Heavy Rain | About as fun as drowning in it

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Edited By Kibblez

Epic design director and industry cool guy Cliff Bleszinski recently commented on Quantic Dream’s ‘interactive drama’ Heavy Rain, the much-debated PS3 exclusive that released this February. The Unreal Tournament and Gears of War aficionado stated that he’s very much a fan of Heavy Rain, which in his mind has ‘birthed its own genre.’

From my own perspective, I absolutely see where he’s coming from with this statement. Despite most of Heavy Rain’s premise revolving around sombre storytelling and continuous quick time events, it’s certainly unlike a lot of other games on the market these days. Like any novel or film, it’s an experience that is wholly dependent on the player’s involvement within the narrative; and the unprecedented graphical detail of its world and characters is, for the most part, an entirely unique staple to uphold in modern games.

This ‘new’ genre Mr. Bleszinski is referring to is the same one that I used as a descriptor for the game in the first paragraph – ‘interactive drama.’ It’s become a widespread and accepted term for describing Heavy Rain, something which the developers clearly wanted to make viral. So much so that the very first trophy to be unlocked after starting a new game commends the player for ‘supporting interactive drama’ once they’ve completed the opening prologue.

Even though it may seem like I’m facing opposites with this notion, I’m really not. I support the idea and it makes sense to me since actually playing Heavy Rain for myself about a month ago. However, for me, the rub comes compounded with this entire theory of ‘interactive drama’ and just how monotonous I found Heavy Rain to be. Where I tend to agree with Bleskinski’s comments, however, lies in how aptly he chose describe his statement. It really is the ‘birth’ of a genre; and to that tend, if Heavy Rain is the first real attempt at an ‘interactive drama’ on consoles, then it is surely baby steps.

That’s not to say that story-specific adventures were non-existent before Quantic Dream head David Cage arrived on the scene, but there are arguably few comparative titles of the same ilk that have been subject to such development expenditure, intensive marketing and sheer anticipation ahead of its release.

To draw some sort of parallel, consider a series like Monkey Island, or many other similar traditional adventure games that enjoyed a period of popularity and renown back in their day. In regards to the common persona of many others adventure games, the Monkey Island games were (and are) often stylised in an animated and distinctly cartoon-like fashion; cleverly playing on the weaknesses of its era’s technological deficits, as well as successfully complimenting the comical tone of its narrative.

Heavy Rain is blatant antithesis to Monkey Island’s design approach, instead striving towards photo-realism and well-rendered environment detail. Its heavy-handed narrative lives and dies by this conceptual intention, as did the contextual puzzles in Monkey Island.

But, whilst these ambitions are lofty and now more achievable than ever, it was a resentful combination of both its most coveted bullet points that essentially failed to grip me in the way Cage so evidently wanted me to. I’m not lambasting the quality of its graphics, though – far form it. Heavy Rain is a truly beautiful game that really pushes the technical boundaries of the PlayStation 3.

My real point of contention in the graphical department comes in the presence of the expected – and equally disjointing – ‘uncanny valley’. It’s a term that plagues many modern games that try to simulate real-world detail, and in Heavy Rain it rears its head to causes noticeable eyebrow-raising moments from the game’s characters above all else.

As a result,I found the forceful emotional scenes falling from reach time and time again, as my personal investment in Heavy Rain’s inhabitants continued to plummet with every blank expression and instance of mis-matched lip syncing. To be fair, it is important to note that issues like poor lip syncing is a ubiquitous trend in many games, but its insufficiencies seem doubly as reproachable in Heavy Rain, as its sole purpose is to hook the player in with expressive character emotes and realistic dialogue interactions.

Since I’m on that topic, it’s worth clarifying my opinions of the voice acting: it’s bloody awful. Listening to the French accent slip through the cracks of supposedly American characters in the game is just as flinch-worthy as hearing the rest of the B-list voice actors ham their way through the story’s events. Detective Scott Shelby was probably the only character in the entire Heavy Rain universe that I actually gravitating towards in some meaningful way, but even he is a re-tread of an existing character from a barely decent thriller flick.

Optional Side Ramble: Perhaps unsurprisingly, I also wasn’t a big fan of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I loved the demo – the introductory scenario felt like a breath of fresh air and was genuinely involving. Be that as it may, further progession into the game failed to sustain my intrigue, as the story went to an incorrigible place; and the problems with player input became far beyond that of Heavy Rain’s. Plus, I found the characters to be crude and unlikeable. Playing guitar was mildly fun, though.

Despite my general dislike for Heavy Rain’s attempts at emulating cinematic flourish and twisting it into game form, complaints surrounding the tank-style control of characters didn’t actually bother me that much. Sure, it looks robotic and weird, but at that point I understand that I’m actually playing a game, so I expect some degree of mechnical flaw. By contrast, I just don’t have the same expectations for the cutscenes when the experience I’m playing is touted as ‘like a movie in videogame form.’ To that, I say this: it’s not like a movie in videogame form. If anything, it’s akin to any third rate novel available in the used section of a local library.

If the visions of creator David Cage consists of blurring the lines between narrative interactivity in games and conventional movie viewing, then it’s only fair to judge his game alongside that same medium which primarily focuses on storytelling as its main draw. In that regard, Heavy Rain falls flat on its face. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate its existence, however. The hitches with the uncanny valley will undoubtedly become less of an issue as time and technology advances; and it would be folly to suggest that Heavy Rain doesn’t raise the bar in graphical prowess. That said, I just don’t believe Quantic Dream is the studio that is capable of undertakng the task and coming out with outstanding results – specifically in the field of storyteling.

My pick? Rockstar.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Kibblez

Epic design director and industry cool guy Cliff Bleszinski recently commented on Quantic Dream’s ‘interactive drama’ Heavy Rain, the much-debated PS3 exclusive that released this February. The Unreal Tournament and Gears of War aficionado stated that he’s very much a fan of Heavy Rain, which in his mind has ‘birthed its own genre.’

From my own perspective, I absolutely see where he’s coming from with this statement. Despite most of Heavy Rain’s premise revolving around sombre storytelling and continuous quick time events, it’s certainly unlike a lot of other games on the market these days. Like any novel or film, it’s an experience that is wholly dependent on the player’s involvement within the narrative; and the unprecedented graphical detail of its world and characters is, for the most part, an entirely unique staple to uphold in modern games.

This ‘new’ genre Mr. Bleszinski is referring to is the same one that I used as a descriptor for the game in the first paragraph – ‘interactive drama.’ It’s become a widespread and accepted term for describing Heavy Rain, something which the developers clearly wanted to make viral. So much so that the very first trophy to be unlocked after starting a new game commends the player for ‘supporting interactive drama’ once they’ve completed the opening prologue.

Even though it may seem like I’m facing opposites with this notion, I’m really not. I support the idea and it makes sense to me since actually playing Heavy Rain for myself about a month ago. However, for me, the rub comes compounded with this entire theory of ‘interactive drama’ and just how monotonous I found Heavy Rain to be. Where I tend to agree with Bleskinski’s comments, however, lies in how aptly he chose describe his statement. It really is the ‘birth’ of a genre; and to that tend, if Heavy Rain is the first real attempt at an ‘interactive drama’ on consoles, then it is surely baby steps.

That’s not to say that story-specific adventures were non-existent before Quantic Dream head David Cage arrived on the scene, but there are arguably few comparative titles of the same ilk that have been subject to such development expenditure, intensive marketing and sheer anticipation ahead of its release.

To draw some sort of parallel, consider a series like Monkey Island, or many other similar traditional adventure games that enjoyed a period of popularity and renown back in their day. In regards to the common persona of many others adventure games, the Monkey Island games were (and are) often stylised in an animated and distinctly cartoon-like fashion; cleverly playing on the weaknesses of its era’s technological deficits, as well as successfully complimenting the comical tone of its narrative.

Heavy Rain is blatant antithesis to Monkey Island’s design approach, instead striving towards photo-realism and well-rendered environment detail. Its heavy-handed narrative lives and dies by this conceptual intention, as did the contextual puzzles in Monkey Island.

But, whilst these ambitions are lofty and now more achievable than ever, it was a resentful combination of both its most coveted bullet points that essentially failed to grip me in the way Cage so evidently wanted me to. I’m not lambasting the quality of its graphics, though – far form it. Heavy Rain is a truly beautiful game that really pushes the technical boundaries of the PlayStation 3.

My real point of contention in the graphical department comes in the presence of the expected – and equally disjointing – ‘uncanny valley’. It’s a term that plagues many modern games that try to simulate real-world detail, and in Heavy Rain it rears its head to causes noticeable eyebrow-raising moments from the game’s characters above all else.

As a result,I found the forceful emotional scenes falling from reach time and time again, as my personal investment in Heavy Rain’s inhabitants continued to plummet with every blank expression and instance of mis-matched lip syncing. To be fair, it is important to note that issues like poor lip syncing is a ubiquitous trend in many games, but its insufficiencies seem doubly as reproachable in Heavy Rain, as its sole purpose is to hook the player in with expressive character emotes and realistic dialogue interactions.

Since I’m on that topic, it’s worth clarifying my opinions of the voice acting: it’s bloody awful. Listening to the French accent slip through the cracks of supposedly American characters in the game is just as flinch-worthy as hearing the rest of the B-list voice actors ham their way through the story’s events. Detective Scott Shelby was probably the only character in the entire Heavy Rain universe that I actually gravitating towards in some meaningful way, but even he is a re-tread of an existing character from a barely decent thriller flick.

Optional Side Ramble: Perhaps unsurprisingly, I also wasn’t a big fan of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I loved the demo – the introductory scenario felt like a breath of fresh air and was genuinely involving. Be that as it may, further progession into the game failed to sustain my intrigue, as the story went to an incorrigible place; and the problems with player input became far beyond that of Heavy Rain’s. Plus, I found the characters to be crude and unlikeable. Playing guitar was mildly fun, though.

Despite my general dislike for Heavy Rain’s attempts at emulating cinematic flourish and twisting it into game form, complaints surrounding the tank-style control of characters didn’t actually bother me that much. Sure, it looks robotic and weird, but at that point I understand that I’m actually playing a game, so I expect some degree of mechnical flaw. By contrast, I just don’t have the same expectations for the cutscenes when the experience I’m playing is touted as ‘like a movie in videogame form.’ To that, I say this: it’s not like a movie in videogame form. If anything, it’s akin to any third rate novel available in the used section of a local library.

If the visions of creator David Cage consists of blurring the lines between narrative interactivity in games and conventional movie viewing, then it’s only fair to judge his game alongside that same medium which primarily focuses on storytelling as its main draw. In that regard, Heavy Rain falls flat on its face. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate its existence, however. The hitches with the uncanny valley will undoubtedly become less of an issue as time and technology advances; and it would be folly to suggest that Heavy Rain doesn’t raise the bar in graphical prowess. That said, I just don’t believe Quantic Dream is the studio that is capable of undertakng the task and coming out with outstanding results – specifically in the field of storyteling.

My pick? Rockstar.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Quantic Dream. Not Quantum. 

And boo-hooo-hooo not everybody likes the same stuff.
I was a massive fan of Fahrenheit, and i'm eagerly awaiting the chance to play Heavy Rain.  I'm also awaiting their sequel to Nomad Soul (Omikron) that game was way ahead of it's time and criminally under appreciated on the Dreamcast.

I also really wish people would stop linking to their shitty wordpress stuff, isn't there a rule against advertising?  If you really want to blog on the site, just blog on the site, sheesh.  

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Indigo Prophecy  could have been a great game if it didn't force those horrible QTEs on you. Also- The Matrix fighting was bloody stupid- the game jumped the shark for me at that point.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kibblez

Oh yeah, I thought that sounded wrong. Journalism fail.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Kibblez:  Tbh I hate the term 'interactive drama'. The reason for this is that it seems to suggest that games that invest a lot into their stories become something not games, a subset of films or whatever. They tried that with FMV games and those failed miserably. Any game that tries to be a film and not a game is a bad game. I don't think Quantic Dream falls into this trap, although plenty of people might disagree with that.
To focus on the story in Heavy Rain is ignoring the fact that mechanically it's quite innovative as well. I find that they refined the "rhythm-inspired" gameplay from Fahrenheit considerably. Due to its control scheme and the story focus certain actions later on (avoiding spoilers) felt that much more affecting and meaningful. I would say that it's a game that borrows from film because of its heavy focus on mood, character, and theme and that is a good thing - it also tackles difficult emotional and ethical territory that few games have tried. It does not mean that it should be reviewed by Roger Ebert just because it borrows from that medium (urgh). Comparing Heavy Rain to film is invalid; it's comparing apples to oranges. Game narratives are fundamentally different because of the addition of interactivity and player immersion.

Considering the game's sales and reviews and my own time with the game, I would consider it outstanding even if it has obvious flaws.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Cube

Heavy Rain is my GOTY so far, so I don't give a shit what you think! Yeah!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60

Heavy Rain is awesome.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

Heavy Rain was so overrated to me. Calling it a game is hardly accurate. I still enjoyed it more than Indigo Prophecy though. 

I just was bored by the ending, even though I got a pretty good one. Who the killer actually is is kind of stupid. I was expecting a bigger twist with a more interesting ending. 

And then there were so many bugs and gltiches, and the controls were terrible. And don't even get me started on the voice acting. For a game that thrives on it's acting, why the hell are the voices so bad? Madison, Ethan and Scott were the only ones I could handle. Lauren, Norman, all the kids, all the side actors... just terrible.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@xyzygy:  The voice-actors were all European except Scott Shelby I believe, Quantic Dream is a French company. It's a common complaint against the game, but I've heard much worse voice-acting in my time.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @xyzygy:  The voice-actors were all European except Scott Shelby I believe, Quantic Dream is a French company. It's a common complaint against the game, but I've heard much worse voice-acting in my time. "
Yeah, I figure. I could definitely tell. You'd think they would hire some English ones, I thought this game had a pretty big budget considering Sony published it? 

I could definitely tell Lauren was European. Man she's bad. And she's not even an interesting character whatsoever. Just an annoyance.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kibblez
@owl_of_minerva: There's definitely worse out there, but it's so antithetical to the plot they're going for, considering how its set in urban North America. QD being a French company is a bad excuse if you ask me. 

Plus, I think it's unjustified to NOT compare Heavy Rain to film. Like it or not, it is DESPERATELY trying to emulate a typical thriller flick but by twisting cinematic flourishes into game form.  Like I mentioned in the post, narrative is clearly the game's main focus..and in that department alone, it's pretty poor in my opinion. To me, no 'innovations' with QTEs or control design formed 15 years ago (in adventure games) can ammend that loss

I think i
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
@Kibblez said:
"  I think i "
I think i, too.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kibblez
@xyzygy said:
" @Kibblez said:
"  I think i "
I think i, too. "
I like to think we all do! (damn you dodgy quick reply box)
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Kibblez:  That's a valid point of view, but if you should probably criticise the game's story in comparison to other games. Comparing games to films is like comparing films to novels: there is only one clear winner but only if you ignore the fact that they all have different yardsticks. If you separate the narrative from the gameplay then that isn't accurate to the game experience, which is why I think film comparison is not the most productive one.  
I don't want to go into spoilers, but the intensity of the trials you undergo is the fact that you yourself are doing/experiencing it, and not just watching. You have to ask yourself "what would I do if I were this character in this situation?"  I enjoyed that because it's very rare in a game to be asked to empathise with anyone or to think about the actions you perform. I certainly can understand where the complaints with the game's story comes from: it has narrative inconsistencies and plot holes in comparison to better-scripted films and novels. But to me that didn't matter because I was experiencing something unlike I had experienced with any game before HR.
It's not about the gameplay making up for the story, more about how they intersect in some surprising and disturbing ways.

@xyzygy: I think it was probably that it was too much of a headache to fly a scout to the US and then fly actors back and forth. They probably felt the benefits would not outweigh the effort involved. Budget could have been a concern too; they're a small company that has only released 3 games in 13 years. Help from Sony probably mostly went into the graphics engine.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bhhawks78
@Cube said:
" Heavy Rain is my GOTY so far, so I don't give a shit what you think! Yeah! "
I feel bad for you, must have played mostly crap you poor thing.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kibblez

I can see how it could be enjoyable in that regard, but the story failed to hem me in so when it came to that stuff I kinda didn't care. my investment in pretty much all the characters was extremely slim..

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Cube
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Cube said:
I feel bad for you, must have played mostly crap you poor thing. "
No reason to feel bad for someone who doesn't care about you or your opinion.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

Did you really expect it to be a fun experience considering what you knew about it before purchase?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
@Kibblez said:
" I can see how it could be enjoyable in that regard, but the story failed to hem me in so when it came to that stuff I kinda didn't care. my investment in pretty much all the characters was extremely slim.. "
The only character I really care about was Scott Shelby. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Your opinion on something subjective is different then mine. I hate that.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Trilogy

I have nothing to add to this conversation other than there is some seriously heavy rain falling where I am.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haggis
@MysteriousBob: Indigo Prophesy could have been a good game if it hadn't gotten bat-shit crazy and stupid halfway through. I was very much liking the game until the story went off the rails.

Heavy Rain was ... an interesting experiment. But not--in my opinion--a good game. I found the story to be a bit bland, and the gameplay tedious. I know some people liked it. That's fine. I just never felt involved with what was going on in the game. I'm still waiting for an old-school adventure game reboot that actually works on modern consoles. So far, it's just not happening. I can appreciate what Heavy Rain was trying to do, while simultaneously feeling that, for me, it failed.

@owl_of_minerva: "I enjoyed that because it's very rare in a game to be asked to empathise with anyone or to think about the actions you perform."  I don't know, it seems like we're asked to do that in every game, lately. At least, any game that offers you moral choices. And empathy was central in most adventure games up through the 90s when the genre finally hit a brick wall. So I wasn't too impressed with the options Heavy Rain gave me. The lack of coherent plot (not unexpected, given that this is from Quantic, which seems to have a problem with coherent plots) only made the characters less realistic to me. Heavy Rain felt like a decided stap backward compared to other gaming experiences similar to it that I've had in the past.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@haggis:  I haven't encountered many games lately where those mechanics didn't feel "gamey", just another bar akin to a health meter. Games like Mass Effect or Bioshock are transparently bad on the moral level, where the choices you make are more like mandatory participation: you're never asked to consider your decision except on a purely mercenary level in my experience. I can't compare it to those early adventure games because I didn't play them. I can see why you would have that position though, even if it's not something I can compare HR to myself. Although weren't the mechanics in those old adventure games kind of arbitrary? I've heard them denounced as terrible and more just there instead of being an equal partner to the story, but this may very well be wrong. Let me know if it is.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haggis
@owl_of_minerva: This is all a complex discussion, but let's just say that in short I'm unconvinced that any of the so-called "morality systems" or "choice systems" we have in games are really what they claim to be. For me, Heavy Rain's gameplay was so incredibly "gamey" that it was constantly pulling me out of the game experience. I didn't care about the characters, and because the plot was so convoluted, motivations were pointless. On the other hand, in games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, the moral decisions were far more visceral. Dragon Age is probably a better example.

I'm not sure I see your point about "mandatory participation." I mean, we're playing the game, after all, so once we choose to play the game, yes, our participation is mandatory. That was the entire point of Bioshock's (overrated, I think) "would you kindly" plot twist. In the end, though, no matter what the system is, we're still going down paths the developers want us to tread. The very limited freedom we're given only makes more clear how limited our freedom of action is. Heavy Rain's mechanics made this far more clear to me than Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age. As for "considering" our decisions, if you come to a game like Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age without taking the "role playing" aspect seriously, then yes, you can play the game without considering your decisions. But both are role playing games, and as such depend on you, the gamer, to choose to take the decisions seriously. I found myself doing that quite often in both games, weighing the benefits and consequences and costs of each decision, but not in Heavy Rain.

As for older adventure games, they avoid the heightened awareness of limitations by not giving you any freedom at all. Or, at least, very little. They play much more like interactive novels and movies. It's a much more familiar mode of empathy: the kind we have when we read a book or watch a movie. We're used to putting ourselves in the position of those characters, even as we have no control over them. By putting us in a position of having control, I think current developers are actually making us more aware of the linear nature of the situations they're putting us in. The linearity of Heavy Rain is what made me most aware of this.

To put it simply, the problem only exists when we're given more freedom. With no freedom, we never ask the question about how real the freedom is. It's much like the uncanny valley in that respect: the attempt to give us more realistic choices is nice, but there is a point when it all becomes suddenly clear that it's all a sham. The options are to give us no freedom, give us a cartoonish version of choice that doesn't take us out of the reality loop, or to actually give us realistic freedom. For now, the later is impossible. So we're left with either no freedom of choice (older adventure games, for instance) or limited choice (ME2, Dragon Age, Heavy Rain). What sank Heavy Rain for me was a combination of things, but the very nature of the gameplay did not encourage identification. You had no sense of direct control of the character in key moments. Movement was mediated by distracting on-screen cues, rather than natural movement with the controller, pulling your attention to the fact that you had a controller in your hands that you needed to manipulate. It simply didn't work for me.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@haggis:  Excellent points, all taken onboard, and I can't fault your perspective. I guess what I meant by 'mandatory participation' is that reducing your morality system to the binaries of good/evil isn't interesting and is superficial roleplaying. D&D for instance has 9 alignments, whereas games generally only have 2-3 paths prioritising a good or evil response. It gives the illusion of meaningful choice. Yes, you can choose to care about the decisions presented to you in Mass Effect 2 (leaving Dragon Age out because it avoids those problems mostly) but I find it an insult to the player's intelligence because ethics cannot be boiled down in that way. Also it ties them directly to in-game rewards and a bar whose progress you can visibly track. If you're focused on how you're doing in relation to the mechanics of the game it lessens the capacity for critical distance that moral thinking requires.
What I prefer about Heavy Rain is that decision-making is more or less purely tied to the player's own empathic reaction. You aren't presented with straightforward choices and whatever you choose is as valid as any other because you cannot game over. This'll get too long so tl;dr making the players choices meaningful to the story without tying it to in-game rewards or outcomes is the best way to avoid defeating the purpose of a morality system in the first place.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Cube said:
I feel bad for you, must have played mostly crap you poor thing. "
Oh go climb a wall of dicks, you asshat.
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for me, Heavy Rain has become the video game equivalent of "The Room" in terms of storytelling and acting.  

as a game, Dragon's Lair did the qte based gameplay thing better nearly 30 years ago. 
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@odintal:  I'm going to guess that The Room is bad if it's guilty of association with Dragon's Lair. Not that I ever played the latter in arcades, but the NES game was awful :\
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owl_of_minerva: actually was comparing the dramatic elements of Heavy Rain to The Room and the gameplay aspects to the arcade Dragon's Lair. 

I actually really enjoy The Room and Heavy Rain for the same reasons.  
Both were envisioned by their creators to be great and brilliant works. 
Both were marred with bad writing and acting.  
Both make me laugh at the attempts to make me empathize with the characters.   
Both feature children with obvious mental disorders that no one mentions or even acknowledges.   

The only part I don't enjoy in the Heavy Rain experience is the gameplay. At times it feels like I'm not even needed. Especially after you playthrough the game again knowing who the killer is.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By haggis
@owl_of_minerva: "You aren't presented with straightforward choices and whatever you choose is as valid as any other because you cannot game over." To me, this approach diminishes the value of making those choices to the point that it didn't matter what I chose. But to each their own.

Limited paths are the result of limited technology and time. Heavy Rain isn't immune from it, either, and most of the moral choices still boiled down to binary options. I think different gamers will, based on gameplay elements, see this more clearly in some games than others. Which is why I'm getting a little tired of morality and choice systems in games. I'm ready for the next level, but I haven't seen it yet.