Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Blur and Split/Second look awesome and has got me wanting to explore the racing genre, so what's a good starting point? 

I'm interested in Forza 3, or would that be too much to handle for a newbie?

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Somadude

AHHHHHHH.... I see what you did there.  

EDIT: I suck at racing games, but I actually liked Forza 2 a great deal. So to answer your question, yes, Forza is a good place to start.
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CaptainObvious

Remember, chicken and watermelon.... 

Oh. 

I guess Forza 3 would be a good start, I'm not a pro at racing games myself and I'm enjoying it.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chyro

If you want more arcade action like Blur and Split/Second I would pick up something like Burnout.

If you want actual simulation racing pick up Forza 3. It has a easy difficulty level and it will show you when to break and which line to take into the turn.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skytylz

You'd be fine playing Forza 3.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez

I think you'd be fine with Forza, Forza 3 has a lot of aids and assists you can use to help you out at the beginning.  Might as well start with the best.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By emkeighcameron

Dirt 2 is a lot of fun

Burnout Paradise is too, but it's a pretty light "racing" sim, it's more of a "watch cars flip for days" kind of sim

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Sir, I appreciate your use of wordplay more than you could imagine.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cloneslayer

Depends what you want. If you looking for something more towards simulation go with something like Forza, but if you want more arcade style, go with Burnout. Really they are two different beasts. Go out and rent one of the two (or both) and give them a try.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tooPrime

Burnout 3, followed by Burnout Revenge.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By blackbird415

burnout is a good game to go for.

If your looking for an introduction into simulation racing, forza3 is perfect, but if you get comfortable maybe go to gran turismo 5 when it comes out

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60

I expect somebody to come in here and only read the title.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#13  Edited By tearhead

One thing to note is that Blur and Split Second are arcade racers while Forza is more simulation. I myself rather arcade because it's more crazy fast drivin' corner driftin' fun. Simulation racers are far more realistic which is far less fun in my opinion. If I had to make a recommendation for a current racer to try out, I would say check out Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It's an arcade style racer, and I had tons of fun with that game. But when it comes to simulation style racing, Forza is currently the best.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By nanikore

Burnout 3: Takedown is a perfect starting point. It's an incredible game as well.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy

I have no answer to your question, im not much of a racer beyond Sega Rally and the non-racing parts of Burnout, but I approve of this thread purely based on the wordplay.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Romination
@Cloneslayer said:
" Depends what you want. If you looking for something more towards simulation go with something like Forza, but if you want more arcade style, go with Burnout. Really they are two different beasts. Go out and rent one of the two (or both) and give them a try. "
Different beasts, but both perfectly awesome in their own ways.

Based on you looking for Split/Second and Blur, Burnout would be a great start. It's mostly a time trial/destroy other things game, but oh my heavens, it's soooooo fun...
Forza actually wouldn't be too difficult because it's got a lot of assists. If you're a newb, you're going to be able to turn on auto brake, a racing line, and a plethora of similar things. As you get more adventurous, though, you'll be able to turn it off and indulge to your heart's content.
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Burns098356GX

I still think GTR and GTR2 are the 2 best racing sims ever created. But there defiantly not nub friendly.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmrwacko

Play Dirt 2. It has more casual driving mechanics than Forza 3, so it's a better middle-of-the-road racer, plus it's a beautiful game (maybe even moreso than Forza 3).

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Looks like Burnout has the majority. I'll go try to rent it and see where that takes me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

To be a racist, play grid or need for speed shift (looks sort of real, pc version and drives sort of fake yet real) to get into the genre. Then work your way to gtr2 and forza 3. Dirt 2 is overated though, could be better.

Freqtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Freqtal

Something in the Need for Speed-series, maybe? Seems people have been hating on the franchise since Underground (2?), but if you like some non-realistic arcady street-racing, they can be fun. Most Wanted is pretty good, and Carbon isn't bad either, even though the cutscenes are cheesy as hell.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chyro
@Holta: 

Which was the one with the Asian chick in the cut scenes?  It was one of the newer ones.  I found that game to be pretty disappointing up until the final mission.  Which was just awesome.  To bad the whole game couldn't have been like that.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#23  Edited By TobyD81

No reason not to own both Burnout Paradise and Forza 3. Both excellent games with very different styles of racing, both accessible to new players with enough depth for pros, both very fun.

Freqtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Freqtal
@Chyro:  That must be Undercover, which I played for like 30 minutes. Don't remember if that was because it was so bad, or something else, but I haven't heard much good about the game.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

Well done.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadow

Always remember: Asians have trouble driving.  That doesn't stop just because they're doing it in a video game.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By themartyr

Three words and one number: 

Project 
Gotham 
Racing 

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist

remember, colours.

i mean the paintjob of your car. always make it white.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman
@TheCreamFilling said:
" Blur and Split/Second look awesome and has got me wanting to explore the racing genre, so what's a good starting point?  I'm interested in Forza 3, or would that be too much to handle for a newbie? "
Forza 3 is definitely not too much for a newbie. It does a TON of things to make up for players of any skill level. Also, it's awesome.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Big Rigs

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aounslaught

If you want a good medium between sim and arcade, I would STRONGLY suggest Project Gotham Racing 4 before I would suggest Forza. PGR has a great selection of cars and it's the type of game where you can still pull off some stuff that you would find in arcade racers, while teaching you the importance of using the regular brake rather than the e-brake. Also, you can probably find it for $15 at the most these days.

If you want to go all out simulation, then Forza for sure. For arcade racing, both DiRT 2 and Grid are amazingly fun and Burnout Paradise is... well, Burnout.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

If you are looking for prime arcade racing, the Burnout franchise is a great place to start.  I would recommend you try out Grid or Dirt after that to move up a notch.  From there, hit up Project Gotham Racing and move on to some of the sim-styled games, like Forza and Gran Turismo. 

There's also a slew of other types of racing games out there.  The recent run of MotoGP since 08 has been pretty solid, and I've been finding myself playing a bit of Pure as well as MX vs ATV lately. 

It's really a great genre.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Computerplayer1

This thread could have been epic...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy

I really really enjoyed Dirt. I haven't played Forza 2 or 3 though, but Forza 1 is my favorite racing game I've played, I've played all those plus Sega GT 2002, GT3 and 4, Forza 1, Dirt. 

Get either Dirt or try Forza!

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By Jayross
@TheCreamFilling: heh, funny stuff.

Forza 3 is good for newbies too, the assists are awesome!
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By pirate_republic

Oh, I get it. Race-ist.

Aight.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rawrz

Burnout Revenge! I cant think of another racing game I found more fun, and I typically dont even like racing games. PGR 3 and 4 are also pretty noob friendly, and both Forza 2 and 3 are pretty good at easing new players in.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shirogane

Mario Kart DS is probably the closest thing in terms of gameplay to thsoe two games you mentioned. 

Forza plays completely differently. Also, no insane car flipping and exploding and spinning out.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kmdrkul

I recommend Dirt 2 or Burnout Paradise.  To be honest I find the actual racing of Forza 3 to be slow, sluggish, and just not very engaging.  That game makes driving in a Bugatti boring.  Dirt 2, Grid, Burnout, NFS: Shift, Motorstorm, all very fast-paced, thrilling racing games that will interest you.  Split/Second and Blur both look like solid titles as well, but I trust the Blur developers more. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Systech

Fine, fine thread title, I must say. Unfortunately I haven't played Forza 3.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By adoggz
@TheCreamFilling: well, since you're so interested in becoming a racist I suggest you go talk to the master racist, The Norwegian King of all Racists, Chris Antista smells like pizza over at gamsradr dot corm