#1 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

Hello Giant Bomb community. I am a new user and as the title suggest I need your help. I am going on a study abroad with my college in Japan for the rest of the month. While I am there I am hoping to find some cool video game stuff (mainly a Hyrule Historia) and some music.

Does anyone know of any good shops or stores I should try and go to? I know we are going to be in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka. I have heard of Akihabra and denden town but that is about it. I am looking to not get completely ripped off, but I know that is going to be hard since I am a tall white guy who cant speak Japanese O_O. Any advice on this or just some cool stuff to do or check out will be appreciated. Either way it is going to be a really fun trip as we are going to be studying Japanese business and the innovations in culture and tradition. Thanks hope to get some of yalls feedback and advice.

#2 Posted by OppressiveStink (356 posts) -

I hear super potato has some cool vintage stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAvB0z3FbM

I'm pretty sure Akihabara is full of old electronics shops and stuff.

Have fun duder!

#3 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

get used to fish

#4 Posted by OppressiveStink (356 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

get used to fish

Thanks to you, I now how a drinking problem.

#5 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

@Bell_End: Fortunately I like fish, sushi and most asian food. The food is another reason I am excited about going and I'm going to try and avoid most American food while I am there. Though... I may go crazy by the end.

#6 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Do you have a guide/host for this trip? I'd ask them as locals know the best about their city.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Man, I wish was still here. He could give you tips on how to get laid in Japan.

#8 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

They only gave you a couple of days notice that you were going to Japan? My advice, switch to a school that has their crap together & gives you more lead time on when they are going to totally change your life around, or stop procrastinating & research this stuff earlier to be better prepared!

#9 Posted by SpaceRunaway (860 posts) -

@BombcastGoldthwait said:

They only gave you a couple of days notice that you were going to Japan? My advice, switch to a school that has their crap together & gives you more lead time on when they are going to totally change your life around, or stop procrastinating & research this stuff earlier to be better prepared!

Haha, I came in to post that the title makes it sound like you're being kidnapped.

#10 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway said:

@BombcastGoldthwait said:

Haha, I came in to post that the title makes it sound like you're being kidnapped.

It was a bit dramatic!!!!

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (6675 posts) -

Ask Pepsiman.

#12 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

@BombcastGoldthwait: True sorry. I have done some research but the whole thing has been a bit overwhelming.

#13 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Watch out for tentacles.

#14 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

If you're into sweets make sure you check out all the different kinds of candy. Also, make sure you get a massage and remember to ask for a Happy Ending.

P.S. Disregard the last sentence...I would hate to see you expelled, be safe and enjoy your time there.

#15 Posted by wreakOnes (43 posts) -

I live in Japan and will tell you that Akihabara is a sad and sickening place that I want to get in and out of as fast as possible. It's good for finding deals on electronics and that is the only reason I go there from time to time... That and a sweet fucking ramen shop.

I say you go and check out Nakano Broadway on the west side of Tokyo. Just walk all the way to the back until you enter what kind of looks like a stylish outlet mall from the late 70's. It's filled with cool shops that are mostly related to retro gaming and other related stuffs.

For some reason I can't post photos but you can just Google Nakano Broadway to figure out what it looks like. It's situated directly across from the stations main exit.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4621 posts) -

Don't forget to buy a lamp.

#17 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

don't forget your toothpaste.

#18 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Or at least tell you some place to go for lunch with your friends. Possibly where fat kids are present.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@laserbolts:

You can get that shit anywhere; Tofugu isn't gonna tell you how to get Japanese pussy. Hell, he'd recommend against that (although I must admit that vaginae are fairly terrible at teaching you how to use particles).

#20 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Corey_F said:

@Bell_End: Fortunately I like fish, sushi and most asian food. The food is another reason I am excited about going and I'm going to try and avoid most American food while I am there. Though... I may go crazy by the end.

I guess they have lots of Westernised dishes there and stuff.  Its a bit different from what you might expect back home but at least youll be sane!  And have fun! 

@Video_Game_King said:

Man, I wish @KaosAngel was still here. He could give you tips on how to get laid in Japan.

Theres only one tip that works: be white
#21 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:But without the use of a vagina how would have I learned how to use は,を,andの?

#22 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Bocam:

This seems a pretty good way of doing it. Besides, how would a vagina teach you how to use dake or ni or yori?

#23 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

desu

#24 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I'm not saying vaginas can teach you everything, just some things.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Bocam:

Then how do I learn how to use counters? What do I have to do? Suck a dick or something?

#26 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -
#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Bocam:

You know that I can't do shit with Japanese, and you recommend a game that's nothing but language comprehension/recognition? I'd troll you in kind, but I don't know you well enough to know what would be a good enough troll (just saying "Katawa Shoujo" ain't enough).

#28 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Muv Luv is in english. Though just saying Katawa Shoujo is enough.

#29 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

You don't know Japanese...well; that gonna be fun, for the japanese.

#30 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: I am really excited. It should be a lot of fun. I will probably not want to go back home.

#31 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

@clumsyninja1: Yea... I figure I am screwed on the language barrier. Should be fun either way.

#32 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Or at least tell you some place to go for lunch with your friends. Possibly where fat kids are present.

Here you go, for nostalgia sake.

Sup fools,
Eating some Frosted Flakes as I watch the on going trial of Casey Anthony, her mom is a lying bitch, and they got some story about how fat kids are having a hard time adjusting to summer life. Pro-tip, lose some fucking weight so you don't give off the fat-person smell...plus you might be able to chase down the Ice Cream truck. Anyways, it got me thinking about the new F2P update in TF2 and how I can't idle in my favorite server anymore...as F2P accounts are idling.
Good news! New Plugin for server admins is released and it auto-kicks the "gamers" who are "playing" TF2, and you can leave a message saying if they pay in a hat or two...they'll be allowed to play.
With all these new F2P losers taking up my slots in my favorite servers, it's a good thing to see that the vast majority of my favorite servers did indeed start using this plugin.
Heads up for everyone else, if these F2P users want to play on my TF2...give me a fucking hat.
EDIT: F2P users can just pay 5 bucks and be upgraded. No loss, and Valve makes money...you want Valve to make money right?
#33 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@laserbolts said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Here you go, for nostalgia sake.

Sup fools,
Eating some Frosted Flakes as I watch the on going trial of Casey Anthony, her mom is a lying bitch, and they got some story about how fat kids are having a hard time adjusting to summer life. Pro-tip, lose some fucking weight so you don't give off the fat-person smell...plus you might be able to chase down the Ice Cream truck. Anyways, it got me thinking about the new F2P update in TF2 and how I can't idle in my favorite server anymore...as F2P accounts are idling.
Good news! New Plugin for server admins is released and it auto-kicks the "gamers" who are "playing" TF2, and you can leave a message saying if they pay in a hat or two...they'll be allowed to play.
With all these new F2P losers taking up my slots in my favorite servers, it's a good thing to see that the vast majority of my favorite servers did indeed start using this plugin.
Heads up for everyone else, if these F2P users want to play on my TF2...give me a fucking hat.
EDIT: F2P users can just pay 5 bucks and be upgraded. No loss, and Valve makes money...you want Valve to make money right?

hahaha I never thought I would say it but I sorta miss that crazy bastard.

#34 Edited by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@Corey_F said:

Hello Giant Bomb community. I am a new user and as the title suggest I need your help. I am going on a study abroad with my college in Japan for the rest of the month. While I am there I am hoping to find some cool video game stuff (mainly a Hyrule Historia) and some music.

Does anyone know of any good shops or stores I should try and go to? I know we are going to be in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka. I have heard of Akihabra and denden town but that is about it. I am looking to not get completely ripped off, but I know that is going to be hard since I am a tall white guy who cant speak Japanese O_O. Any advice on this or just some cool stuff to do or check out will be appreciated. Either way it is going to be a really fun trip as we are going to be studying Japanese business and the innovations in culture and tradition. Thanks hope to get some of yalls feedback and advice.

You're more likely to find someone who won't service you because your a westerner, rather than someone who tries to rip you off. But in places like Tokyo, you shouldn't have any major problems. If you're going with a group, then it's probably going to be fairly guided.

I actually found that places like Naruto in Tokushima had a fantastic selection of games. Easier to sort through those games than in Akihabara during the 2 weeks we had the first time I went, but we also spent more time in Naruto than in Tokyo. I got a mint-condition Super Mario RPG with box, Chrono Trigger, and a handful of other games when I visited Naruto in 2008.

I bought a new PSP in 2009 when I lived there too. Some things there are cheaper, so be sure to compare prices and check if it's region locked or not. I'm sure your teacher has shown you videos of the trains in Tokyo. So be careful not to get separated from your group. If you can, learn the train system ASAP. It makes life easier if you can learn how the map works. The colors on the map and the trains match too, so that makes life a bit easier, unless you're colorblind.

Some places don't allow you to take pictures, so be aware of that.

@Corey_F said:

Western food in Japan is different from America. But I recommend you drink some C.C. Lemon and visit a CoCo Ichibanya at least once during your trip. C.C. Lemon is fucking great and CoCo Ichibanya is possibly the best curry restaurant I've ever eaten. Try to find some Okonomiyaki too. Since you'll be in Osaka, you can try Kansai-style Okonomiyaki. If you end up in Hiroshima, try Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki. Udon, Soba, and Ramen are all different types of noodles. Udon is the thickest, Ramen is normal, and Soba is the thinnest. That's the best way to tell the difference. Japanese food in Japan is also a little different from what you've had in America.

If you're arriving at night, do your best to stay awake most of the plane ride. You'll crash hard your first night, but you'll wake up early and feel incredible the next day. If it's anything like it was when I went, you'll be getting up at 6am or sooner to meet your teacher for a full day of train rides, walking, and site seeing.

If you can get some Gayo, that might be an interesting experience for you as well.

#35 Posted by unordinarily (100 posts) -

VISIT THE POKECENTER.

My boyfriend is stationed on the USS George Washington in Yokosuka. He took pics there. Supremely jealous.

#36 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Bring a towel and a toothbrush. Oh, and go see Shigeru Miyamoto. I bet he will show you around the city.

#37 Posted by AdzPearson (201 posts) -

I've been to Japan twice. I can only provide limited advice about game shops, however. Super Potato (both in Akihabara and Den Den Town) are worth a visit. The Akihabara branch has an arcade, as well as a chair made out of cartridges. The chair was already broken when my friends and I last went (last summer), but it may have been fixed by now. As someone else has already said, Nakano Broadway is also worth a look (although make sure you visit in the afternoon, when most of the stores open). For more modern games, there's Gamers.

If you're into arcades, there are some dotted all over the place in Tokyo. My personal favourite is in Shibuya, as it has a nice 50 yen arcade downstairs with all kinds of retro games. There's also several other floors with various genres (music, fighting, shooting etc.). Shinjuku is a nice place for arcades, too. If you find yourself in one of the Yodobashi Camera stores (the one that obviously caters to games), go up in the lift for a 'secret' arcade. It's full of interactive card games. I also recommend Club Sega, which is fairly easy to find. The rest of them might require a wander around.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask. No guarantees I can help, but I'll try.

#38 Posted by loldetaerleo (159 posts) -

Go to an arcade, play Tekken tag 2.

#39 Posted by Echo (391 posts) -

Super Potato prices aren't any better than eBay or Yahoo Auctions these days. It's a neat shop to check out, but don't expect crazy bargains on old stuff.

#40 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Soapland!

#41 Posted by Kscorps (55 posts) -

Check out this guy's videos about Hard Off, this is one store I want to check out if I ever end up in Japan.

#42 Posted by Flacracker (1639 posts) -

Weeaboos all up in this thread.

#43 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

@OppressiveStink said:

I hear super potato has some cool vintage stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAvB0z3FbM

I'm pretty sure Akihabara is full of old electronics shops and stuff.

Have fun duder!

I have a friend who is very familiar with Tokyo, and he tells me Akihabara is a video gamer's heaven. He made it sound like a city built out of video games. I want to go. So, yeah, Akihabara.

#44 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4961 posts) -

@unordinarily said:

VISIT THE POKECENTER.

My boyfriend is stationed on the USS George Washington in Yokosuka. He took pics there. Supremely jealous.

What?! A real Pokécenter?!... I want to go there, right now.

#45 Posted by unordinarily (100 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: I fucking know, dude. I am so jealous of the boyfriend. There are some in the states but usually inside Nintendo stores, I think. Do a Google image search of like "pokemon center tokyo" .. paradise.