Hello Everyone

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By starfox444

I was wondering if people would enjoy reading a blog or review thread by me and post your comments, saying whatever you wish to, but keep in mind I'll only be doing PS3 games as my gaming rig is a PS3. If quite a few people enjoy it, I would be happy to review more games. So here we go, lets start off with something simple that I'm playing now (Oh and this is my first review):

Dead Space for PS3

Everyone has heard of Dead Space by now so let's skip what we already know and I'll get straight into it. The HUD is intuitive and simple to use and communicates information extremely easily, there are no hard to navigate menus or things of the like. I particularly liked R3 showing a glowing blue line to the objective because whenever I was at the end of my wit about to start endlessly swearing and ranting about how everything looked the same(horror game space ships never look inhabitable but, oh where would we be without you, suspension of disbelief?), the blue-line road showed me the way to the land of wherever it was I was meant to go.

Now onto the weapons, the weapons are interesting the first time you give them a whirl, especially the Ripper which is a floating saw blade which is good for cutting things like sandwiches and weird infected zombie things and whatever you may be considering to cut up. There's also one of my personal favourites; the force gun which is basically a shotgun which instead of leaving holes and impact marks it shot out invisble death. The weapons have a lot of variation in them which keeps me interested but generally the default weapon, the plasma cutter, will suit most of your needs on the lower difficulties. For me, playing on medium has left me waiting for some sort of challenge.

But there is a problem with this game attempting to be horror; theres too much stuff to keep you alive. I have never had too much ammo in a survival based game before but in Dead Space  I'm never convinced I'm going to die or escape on the skins of my teeth. You can also upgrade your weapons and suit thing with nodes, standard upgrades like damage and reload times, but they become abundant in later levels.

There's also these abilities which basically slow down time in a specific spot or the other ability which is pretty much a gravity gun which lets you pull around stuff. This really adds to the feeling that you will definetly survive whatever will be thrown at you but at times they are used quite interestingly and and entertainingly. One thing which had me baffled was having to jetison radioactive sphere things into space by pulling them close towards me and then shooting them off into space without suffering from cancer afterwards.

I've found a couple of interesting mechanics such as the zero-gravity sequences in which you can jump around and whatever you may like to do that would be enhanced with a lack of gravity, but there is also the air timer. The vaccumm of space has no air so you're often under a timer which adds a sense of tension and urgency which is really enjoyable, so my blood starts flowing and I begin to think "This is actually quite challenging!(remember medium difficulty)." But I am immediatly thrown back into the main bulk of the game which involves attempting to use up my well of ammo, I had quite a lot even at some of the earlier chapters.

A problem for me (now to let you understand what a problem for me is, I traded in Little Big Planet within a week of purchase because it made me rage too much) was sequences in which you manned a turret and shot at things coming towards the hull. I couldn't do them with skill so i just spammed and aimed from right to left until I won, these sequences just served as annoyance for me but my method of beating them isn't hard so I didn't feel unending rage.

"Now bring on the baddies!" I hear you say so; they are interesting and fun to dismember and essentialy have a specific attack pattern. You have to kill them by dismemberment. There are some Quicktime Events but I've never hated them and I quite enjoy the brutality in them which goes hand in hand with a game that has a horror atmosphere. That's pretty much it about them.

And time for the drum roll played by slave chil..consenting, paid worker: time to talk about the story!
Its an unoriginal concept executed well with high and low points that accompany the action and is generally not that bad except  for the fact that the character you play as whom I forget the name of...Isaac, generally never talks. During the introduction everyone apart from you is talking about whats going on with you sitting there not doing much and barely moving, I actually thought to myself "Why isn't he saying anything?" watching the intro sequence.

Final Verdict: Worthy of a rent or pick it up on sale (60 dollars is cheap in Australia) because the game is relatively short but at the same time is fun to play.  There are actually quite a few scary moments before you start piling on the money and upgrading the hell out of your suit.

Add me on PSN: Starfox444 (who would've guessed?)