skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By skilled_gamer

http://spinningthedisc.tumblr.com/

Hey guys, my names Zach. I'm going to college right now and one day would like to run a website, I need some experience so I'm running this blog with my roommates. I promise at least 2 articles and 1 video a week. I'm doing mostly games, thoughts of the industry and reviews. Please check us out sometime. Subscribe on youtube and follow on tumblr. We'll try our best every week to deserve your views. Thanks you guys!

http://spinningthedisc.tumblr.com/

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty
No Caption Provided
skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By skilled_gamer

Why I play games

You’d be a fool to not ponder the purpose for life; question why you are living right now. The philosophers have given us explanations, offered criticism claiming we know nothing and we don’t exist. Scientist have given us induction and have created marvels of this world. Why do we marvel at them? What is it that pushes us each day. No I am not claiming that games is a reason to live, but there is something there. The promise of happiness or the experience of happiness leads to the enjoyment of life. There very well could be a grand purpose, but regardless of that purpose one wishes to be happy.

Happiness is an abstract concept, is it a feeling? An accomplishment? A state in life? It’s an idea, which can only come from an experience. Happiness is an experience shared with others.

I have never seen a platform that joins people as closely as video games. The sense of comradery that is created by playing a multiplayer game is simply indescribable to those who haven’t experienced it. Having a friend you can trust in a moba or RTS is a bond, the experiences that you share together could be talked about forever. Video games has brought me happiness, I have a group of friends that live in different parts of the world and we all are united through one medium. This is why I play games, it is simply logical proof of my happiness.

- Zach Morrissey

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mitch0712

I hope you don't try to tote your username around with you, but best of luck otherwise.

skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skilled_gamer

Haha yah, I made it in 7th grade when I first got my ps3. I made this account in 2008 when it launched while I still had the name, a lot has changed since my freshman year in High School ...

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

You play games because it orders your brain to release chemicals which create the sensation of pleasure.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By swordmagic

Ps3s were out when you were a 7th grader? Are you just really young or am I getting old. D:

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Dawglet

GOOGOOGAHGAHPOOPOO

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brandino

No offense but when you put content on there that is actually interesting and worth reading i will happily help get your name out there but it's bland and nothing new. Do yourself a favor and ditch the horribly bland tumblr and just pay a web designer to do something unique then make unique content or at least interesting articles/blogs. I understand it's new but if you really want to get your name out there you have to do something that everyone else ISNT doing.

You offer nothing that i can't get from a million other blogs so get a site down and write interesting blogs/articles, do some interesting video content, maybe a podcast. Again no offense but strive to be different, not bland. I scrapped a bunch of great ideas for a website years back because it's very hard to get your name out there and it's hard to be different, personally my idea was mostly video/audio based and you need a team to do it which it sounds like you have so try new things, try different things.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Arbie

Your friend has amazing hair!

Good luck with your project. =]

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ghost_cat

I get the feeling you are about to receive a beat down in terms of criticism. I know you guys are just trying to do this for fun, but this requires work, and everyone wants to produce good work. I'm sure many people will tell you "Do something unique" or "Write better", which are acceptable critiques, but your one argument video (DKR vs. Avengers) is a mess. If you are going to do these types of videos, never have one camera with an operator swinging it around from subject to subject (that's what you do with your smart phone art drunken parties). Document videos like this require at least two cameras, stationary, with appropriate angles. If you can't afford another camera (of the same/similar specs), then stick to audio output only (podcasts). As for the content of the video: it was shallow as hell. No one said anything significant to give their argument viable body and teeth. If you are not going to discuss about production values or cinematography, at least get into layers of the prime elements, like script and characters. Writing down a comprehensive paper for debates always helps. Listen, learn, and work hard.

skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By skilled_gamer

@Ghost_Cat: I welcome this criticism, we have to start somewhere. I'm tired of thinking of content ideas and not producing it. But thanks this helps a lot, I'm determined to take note.

It is fun, but I've always been told when trying to get into this field that you need to write. Even if no one is listening you need to try. I am trying to get a resume with this blog. I want to be able to go into an interview and reference the best articles I have written. I am working on the actual site right now, but it probably won't be up till December. I don't have the time to design it right now, once the semester is done I'll really be able to dig in and finish it. So for now my main concern is producing articles and videos. I have another camera that we're going to use next time, and I have a couple of ideas that I'm excited to put into practice to be different. Goal number 2 is to be consistent. I hope one day I can win my favorite audience, that is the giantbomb community. Thanks for the criticism guys.

skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skilled_gamer

@WolfHazard: I'm just really young, I am 18 right now. I got the PS3 at launch.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ghost_cat

@skilled_gamer: One of the key abilities to be successful is to take criticism, be cool, and learn from them. Glad to hear you taking it well, so keep on truckin' brother.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By aurahack

There is kind of no discussion to be had here--just promotion of your blog. Preeeeeeetty sure that's against the rules, mang. Especially in General Discussion.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

Try not spamming forums with your blog. That tends to go bad everywhere.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beeftothetaco

I don't think this is the best website to promote yourself on. People here usually don't like that.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

I hope that's not your best work, half of the article is just a bunch of questions, questions you never answer.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

Yes, this is promotion in a way that the forums don't allow. The topic's gonna get locked as a result.

(Message me and we'll talk about some stuff, if you're interested.)