Help Identifiying a Classic Game

Cassita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cassita

Hey all, I'm new here--long time lurker, first time poster. I played a TBS / board game / rpg a long time ago, and have long since forgotten it's name. For years and years I've wanted to go back and pick it up. I would be very grateful for any help in identifying it.

All I remember about it is it's setting and unit types; it was a medievil fantasy style game, with a dark twist. It was turn based strategy, but it had linear-ish paths--almost like a board game, but with more then one route, all leading to the same place. You created units from your 'base' and you could upgrade them. There was the knight class, the banshee class--that could be upgraded to become a specter--and I think vampires and wearwolves etc.

The combat started when two opposing units met on the same spot, where it would then enter a JRPG style turn based system, with all the units lining up to take turns attacking and casting spells. I remember 'grinding' though, so it may have had random encounters, with only major enemies visible.

Sorry I'm so vague, it's been a long time. Any help would be much appreciated.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Luke

Hmmmm... maybe Warsong or Ogre Battle? 

Cassita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cassita

Nice tattoo.

Nah, far darker and more 'realistic'--dare I say--in art style then those. Arg, it is driving me mad.

It is defiantly a computer game, most likely 95 era, maybe even 98.

EDIT: And there were no main characters, just units. Imagine if Rome: Total War, had more linear paths, the above mentioned unit types, and far fewer of them... Kinda, lol.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

Google'd a little and got "mage knight lancers", shall I have another look?

Cassita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cassita

I thought that was it for a second, but alas. I think it started with an 'M' or an 'N'. Not much help, I know, lol. It's so hard to describe.

You have a base, or starting point, and you build a unit that can move a certain number of tiles depending on it's type etc. But it didn't look like a board game. You can group units together also. The camera was straight up looking down, I think. I remember one level really well; it was in a dark, dead forest, and I made banshee's and knight's. They work almost like figurines during the movement part of the game, doing nothing but wait for you to move them. And the JRPG style battles took place with the camera behind your units, looking slightly down and across to the enemy. I remember the first boss/hard enemy was a knight on a horse, and he had two party members.

It's been so many years and I still can't remember it. it was so much fun too.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

Well, let's see if this help: (the first two seems the most plausible)

Heroes of Might and Magic
Dark Legions
Master of Magic
Hammer of the Gods

I don't know why, but I always think of Warcraft when you say some of those descriptions. Maybe some weird and obscure warcraft spin-off? If this don't help, don't worry. We'll continue to look for it.

Cassita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cassita

Winternet, I could kiss you. After looking up Dark Legion, I found the game - Disciples. Yay! it's taken ten years, but I finally found it, lol. I can't wait to play it again--nostalgia, here I come.

I've always loved the Giant Bomb community, so friendly :) I'll be adding some reviews, guides and posts and all that soon, now that I have some free time. Look forward to getting to know you guys and making some friends.

/runs off to find Disciples

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

That sounds familiar. I was thinking more along the lines of Strategic Simulations, Inc (SSI) Fantasy General.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet
@Cassita said:
" Winternet, I could kiss you. After looking up Dark Legion, I found the game - Disciples. Yay! it's taken ten years, but I finally found it, lol. I can't wait to play it again--nostalgia, here I come. I've always loved the Giant Bomb community, so friendly :) I'll be adding some reviews, guides and posts and all that soon, now that I have some free time. Look forward to getting to know you guys and making some friends. /runs off to find Disciples "
Always glad to help fellow giantbombers. Since you seem way into this game, why not edit the Disciples page? They are almost empty. Your insight will only benefit Giant Bomb.