Help me decide to/or not to buy a 360.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By rbanke
EDIT:   Lol so after I decided I'd wait, my wife is like 'you want it, why dont you just get one'. So, order placed. 4gb 360+ 250gb hdd + $50 amazon credit for $290 shipped. 

So I've been considering a 360 for a while. I have not picked one up yet because I have a gaming pc and ps3 and it seems real exclusives are slim on the 360 lately. However, my pc and 2 ps3's are all now waiting for parts/going to repair due to lightning so with the current 50$ gift card on Amazon, I'm really tempted. I can think of a handful of older games that Ive wanted to play like crackdown, gears of war, maybe halo series, and some exclusive XBLA games. But what has there been in the last year, or this coming year that is worth buying a 3rd platform for? With the Kinect success, I'm slightly worried MS is focusing all their exclusive efforts into things I'll have zero interest in going forward. 

Assuming the decision is to get one, which is the way to go? 4gb Arcade and wait for a 250gb HDD to go on sale? or just buy the 250gb system? Also, what is the smart buy price for 1year Live cards? I always see people say dont buy them at full price.

Sorry for the dumb post, just looking for some opinions.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

With the Kinect success, I'm slightly worried MS is focusing all their exclusive efforts into things I'll have zero interest in going forward.     

Well, that hasn't been the case at all thus far.

Go for it if you want one. Oh yeah, and I'd get the 250GB. It's the future, dawg. You need HDD space.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to play dead or alive 4 or other games in the series, but nothing else. I see the 4 gb version on sale and i'm tempted.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By No0b0rAmA

You probably shouldn't spend money on a whole new system + the games you have to buy.
Upgrade your PC?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Tough call. I personally think Ms and Sony are pretty even on the exclusive front (my tastes are just more towards the Microsoft stuff) but I don't know if either consoles exclusive offering is really worth a console purchase when there's sooo much good multiplatform stuff out there.

I really can't tell you what you should do, everyone has to calculate the value for themselves. I will say if you do buy one, I would strongly recommend the 250gb system.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Choffy

If you want one, then get one. Don't let a few small questions stop you from getting a great console. You shouldn't need a community to decide for you. Simply look at games you want, and if the list is long enough and you want it, get it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bybeach

Wait till 2012,they are suppossed to have a new one out. Not I'm not bullshitting, Yes i want MS to have another sale.  Well yes I'm bullshitting

Gears of war 3 guy. And X-boxes actually do work for a while these days! Buy the 250 gig and don't hamper yourself. Some ppl. save those i month cards for when they actually want them, sounds like a hassle. But I do not have a gold membership, anyways.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By tourgen

first, sorry about the lightning man.  that's a real bummer.  I hope you had home owners or renters insurance and documentation.

If you're only looking at a 360 for crackdown and gears forget it.  Gears can be pretty fun but it's not worth  buying a console for.  Crackdown is just O.K.  Infamous was just as fun.

But if you do get one, since you mentioned the XBLA exclusives, you should probably get a hard drive version.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By commandercup

I had the opposite dilemma a while back as I had a PC and a 360, but was considering a PS3. I ended up buying the PS3, then returning it because I didn't like it. I'd say stick with your PS3 and just playing the exclusives you really want to try out at a friend's place.

If you do get one, you could go for a generic hard drive if you want to be thrifty although there are no guarantees on the quality of generic drives. I ended up buying a brand new 250GB hard drive on Amazon at a generic price because the seller made a mistake on the listing. Having said all that, I still have a lot of space left, so I doubt that many people actually need that much space.
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By p_p_o_d

e3 is just around the corner.  it would be smart to wait and see what they have there if your worried they are going to go all Kinect crazy.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bubbly

You should wait till E3 to see if Microsoft announces good non Kinect exclusives. You already have a PC and PS3 so you have all your multiplatform games covered. Only reason for you to buy a 360 would be for its exclusives. Try take a look at the 360s exclusives now and after E3. If there are games that you really want to play then go for it. I've had a 360 since 2007 and have definitely been disappointed in the exclusives since the Kinect was announced. I bought my PS3 a year ago (already had a decent PC and 360) and it only plays exclusives. Considering how great their exclusives have been recently it was definitely worth it. For Live and MS point cards I definitely recommend ebay or amazon. Can get a year of Live around $20 cheaper from those places.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By infininja

You shouldn't because you used a slash and or when you shouldn't have.

madblazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By madblazer

you should buy it and play the gears of war games and mass effect.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy it, and you could renew your xbox live gold membership every month for a single dollar.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sameeeeam
@JJWeatherman said:
"

With the Kinect success, I'm slightly worried MS is focusing all their exclusive efforts into things I'll have zero interest in going forward.     

Well, that hasn't been the case at all thus far.

Go for it if you want one. Oh yeah, and I'd get the 250GB. It's the future, dawg. You need HDD space.
"
Yeah, they seem to be doing nothing interesting or resource heavy with Kinect so far. Although, E3 is just around the corner, and the focus of Microsoft's efforts going forward might become clearer then.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

Save the money. Even if you get a cheap refurbished 360 for around $100, once you buy the games you are looking at an extra $200-$300, plus you gotta pay to play any of those online. Assuming anyone is even playing them any more. Most of the games you mentioned were only popular because of their multiplayer, and without it they are rather bad, or at least something you would burn through in a couple sittings and be done with. Not really worth spending all that money for maybe a week or two of games.

Wait until the 720, and buy them then for half the price. Unless you are rich and got money to throw away, I would just wait for your stuff to get back.

The simple thing to do is just sit down and make a list of all the games the 360 has that you can't get on your PS3 or PC. Then ask yourself if that's worth the $300-$400+ it will cost to buy it all.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Evilsbane

Dude Gears 3 is about to come out, Reach is an awesome game believe me I love the series 2 and 3 were eh but reach was a real throwback to 1 and I really enjoyed it, awesome multi of course. I hope kinect will bring fruit but that will end up being decided by how good the kinect really is when talent has a hold of it, plus XBLA go play Shadow Complex.

Edit My god im tired wrote that like I was drunk...

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kjellm87

If it is exclusives you're after I would recommend a Wii.

It has most games you won't find elsewhere, many are quality.
Cheap, specially used.
VC has a tons of old classics that should keep you busy, Wiiware has some gems too.
Wiis are solid consoles that don't break easily.
Free online.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By CharleyTony

I bought a 360 first  then a PS3 and last year I got a Wii.

My personal conclusion is that you might think you want that other system you do not currently have. The fact is that the games on PS3 and 360 have so much overlap... Multiplatform games end up being almost exactly  the same. Exclusives don't show up on both systems but most of these games cancel each other out. Forza & Gran Turismo for exemple, you wouldn't need to play both of them.
I prefer the Xbox 360 controller and most of the games I buy are on that platform. After some spring cleaning and selling some games that I finished and would not play anymore, I realized that there are about 5 games on PS3 that I would really keep in the long run.
After buying a Wii really late in the cycle, I had fun with the Nintendo brand games but was disappointed with my purchase. With the price of those machines and accessories and games, I am starting to think that you are better off sticking to one console. You might get "console envy" when something great comes out only for another system. Keep cool, just like you dont need to buy every game on release day...

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kjellm87
@CharleyTony:
I think that is a problem right there with the Wii, people enjoy Nintendos in-house games but think that is all to it,
but actually there is 3rd party games people should try out there, but those games get badly overlooked.

I wish GB would do a QL of them for a change and not whenever Ubisoft makes a cash-in game.
mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By mutley

Get one

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to play dead or alive 4 or other games in the series, but nothing else. I see the 4 gb version on sale and i'm tempted. "
I hate you and you do not deserve to live.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MisterChief
@MysteriousBob said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
" I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to play dead or alive 4 or other games in the series, but nothing else. I see the 4 gb version on sale and i'm tempted. "
I hate you and you do not deserve to live. "
Luckily for you the Illuminate will take care of him.
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexxan

Get one, you can't miss out on Alan Wake, Halo and Gears of War, you just can't.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoeyIA

I just bought another Xbox from Amazon on Thursday.  They're giving a $50 credit on the 4GB and the HDD is on sale for like $95, so I bought the xbox and then the HDD after they put the credit into my account.

Delusibeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Delusibeta

We are very much in the area in which I would be very hesitant to buy a console without the fear of said console getting replaced. I expect a new Xbox within the next two years or so, and prices of the 360 should drop by a bit around then.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Giacomito
@rbanke: I was pondering the same decision a couple months ago.
I'm currently away from home and have no access to my ps3, which is what got me to think I might buy a 360 .
And as you I was worried because of the lack of new exclusives and not being able to justify buying a new console.
However, I bought it and I don't regret it, it's pretty sweet console, especially if you've never owned an xbox before which I havent. I really think Xbox live is cool, and I see why people think the PS3 still has catching up to do when it comes to online stuff.

I was thinking I'd play old exclusives so I bought Halo Reach and Gears 2, really enjoy Gears 2 but Halo isn't for me. I think Gears is pretty awesome.
But I think the best game I've played on the 360 so far is Alan Wake, that game alone is worth the purchase I think, it's really good.
Another cool thing is if you're into JRPGs, 360 is kinda the console for that this gen, lost odyssey is awesome so far.

Also, a lot of mutiplatforms work better. I've always been interested in bayonetta for example but ps3 port is awful, so now I can play bayonetta as it's intended and with non-broken framerate.

Also, XBLA games are sick, Limbo, Super meat boy, Shadow complex and so on.

So yeah, I say if these things interest you, definitley get one, they are pretty cheap right now and has a pretty good back catalogue of cheap games =)
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By James_ex_machina

Wait til after E3 for any possible price drops. 

I prefer the xbox360 because of the controller and I like LIVE. Sure I have to pay but I get my value out of it.
Sony does have more exclusives that interests me but I'm waiting for the PS3 to hit my price range.
rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rbanke

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to get one, but now I'll wait until after E3 to see if anything changes. After seeing the games mentioned and thinking about it a bit more there is definitly enough stuff I cant play elsewhere that justifies it even if they dont come out with many new exclusives this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Shadow Complex is pretty good, you should play that.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Siphillis

I love how curated the Xbox experience is: from the Marketplace to Xbox Live to the controller to installing games to your hard drive.  If most of your real-life friends have Xbox 360s, and at least some of the exclusive franchises appeal to you, then the choice is obvious.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rbanke

Lol so after I decided I'd wait, my wife is like 'you want it, why dont you just get one'. So, order placed. 4gb 360+ 250gb hdd + $50 amazon credit for $290 shipped. 

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mau64

It's worth it. The exclusives are quite good and XBLA has some amazing games.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Immuniity

How to decide if you want a console

1) Does it have games i like?
2) Are these games not available on any systems i own?
3) Is there a critical mass of games that fall into category 1 and 2 that make me want to buy the console?
4) If yes to 3, buy console. If No, do not buy the console.
5) Do you still really really want it anyway?
6) Just buy it.

Additional information: Do not buy the smallest model.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By willylo

I really enjoy all the platforms, I think just for the exclusives alone between them it's worth it to have them all. If you really feel like you want to play those games on 360 you can't on the other platforms, the price on the 4gb is more then reasonable. Just lacks a lot if you wanna do online stuff.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By nukesniper
@rbanke: A good price for a Live card is usually $40 a year now. I just got a daily deal on one a few days ago for $35, and that is the best I have seen since the price went up to $60 standard. Amazon is currently at $44, which isn't too bad. You could probably do a bit better though.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By grilledcheez

Don't get one.  It's good as a primary platform but since you already have one, I wouldn't worry about it.  I bought the PS3 for a handful of games and kinda regret it.

Edit: TOO LATE
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Do it.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By fox01313

Definitely grab the HDD & I know that there's occasional sales on XBL for the gold account memberships but most places have those prices pretty well set. Between the PS3 & 360, I just prefer the weight & feel of the 360 controller, the ps3 controller just feels like it's built of styrofoam & had a few of them break on me while the 360 controllers might be chipped but functional.  I think between PSN & XBL, Xbox Live is a lot easier to navigate on seeing what's new plus the earlier 360 & xbox titles are always popping up on the digital space of XBL to pick up. That being said I had an Xbox360 one year after launch & that one died, since then with the replacement that came before the sleek/silent one came out, the only thing I have had to upgrade was going from the stock 20GB HDD to the larger one without hassle. Only technical issue I've had with the 360 is that the recharge batteries, esp. the 3rd party ones (believe it's Nyko) don't last but you can leave it plugged in & works fine.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kjellm87

I still think a PS and Wii would be a better combo.
But it is up to you I suppose.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rbanke
@Kjellm87: already have 2 ps3's both are being repaired. I sold my wii a couple months after I bought it in 2007 because I can't stand how bad it looks on an HDTV, will buy the games i missed when they re-release on the next Nintendo.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kjellm87
@rbanke said:
" @Kjellm87: already have 2 ps3's both are being repaired. I sold my wii a couple months after I bought it in 2007 because I can't stand how bad it looks on an HDTV, will buy the games i missed when they re-release on the next Nintendo. "
Fair enough.
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By McShank

Dont buy one.. Its a waste. Gears is not that great of a game, halo is over rated and crackdown... never played and never will. And xbla is not worth it as alot of XBLA games are also on the ps3 or PC. And from what others have been saying about Mass effect and crap, its already on ps3 and pc so why buy a third gaming system? no point.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Go for it, there is a ton to play on it.