Headset, but the older version only had 7.1 virtual surround sound for PS3 games. It only had stereo playback when used on a PC. I found the surround sound playback to be pretty average and the stereo playback to be just plain bad.

If you want something that can be used on PC and PS4, you should probably wait until after the PS4 launches to see what headsets are compatible with it.

#5 Posted by Eujin (1293 posts) -
#6 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

@andorski said:

I don't know about the PS3 Pulse Headset, but the older version only had 7.1 virtual surround sound for PS3 games. It only had stereo playback when used on a PC. I found the surround sound playback to be pretty average and the stereo playback to be just plain bad.

If you want something that can be used on PC and PS4, you should probably wait until after the PS4 launches to see what headsets are compatible with it.

Probably the best advice.

@eujin said:

These are generic brands, but they support direct optical input, so you wouldn't even need a receiver and could go out from the PS4 or XBO (I'm not 100% sure on XBO having an optical out) into the Headphones.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10850&cs_id=1080910&p_id=9771&format=2

I've heard they're pretty decent, and are way less expensive than most other Surround headphones that have optical in.

I've never actually tried out real 7.1 headsets. I often hear the sound is somewhat tinny, and the directional feedback isn't worth the drop in overall sound quality. Do you use a 7.1 headset yourself? That's the main thing to figure out really, if I want to go with a stereo headset and virutal surround, or a real 7.1 headset.

#7 Posted by Andorski (5106 posts) -

I use the Logitech G930 wireless headset with 7.1 surround sound. I don't really notice the "surround sound" effect that Dolby's headphone technology tries to emulate. To me it just sounds like really good stereo headphones. Sounds are full and distinct.

If you want to go real 7.1 surround sound with headphones, expect to pay a lot of money. Sub $200 headphones that are advertised as being 7.1 are either just emulating the effect or are using bad drivers.

#8 Edited by Eujin (1293 posts) -

@seppli: I do not use any headphones. I have 5.1 set up in the game room itself. That said, I have used 7.1 headphones before.

They are not quite the same as $500 sennheisers or anything, but I never noticed any problems with the audio for the few hours I used them.

#9 Edited by MonetaryDread (1945 posts) -

Astro Mixamp Pro 2013

Never buy a surround headset. The Logitech, Turtle Beach, and Astro provide absolute shit headphones with their headsets. Every pair that I have tried are just cheap headphones with a sound card installed in them and then they have their price jacked up by $100. The Logitech headphones sound worse than a $50 set of Sony headphones, the Turtle Beach headphones sound muddier than a pair of Beats headphones, the Astro's charge $250 for headphones that sound not much better than an $80 pair of dedicated cans. Just buy a Mixamp and use your own headphones for the effect. The mixamp makes your ordinary stereo headphones sound like the surround pairs, only you can use them anywhere.

#10 Edited by dgtlty (147 posts) -

I have to agree with @monetarydread. Grab yourself an Astro Mixamp and spend the extra dollars on a decent set of stereo headphones.

#11 Posted by Sammo21 (3016 posts) -

For PC I like the Logitech G930, but for my PS3 the Sony Pulse headphones were good.

#12 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Astro Mixamp Pro 2013

Never buy a surround headset. The Logitech, Turtle Beach, and Astro provide absolute shit headphones with their headsets. Every pair that I have tried are just cheap headphones with a sound card installed in them and then they have their price jacked up by $100. The Logitech headphones sound worse than a $50 set of Sony headphones, the Turtle Beach headphones sound muddier than a pair of Beats headphones, the Astro's charge $250 for headphones that sound not much better than an $80 pair of dedicated cans. Just buy a Mixamp and use your own headphones for the effect. The mixamp makes your ordinary stereo headphones sound like the surround pairs, only you can use them anywhere.

Wasn't aware of that. Will definitely look into it.

#13 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Just pulled the trigger on another Sony solution, which fits my needs better, since it's platform agnostic. My TV has optical out, so I can grab the audio off my TV - so it'll work with both PS4 and Xbox One (which I intend to get eventually), as well as regular TV and such. Also, it's got 16-20 hours battery life, rather than just 4-6 hours like the Pulse ones. I guess if I need to chat, I'll just stick that earbud thingy that comes with the PS4 into the headphones.

I will report back on Friday, if the pairing of PS4 and these headphones is worth the 180$ asking price. They started out as 300$ headphones, and quite a few outlets still list them at this price, and they get great user reviews everywhere - I'm hoping this purchase is not going to be a let-down.

Edit: Just watched the first movie with these. Awesome awesome awesome. Chrystal clear sound. Can't wait to check them out with the PS4.