Headphones Recommendation

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Right now I use the standard white headphones that comes with the IPod. Looking for some recommendations to use when I play my 3DS/phone. Hopefully <$75 I prefer headphones that cover your ears vs the buds that go in them. Thanks

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Check out some of the Wirecutter articles. They do a lot of testing even on low-end gear, which you won't usually find on audio review sites. At the very least you can get a better idea of what's out there and what you can safely ignore.

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/

If you don't like anything that goes in your ear, then this is probably the most relevant guide: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-on-ear-headphones-at-any-price/

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@cameron:

The only issue with the Wirecutter is I'm finding in the comments of the articles many people have issues with the product that is picked. And many times the products have mediocre reviews on Amazon.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

for $85 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR10R-Hi-Res-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00F0UFUHI is pretty incredible value.

capncoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jamin724 said:

Right now I use the standard white headphones that comes with the IPod. Looking for some recommendations to use when I play my 3DS/phone. Hopefully <$75 I prefer headphones that cover your ears vs the buds that go in them. Thanks

I've heard great things about these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SuperVHS

I'm using these at the moment. They're pretty good, but I'd recommend going to a headphone store and just trying out different pairs. Reviews get too caught up in technical aspects that don't really have any meaning for most people. Besides, it feels better just to buy something because you know you personally like that thing.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I somewhat hate myself for it, but my bose quiet comfort headphones are probably the most comfortable ones I own.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capncoad said:
@jamin724 said:

Nobody has heard anything great about Creative in 15 years. Single post account to recommend a brand of product, yep not at all and ad.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: I agree but all I got near me is Walmart, target and best buy. No real electronic store but they don't exist nowadays

capncoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:
@capncoad said:
@jamin724 said:

Nobody has heard anything great about Creative in 15 years. Single post account to recommend a brand of product, yep not at all and ad.

Yes I paid $35 to giantbomb for a gold subscription but i'm actually an ad for $50 headphones. Rather than being an aggressive goober towards new posters, maybe you should research the headphone I recommended and realize it's well respected in that price range, or just recommend something yourself and be done with it.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No one has posted the Sony MDR7506. Isn't that a requisite when people ask about headphones? I have a pair that I love.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deerokus

I was about to recommend the AKG Y50, they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned and sound bloody amazing for the price I paid for them (£50 which is $70) but they're quite a lot more expensive in the US than in the UK for some reason. Unlike the US, prices here always include 20% tax and even then it's $20 dearer for you guys at Amazon.com, weird.

Wirecutter is a weird site. The idea of the site is awesome, good research and methodology covering stuff no one else reviews, but they ALWAYS seem to pick the 'wrong' one for arbitrary reasons. It's worth looking at their non-recommended recommendations that are further down in my experience and cross-referencing those with other sites.

Thos Sonys above look extremely unportable which may be a problem for use with a phone.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony MDR-V6. All year, every year, from now until the end of time. Probably incredibly unhelpful if you want something more portable, but I've had my pair for almost 8 years now.

For day-to-day portability, I would never choose over-the-ear headphones, so I guess I'm pretty worthless for the purposes of this thread :x

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mellotronrules

Sony MDR-V6. All year, every year, from now until the end of time. Probably incredibly unhelpful if you want something more portable, but I've had my pair for almost 8 years now.

For day-to-day portability, I would never choose over-the-ear headphones, so I guess I'm pretty worthless for the purposes of this thread :x

i agree with all of this. those sonys are proven dynamite. get those for home use and you won't regret it.

if you're looking for portable, i usually spend approx. 30-40 on high quality but affordable buds and pair with comply foam tips because-

a) you get better attenuation, which means lower volumes, which means healthier ears

b) you're not spending oodles on headphones that WILL inevitably break (especially if you use them at the gym)

c) buds pack small and fit under hats.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By TanookiSuit

@capncoad said:
@korwin said:
@capncoad said:
@jamin724 said:

Yes I paid $35 to giantbomb for a gold subscription but i'm actually an ad for $50 headphones. Rather than being an aggressive goober towards new posters, maybe you should research the headphone I recommended and realize it's well respected in that price range, or just recommend something yourself and be done with it.

I came here looking for rad headphone recommendations. I have not found anything, but did not leave disappointed.

I use a pair of Turtle Beach headphones w/DSS at home for the consoles. A bit cumbersome to travel with. After going through a bunch of crappy earbuds, I found some that work well enough for podcasts/music at work, the cord doesn't get all tangled, has an in-line mic and at the very least a play/pause button but no volume control, plus they were relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYVYHLW/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B00J2TGYZU

I've had them for almost 2 years without an issue and the cord still looks great with daily use. They might not be crazy high-end "I can hear Beethoven squeeze out a fart during symphony 5" level quality, but if you just need to put sound in your earholes, they work and hold up to abuse.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The PS4 gold headset is pretty decent, has 7.1 VSS, an integrated mic, comfy as hell, and you can use it wired as well. Only $100 and you can probably find it cheaper.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By edgaras1103

Kingston HyperX Cloud is pretty alright.

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Koss SP330 is a bit above your preferred price range (You can find it for around $100.00), but in my opinion they're still worth considering.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whathifi.com is a great source

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ELAM8LE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1453146349&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=rha+headphones&dpPl=1&dpID=41tzhj85ZXL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

They are expensive but I have been using these everyday for a year and they are absolutely fantastic.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are listening music on the go, over-ear headphones can be little bit too cumbersome. At home, I use full-size Sennheisers but if I'm traveling or taking a walk, I take Koss Porta Pro's because they fit inside pocket and are not as sweaty or isolating. Downside is that bass can be little bit overbearing at the cost of clarity in highs. Also cable is kinda short.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: SO TRUE. I use $20-40 Sony earbuds (MDREX58V is my current fav) for exactly these reasons. The biggest thing for me is that for whatever reason, Sony buds fit comfortably in my ears. Audio quality means absolutely jack sh*t if you can't stand to have the buds in your ears for more than 30 minutes. I work in a lab, so having earbuds is perfect on several levels: first, I can loop the cords around my ear so that I can pull them out and rest them behind my ear if I need to talk to someone. Second, the model I listed has a volume slider on the cord, so I can turn the volume up or down without having to go to my phone or laptop or whatever else - this greatly increases the dynamic range of my phone's relatively narrow volume settings, which is really big for me given how great the volume difference between music tracks and podcasts can get. Finally, because I'm wearing these things on commutes, during work, and while running errands, they need to be relatively inexpensive in case of incidents. I used to get a more expensive Klipsch pair, but they always wore down within 8 months. My Sony earbuds tend to last at least as long while being as low as one-third the price and, if anything, a bit more comfortable. Life is good now that I have found these phones, man. Life is good.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peregrin38: yes, absolutely. i feel like everyone needs to find their 'brand' that is the best compromise for them. i'll give your sonys a shot next time mine break! my go-to for years has been these-

sennheiser cx II

but fortunately there's lots of good options out there!

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one has posted the Sony MDR7506. Isn't that a requisite when people ask about headphones? I have a pair that I love.

Yep. Beat me to it. Sennheiser HD280 Pro are good too but they are usually $100 unless you find them on sale.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panasonic RP-HTX7. In my opinion these are the best sound closed-back headphones for under $100.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shure 440's with the 840 pads. Solid build, and sound.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@blackout62 said:

Yep. Beat me to it. Sennheiser HD280 Pro are good too but they are usually $100 unless you find them on sale.

Also agreed. $75 price range is MDR7506, unless there's a good sale on for something better. HD280 and the SRH440s are good for closed back in the $100 price range. Open back you start looking at ATH-AD700X. If you want to go the opposite direction of $50-$65, the AKG K240 is good for semi-open. And then for on-ear in this range I'd say SR80e.

ReddenBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReddenBlack

I got a pair of MDR7506's for christmas and I love them. The cable can be a little annoying, but they sound phenomenal.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I always buy these, they've given me the best quality of sound and last a really long time, like 2-3 years which is way longer than any headphones I've own. They're also really comfortable and are deep enough that they don't make your ears hurt during extensive wearing periods. I can no longer find them in stores, but will always seek them out online.

JVC HAS660B On-Ear Headphones

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best bang for your buck are Koss KSC75. $15 nets you a pair of clip-ons that sound as good as something 10-20 times the price. The build quality is kind of crap. Mine broke. But damn they sounded good for a year or so. If I didn't already have a headphone problem, (I've got some Sennheiser HD590s and HD205s for mixing and recording, Bose Soundtrue Ultra and Philips SHE9850 earbuds for listening and some Sony Bluetooth earbuds for exercise...) I'd buy another pair.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I prefer earbuds myself but I'll chime in anyway. I bought these in Japan for like $50. Very good sound quality. The price seems to be jacked up on that specific model but similar ones are around that price, I assume they'd be just as good.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By mrcraggle

I'd recommend going into a music store and asking and seeing if you can try them out. And when I say music store, I don't mean like a place where you can buy CDs or whatever, I mean one that sells audio equipment. They'll likely have a good selection of headphones in addition to speakers, amps, etc. Or maybe just tweet to Patrick Norton from Tekthing/Tested.

I will give a recommendation though and that's because what I'm recommending are super cheap. The Sony MDR-V150. These headphones sell for around $20, you may be able to find them for even less. They're not going to blow you away in terms of build quality or sound quality but they're fucking amazing for their price. The Sennheiser HD 201's are also a great bargain.

Avatar image for elsenorjalapeno
ElSenorJalapeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi said:

If you are listening music on the go, over-ear headphones can be little bit too cumbersome. At home, I use full-size Sennheisers but if I'm traveling or taking a walk, I take Koss Porta Pro's because they fit inside pocket and are not as sweaty or isolating. Downside is that bass can be little bit overbearing at the cost of clarity in highs. Also cable is kinda short.

I second the Porta Pros. Insane value for your money.

If you search around you'll find that everyone raves about the quality, and they are super light and comfortable. They are perfect for on-the-go-pick-up-and-play.

Oh, and you can almost buy two of them with your budget.

The downside is the design, if you are not into the retro look.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

For portable devices I buy in bulk, not in quality. I have 2 pairs of small cheap earbuds, and a fair quality Bluetooth headset from my smartphone

Bluetooth instead of using a damn wire is great, but since you want to use it with 3DS you can't use anything that flexible. Honestly I would get a pair of Bluetooth headphones for your smartphone. The best thing about my Photive BTH3 Bluetooth 4.0 headset (aside from teh low price), is the range of signal acuity. I can walk one floor down at my work and still listen is my music/book/podcast -without any hiss/pop/weirdness even when my smartphone is sitting on my desk upstairs. When I go two floors down the signal might cut for 1/10 of a second, but its do-able...the range is in other words fantastic.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recomend either the open ear phillips shp-9500 or the closed ear sony mdr 7506. The phillips are especially great because they have a detachable cable and are some of the most comfortable headphones Ive worn next to the 300$ senhiesers my friend has.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers