Headphones ?

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bluemantra

I am in the market for a pretty decent set of headphones for my PS3. The wife has been complaining about the noise while she's studying. Long story short my grandma told me I need to get headphones to play games with and she'll reimburse me. I feel like I'm a kid again. I'm looking to spend $100-$150. I've been doing a little research and I'm debating between a wireless set and a corded one.  I would like something with a mic for online gaming, but not a must. I want superior sound above all. I've read about 5.1 and what-not I'm not sure if I'm still clear on the benefit, I just want something that sounds excellent whether that be 5.1 or not. I would really appreciate some help. BTW if the price is a little higher that's cool..... 

Thanks, 
-Blue

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Whatever you do, make sure you get headphones that fit completely over your ears, and not rest on top of them. The latter type can get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Ravage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ravage

Don't get wireless ones, they for the most part, suck ass.

You can get some 5.1 headsets, that might be a good idea if it's for gaming, but that depends which games you're playing, i.e. multiplayer games (cod4) are best with 5.1 :-)

I personally use Bose noise canceling headphones, $350, but they are awesome, you only hear the game.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Green_Incarnate

What? Don't rip off your grandma. Pay for that shit yourself.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bluemantra

Thanks for the quick replies. $350 might be a little steep, but I like where you're going. I have been leading towards the corded headphones. I like playing FPS, RPG's, games like COD, Borderlands, Fallout, R&C, Uncharted etc...I'd say my online play consists a total of 30-40% of my gaming hours, but is likely to increase with the influx of these new holiday releases.

Ravage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravage

Just remember that if you use headphones to set your audio as stereo when you use them.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Absurd

Get a pair of Sennheiser headphones, They're awesome.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bluemantra

I'm going with these,  http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/on_ear_headphones/index.jsp#faqs, based on the recommendations above and some research, plus they offer a home trial period for 30 days.  Any objections to these??

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd
@bluemantra: I'd still say get a pair of sennheiser headphones.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By matthew
@bluemantra: Check out this site.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/ 

I would personally shoot for the 7505 or the 7506 to stay on budget.  I have a couple of these pairs and they continually do the job.  The cushion around the ear is soft and supportive, the headband isn't too tightly wound, so you're not going to get any pain around your ears from it pressing against you for prolonged amounts of time.  I have a pair of Bose earbuds, and while nice, I would rather shoot for the Sony's headset for gaming.
bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bluemantra

Thanks for that Matthew, I am actually very drawn to these as well. One question what is the difference between the 7505 and the 7506. They are both within budget, especially off amazon.  

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matthew
@bluemantra: It's just an issue of impedance.  There is some electrical mumbo jumbo that I'm not going to bore you with, but if you are to also use these for portable music (Zen, ipod, what have you) I would shoot for the 7506.  It's going to be able to use power a bit smarter than the 7505 would.  If you want to read up a bit on it for yourself...this is taken from the Practical Home Theatre Guide online:

Headphone Impedance & On-the-Ear Sensitivity:

Impedance: One issue that's especially important when choosing a pair of headphones is impedance. So called low impedance and high impedance pairs should not be intermixed.

Low impedance headsets may vary from 75 ohms up to about 150 ohms. Phones in this impedance range may be directly plugged into the headphone jack routinely found on recording and playback equipment.

Higher impedances sets normally have an impedance of around 600 ohms; these are more useful in studio installations where many units may be wired in parallel for studio monitoring applications.

The 600-ohm models are more rugged than low impedance ones in that the higher resistance coils are less susceptible to burn out than low impedance models. On the other hand,  high impedance sets require a higher driving signal to produce the same level of sound output in comparison to low impedance headsets.

This means that low impedance headphones will sound louder when plugged in devices with low output voltages such as portable CD players, etc. In reality, because of the limited power available from portable players, headsets for portable use should have a maximum impedance of 64 ohms.

Worth keeping in mind here that the lower the impedance, the more efficient headphones are in converting the incoming electrical energy into sound. On the contrary, the higher the impedance, the more electrical energy is required to drive the headsets tiny speakers. 

link here -  http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/headphones.html  

Oh, and the 7506's are 2 ounces heaver than the 05's :)

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArcLyte

it's an industry saying: no highs, no lows, you got bose.

bose are NOT the best in audio, although their fantastic advertising and brand recognition will have you think otherwise. go with a pair of senheissers or sony pro's if you want the best sound out of a pair of headphones. and make sure they cover your ear.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bluemantra

Thanks again... I pulled the trigger on the 7506. I'll let ya know how they work out when I get them......

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By bjorno

should have got the HD555s

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matthew
@bluemantra: Glad we could help out.  I'm sure you'll like'em.
bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bluemantra
@bjorno said:
" should have got the HD555s "
I made sure I could return 'em if I'm not happy with the Sony 7506 headphones. There were a lot of options out there and I had to make a decision. I'm sure they'll be quality. If not I'll look into the HD-555. Appreciate it though. 
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red
@LeetBalla said:
" http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255928175&sr=8-3-spell  

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-HD-595-Premier-Headphone/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=pd_cp_e_2 

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/4/A40-Headset/ (There is also an option that comes with an amp for $50 more)  All of these are great headphones.  "
Yeah, I use Sennheiser phones with my TV. Cords are long, quality is good and they're hella comfortable.
aylien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By aylien

Sorry to thread-jack, but my question seems related (though please let me know if I should start a new thread).

Is there a way that I can play online on a PS3 with headphones and talk? I'm not sure what the names for the various headsets are, but I've seen PC headsets which have cushions for each ear and a mouth piece.
Basically, I'd like for all the audio, from both the game and other online players, to be coming through the headphones and not from the TV.  Are there headphones/headsets that will allow you to do this on a PS3? 
Thanks in advance.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By matthew
@aylien: Check this thread

http://www.futureshopforums.ca/futureshop/board/message?board.id=playstation&message.id=334

Basically it looks like you're going to have to use a pc headset/mic combo.  As far as what to use there, I'm no help.  My suggestions on where you would start would be newegg...I've never really done voice when playing pc games.  What I do is start up Diablo 2 and Skype, then just click away with my buddy living in NY for grad school while we talk about nothing in particular.  But thats just my Rock Band mic plugged into the usb, then my regular speaker setup. 
DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DirrtyNinja
What happens when your using headphones yet you want to use your headset for online stuff?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By penguindust
@Absurd said:
" Get a pair of Sennheiser headphones, They're awesome. "
Truth.  I have a pair and they are great. Comfortable with great sound, low and high.   Also, they don't make your ears sweat which could be a bother for long periods of gaming.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Branthog

You're going about this all wrong. Buy your wife a pair of ear plugs.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Slippy
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By turbomonkey138

Don;t get Skull candy . I have had about 3 pairs of skull candy TIs and they brake so easily .

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead

I got some Bose noise canceling ones for about $130 at Best Buy and they're great.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bluemantra

Yeah, I have been weary of skull candy, I haven't really heard good things about their products. I've been thinking about getting a pair of headphones, so this is really just a good excuse for me to blow some money on a decent set. Gotta make 'em think it's their idea...How do people usually handle online gaming with headphones without a mic attached?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Gmanall

The headphones that I use and think are good is the UR-20 cheap and good sounding.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nettacki

How about instead of Bose or Sennheiser, you get some headphones from Grado?

The ones I use is the iGrado behind-the-neck headphones, costs $50. Though you can get some better ones like the SR-60 or SR-80 for $70 and $100, respectfully.@HandsomeDead said:

" I got some Bose noise canceling ones for about $130 at Best Buy and they're great. "
I got the $50 iGrados as I've just mentioned and they're also great, probably as good as yours for less.
RichardSplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RichardSplash

Sennheiser HD650s. Outstanding quality and no hyping in the frequencies. I use them at work nearly everyday and can easily wear them for hours at a time.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bluemantra

Ok so I received my Sony 7506's today in the mail. I got 'em off amazon for around $90. First impressions; They sound great, the definitely have plenty of volume. I've played about 2 hours of borderlands with them and I've noticed subtle nuances like the wind blowing, foot steps from the enemy, and other various sounds that were either previously non-audible on my regular speakers or that were enhanced by the headphones. The bass is pretty strong, when firing a shotgun or a rocket from a vehicle you definitely "feel" it which is pretty awesome, they should be pretty sweet when MW2 is out. I probably will tone the bass down a bit and crank the highs up on the T.V. EQ.....for the 2 hours I wore them they didn't bother me at all comfort wise, I could've worn them for another 2 hours without it being a problem. This is my first pair of headphones so I don't have too much to compare them to, but they certainly met my expectations and I can see myself wearing and enjoying them even when I don't have to. Well worth the $$$ IMO...